[en] The Prancing Pony > The Lord of the Rings

Who is the third most powerful being in the Middle - earth?

(1/12) > >>

TiberiusOgden:
Very popular topic on the LOTR forums. ;)

We must take into account many aspects like strength (physical, magical or strength of mind), age (experiences), origin (Maiar, human) and we must look at Tolkien quotes about characters and we can compare them with movie makers visions.
Time is also crucial - better question is Who is the most powerful being during the time of Hobbit and Lord of the Rings stories? :)
Of course, there can be problem even with interpretation of word "powerful" or "being" in the Tolkien's world.

Either way,
I am looking forward to discussion. :D

P.S. Once we have a list of names, so I'll start a poll and we will vote.  8-)

Edit: Story continues. :P

CynasFan:
Ok, I try.
If you follow J.R.R. Tolkien Sauron was the most powerful and very oldest Person in Middleearth in Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Galadriel and Saruman together only were strong enough to fight against the Necromanth.

But if you ignore Sauron it´s Galadriel, Daughter of a Maiar and fighter against Sauron since the Second.

Greetings, CynasFan (from Germany)

TiberiusOgden:
Perfect,

we already have some names for the poll: Necromancer, Galadriel, Saruman, Gandalf, Smaug, Balrog, Glorfindel, Elrond. :)

Azaril:
Since when is Galadriel the daughter of a maia, CynasFan? Her father and her mother were both elves.

But I agree that she is one of the most powerful beings at the time of Hobbit and LotR. Sauron is very powerful too, but you have to differentiate between the "Ring-Sauron", the Necromancer, and the Sauron in Barad-dûr. The former is the strongest of them, of course.

Other powerful beings in LotR are Olorin (Gandalf), Elrond, Curumo (Saruman), Glorfindel, Smaug, Durin's Bane, ...
There are many who possess plenty of power, some of them have physical strength (e.g. Smaug, Balrog), some have magical strength (e.g. the Istari and Sauron), and some have strength of mind (most of them).

So I think it is very difficult to determine one person that is the best in all aspects of power.

Edit: I forgot the Nazgûl. They are very powerful, too.

CynasFan:
I was false.
I don`t know why I posted it than [uglybunti]

For me, the most powerful was Sam with his frying pan (Edain Mod 3.8)

Greetings, CynasFan

Navigation

[0] Themen-Index

[#] Nächste Seite

Zur normalen Ansicht wechseln