28. Mär 2024, 12:48 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: DrHouse93's Map Pack  (Gelesen 39570 mal)

DrHouse93

• Elronds Berater
Re: DrHouse93's Map Pack
« Antwort #90 am: 24. Mär 2017, 11:36 »
My bad, then XD
Yes, there are two shipyards for the invaders: one in the northern bank, and one in the southern bank. Each one has a strategic importance because, if the defenses are breached, the invaders can attack the defender from two sides, meaning it has to defend 6 gates, rather than 3

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #91 am: 24. Mär 2017, 19:18 »
Such an excellent solution, DH! I always find myself in total awe in front of marine gates or walls. It has to do with particular memories of my childhood, to which I don't know if you can relate. I'm talking about the mighty marine gates of Constantinople in the Attila campaign of Age of Empires. They therefore are the symbol of greatly fortified city and of a naval superpower, as Constantinople was in those centuries and in the centuries to follow  8-)

And here we come, again, with an interesting correlation between Gondor and the Roman Empire (both Western and Eastern). A truly fitting reference to the mighty warfare and architectural mastery of Númenor. I don't know if you were thinking about all of this when you crafted it, DH, but it's great nonetheless  :D

DrHouse93

• Elronds Berater
« Antwort #92 am: 24. Mär 2017, 19:30 »
You know me, I was obviously thinking to all this. It always bothered me that EA didn't give a minimal hint to the Numenoreans' skills as sailors, therefore something had to be done. Plus, I was also keeping in mind that Tolkien has identified Arnor as the Western Roman Empire, and Gondor as the Eastern Roman Empire, later known as the Bizantine Empire, with Minas Tirith being a portrayal of Constantinople (although Tolkien stated that they main difference is that Minas Tirith didn't fall)

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #93 am: 25. Mär 2017, 00:37 »
It's great to hear that antiquity is often the main inspiration behind these brilliant concepts. And I obviously share your views: taken for granted the legendary and absolutely iconic legacy of the Eldar, I believe it's not commonly known and acknowledged how the very Númenor became sensationally powerful during the Second Age. Their grandiose craftsmanship was combined with an ever-growing expansionistic desire for lands and other realms to rule over. Safe from the troubles of Middle-earth and with the sacred privilege to be the closest mortal territory to Aman, Númenor was thus given the opportunity to thrive and reach the apex of its splendour, until it became a maritime superpower and decided to unleash its imperialistic potential on the mortal continent. We could therefore draw a comparison even with the British Empire, and with how England eventually evolved in a fish-island and so was able to project its power all over the world; the same thing regarding wealth and the monopoly of trade routes.

A superpower which grew even mightier than the remnants of the Noldor in Middle-earth, after the very Eldar had diminished considerably once the wars of Beleriand had ended and after the return of the hosts of the West to Valinor. One should just consider the fact that the armies of Mordor were forced to be disbanded in front of the majesty of Ar-Pharazôn the Golden, to whom Sauron himself was obliged to kneel (with the One Ring on his finger). A so dreadful of a warfare that even the Valar were in doubt whether they should confront them openly, both to avoid the massacre of Men and fearing that the confrontation would risk to bring ruin within the very Blessed Realm. Yes, this is quite extraordinary to ponder about.

I'm sorry, it wasn't meant to be an essay, but I hope I explained myself enough clearly  :)

DrHouse93

• Elronds Berater
« Antwort #94 am: 25. Mär 2017, 00:41 »
Don't lie, we all know you absolutely love essays  :D

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #95 am: 25. Mär 2017, 03:49 »
It's not that I love essays. I just can't get away from them  :D