28. Mär 2024, 14:13 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Gandalf (Arnor)  (Gelesen 45502 mal)

Tienety

• Gast
Gandalf (Arnor)
« am: 22. Mai 2015, 13:33 »
ARNOR'S GANDALF by AulëTheSmith

Hello Edainers  :)
Here i want to present you my own proposal for Arnor's Gandalf. I brought back some of the old abilities from Ered luin Gandalf, such as blinding light and the Circle of fire. I instead leave pine-cones and fireworks as unique future for Dwarven version of Gandalf, in the name of uniqueness. Two new abilites has been crafted instead, which introduce a fundamental aspect of the Grey Pilgrim in game: his wandering and investigating character. These are "Revealing Spell" and "Emissary of hope". Take in cosideration that implemeting this concept could mean to renounce to the ring form in Arnor, in favour of Arvedui as the central ring bearer, since there is a considerable detachment between the proposed abilities and the classical skill-set of Gandalf. That is also the reason why Gandalf was not an additional ring hero, i guess.

Furthermore, we could definely consider to make staff the only weapon for Gandalf. This would be both unique and time-consistent, since Glamdring was not found yet during Arnor's age. In the bottom of the post you can find some proposed staff animation.

EDIT: after having discussed deeply the sole-staff option, we concluded that can't be an adequate set of animation which can satisfy us completely. Both for possible technical problem as well as 'cause we would force to give up some original animation of Gandalf, which are very cool and unique. Also, since now no proper staff's animations was found for GAndalf on mount.
Therefore, in order to preserve the time consistency, we'll turn on the second option: an overhaul of the sword.

Being the literary man of the forum,as well as poet, Walküre crafted a lore background of our sword, placing it as a secondary gift from Cirdan along with The Ring of Fire:

Then, my gentle attendees of the thread, I think I may have come up with a decent background story for the said sword, in order to endow it with a proper essence; this is the case for many items in Tolkien's writings. We must live up to the tradition. Concerning the story, what if the blade were too a gift from Círdan. Not only did he give the wizard the Ring of Fire, but also something that would be of much avail in his perilous journey. Círdan had foreseen all the tribulations that Gandalf would have to face and therefore decided to offer him a secondary object of relevant note. The Guardian of the Havens see further than anyone else in Middle-earth and knows that the hands of the wizard shall wield a greater blade, unearthed thanks to fate and hammer of the Evil...

Zitat
Take the blade of the Foam-riders with thee, Grey Wizard. It is silver, light as our vessels that voyage beyond the blue, yet dreadful token for whom dareth hinder the will of the Western Lords. Thou shalt bear it, along thy hazardous journeys and whither thy mission is to lead thee, until thy hand shall wield a mightier craft, made by grievous exiled and borne by a king dwelling in legend.

In line with the stanzas of Walküre, a silver-like sword has been found on web. It is simpler than Glamdring and has a different style, even though it is of Elvish origin too. The brightness of the silver as well as the homogeneity of the elven style blade should give a different impact, such that it would be easy to distinguish it from Turgon's intended blade during game matches. Here the mentioned sword, along with the pictures where i found it (i advice you to look at them, there are very interesting designs in those drawings):

And the other ancient elven baldes (our chosen sword is the Voronwë one, on bottom picture at the second row):

Last but not least, also this new Gandalf will be affected  by Narya's influence, but this point need to be discussed deeply too. Here you can find the link to the orginal Ring of Fire proposal The Ring of Fire

Anyhow, enjoy the concept  :). I'm looking forward your feedback as always.

Here you can see an old video showing the complete skillset of Gandalf the Grey for Ered Luin in Edain 3.8.1 :

Level 1: "Wizard's blast"as Gondor Gandalf, with a palantir that shows the staff of the Grey Pilgrim.

Level 3: "Revealing Spell": Gandalf generates a magic wave that reveals stealth units as well as dissolving magic influence of surrounding enemy structures ( runes, poison, leadership etc.). As follow the .gif image from the sequence in the movie. I propose, as fitting animation, The wrath of winter animation of wizards in Chronicle submod (at 00:20). I just propose once this animation to Walkure for the Galadriel proposal, i think it would fit in this case also, cleaning it from the heat effect and Sauron's voice:

Level 5: "Mount/Dismount"

Level 7: "Emissary of hope (on horse)": Gandalf journeys through the lands of grief, bearer of hope at the behest of the West. His horse speed is increased by 40% and a veil of light surrounds the Grey Pilgrim, rendering all allied units fearless for a short period of time.

Implemented proposal of the wise and smart Walküre, it is indeed an optimal  reference of Gandalf wadering with his horse to investigate bringing to the sunlight the most deep and darkest secret. Also Gandalf the Grey is the one that suddently comes to the battlefield to help in difficult times. These elements are implemented by increasing of the speed and ispiring of allied units

Level 7: "Blinding Light"(on foot) as hobbit Version, but it stuns trolls too ("the dawn will take you all!!!") and deals some damage (spread, not concentrated like light of the Istari) also to general monsters around Gandalf.

Level 10: "Flame of Anor" as hobbit Gandalf , the circle of fire of 3.8.1

FOR

1. AulëTheSmith
2. Walküre
3. Julio229
4. Gandalf7000
5. OakenShield224
6. Garlodur
7. Dain@
8. Isildurs Fluch
9. Tiberius Ogden

AGAINST

Edited by Walküre
« Letzte Änderung: 27. Jan 2019, 15:50 von Walküre »

Der Leviathan

• Edain Betatester
  • Gardist von Meduseld
  • Ich lüge immer.
Re: Gandalf (Arnor)
« Antwort #1 am: 22. Mai 2015, 13:46 »
Zitat
-All abilities from Ered Luin version of Gandalf
I think that isn’t a good idea because the Gandalf of Ered Luin based from the Gandalf of the hobbit. For example he can chuck burning acorns.

Zitat
-Gandalf will have only staff(Gandalf found sword Glamdring in hobbit story).
That's a very good Idea. I am for that.

Zitat
-Gandalf will have only staff(Gandalf found sword Glamdring in hobbit story).
I think this is also a good Idea. The voice of lotr doesn't match to the situation of Arnor (for example he is talking about Helms Deep and the war)

TiberiusOgden

• Gast
« Antwort #2 am: 22. Mai 2015, 14:12 »
Well,

it's true that Gandalf for Arnor is not unique, that he is simply a copy of Gondor Gandalf, although others heroes have the same or very similar roles, but their skills are completely different.
So Gandalf for Arnor should be mass slayer like Gandalf for Gondor, but with different or with minor similar skills. I suppose that special Gandalf for Arnor could be very attractive for this faction.

Yes, Ered Luin Gandalf was very unique mass slayer with very nice and lore accurate concept and many fans are or will be sad that he will be available only for some time in the Dwarvish spellbook.
Argument that Glamdring is later matter is correct, so that simply staff would be also nice change of design.

Some skills maybe aren't suitable for Arnor Gandalf, but argument of Tienety concerning hobbit isn't bad, he is well known like proposer who doesn't like additional and useless work so I suppose that he doesn't want from Edain team create completely new skill set. :P ... But for uniqueness would be fine to see some mix of Gondor and Ered Luin Gandalf and result would be Arnor Gandalf. xD

« Letzte Änderung: 12. Jul 2015, 18:04 von TiberiusOgden »

ziqing

• Gastwirt zu Bree
« Antwort #3 am: 22. Mai 2015, 16:54 »
Maybe we should delete Gandalf from Arnor and find some new designed heroes for his place, after all he basically did nothing during the entire history of Arnor

TiberiusOgden

• Gast
« Antwort #4 am: 22. Mai 2015, 17:17 »
he basically did nothing during the entire history of Arnor

We know that he traveled there many times, either way I am not sure if we can find someone else, by the way it isn't purpose of this thread. xD

Tienety

• Gast
« Antwort #5 am: 22. Mai 2015, 18:39 »
I think that isn’t a good idea because the Gandalf of Ered Luin based from the Gandalf of the hobbit. For example he can chuck burning acorns.

Yes, you're right, Burning acorns are not suitable. Maybe Gandalf could have a Mount/Dismount ability from Gondor's version. If you have better ideas, please tell me.   ;)
« Letzte Änderung: 24. Mai 2015, 15:54 von Tienety »

TiberiusOgden

• Gast
« Antwort #6 am: 12. Jul 2015, 17:51 »
By the way ... "Hobbit Gandalf" has brilliant dialogues/voice in comparison with "normal Gandalf" ... I know that Ered Luin Gandalf was one of the favourite characters in the whole game in the previous version. We should really reconsider his new role, because I think that currently he is very "unappreciated".

ziqing

• Gastwirt zu Bree
« Antwort #7 am: 12. Jul 2015, 18:07 »
By the way ... "Hobbit Gandalf" has brilliant dialogues/voice in comparison with "normal Gandalf" ... I know that Ered Luin Gandalf was one of the favourite characters in the whole game in the previous version. We should really reconsider his new role, because I think that currently he is very "unappreciated".
I do remember edain team has mentioned Arnor faction is not completed yet, there are still changes and other elements to be involved. The hero roles may change also, that's why I think we shouldn't consider Gandalf's role in isolation. I always think he shouldn't play a major role in Arnor, at least not like now a completely identical version as Gondor

TiberiusOgden

• Gast
« Antwort #8 am: 12. Jul 2015, 18:24 »
Currently he is mass slayer for Gondor and Arnor. The role should correspond, but problem is that he has equal abilities although for rest of heroes is situation different. Nice and easy solution would be that Gandalf for Arnor will have former "Ered Luin Gandalf" abilities with some changes.

ThorinsNemesis

• Heiler von Imladris
  • I am King under the Mountain!
« Antwort #9 am: 12. Jul 2015, 18:29 »
I read like this idea about Ered Luin Gandalf. Though, most of all, I hope his Ered Luin self gets his staff from the first two Hobbit movies  :).

"A darkness is coming... It will spread to every corner of the land!"

ziqing

• Gastwirt zu Bree
« Antwort #10 am: 12. Jul 2015, 18:42 »
Currently he is mass slayer for Gondor and Arnor. The role should correspond, but problem is that he has equal abilities although for rest of heroes is situation different. Nice and easy solution would be that Gandalf for Arnor will have former "Ered Luin Gandalf" abilities with some changes.
I don't think so, Arnor faction focuses on the history around T.A. 2000, all heroes and units in this faction are related to this chapter of history. While Ered luin's Gandalf is clearly based on his experience during Hobbits, there is a huge gap. And all abilities of Gondor Gandalf are related to his experience in LOTR. If there must be a role of Gandalf in Arnor, his abilities should be related to his experience when he firstly arrived at middle earth, the only thing I could recall is the ring Narya

« Letzte Änderung: 12. Jul 2015, 19:09 von ziqing »

TiberiusOgden

• Gast
« Antwort #11 am: 12. Jul 2015, 19:12 »
Bearer of Narya is Cirdan ... in Edain universe  xD ... We wanted to adapt former Ered Luin Gandalf for Arnor because there is no additional work for Edain team, but yes, I agree that some skills aren't suitable, his abilities are more funny and for effect, but Tienety has nice argument for that:

By the way, we can discuss his skillset, why not  ;)
1) Wizard blast/Cranky blast - this skill is universal for all Istari
3) or 5) Mount - Gandalf is characteristic as a horse rider

and you can continue.  :D
« Letzte Änderung: 12. Jul 2015, 19:16 von TiberiusOgden »

ziqing

• Gastwirt zu Bree
« Antwort #12 am: 12. Jul 2015, 19:19 »
I am thinking about summoning the two blue wizard temporially, but I am not sure their plan for this two

TiberiusOgden

• Gast
« Antwort #13 am: 12. Jul 2015, 19:33 »
Some times ago I wanted implement them to the spellbook, it's not against anything, but with Gandalf we should stay with his mass slayer role. Summoning is for unit supporters. By the way, summoning isn't too popular.

ziqing

• Gastwirt zu Bree
« Antwort #14 am: 12. Jul 2015, 19:42 »
Some times ago I wanted implement them to the spellbook, it's not against anything, but with Gandalf we should stay with his mass slayer role. Summoning is for unit supporters. By the way, summoning isn't too popular.
Well he could summon his two coworker and let them conjure massive killing magic, wind and stone and all that. That's why it is hard to design very fitting and highlighted ability for Gandalf in Arnor, since his greatest moment is not there and then.

His ability in Arnor could be related to light and his Maiar's identity, I recall in his Olórin form he often show up as group light in first and second age. So one of his ability could be "Light of Olórin", once activated he becomes bright light for 15 seconds and all enemy units in a great range near him are freezed, trolls are turned into stone and killed immediately.