19. Apr 2024, 02:27 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Gondor cavalry is truely better than Rohan cavalry. And some outpost ideas  (Gelesen 16026 mal)

™Æ¿® Aragorn £ ‡™

• Gastwirt zu Bree
  • I can do quite a bit of coding myself :P
Gondor cavalry does right about the same trample damage.

And the same damage in general.

But, gondor cavalry is more tanky (1050 health, 1650 upgraded)

They may be 120 command points while Rohan's are 90, but still... It is only a 30 command point difference.

I believe Rohan cavalry (Axe rohhirrim, Normal rohhirrim) should be 60 command points (To encourage more cavalry game play in rohan)

Right now, the only thing rohan has that is better than the other factions is the spear throwers.

That is very wrong, because it not 'cavalry', but a ranged unit.

Rohan needs every type of cavalry possible in their arsenal.

Axe rohhirrim are 'light' cavalry

Rohhirrim are 'normal' cavalry

The Westfold cavalry should fill-up heavy cavalry, in the stables.

Riders of the west fold should become a normal cavalry unit (Rank 2 stables)

And be 120 command points; and 700-850-resources (Not limited)

And of course, removed as an option from the Rohan captains.

I do not think a cavalry faction should be defined by peasant spam, and spear-throwers.

I got a second idea.
This one would be on their outpost.

What about building some kind of super stables?

And in this stables, you can buy all your normal cavalry with better stats.

And all the cavalry in there are 50% better than normal.

They would have 50% more health, 50% more damage; would be 50% faster, And slow down less while trampling.

It would cost around 800-2500.

It could be called 'Breeding grounds of the king'

I know it is ripping off the power  called 'royal breeding', but, that could be replaced with something more useful.

Please, post any outpost ideas you have here, if you got anything better  :D
« Letzte Änderung: 17. Aug 2015, 10:23 von ™Æ¿® Aragorn £ ‡™ »
Sup :P

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
  • Arise! Arise, Writers of KryPtik!
Most of your points here are totally wrong.

First, Rohan cavalry are super cheap, they only cost 280 resources with 6 stud farms, Gondors cavalry with full discounts from farms are still above 400.
Second, Gondr Knights having more health is justified by the leaderships granted by all of Rohans heroes, who can all mount, and the difference in command points.
Third, Breeding Horses allows Rohan cavalry to become more powerful than any other cavalry in the game once they are leveled up.
Fourth, Rohirrim of the Eastfold have an extremely useful formation, which when used skillfully can even defeat enemy pikemen.
Fifth, Rohirrim Archers kick serious ass with fire arrows, and their arrows pierce heavy armor. They are significantly better than spear throwers late game, and much cheaper as well.
Sixth, the idea for the "Kings Breeding Grounds" is essentially the same as the current military camp spellbook power, which lets you generate an entire standing army of Rohirrim for free.
Seventh, Théoden has Glorious Charge, combined with the faction that can have the most cavalry on the field at once. Enough said.

Now, as for your ideas to make Westfold Cavalry a separate unit from captains and make basic cavalry cost 60 CP, both of these have already been mentioned by other people, myself included, and I do agree with making the basic Rohirrim cost only 60 CP. The biggest issues with Rohan right now are how weak their heroes are in late game, their expensive upgrades which make it harder to progress to late game, and finally like you mentioned, Peasant spam is simply more effective and useful than making cavalry. Making changes to the health and command points of Rohirrim will not change this, because pikes still win on the whole against Rohan's cavalry.

Finally, there is already a separate thread for Rohan Outpost ideas, so you should be posting your outpost ideas there. Please do more research on the forums before and in game before making these mostly incorrect posts. Sorry if that sounds rude, I'm just being straight up with you :)
Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter! Spear shall be shaken! Shield shall be splintered! A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride, ride to ruin, and the worlds ending! FORTH EORLINGAS!

Adrigabbro

• Gesandter der Freien Völker
I'll take this chance to give an idea of mine I've already proposed, but got no answer:
How about making Riders of the Eastfold a cheaper (but weaker) version of Rohirrims ? It would perhaps ease the transition between peasants and cavalry (make it more natural) while giving those units a better spot.

Also, second idea/question concerning cavalry: why can't Rohirrims toggle between spear and bow? It would help defeating an opponent who is stacking pikes. "Pure" Rohirrim archers would still be used because they would deal much more damage than normal Rohirrims with bow.

"That still only counts as one!"

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
I don't like the idea of making eastfold rohirrim weaker. I like them in their current form, good against pikes with their formation. Also, rohirrim from the tents can toggle between spear and bow.
Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter! Spear shall be shaken! Shield shall be splintered! A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride, ride to ruin, and the worlds ending! FORTH EORLINGAS!

Adrigabbro

I know that. That's no answer...

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
Why not? Whats wrong with having the toggle on the summoned rohirrim?

Adrigabbro

There is nothing wrong with that. But why couldn't it also be on the regular Rohirrims?

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
I think it would be redundant and unnecessary to have all Rohirrim able to switch between ranged and melee. Generally, the melee Rohirrim are good early to mid game at killing most enemies, and late game when enemies become extremely strong through upgrades is when the mounted archers come in. Giving all Rohirrim a weak ranged attack is pointless in my view.

Adrigabbro

Think of it. You are facing a massive Isengard army. You decided to go for the Last March of the Ents path, trying to defeat the enemy early, but it didn't work out. You need to get rid of that annoying pikesmen Uruk frontline before charging in. Archer Rohirrims can't do it on their own because you don't have enough CP to gather both regular and archer cavalry. Would it still be pointless?

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
Once Isengard has a fully upgraded army, you cannot engage in melee at all, period. At that point all you can do is make a bunch of Rohirrim Archers and hit and run till you wear them down, or do a base race and ignore the enemy army completely. If melee Rohirrim could switch to a weak bow attack, it wouldn't do any more good than charging in with Rohirrim of the Eastfold and switching to Line Formation to engage in melee. A weak bow that doesn't pierce heavy armor isn't even going to scratch an Isengard army. If you want to test this theory yourself, next time you are facing an enemy army late game with Rohirrim, make an army comprised of tent Rohirrim, who can switch to a weak bow which doesn't have fire arrows or pierce heavy armor, and you will see how useless it is.

Adrigabbro

Fine, you are right about that scenario. But until your opponent gathers such an army, there is at least a 20 minutes window, more if you are not playing against Isengard. You can't argue how handy this change would be concerning small skirmishes, that do manage to happen a lot. Isn't it the whole point of this thread? Making Rohan cavalry handier so that you can win without relentlessly stacking peasants ?

As for Rohan lategame, I believe there are other ways to fix it (an alternative outpost, a new way to get elite infantry, buffs for heroes etc... )

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
I truly believe the current system is fine for early-mid game. If you give all Rohirrim a ranged attack, it would be OP. How can enemy pikes counter you early on if you can just run away and continually take potshots at them? I don't think any changes need to be made to the current Rohirrim. I agree that late game is problematic, but there are ways to fix it without making the current basic horses overpowered. For example, by adding better infantry, making the tent camp Rohirrim stronger, to act as elite units, of which Rohan currently has none, and my personal idea to cause pikes to not deal crush revenge unless put in porcupine formation. I also really think that Rohirrim and Eastfold Rohirrim should be made 60 CP to better represent Rohan as a cavfalry faction. I just don't think that it fits to have all Rohirrim able to fire a bow, and indeed it wouldn't make sense, not all of the Rohirrim have this skill. They are fine as they are, and already are the best basic cavalry in the game.

Adrigabbro

Not all Rohirrim have this skill, you got a point. Still, I don't know how truly OP or interesting it would be. Not saying that I think I'm 100% right, but I remain unsettled. Guess there is no point in debating further. ^^

Concerning your other ideas, here are my thoughts:
~> 60 CP Rohirrims could allow a greater army that's true. Still not sufficient on its own when you face Uruk pikesmen with Shields. But it remains interesting.
~> The camp spell is supposed to represent the call to the war. It means a large amount of riders, not necessarily the best ones. I don't see why they should act as elite units.
~> About the porcupine formation, I don't like the idea of changing a fundamental aspect of the game just for the sake of one faction. I believe it would not be worth it. So hard to manage in a game like that (too much latency, lag etc...)

Finally, some thoughts of mine:
By the time you get enough powerpoints to get the Camp spell, it's already getting quite late in the game. The fact is that you also have to wait some more before using the spell efficiently (researching for the upgrades that will get you (better) riders). How about decreasing that amount of time needed? That could be a start.
Also, the spell that provides your level 5 troops with bred horses is strong but it's hard enough to get level 5 regular units. Perhaps lowering the amount of experience needed? like level 3.

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
I like both of those ideas of yours at the end. In terms of my idea on porcupine formation, its not just for 1 faction, it would be for all cavalry. It really makes sense if you think about it: Why do cavalry take damage from pikemen who are walking with their weapons pointed straight up in the air?

™Æ¿® Aragorn £ ‡™

• Gastwirt zu Bree
I like both of those ideas of yours at the end. In terms of my idea on porcupine formation, its not just for 1 faction, it would be for all cavalry. It really makes sense if you think about it: Why do cavalry take damage from pikemen who are walking with their weapons pointed straight up in the air?

Dude, in-order for your idea to work, they need to make cavalry take more damage when they run pikes over.

Because at the moment, it is face-palmingly low.  :D

And do any of you know the fact that the upgrade in the Rohan tent (10 power point spell) Armory does not work?

And to be honest, Gondor knights could use a damage nerf.

They are killing everything (Even pikes) and they beat Royal guards, dol amroth knights 1v1.

Also, Faramir gives Gondor knights 50% more armor, so they do get good leadership.

And gondor has Imrahil, who is a very good cavalry leader.

My point is Gondor's cavalry stands a chance against Rohan's, while Rohan's infantry would never stand up to Gondor's infantry.

Rohan has no super defensive spear unit (Tower guards)

No heroic infantry (The captains are nice, but not true heroic infantry)

Rohan has Peasants, and if you include the captains, that's all their melee infantry.

Their ranged infantry isn't too bad though.

But, the cavalry side should get a buff that doesn't overpower it.

Their cavalry should have more health, 600 is too average for the 'cavalry' faction.

« Letzte Änderung: 19. Aug 2015, 09:06 von ™Æ¿® Aragorn £ ‡™ »

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
Pikes doing low damage? Are you nuts? Maybe Mordor pikes and Rohan Farmhands, but Gondor, Isengard and especially Dwarf pikes rip cavalry to shreds, especially once they have upgrades. Rohirrim of the Eastfold can put up a decent fight, but without the incredible leaderships provided by Rohans heroes they wouldn't be able to win.

Gondor Knights do not beat Royal guards 1v1, only Knights of Dol Amroth can do that.

Imrahils Leaderships only apply to units of Dol Amroth and the fiefdoms, so they do not effect normal Gondor Knights, they only get the +25% damage buff provided by the Dol Amroth Knights and Faramirs leadership, and Aragorn can give fearlessness once he reaches level 10. Now lets list the leaderships and positive effects that Rohan cavalry gets, to compliment the already frightening size of their cavalry force:

Rohirrim of the Eastfold have a default formation which makes them immune to crush revenge damage, and gives +30% damage and +15% armor.
Théoden gives +25% damage and armor and fearlessness.
All the Captains of Rohan from the Assembly Point give fearlessness.
Gamlings Peasant Summon gives +20% damage and armor.
Gamling can heal each battalion of 1 unit once he gets level 7.
Hama has a constant passive heal out of combat for all nearby allies.
Elfhelm has a fast recharging heal ability.
Eomer gives resources for kills to nearby rohirrim, Memorial at level 7 gives +20% damage while debuffing enemies.

Now do you see what I mean about Rohan's leaderships? Add all of this to the cheap cost in resources and CP, and the Breeding Horses spellbook power, and you end up with an absolutely insane force that can be quickly assembled, and kill any other cavalry force and kill pretty much anything except elite pikes. They are fine as they are, they do not need a buff.

Rohan's infantry can't stand up to Gondor's infantry huh? I wonder why it is that my peasant spam always beats Gondor then, hmmm....

I have used Gondor knights plenty of times myself, and I know for a fact they do not trample as good as Rohirrim, and pikes kill them just as fast as Rohirrim, in fact faster. Rohirrim of the Eastfold slaughter pikes if you use them intelligently. Tower Guards and fully upgraded Isengard pikes excluded for obvious reasons of course.

You are right about the armory upgrade on the tents not working, I tested it out. That belongs in the bug reports however, not here. Good job for finding it though :)

The topics for more elite and heroic units are all over the place, and do not need to be brought up again here, go to the appropriate thread.

™Æ¿® Aragorn £ ‡™

• Gastwirt zu Bree
Pikes doing low damage? Are you nuts? Maybe Mordor pikes and Rohan Farmhands, but Gondor, Isengard and especially Dwarf pikes rip cavalry to shreds, especially once they have upgrades. Rohirrim of the Eastfold can put up a decent fight, but without the incredible leaderships provided by Rohans heroes they wouldn't be able to win.

Gondor Knights do not beat Royal guards 1v1, only Knights of Dol Amroth can do that.

Imrahils Leaderships only apply to units of Dol Amroth and the fiefdoms, so they do not effect normal Gondor Knights, they only get the +25% damage buff provided by the Dol Amroth Knights and Faramirs leadership, and Aragorn can give fearlessness once he reaches level 10. Now lets list the leaderships and positive effects that Rohan cavalry gets, to compliment the already frightening size of their cavalry force:

Rohirrim of the Eastfold have a default formation which makes them immune to crush revenge damage, and gives +30% damage and +15% armor.
Théoden gives +25% damage and armor and fearlessness.
All the Captains of Rohan from the Assembly Point give fearlessness.
Gamlings Peasant Summon gives +20% damage and armor.
Gamling can heal each battalion of 1 unit once he gets level 7.
Hama has a constant passive heal out of combat for all nearby allies.
Elfhelm has a fast recharging heal ability.
Eomer gives resources for kills to nearby rohirrim, Memorial at level 7 gives +20% damage while debuffing enemies.

Now do you see what I mean about Rohan's leaderships? Add all of this to the cheap cost in resources and CP, and the Breeding Horses spellbook power, and you end up with an absolutely insane force that can be quickly assembled, and kill any other cavalry force and kill pretty much anything except elite pikes. They are fine as they are, they do not need a buff.

Rohan's infantry can't stand up to Gondor's infantry huh? I wonder why it is that my peasant spam always beats Gondor then, hmmm....

I have used Gondor knights plenty of times myself, and I know for a fact they do not trample as good as Rohirrim, and pikes kill them just as fast as Rohirrim, in fact faster. Rohirrim of the Eastfold slaughter pikes if you use them intelligently. Tower Guards and fully upgraded Isengard pikes excluded for obvious reasons of course.

You are right about the armory upgrade on the tents not working, I tested it out. That belongs in the bug reports however, not here. Good job for finding it though :)

The topics for more elite and heroic units are all over the place, and do not need to be brought up again here, go to the appropriate thread.

Sorry to be so argumentive, but Eomer's Memorial abillity is stationary, so it can't really work on cavalry (They just run out of its radius).

And, that leaves two actual leaderships for rohan's soldiers: Theodon, +25% armor and damage.
The elite rohan tent cavalry (and I am sad to see they didn't fix the armory bug in the patch's changelog)  +20% attack and defense.

And one thing for sure is, Gondor knights do actually kill Dol armoth knights 1v1 (And if you say the dol amroth knights beat royal guards 1v1, then that says something)

Like I said, they should deal less damage.

And I did put that in the Rohan bugs section, I think it got deleted O_o.

If so, why :O That is a serious rohan bug
« Letzte Änderung: 19. Aug 2015, 21:59 von ™Æ¿® Aragorn £ ‡™ »

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
I have used memorial to help my cavalry many times. If the enemy army is comprised mainly of pikes, then you put your rohirrim of the eastfold into formation, plant the memorial and watch the carnage ensue. Also thanks for reminding me of the leadership granted by the Military Camp Rohirrim, I had forgotten it in my previous post. I don't understand what you mean by "real leadership" but all of the effects I listed stack up, making Rohirrim armies much harder to kill. Constant healing and unit replenishment have a massive effect on conflicts, and earning resources for kills means that you can reassemble your already cheap army even faster. Finally combine the 20% armor and damage with Theodens, for a total of 45%, plus the Eastfold line formation, which now grants +30% armor AND damage in newest update, and it makes for very strong troops. I'll be testing Gondor Knights vs Royal Guards with a friend, because frankly I don't believe you. If a battalion of Gondor Knights can beat a battalion of Royal Guard or Knights of Dol Amroth in single combat, then something is not right. Like I already said though, I doubt this very much.
« Letzte Änderung: 19. Aug 2015, 22:44 von Elite KryPtik »

™Æ¿® Aragorn £ ‡™

• Gastwirt zu Bree
I have used memorial to help my cavalry many times. If the enemy army is comprised mainly of pikes, then you put your rohirrim of the eastfold into formation, plant the memorial and watch the carnage ensue. Also thanks for reminding me of the leadership granted by the Military Camp Rohirrim, I had forgotten it in my previous post. I don't understand what you mean by "real leadership" but all of the effects I listed stack up, making Rohirrim armies much harder to kill. Constant healing and unit replenishment have a massive effect on conflicts, and earning resources for kills means that you can reassemble your already cheap army even faster. Finally combine the 20% armor and damage with Theodens, for a total of 45%, plus the Eastfold line formation, which now grants +30% armor AND damage in newest update, and it makes for very strong troops. I'll be testing Gondor Knights vs Royal Guards with a friend, because frankly I don't believe you. If a battalion of Gondor Knights can beat a battalion of Royal Guard or Knights of Dol Amroth in single combat, then something is not right. Like I already said though, I doubt this very much.

By real leadership, I mean leadership that gives +20% to a stat/stats such as armor and damage; not giving resources for kills, or healing xD.

And in this update(they did not win in the last update), the eastfold Rohhirrim (With their stance)  beat gondor knights 1v1. And btw, gondor knights did beat Dol amroth knights 1v1 in 4.1.1.

I do all my testing with world builder.

And btw, they made draft take 60% longer to come back(On top of being 10% longer to recruit), so I believe peasant spam might just be on even terms with cavalry spam now.

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
I tested with my friend in game in latest patch, Gondor Knights do not beat Royal Guard. Leadership isn't the only thing that makes Rohan cavalry so strong, its all the effects I listed earlier combining with Leadership. Rohan cavalry is better than Gondor in every way, they are cheaper, less CP, stronger, and trample better.

Peasant spam is still superior, if you make all your farms the peasant recruiting ones and all your inner farms Flour Mills and completely forego cavalry, not only will your economy be super strong, but you can recruit Peasants from anywhere on the map.

™Æ¿® Aragorn £ ‡™

• Gastwirt zu Bree
I tested with my friend in game in latest patch, Gondor Knights do not beat Royal Guard. Leadership isn't the only thing that makes Rohan cavalry so strong, its all the effects I listed earlier combining with Leadership. Rohan cavalry is better than Gondor in every way, they are cheaper, less CP, stronger, and trample better.

Peasant spam is still superior, if you make all your farms the peasant recruiting ones and all your inner farms Flour Mills and completely forego cavalry, not only will your economy be super strong, but you can recruit Peasants from anywhere on the map.

Yeah, I tested some more stuff in world builder.

Such as putting fully upped gondor knights vs fully upped gondor knights

The ai's (It was player creeps) won with over half the battallion still alive
They were 100% equal.

Module maker is terrible for this stuff O_o

Maybe a way to nerf peasant spam (to make cavalry rival more)

Would be to limit how many farms you can build

Maybe limit it down to 3-4.

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
There wouldn't be a way to limit a certain type of farm, and besides there is nothing wrong with fully committing to peasant spam, because it is only effective up to mid game. Once elite units are on the field from Gondor, Isengard or Dwarves, Peasants get massacred easily. Being able to generate an entire army in seconds doesn't help if you can't kill the enemy army.

™Æ¿® Aragorn £ ‡™

• Gastwirt zu Bree
There wouldn't be a way to limit a certain type of farm, and besides there is nothing wrong with fully committing to peasant spam, because it is only effective up to mid game. Once elite units are on the field from Gondor, Isengard or Dwarves, Peasants get massacred easily. Being able to generate an entire army in seconds doesn't help if you can't kill the enemy army.

Dude, you can use the code that is used for heroic units on building
That is possible, xD.

Oh yeah, and those ideas in the outpost suggestions should get implemented (Atleast one of them should)

Gnomi

• Administrator
  • Bewahrer des roten Buches
The code which is used for heroic units has some problems with buildings. You can easily cheat and build more buildings. ;)
And we don't really like restrictions for building, which are not easily understandable - from a logical point of view: why should they be restricted? If would just feel bad and therefore we're always trying to find other solutions.

™Æ¿® Aragorn £ ‡™

• Gastwirt zu Bree
The code which is used for heroic units has some problems with buildings. You can easily cheat and build more buildings. ;)
And we don't really like restrictions for building, which are not easily understandable - from a logical point of view: why should they be restricted? If would just feel bad and therefore we're always trying to find other solutions.

I take it you can't do the same as you did for the 'dol amroth' fortress?

It says you can only build 3.

Moving on; I see your point  :D

I just want Rohan cavalry to be seen online more often than peasants.

The first time I got rohan (Random game) online, I went full out cavalry(Including the rohhirrim archers), and the gondor player just spammed tower guards and heroes at me.
(This was 4.1)

If you possibly could make it so when the Rohhirrim that come out of the tent (10 power point power) are fully upped, they also get fire arrows (Armor piercing like the rohhirrim archers) and heavy armor; horse shields.
That might just make cavalry used alot more (Of course, more often in late game, but that would be a huge improvement for their late game, which is considered the weakest)

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
Yes, the Rohirrim from the Military Camp should absolutely get fire arrows and armor piercing, I agree. As it is though, you CAN go cavalry in theory, if he spams Tower Guards just spam Rohirrim Archers and watch the carnage ensue.

™Æ¿® Aragorn £ ‡™

• Gastwirt zu Bree
Yes, the Rohirrim from the Military Camp should absolutely get fire arrows and armor piercing, I agree. As it is though, you CAN go cavalry in theory, if he spams Tower Guards just spam Rohirrim Archers and watch the carnage ensue.

Glad we can agree with that!

This was in 4.1, so he had every gondor hero he could get (Hero rushed)
And he also had an ally (Mordor

The mordor ally sent ungol spears in to help him

My ally was dwarves, and already having trouble against the spam.

I didn't know about the strategy during that game, so I was already dead.

And this update nerfed the tent rohhirrim... I feel liike wtf!!!

600hp and 1200 hp upgraded O_o

Armory bug still there...

They edited the tent without fixing the bug  :o

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
I had no idea the Rohirrim from the Military Camp were nerfed, that is ridiculous. Rohan already has the weakest 10 point powers in the game, and now they've been made even weaker o_O

Really saddens me how Rohan seems to just get weaker and weaker, while other factions just keep getting stronger and stronger, especially Mordor. Might as well just re-merge them with Gondor into a MotW faction at this rate :(

With the current design, Rohan is just a spam faction like Mordor or Goblins, with barely any late game abilities,

™Æ¿® Aragorn £ ‡™

• Gastwirt zu Bree
I had no idea the Rohirrim from the Military Camp were nerfed, that is ridiculous. Rohan already has the weakest 10 point powers in the game, and now they've been made even weaker o_O

Really saddens me how Rohan seems to just get weaker and weaker, while other factions just keep getting stronger and stronger, especially Mordor. Might as well just re-merge them with Gondor into a MotW faction at this rate :(

With the current design, Rohan is just a spam faction like Mordor or Goblins, with barely any late game abilities,

Yeah, what's really weird about the tent nerf is that it is not listed in the changelog.

In the movies, rohan was stronger than gondor.

In Edain, Gondor is stronger than rohan.

I mean come on, minis tirith would've been lost if it weren't for Rohan.

I don't think gondor saved rohan from isengard (They practically, if you include the book version of helm's deep; without the elves fought isengard alone and won)

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
Your wrong about that, by no stretch of imagination is Rohan stronger than Gondor. The Rohirrim could not have saved Minas Tirith alone without the help of Aragorn and AotD. Also, the entire army of Rohan if fully mustered would number somewhere around 12k, while Gondor could easily summon well over 20k troops with enough time. The only superiority Rohan has is its cavalry.

Also, the films do a poor job, to say the least, of portraying Gondor. Mordor never even enters the city in the books, and 1 Gondor soldier can easily defeat 10 orcs, because they are such highly trained warriors. Peter Jackson made the Gondor soldiers look downright pathetic, and its one of the few things I absolutely hate about the films.

™Æ¿® Aragorn £ ‡™

• Gastwirt zu Bree
Your wrong about that, by no stretch of imagination is Rohan stronger than Gondor. The Rohirrim could not have saved Minas Tirith alone without the help of Aragorn and AotD. Also, the entire army of Rohan if fully mustered would number somewhere around 12k, while Gondor could easily summon well over 20k troops with enough time. The only superiority Rohan has is its cavalry.

Also, the films do a poor job, to say the least, of portraying Gondor. Mordor never even enters the city in the books, and 1 Gondor soldier can easily defeat 10 orcs, because they are such highly trained warriors. Peter Jackson made the Gondor soldiers look downright pathetic, and its one of the few things I absolutely hate about the films.

Well, if you put 10 orc warriors against one gondor soldier in edain, you would have 10 orcs, and a dead gondor soldier  :D

So, I guess balance is not based on the books/movies.

I believe Rohan would probably be perfect if the right changes were made to the tent summon. (10 power point summon)  :)

Gnomi

• Administrator
  • Bewahrer des roten Buches
Even though it is a bit offtopic:

Zitat
and 1 Gondor soldier can easily defeat 10 orcs, because they are such highly trained warriors.

Waaaait... what?^^
Yes, they were highly trained, but one Gondor soldier would never won against 10 orcs. Perhaps if they only attacked one by one, but Tolkien always tried to be realistic and even though the orcs had not such a special training, they weren't bad fighters. And even 3 medium fighters would probably be able to kill one good fighter, if they attacked at once. So why should 3 orcs, who also learned fighting their whole live, not be able to kill a gondorian soldier?
Tolkien always tried to be realistisc and never created such "unkillable mass slayers" as characters in the third age. In the first age such heroes were possible, but not while the war of the ring.

Even the fellowship of the ring with 3 skilled fighters (Gimli, Aragorn, Boromir), one wizard and one archer (and 4 hobbits) had problems with killing <20 goblins.
And Boromir was described as one of the best fighters of Gondor.
So why should 2 normal soldiers be able to stand a better fight than the whole fellowship of the ring? :P

Additionally you hate to take in account that, especially in Osgiliath, the gondorian troups were surprised and not ready for an attack and additionally the nazgul destroyed there whole moral. Another point why the orcs are really strong.

For me one of the well trained gondorian soldier would perhaps be able to kill 2 orcs at once, but not more - with the demoralized mindset because of the nazgul perhaps 1, but not more.

Even while the battle of Minas Tirith Mordor only had four times as many troups as Gondor and Rohan together. And they sieged the whole castle, therefore lost many troups without being able to answer their deaths.
In the battle of Helm's deep Isengard also only had about 2-3 times as many troups as Rohan if you use the numbers of the 4. march (which was when Erkenbrand arrived with 1000 troups)

So it would neither be book, nor movie-friendly when we'ld make the difference between orcs and gondor soldiers bigger. :P

Zitat
The Rohirrim could not have saved Minas Tirith alone without the help of Aragorn and AotD.

Depends if you use the book or the movie - in the books the AotD never reached Minas Tirith. The Mordor army was surprised by those two armies as they didn't expect them at all, but expected reinforcements. Therefore they also panicked and got killed easily.

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
That response was WAY more in depth than anything I was expecting. Firstly, my previous comment was entirely based on the books. I am aware that AotD never reached Minas Tirith in the books, but Aragorn still brought ships full of troops, in addition to his kinsmen, the Dunedain, who are some of the best swordsmen in all Middle Earth. Without these reinforcements, Rohan wouldn't have been enough, which is the point I was getting at.

Secondly, of course I didn't mean 10 orcs at once. I meant that a Gondor soldier could easily be expected to kill 10 orcs before he was finally killed himself, 1 on 1 or 2 on 1. I will again restate that in the books the enemy never actually entered the city, just set the first level on fire. The comments I was making in relation to the size of the armies were if Gondor had enough time to muster up all of its warriors for battle, I was not including troops lost in battles after the fact or troops lost in surprise attacks. I meant Gondor's entire army before the fighting at Minas Tirith.

Gandalf The Gray

• Balins Schriftführer
  • you shall not pass
i think he has a point about gondor knights are better from rohirims