28. Mär 2024, 23:18 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Eorl the Young  (Gelesen 3159 mal)

Crimson King

• Bilbos Festgast
Eorl the Young
« am: 28. Apr 2015, 23:50 »

Hello guys, I have been thinking about the topic of Ring Heroes, and while I love the current system we are able to enjoy in Mod 4.01, I think that for now, Rohan should have an alternative to Theoden. Keeping to the lore, Theoden does not seem very "fit" as a Ring Hero, since a mere curse/spell was able to sway his will, and in the game, if he becomes corrupted, then Grima comes forth, which also does not seem to make much sense. All in all, for me he feels lackluster.

Changes proposed: Replace the Wellspring building with Mound of Kings, introduce the ring hero Eorl to the faction of Rohan, replace the spell book power Horse Breeding.

Description: Eorl is the Last King of the Éothed and the First King of the Mark, being dubbed as "The Young", for having succeeded his father at the age of 16. He was a pivotal historical figure to the people of Rohan and one of the most, if not the most acclaimed hero of their people. As such, I would envision him as a supporting pilar for his faction in the game, in several ways. Gamewise, in order to recruit him, the player would need to give the ring to the new building - Mound of Kings.

This new building would replace the current wellspring in terms of function, healing friendly units over time. The reasoning for this would be the fact that the people of Rohan are able to rest and pray for strength to their ancestors in such a building, thus "healing", perhaps allowing it to be upgraded with Symbelmine flowers would extend either the health recovery rate or radius. Additionally, when this building is attacked, a small bonus could be bestowed upon surrounding friendly troops in order to boost their damage, as they rush to defend this sacred ground. Moreover, should Theoden, Éomer, Eowyn or Theodred perish in battle, they could also be revived by this building, potentially allowing two heroes to be recruited simultaneously (here and at the citadel). The template on the map of edoras for the graves of the kings of rohan could serve for modding purposes, I suppose. Overall, I feel this would contribute for a more unique feeling to the faction of Rohan and also enable the recruitment of Eorl relatively faithfully to the lore.

Eorl The Young

Abilities
LvL 1 – Young King of the Éothed  [Passive] (Eorl is brimming with vigour and tenacious will, gaining permanent bonuses to health and armour)
Lvl  3 – Felarof Tamed (Eorl tames the great horse felarof, ancestor of the Mearas, allowing for the breeding of superior horses. has the same effect the current Breeding Horses spell book power)
Lvl 5 – Father of the Rohirrim (Eorl is a great Horseman and forefather Rohan, his presence inspires nearby mounted units, granting them bonuses to damage and experience gained)
LvL 7 – Oath of Eorl (The king of the Mark keeps his Oath to Cirion and summons several rohirrim to aid in battle)
Lvl 10 – Gift of Cirion (The Steward of Gondor grants a boon upon Eorl for his great service, allowing the summoning additional build plots wherever Eorl deems fit)

The way I came up with these abilities was by taking inspiration in Eorl’s own life, so each ability is a reference to some event he went through. In this fashion he would be a powerful combatant in his own right (possibly with his basic attack being the same as that of Witch-King’s mounted form in ROTWK, dealing damage to all units in front of himself) but truly shines when his Rohirrim are by his side in battle.

For the voice files of Eorl, I would just like that when each of his abilities when used and also when he is ordered to attack, that the Oath of the Knights, from the movie Dragonheart, seems very fitting. And obviously, the bit when Theoden shouts "Forth Eorlingas" in the Return of the King would be perfect :)

Finally, the spell book changes. Since my design of eorl would bestow improved mounts to knights, with this slot freed, another power could be added. For example: “Land of Shieldmaidens” (target farm becomes permanently protected by shieldmaidens of rohan), “The Red Arrow” (summon gondor units),  "Hunt for the Great Boar" (heroes of Rohan get bonuses), "Hammerhand's Covenant" (increase lifepoints of a building)

In the same fashion, I've thought about Gil-Galad for Imladris, I'll share my thoughts if you guys think this idea is worth it. :)

Comments/suggestions/opinions?

Crimson K.

TiberiusOgden

• Gast
Re: Eorl the Young
« Antwort #1 am: 29. Apr 2015, 14:48 »
The main problem (as you surely noticed) is that Eorl is dead. :P
Dead heroes will not be added (and only evil forces have "necromantic" abilities) ;)  Definitely not Men of Rohan. Only Durin for Dwarves is acceptable, yes, he is dead, but he is reincarnated - with him it is about legacy for Dwarves, he is powerful symbol for them. :)
When Rohan will have "dead hero" so Dwarvish ring hero concept won't be unique. 8-|
I think that Theoden fits very well into the role. As a wise king, who reminisces about old times. Who has respect for Rohan´s ancestors like were Helm or Eorl. And who would use the One ring to defend his people against the destruction that spreads from Isengard. 8-)

Crimson King

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #2 am: 29. Apr 2015, 21:36 »
It makes as much sense to me to be able to revive Durin or Eorl. I still think Theoden, especially his corrupted form, is not really Ring Hero material. Perhaps Eomer?

Anyway, at least the idea for the healing building still stands, even if it wouldn't revive Eorl with the ring, I think it's a neat and more unique to Rohan than a fountain reminiscent of gondor.

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
  • Arise! Arise, Writers of KryPtik!
« Antwort #3 am: 1. Mai 2015, 06:17 »
I personally could see both Théoden and Eorl making sense here. Théoden was probably the greatest King of Rohan in the Third Age, and the current Ring system he has makes quite a bit of sense to me, and is very useful in game(invincible nearby heroes FTW). I think that Eorl's legacy is great enough to allow him to "revived", and after all, many things in this mod don't quite follow canon, so would it really be that much of a stretch? I think it would be acceptable, even enjoyable to add him as an alternative to Théoden, maybe not directly replacing him, because every faction except Mordor has 2 different ring heroes, even if they are just variations with the same unit. Hell, Gondor has 3! Regardless of whether or not this makes it in, this is a fantastic post, very well detailed and I applaud the author  :)
Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter! Spear shall be shaken! Shield shall be splintered! A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride, ride to ruin, and the worlds ending! FORTH EORLINGAS!

Crimson King

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #4 am: 1. Mai 2015, 22:26 »
I personally could see both Théoden and Eorl making sense here. Théoden was probably the greatest King of Rohan in the Third Age, and the current Ring system he has makes quite a bit of sense to me, and is very useful in game(invincible nearby heroes FTW). I think that Eorl's legacy is great enough to allow him to "revived", and after all, many things in this mod don't quite follow canon, so would it really be that much of a stretch? I think it would be acceptable, even enjoyable to add him as an alternative to Théoden, maybe not directly replacing him, because every faction except Mordor has 2 different ring heroes, even if they are just variations with the same unit. Hell, Gondor has 3! Regardless of whether or not this makes it in, this is a fantastic post, very well detailed and I applaud the author  :)

Thank you for your support :)

I could easily see Eorl be exclusive to a game mode like Legendary Heroes. What I mean is, aside from the bonuses that this game mode bestows upon regular heroes, wouldn't it be awesome if there were truly men of legend that could be recruited into each faction? In this way, Eorl could be introduced to Rohan without comprising the cannon :)  as could Gil-Galad to Imladris, Isildur to Gondor/Arnor, Durin to the Dwarves, Amdír or Oropher for Lothlórien or Mirkwood, Stone-giant for the Misty Mountains, Freca for Isengard, Ulfang or dare I suggest, Morgoth for Mordor and Sauron for Angmar

I don't mind coming up with a few ideas for these other heroes if you guys think it's interesting