28. Mär 2024, 22:53 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Favourite strategy games  (Gelesen 15027 mal)

TiberiusOgden

• Gast
Favourite strategy games
« am: 25. Apr 2015, 18:29 »
I suppose that everyone here likes Battle for Middle Earth.  :D
But existed or exist also another strategy games. Maybe you've played firstly Age of Empires or Warcraft and after that finally BFME1.
We can talk about old strategies, memorable moments while playing with them and create list of the best strategy games.  :)
And what will bring the future? Remakes of old strategies? Warcraft 4? Completely new strategy games? And why we know only limited number of strategies and only some of them are great ...

« Letzte Änderung: 25. Apr 2015, 18:38 von TiberiusOgden »

hoho96

• Verteidiger Morias
  • You Can not Hide!
Re: Favourite strategy games
« Antwort #1 am: 25. Apr 2015, 19:34 »
Ah, my story with RTS!

_The best RTS I've ever played is the first Men of War game. It's be far the most intense, the most rich, the most memorable singleplayer experience I've ever had!
What I love about this game is that you never have all the force to freely sweep the mission. That's were "Strategy" in Real Time Strategy came from^^
The scope of micro management coupled with vast battlefronts is unbelievable. There's always something to do; waiting for more resources is sometimes as bad as attacking with less-than-able forces.
Now Men of War: Assault Squad2 is the leading title, with unbelievable scale of modding
and new features. I believe this is one of the easiest games to mod, with mostly amazing results^^
some mods (like Red Rising, GSM, Terminator) go so far as to change the game completely!!

_Age of Mythology was my first RTS I ever had :) and I got to admit, the story was really awesome, and was one of the more complicated RTS games at the time.

_I like Company of Heroes for one thing (and one thing only) THE MODS. The strictly American campaign was a little meh. However, I do like the mechanics and interactivity with the objectives and all, but seriously though, the highly unrealistic situations that the game puts you in is ridiculous.
On the other hand, the expansion Opposing Fronts has a much better story campaign, and what's even better is that for once in a really good RTS you can play the story from the German perspective, while also get the chance to play as the British. I'd say it's a very welcome relief of America.
Company of Heroes 2 have a really good campaign as the Soviets. It showed the brutality of war and the battlefield chaos and constant action. Nonetheless, it still have the ridiculousness of CoH1 (were an 88mm can take up to three direct shots to kill an armoured car).

_When I played BFME for the first time I really enjoyed the campaign, especially after all the movie hype. But after getting more experienced in these stuff I think that you can hardly loose any battle whatsoever (well unless in cases where you loose if your hero dies :P ), and no battle is really that challenging (HelmsDeep was the hardest, and I managed to win it on Hard with my wall still intact).
BFMEII is hardly worth mentioning :( RotWK I'd say performed a little better telling the story of one of the more interesting evil characters in this universe. But I really have no idea what EA was thinking. I mean an army of mini Trolls? really EA?
Do you imagine the possibilities if the campaign was remade with Edain's Angmar? now that would be something to behold :D

_Another game that I've just started to enjoy is Sins of a Galactic Empire. The game has a solid engine and interesting mechanics, but on its own it's a meh. However, mods like Thrawn's Revenge II did to the game what Edain did to RotWK; bringing the Star Wars universe to this solid game with AMAZING textures.

_Recently I started to get into Total War world with first Kingdoms II (and the awesome Third Age mod).
But now I got the latest installment Attila which is AMAZING!! aside from the company being an a**h*** with the damn DLCs, I can't say anything against this game^^ the textures and unit AI are just too good to be true.

TiberiusOgden

• Gast
« Antwort #2 am: 25. Apr 2015, 19:36 »
Well,
it is really long story with strategy games. :)
You could write book about them.  :P

hoho96

• Verteidiger Morias
  • You Can not Hide!
« Antwort #3 am: 25. Apr 2015, 19:53 »
what can I say. it's basically my life  [uglybunti]

TiberiusOgden

• Gast
« Antwort #4 am: 25. Apr 2015, 20:31 »
I can continue.
I've already talked about it on Moddb, so it's not a surprise.  :P

I will mention only the most prominent games that influenced me. Strategy games of my youth.  :)
There's no order, because they are all completely different.

1) Warcraft 3 + Frozen Throne
The amazing story full of unexpected twists. Completely different fantasy world. Strategic choices were less diverse, but completely different races and nice graphics to compensate it.

2) BFME1
Processed movie's campaign. Excellent limited building system. Simply return to movie Middle Earth.

3) Stronghold
Medieval and raw environment. Options for attacking and defense. A particularly well thought out and realistic economic system. Other parts with new graphics were perhaps more complex, but just something they lacked. But as a lover of fantasy I had no problem with Stronghold Legends.

4) Age of Empires (all versions)
Historical narrative but mainly classical strategy.  ;)

Adrigabbro

• Gesandter der Freien Völker
« Antwort #5 am: 26. Apr 2015, 10:35 »
Age of Empires forever guys! :D

"That still only counts as one!"

bookworm1138

• Wanderer des Alten Waldes
  • "Lasto beth nîn, tolo dan nan galad"
« Antwort #6 am: 15. Jun 2015, 03:55 »
first RTS games: Age of Empires and Command and Conquer: Red Alert. afterwards came Warcraft 3, War of the Ring and eventually BfME.

rogan?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."

Linwe

• Verteidiger Morias
« Antwort #7 am: 15. Jun 2015, 12:30 »
My strategic games are :
total war, i played first medieval 2 witht the mod third age, but i will have more total war games :D

age of empires
I have played it from a friend, he has all games of age of empires and we play them alt ime

And the dark legions
I dont know, do you know about them? It is a game, where you bild a city, it is a little bit like age of empire
Fire and Blood!

H4lbarad

• Pförtner von Bree
« Antwort #8 am: 13. Aug 2015, 11:56 »
Age of Empires and Age of Mytholgy !

These are the best RTS games ever made (after Edain mod of course  :P ). I 've played them soooooooo much time!

I really love Stronghold too. Amazing ambiance  :)

Draco100000

• Gastwirt zu Bree
  • Revenge? REVENGE? I will show you revenge!
« Antwort #9 am: 13. Aug 2015, 15:53 »
More than 3 years playing campaing and war of the ring on Bfme 1, 2 and Rise of the witchking. I loved also War Leaders, a very good strategic game, not well known, but with everything to get a perfect 2WW battles, with a very well made campaing with all tank classes and much more. Medieval 2 Totalwar with Mods was my second favourite RTS game. Was Perfect and Third Age Total War letted me to get the real battle of Helms Deep, with a lot of lags, but after 5 hours I could destroy Isengard armie xD. I also played lot of other RPG games, But strategic games always has been part of my gamer life.
Anyway, Edain have catched me completely xD

Gandalf The Gray

• Balins Schriftführer
  • you shall not pass
« Antwort #10 am: 13. Aug 2015, 18:34 »
i started with Age of Mythology and Age of Empires and Star Wars Empire at War
then i found out about Battle for Middle i heard about war for the ring too never played it

CragLord

• Gast
« Antwort #11 am: 14. Aug 2015, 11:18 »
Started with Warcraft II:Tides of Darkness long time ago...
Then later played a StarCraft, then came WarCraft 3 and it's expansion Frozen Throne.
Meanwhile played also Age of Mithology (I discovered this game much later), Stronghold&Crusader, SpellForce 2: Shadow Wars,Lotr:WotR, BFME1&2&RotWk, Age of Empires, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty,  StarCraft II: Hearth of the Swarm...
And Armies of Exigo=StarCraft I & WC3 hibrud, nice game with very good campaign story and excellent graphic, was interesting to me, this game is probably unknown so here are some spoilers:

Linhir

• Gastwirt zu Bree
  • Inga mektar e Endamar.
« Antwort #12 am: 14. Aug 2015, 12:24 »
Not all of these are RTSes but, all of them are (at least partially) strategies:

Heroes of Might&Magic 1 - 5 + all addons
Spellforce 1 - 2 + all addons
Age of Empires 2 + Conquest
American Conquest + addons
Warcraft 3 + addons
Stronghold Crusader
Medieval Total War 2 + Kingdoms (and Third Age mod)

There was few more, that i don't remember right now.
And of course, our beloved Battle for Middle-Earth 2 (with RJ mod, Arcade Edition, and now with Edain) ^^

Edit.

Oh! I almost forgot about Mount&Blade, it's partially strategy. :P
« Letzte Änderung: 14. Aug 2015, 12:32 von Linhir »

Gandalf The Gray

• Balins Schriftführer
  • you shall not pass
« Antwort #13 am: 14. Aug 2015, 16:09 »
Armies of Exigo awesome game

CragLord

• Gast
« Antwort #14 am: 14. Aug 2015, 16:18 »
Yes, I forgot those epic games, I played HoMM 5 and it's expansions, one of best games ever!  8-) HoMM 6 was big disappointment in comparison with HoMM 5, HoMM 3 never played, heard also that game is best from whole serial (at least best sound packs), some time ago I also heard new HD version of that old game is realised.  :)
Armies of Exigo awesome game
Have you played it Gray? :)