14. Mai 2024, 00:56 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Allies from Dol Guldur as spell for MM  (Gelesen 9929 mal)

Melkor Bauglir

• Held von Helms Klamm
Re: Allies from Dol Guldur as spell for MM
« Antwort #15 am: 4. Nov 2015, 23:19 »
Zitat
Giants and dragons can be built on the bigger outposts (3 buildplots)
That's only half true. In fact Misty Mountains doesn't have 3 build plot outposts (because essentially what their pioneers are there for), dragons and giants do each have their own specific outpost building (Dragon Hoard and the 3.8.1 troll building). If this is what you meant in the first place, I'm sorry. ;)
And the wargs, trolls and orcs can be built on settlements.

Now I do think that summons should really feel interesting and unique because otherwise they tend to be the most boring type of ability that is. I am therefore strongly against the idea of replacing such unique spells like the worm or the dragon strike which just a troll and orc summon.
Now as I said: I am not specifically against the more restrained troll concepts of the Hobbit (not the ones korner talked about or the 10 meters high giants and so on -just the basic armored trolls ;)), but they don't belong to Misty Mountains. Currently the entire reasoning behind taking away the rock switch of Mordor trolls was to diversify mountain and cave trolls:
Cave trolls are more flexible (can throw rocks, use trees and throw orcs), Mordor trolls can be upgraded and are thus more advanced!
That is a very important part in the unit design and the difference between these trolls, so adding the armor would absolutely contradict this idea. Also: Misty Mountains are the most primitive faction of all the evil factions (which is actually not saying that much ;)), but possibly the entire game. Adding such complex armor for them would just not fit into the identity of Misty Mountains.

Greetings
Melkor Bauglir

CragLord

• Gast
« Antwort #16 am: 5. Nov 2015, 18:24 »
It was long time ago when I last time read that MM article on modb.  [ugly]
Thanks for info. If faction works this way, maybe we could  find some place within it for those armored trolls. 
I also agree that Dragon Strike and Worm are pretty unique powers. Personally I like them very much since BFME II, and I won't like to see some other summon for replace them exactly. One more thing which I really don't like is discussion about MM power palantir when we (mostly I) don't know so much about it, as I have said earlier this is mostly "blind" discussion for me and informative in first place. I am only for those trolls without any of orc summon.
I just suggest only those armored cave trolls (they look like cave trolls on picture) for summoning power on lower levels of power palantir.
One more reason for this is lack of stronger units for MM in early game. If faction will work like authors described in that modb article, then MM will have mostly weaker units in start of game. So this summon could be integrated as tier 2 power in palantir as support summon for those mostly weaker units in start of game (something similar to Shelob summon in Mordor, I know that Shelob is unique hero, just giving you power comparison in term of power points). First thing which occurs in my mind is what is happened with allegiance power if it existed anyway? Maybe those trolls could be put in its place.
For example summon could be 2 or 3 armored cave trolls with those spiked clubs (I really miss those clubs in mordor weapon arsenal :P ), they would represent cave trolls which are with greater armor and some area swing knowck back, which will help in offensive way in start of game. Simply a support for those legions of weak units as a bit 2 or 3 more tanky units with area knock back. Simply good support.
I also must say you have expressed pretty good reasons for not adding this into faction in term of nature of MM faction as the most primitive one. But it is not true that whole factions must be primitive etc. For example Gundabad as part of MM faction will be the most advanced with decent armor and weapons upgrades (correct me if I am wrong! xD ) so they won't be in general part of those wast legions of primitive units without organization. :) So in that term we could watch on this summon power, simply cave trolls which are wild and primitive got trained and equipped with armor and good weapons , and summoned as support in front lines of battle.  Simply you expressed good reasons not to add this gundabad upgrade in game, so units (or cave trolls to be precise) will stay primitive, but this summon could be minor thing which is not correlated to production of those trolls. And concerning comparation with Moror trolls, cave trolls will stay very different as you have described without any armor or weapon upgrade. This suggestion could be maybe implemented as temporary armored troll summon power, and that is worthy of tier 2 palanir of powers. Simply Gundabad part manage to train and prepare few caves troll for front line as support units. I really don't see this suggestion as something which couldn't fit into identity of MM. :)
Again, I really don't know so much about MM palantir of powers, so this is very informative discussion for me at first place. :)

Greetings
« Letzte Änderung: 5. Nov 2015, 18:31 von CragLord »

Melkor Bauglir

• Held von Helms Klamm
« Antwort #17 am: 5. Nov 2015, 19:47 »
Yeah, you are right, they could be implemented as a temporary summon. Actually there is still one spell which can be replaced which you already mentioned-"Untamed Alliance" or whatever this is in English, I'm talking about the spell which allows the taking of creep camps. This ability is essentially not usefull any more, because the "Hoard of the Grey Mountains" ability is gone and Misty Mountains can already built most of those creep hoards on their settlements. So there is in fact space for a troll summon (and yes, you are right again: Even Misty Mountains armorers can built simply bigger armor. :P)
Also, concerning Misty Mountains, temporary armored trolls would actually be pretty interesting and the Hobbit design which was discussed here, looks pretty neat, I have to say. ;) (Especially because it looks more primitive than the Mordor troll armor -the helmet looks just like a rock that got attached to this poor trolls head... xD)
2-3 armored trolls are probably to much though, but the balance can of course be adjusted later, also there could be a system like the spell evolves during the game, starting which only one troll so Misty Mountains (I everytimes spell the entire name, because MM is reserved for Minas Morgul :D) can't just spell-trollrush the enemy, but still keep them as a useful summon later. I'm just making a wild guess, that should be our smallest problem right now.

Zitat
Again, I really don't know so much about MM palantir of powers, so this is very informative discussion for me at first place. :)
It mostly stayed the same. Spiders got of course replaced by a very nice spell which summons an inactive, temporary tunnel exit from which various orcs emerge. Tainted Land is a tier 1 spell now, it's old position got replaced by Scavanger and the war cry got replaced by War drums (the old building with the troll). So their power menu looks like this:
Tier 1: Bats, War Drums, Tainted Land
Tier 2: Drums in the Deep, Scavanger (passive), "this tunnel spells whose name I forgot", Untamed Alliance
Tier 3: Awaken Worm, The Watcher, Darkness
Tier 4: Dragon Strike, Balrog

Greetings
Melkor Bauglir

CragLord

• Gast
« Antwort #18 am: 5. Nov 2015, 20:16 »
I am glad you understand me almost completely. :)

Yes, I was thinking about "Untamed Alliance" power, if this power is still available for Misty Mountains palantir then it is best candidate for replacement with this Troll summon. :) Simply if I have understood in good way that article on modb (and you have also confirmed), Misty Mountains faction will be able to build similar buildings to neural camps on settlements plots, so yes, there is no particular usage of this power anymore. :) From objective view this power have nice properties for this faction, I am aware of that, but it is not so useful, so that is main reason why it is main candidate for replacement with this troll summon power or some other power.

Good view about that armor design, it really looks so primitive in comparison with armor of Mordor trolls. So this is could be also used as reason to add this in faction in some way. xD

Agree, balance adjustment should be always reconsidered after idea is accepted. ;)

I didn't know this. Is this officially statement from somewhere or just in your case? xD
Anyway, I will type full names in future comments. :)

Thanks for this. :)
I haven't understood you about that War Drums power, so I will check for it in that article on modb.

Greetings
CragLord

BuddhaCAT

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #19 am: 14. Nov 2015, 10:43 »
I like this idea!

The spell feels more like a 7 power spell if the MM should get, let´s say: 3 armored trolls, 2 Dol Guldur swords, 2 Dol Guldur pikes and 1 Dol Guldur bows. This seems like a rather good spell but not too OP. The intro of the power could be the horn that sounds when Azog summons his armies.