17. Apr 2024, 00:24 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Tol-in-Gaurhoth  (Gelesen 4977 mal)

NetoD20

• Gastwirt zu Bree
  • BAN-KAI! Tear off... Golden Demon Slayer Jizõ!!!
Tol-in-Gaurhoth
« am: 18. Apr 2015, 04:27 »
So, this spell seems kind of unnecessary as it is currently presented.

It's kind of a downer to read about a Silmarillion castle and get the old regular Mordor fort instead. I understand that it would be difficult to introduce and adapt the epic book concept of the Isle of Werewolves to the game. And of course, one can argue that, although unimpressive, the spell may be mechanically useful in the game.

That said I wish to suggest how to change this power completely in order to make it more impressive and interesting. Instead of using it on empty space to summon the current fort, Sauron would cast this power upon the main Mordor castle/camp in which the player begins.

The aim of the power would then be to change the castle, to actually turn it into the likeness of what Tol-in-Gaurhoth would be in the game. So when the player uses the spell upon his castle all the 150r towers would crumble as garrisonable walls of gray stone and dark metal would emerge around the base, circled by a lava moat. The player would then be able to close the gates and build extension towers and portculli. In case of a starting camp instead of a castle you would have non-garrisonable walls.

In addition, vampire bats would circle the citadel giving it more vision and any unused build plot could be used to build a exclusive Tol-in-Gaurhoth building in which you can recruit werewolves and wizards (the place was once also called the Wizard's Isle).

Finally, I know Mordor is an offensive faction, but given that this is a level 10 Sauron power I would argue that this benefit wouldn't be that much a gamechanger at so late in the game.

I look forward to read what you guys have to say and hope that the Team considers this idea, if possible.

Have a nice weekend.

P.S. there shuld be some kind of shadow/lightning effect around the castle during the rise of the walls so it shows how this is a magical effect resultant from the Dark Lord's will and not a regular building construction.

NetoD20

• Gastwirt zu Bree
Re: Tol-in-Gaurhoth
« Antwort #1 am: 18. Apr 2015, 04:36 »
P.S.2 I would als suggest the Ettenmoor's towers as the wall's extension towers.

Spacetyrant93

• Wanderer des Alten Waldes
« Antwort #2 am: 18. Apr 2015, 17:22 »
I have to say this sounds as an awesome idea.

Truth to be told, I kinda missed the old fortress and its upgrades, and was pleasantly surprised to see it wasn't lost. Yet, your point is valid and makes sense. It is kind of unimpressive for a level 10 spell of Sauron himself. True, gives one additional fort (adding to the castle, Minas Morgul and Dol Guldur, which may be kinda too much) and has unlimited Werewolves, which is awesome, but...this is still Sauron we're talking about.

For Mordor to become actually fortified would be awesome, after all Barad-dur itself was under siege once, and Mordor itself is completely fortified and invasion-proof thatns to its mountain ranges and the Black Gate. One doesn't simply walk into Mordor in fact. It wouldn't really break Edain's theme of the aggressiveness of the evil factions, since we all know it takes time for Sauron to get to level 10. This of course gives us all the more of a reason to try and level him up and obtain the Ring and/or Gorthaur.
Plus, it would be great to have the big-ass Lava Moat! (perhaps though the same could be done for Imladris's Crystal Moat) Yet, perhaps both garrisoned walls AND Lava Moat is kida too much. I suppose the moat would prevent rams from attacking, even if Catapults should have no problem in that, and also prevent Goblins from scaling the walls. PErhaps just the moat around the castle would be better. Don't know about the storm attacking though.
In the end, I'd say either garrisonable walls and moat around the castle, or ungarrisonable walls and moat around said walls.

The vampires would be nice, though maybe too similar to MM's, and I don't know about Wizards, I'm more inclined to think said 'Wizard' was Sauron himself, but I don't know really.

If I may, I would propose an alternative: What if this power took the place of ''Power from the Past Ages'' in the spellbook? I know it sounds weird, but just read this out:
Sauron himself will return to his old self, given time and, of course, levels. This would be an ability he could get.
Tol-in-Gaurhoth would offer an alternative to Grond: do you play more offensively going to crush your opponents with the Hammer of the Underworld, or play on the defensive and fortify your castle with ancient magic and solid walls? Sauron was not above playing defensively, as we saw during the siege of Barad-dur.

This would make the faction even more unique than it already is. I'll say what I would change about Sauron in a different post.

In the ent, a great idea NetoD20, it really does sound awesome!  ;)

Sir_Stig

• Gastwirt zu Bree
« Antwort #3 am: 21. Apr 2015, 22:33 »
^ What spacetyrant said.

jcaramhir

• Bilbos Festgast
  • I am the Eye of thee, to whom they bounty to thee.
« Antwort #4 am: 2. Jun 2015, 14:57 »
when im playing Mordor faction...i also imagined that kind of idea of yours >> NetoD20
thats awesome  ;)

hope more players agree to that  xD

"Shre nazg golûgranu kilmi-nudu
Ombi kuzddûrbagu gundum-ishi!

"Three rings for the elven kings under the sky
Seven for the dwarf-lords in their halls of stone"

NetoD20

• Gastwirt zu Bree
« Antwort #5 am: 5. Jun 2015, 05:37 »
This is the Ettemoors towers I was talking about as extension towers, sorry but I had no better or close-up photo, though I believe this object really exists on Worldbuilder.

helloa2134

• Pförtner von Bree
« Antwort #6 am: 10. Jun 2015, 17:48 »
While I do find the idea extremely interesting, I am just not convinced that it really 'fits' the faction.  More than any other released faction, Mordor focuses on reckless aggression at the expense of defense (a theme which can be found in the lack of Mordor hero buffs, huge amount of debuffs, free orc hordes which can be easily sacrificed, etc.)

A second problem with giving Mordor walls, is that it detracts from the uniqueness of Angmar, which is to be the only evil faction which will be protected with walkable walls. If, and this is only speculation based on Edain 3.8.1, Angmar has a 10-point spell similar to "The Witch-King's Sanctum" (one of Angmar's ultimate spells in 3.8.1, which made the main fortress of Angmar stronger), then the similarity between Tol-in-Gaurhoth and Angmar's fortress would be even greater. 

The lore-based argument, that Barad-dur was once under siege and so Mordor should be able to defend its fortress with walls, is not really compelling for the main reason that the  Mordor player's fortress is not Barad-dur itself.

Spacetyrant93

• Wanderer des Alten Waldes
« Antwort #7 am: 1. Jul 2015, 11:08 »
Yes, you are right, it is perhaps the most valid argument against this idea. Expense of Defense? I wouldn't know, going ''Orc Rush!'' while also making towers seemed to work XD

Yet, Sauron always operated behind stocky walls. True, Angmar was supposed to be the only one with garrisonable walls, hence why maybe just a Lava Moat or ungarrisonable walls could be a better trick. I wouldn't say they're that similar, you just get to choose your playstyle: more offensive or a bit more defensive? Then again, the main doubt is that if you unlocked a lv-10 ability and/or have Sauron at max level, what do you need walls for?

Well, in that sense, Isengard's camp is not Orthanc, yet you build an exact replica of it. I doubt Orcs have the means to build a Numenorean structure. Same goes for other factions, and Mordor has replicas of Minas Morgul and Dol Guldur. Plus, the faction was completely reskinned to have the Barad-dur look and architectural theme, so it wouldn't really be that far off a call.

Gandalf The Gray

• Balins Schriftführer
  • you shall not pass
« Antwort #8 am: 4. Aug 2015, 00:28 »
Tol-in-Gaurhoth or Isle of Werewolves, also called Wizard's Isle[1] was a fortress held by Sauron in the First Age, once called Tol Sirion.

Tol-in-Gaurhoth began as the Minas Tirith of Finrod Felagund, and was held by Orodreth for his uncle to guard the vale of Sirion. However, Orodreth was powerless to stop Sauron from taking the isle, and fled south. Sauron began breeding large wolves in the isle which he sent evil spirits in, turning them into werewolves.

Ten years later during the Quest for the Silmaril, Beren Erchamion on his quest for the Silmaril enlisted Finrod's aid, but they were captured passing the isle when Sauron defeated Finrod in a spell contest. Their companions were slain one-by-one by werewolves. Finrod saved Beren's life, but died himself.

Lúthien and the Hound Huan came to Beren's rescue, and Huan killed the wolves sent against him. After Draugluin was killed Sauron went out in wolf-form but was defeated. Lúthien got control over the isle's magic from Sauron, who fled, and Minas Tirith was reduced to ruins. Finrod was buried there.[2] The isle remained clean afterwards, but after the Nirnaeth Arnoediad it was retaken by Morgoth and its towers rebuilt.

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
  • Arise! Arise, Writers of KryPtik!
« Antwort #9 am: 6. Aug 2015, 03:03 »
While this is a very cool idea in its own right, Mordor does not need to be made any harder to kill in late game. They are already the most powerful faction in late game, able to easily crush any other army except the OP Ered Luin dwarves. Giving Mordor a defendable castle with walls would just make it even more impossible to defeat them once Sauron has level 10.
Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter! Spear shall be shaken! Shield shall be splintered! A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride, ride to ruin, and the worlds ending! FORTH EORLINGAS!

Gandalf The Gray

• Balins Schriftführer
  • you shall not pass
« Antwort #10 am: 6. Aug 2015, 03:57 »
i just think the model of Tol-in-Gaurhoth needs to be changed