20. Apr 2024, 06:00 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: More thoughts for Arnor  (Gelesen 2757 mal)

ziqing

• Gastwirt zu Bree
More thoughts for Arnor
« am: 22. Mai 2015, 19:25 »
I think in the version we get so far Arnor is still under-power and requires more improvement and unique features. Although Arnor will always be a map-specific faction, it shouldn't be just a copy of Gondor with slightly different model.

In my opinions, Arnor is just like a "ancient Gondor" which represents the Dunedain kingdom in the early stage of 3rd age. Compared to Gondor, Arnor still keep closer relationship with elves, have stronger individual units(purer Numenorean blood) and preserve more ancient technologies and artifacts(maybe reduce the cost of some upgrades and some power concerning the Numenorean artifacts).
However, it also suffers from the the decay of economy and population, which should limit their income and command points available.

As for the hero roles, I always think Eärnur  should return as the hero killer with unit support aspect since he is the perfect counterpart of Aragorn for Gondor. He should even be a candidate for ring heroes as Arvedui(What if one of these two hold the ring and reunit the two Dunedain kingdoms) The final power of Arnor should be something more powerful, maybe summon the three founder of Arnor and Gondor.

The three related eliven heroes: Glorfindel, Cirdan and Elrond's role should be reconsidered. Cirdan is OK for now as a support hero for early game, Glorfindel is not very approachable (I am never big fan for make heroes only recruitable from fortress). Elrond should definitely play a role in Arnor's faction  due to the history. Gandalf, as well as all other Istari is not very suitable for Arnor, because they basically do nothing during the history of Arnor, including their war with Angmar and the final downfall of north kingdom(I always thought Valar didn't care about the destiny of Arnor at all).

Another potential feature for Arnor is to give them the system of Beacon as well, which could summon reinforcement from elives, Gondor and other free people to save the north kingdom.

Anyway, I would really like to see more opinions and ideas for Arnor in the future

Adrigabbro

• Gesandter der Freien Völker
Re: More thoughts for Arnor
« Antwort #1 am: 23. Mai 2015, 10:43 »
That's a very interesting thread and I agree with you: although Arnor will remain a map-feature, the faction gotta get it's own identity. I mean of course Arnor and Gondor must have a lot of connections between their gameplays, but in the same time I believe Arnor could use more uniqueness. :)

Paragraph per paragraph, here's what I think:

-- "In my opinions, Arnor is just like a "ancient Gondor" which represents the Dunedain kingdom in the early stage of 3rd age. Compared to Gondor, Arnor still keep closer relationship with elves, have stronger individual units(purer Numenorean blood) and preserve more ancient technologies and artifacts(maybe reduce the cost of some upgrades and some power concerning the Numenorean artifacts).
However, it also suffers from the the decay of economy and population, which should limit their income and command points available."

~> Very fitting analysis. Additionally, I believe Arnor is also a very mixed faction which gathers Arthedain soldiers, Gondor aid, Dunedain, Elves from Rivendell and Lindon, Bree, The Shire and The Old Forest. I think the faction should change towards that mixing of units coming either from the main base, settlements, outposts or the spell tree.

- "As for the hero roles, I always think Eärnur  should return as the hero killer with unit support aspect since he is the perfect counterpart of Aragorn for Gondor. He should even be a candidate for ring heroes as Arvedui(What if one of these two hold the ring and reunit the two Dunedain kingdoms) The final power of Arnor should be something more powerful, maybe summon the three founder of Arnor and Gondor."

~> These two are both nice ideas. I like the fact that Arvedui/Earnur could reunite the two kingdoms by getting the ring.

-- "The three related eliven heroes: Glorfindel, Cirdan and Elrond's role should be reconsidered. Cirdan is OK for now as a support hero for early game, Glorfindel is not very approachable (I am never big fan for make heroes only recruitable from fortress). Elrond should definitely play a role in Arnor's faction  due to the history. Gandalf, as well as all other Istari is not very suitable for Arnor, because they basically do nothing during the history of Arnor, including their war with Angmar and the final downfall of north kingdom(I always thought Valar didn't care about the destiny of Arnor at all)."

~> Here's where I respectfully disagree with you.
First, I would rather see all Elves in the Spell Tree as a 15 PP spell summoning a great army with Cirdan and his fighters, Glorfindel and his Windriders and Elrond with Rivendell soldiers. In addition, Gondor would take place in outposts: I'm thinking about something special featuring both Gondor and Arnor soldiers in one outpost but I've no real idea at the moment. I think this is necessary because currently the Lindon Tower makes me think too much about the Rivendell faction and such a great building should be unique.
Secondly, I'm satisfied with Gandalf even though he didn't really stand in the history of Arnor; he makes a fine hero and ring hero.

-- "Another potential feature for Arnor is to give them the system of Beacon as well, which could summon reinforcement from elives, Gondor and other free people to save the north kingdom."

~> I also disagree: such system is perfectly implemented in the game in my opinion and must remain unique.

Ultimately, you surely noticed that I mentioned Bree earlier. As I said: I think Arnor should change towards a kind of an Eriador faction and Bree is an important part of Eriador, plus it is not in the game yet and I don't see any other suitable faction. It could be implemented as a settlement building (design: former Inn from the vanilla game but arker), being both a resource and prodution building. I'm not too sure about what units would fit or not.

"That still only counts as one!"

CragLord

• Gast
« Antwort #2 am: 7. Jul 2015, 15:05 »
Maybe also to change look of that Palantir of Elostirion, on picture is Saruman's hand over palantir (while he is communicating with Sauron), maybe is better to change that with some neutral image of palantir, image that associate on western shores of Aman,(I think that palantir could only be used to watch into the West, and it was later delivered by Cidran into Aman,where it remains.), some image like:
http://www.edbeardjr.com/store/catalog/images/tol001.jpg
That is image of palantir of Osgiliath btw, but it's best suits in my opinion. :)
Also there is image of Cirdran's ability "Into the West". This picture is really nice, and I my opinion it's integration inside palantir look/image is perfect from Lore aspects. But previous suggestion is maybe better because of diversity. (Same picture for 2 different things in faction.)
Team, what you think?
« Letzte Änderung: 21. Jul 2015, 14:12 von CragLord »

ziqing

• Gastwirt zu Bree
« Antwort #3 am: 7. Jul 2015, 15:32 »
I like this picture