[en] The Prancing Pony > Other Tolkien Games

Favorite non-Jackson LotR video games

(1/3) > >>

bookworm1138:
For me, there would be two: Fellowship of the Ring and War of the Ring.

FotR follows the book rather closely, despite some of the sillier moments and it's dated, Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind style graphics (except for faces). Also we get the noted voice actress Jennifer Hale as both Galadriel and Lobelia Sackville-Baggins. I feel as though this version of the story should be concluded with next-gen graphics, especially since it's been long enough that some of the hype from the movies has died down. It would be a great time to bring this series back, with The Treachery of Isengard and The War of the Ring, where we get to see the rest of the book's adventures played out.

WotR is very similar to another nostalgic RPG/RTS, Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, but it's still very fun to play. It only has two sides and a decent campaign, though the lack of the Siege of Minas Tirith and the Battle of Pelennor Fields is a disappointment (but playing the siege of Osgiliath with Boromir and Faramir and the Battle of the Hornburg are certainly high-points). I've also seen that some of the Edain modders must be in some way fans of this game, as I've recognized bits of the dialogue of the Elf Lightbringer and Goblin slave-master in 3.8 and 4.0 (though in German). An expansion that would be bigger (especially with more characters for the Battle of the Pelennor Fields maps - think Eowyn having similar abilities to Boromir, Theoden being fleshed out, Eomer and Imrahil both being DPS/Tank style cavalry heroes, and maybe even more units like the Knights of Dol Amroth and Variags of Khand - i love me the men of Dol Amroth) would certainly be welcome, though it's never going to happen, as the game is so old that Sierra has likely forgotten about it.

How about you? What are your favorite non-Jackson Lord of the Rings games?

Adamin:
Aren't that many (recent) games left beside WotR and FotR.

I kinda came to respect LotRO, although I haven't yet played it. Its accuracy and dedication to the story is really amazing and its chief lore monkey Chris Pierson seems to be a great person. ^^

ThorinsNemesis:
I also like Lotro very much, it's a wonderful game that follows the lore pretty closely and sometimes creates a smart storyline by taking inspiration from the Appendices  :)
Also, if it counts, I like War in the North and the Shadow of Mordor games.

Eandril:
I don't really think that WitN is a really good game. I had fun playing the Coop with my brother, but none of us thought of it as a good game.
Same goes for Shadow of Mordor: It's nice, but not good, a bit repetetiv an boring after some time, actually. And don't ever get me started aboubt the Story of SoM... ;)
I played LotRO for some time, and liked it very much. I don't know why I stopped playing, actually.
But my favourite non-Jackson LoTR game is The Hobbit (2003). I really love that game... music, voice-acting and overall atmosphere are just great, and it's a lot of fun to play.

TiberiusOgden:

--- Zitat von: Adamin am 26. Mai 2015, 10:21 ---I kinda came to respect LotRO, although I haven't yet played it. Its accuracy and dedication to the story is really amazing and its chief lore monkey Chris Pierson seems to be a great person. ^^

--- Ende Zitat ---

I am there since 2007 (and my money as well  :D) ... During 2012 - 2014 I was leader of elven kinship on one of the server. "Protectors of Nenya" was name of that kinship, we had around two hundred members. :)

The main advantage of Lotro is that they have rights only for books ... and additional stories are really great, there are many posibilities for character progression.

Navigation

[0] Themen-Index

[#] Nächste Seite

Zur normalen Ansicht wechseln