28. Mär 2024, 17:36 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Annals of Aman  (Gelesen 94328 mal)

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
Re: Annals of Aman
« Antwort #15 am: 31. Jul 2015, 16:20 »

Maybe you can add some maps which shows difference between Utumno and Angaband. :) Think that would be nice. :)  Was Udun other name for Utumno? Think I read that on some map with Lamps in time before all of this. :)

Sure, I will do it  :)
For now, I can tell you that Utumno was the original and first dark fortress of Melkor in the Far East of Middle Earth, from which he had already started to corrupt the original Perfection of the World in the Years of the Lamps; the fortress was completely destroyed and cleansed after the War for Sake of the Elves.
Angband was built later as a second fortress in the Far North West, to guard the borders of Middle Earth with Aman.

Yes, Udûn is the Sindarin name for Utumno, and it can also refer to Melkor/Morgoth himself.

CragLord

• Gast
« Antwort #16 am: 31. Jul 2015, 16:49 »
I found that map: http://s5.postimg.org/4u9ifpycn/Udun.jpg
Just to show, will remove message later if somehow map don't fit topic. (In your opinion, of course. :) )

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #17 am: 31. Jul 2015, 17:26 »
I found that map: http://s5.postimg.org/4u9ifpycn/Udun.jpg
Just to show, will remove message later if somehow map don't fit topic. (In your opinion, of course. :) )

Here it is (probably Utumno should be placed a lot further in the East)  :)

Don't worry, it totally fits, since Angband and Utumno are parts of the topic, fortresses of the Enemy that the Valar fought for long time  :)
And Aman (mainly the cold desert of Araman and Helcaraxë) is present as well in the map, so it's good  :)

Thank you for your contribution  ;)
« Letzte Änderung: 31. Jul 2015, 17:58 von DieWalküre »

hoho96

• Verteidiger Morias
  • You Can not Hide!
« Antwort #18 am: 1. Aug 2015, 00:35 »
I thought I can make it show better  ;)

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #19 am: 1. Aug 2015, 01:31 »
I thought I can make it show better  ;)

You thought good  :)

Nonetheless, I like very much this kind of maps, but, as I wrote above, Utumno should be placed a lot further in the East, not closed to the Blue Mountains and even beyond the Misty Mountains, in the last part of the Iron Mountains, closed to the Orocarni and above Cuiviénen.
Angband and Utumno were both established in the Iron Mountains, the mountainous Chain that goes through the whole North of Middle Earth, but on its two opposite ends.
This map is way bigger  :)

Gandalf The Gray

• Balins Schriftführer
  • you shall not pass
« Antwort #20 am: 2. Aug 2015, 09:50 »
good work you r awesome

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #21 am: 2. Aug 2015, 11:12 »
good work you r awesome

Thank you very much  :)

CragLord

• Gast
« Antwort #22 am: 2. Aug 2015, 13:21 »

And here is same map from another perspective:
There is greater distance between Angaband and Utumno on this map. :) It is nice anyway. :)
« Letzte Änderung: 30. Sep 2015, 20:10 von CragLord »

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #23 am: 3. Aug 2015, 01:26 »

And here is same map from another perspective:
There is greater distance between Angaband and Utumno on this map. :) It is nice anyway. :)

Yes, it is a whole different perspective, when Arda was still flat  :)
It's right, Utumno is rightly placed in the Far North East of the World.

Probably, Aman is a little bit small, but it doesn't matter  :P

Gandalf The Gray

• Balins Schriftführer
  • you shall not pass
« Antwort #24 am: 7. Aug 2015, 17:06 »
i rly wanna see a silmarillion movie

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #25 am: 7. Aug 2015, 18:53 »
i rly wanna see a silmarillion movie

I really wish to somehow watch, in the future, a hypothetical trilogy about the War of the Jewels as well.

But this is not the right thread; I sincerely suggest you start another thread in the LOTR section, about the possibilities of future cinematographic adaptations of the Silmarillion.
« Letzte Änderung: 19. Dez 2015, 13:36 von Varda »

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #26 am: 18. Dez 2015, 18:53 »
Hi all  :)

As you may have already noticed, there have been some problems these days concerning the pictures of this thread, as I think that a website for pictures sharing that I used was shut down.

Nevertheless, I managed to restore them both here and on ModDB, and add some new.
I also announce that an update is to be follow soon, here.
The text is almost completed, and thus I have to focus on its graphical aspects.

Stay tuned, and never forget the Undying Lands and the Lords of the West  8-)

Yours, DieWalküre  ;)

VectorMaximus

• Pförtner von Bree
  • "This we have sworn, and not lightly"
« Antwort #27 am: 16. Feb 2016, 00:22 »
Hello Walk, I finally thought of something worth posting in your lovely thread. It's really well done btw (loved the Thor pictures for Valimar :))

Anyway, whenever we discuss the early ages and the light that dwelled then, and is now only preserved in the Silmarilis, always is it referred to as the light of the Trees. But first it was the Light of the Lamps of Aule, before the destruction of the World's first form.

So, I'm just curious that we always refer to the light of the trees, and not the light of the Lamps, or just the primordial light. Is it because the Light, bound in the trees, was gazed upon by the Eldar and they remember it so fondly and bitterly thus? And then when the Noldor rebelled and were subsequently exiled, they spoke of the pure light as the Light of the Trees? And so those in the hither lands of Middle-Earth came to think of the pure untainted light as the 'Light of the Trees'.

Or perhaps the Valar never again spoke of the Lamps after they were cast down and the world was changed in their wake, after the destruction of Almaren.

However, talking about the real-world fans of Tolkien, I personally believe that because the Lamps are at most a footnote in the Silmarillion, that's why we tend to refer to the Light as the Light of the Trees. I'm interested to hear your opinion on this Walk.

Also, while your own pictures of the Valar are pretty good, this is my personal favorite design for Manwe.

Truly befitting the image of the wise and benevelant Eldar King, Steward-Sovereign of Creation, no?

"But wherefore should Middle-earth remain for ever desolate and dark, whereas the Elves could make it as fair as Eressëa, nay even as Valinor?

hoho96

• Verteidiger Morias
  • You Can not Hide!
« Antwort #28 am: 16. Feb 2016, 20:20 »
A permanent solution for all your images problems is just to upload your images on MODDB. though I suspect you will loose a bit of quality.

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #29 am: 17. Feb 2016, 02:05 »
Thank you very much, Vector, I'm glad you enjoyed this thread  :)

There are many reasons why the Light of the Two Trees and the Two Trees themselves are the pivotal and archetypal theme of Bliss/Splendour – and the consequent loss of it due to the actions of the Evil – which is periodically mentioned and remembered in the Silmarillion, via the Eldar's words and memory.

Simply, the Two Trees are unanimously recognised as the greatest creation of the Valar; something that gave birth again and spreaded the Good in the World (within the wall of the Pelóri) after the destruction of the Two Lamps and the relative disaster that affected and marred Arda.
The Two Trees made most of Aman an immortal land, in which the Archangels exactly established their own Blessed Realm.
And, Tolkien states clearly that the Two Trees (and, obviously, the Valar themselves in the first place) made Valinor even more beautiful and radiant than Middle Earth during the ancestral Spring of Arda, as the quotation in the first post of this thread says  8-)

Zitat
“Behind the walls of the Pelóri the Valar established their domain in that region which is called Valinor, and there were their houses, their gardens, and their towers. In that guarded land the Valar gathered great store of light and the fairest things that were saved from the ruin; and many others yet fairer they made anew, and Valinor became more beautiful even than Middle-earth in the Spring of Arda; and it was blessed, for the Deathless dwelt there, and there naught faded nor withered, neither was there any stain upon flower or leaf in that land, nor any corruption or sickness in anything that lived; for the very stones and waters were hallowed.”
-J.R.R. Tolkien: The Silmarillion-

It's thus logical that the Eldar have always spoken about and worshipped the Two Trees rather than the Two Lamps.
The Two Trees are clearly said to be the apex of the Bliss and Splendour of Valinor and of the Valar's authority as well, surpassing both the previous Two Lamps and the later Sun and the Moon.
The Three Ambassadors of the Eldar remained astonished by the majesty of the Two Trees, and desired ardently the attendance of the Valar and their Blessed Realm.
The Two Trees exactly represent for the Eldar their past, and inevitably lost, merriest days in Aman, before the sorrowful experience of the Exile.
And, needless to say, the Light of Laurelin and Telperion is the Light partially contained in the Silmarils, the legendary Jewels that were the symbol and centre of the whole First Age and of the War of the Jewels itself  ;)

About that picture of Manwë, I already knew it.
But, I preferred to change it, as I had found it too much Zeus-like (even though this characteristic would have been more than legitimate).

Thank you for the advice, hoho  :)
I already fixed the issue, though, by creating an official account on a reliable picture sharing website.

And, addressing to everyone, I apologise for having not released the update yet, this month, as I had said.
But, I was and am still involved in exams; I will start again working on it soon.