28. Mär 2024, 14:44 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: The unfinished and abandoned sequel to LotR by Tolkien  (Gelesen 3306 mal)

Fredius

• Edain Betatesting
  • Galadhrim
  • It's good to be evil
I found something interesting today; Tolkien actually wrote a sequel to the Lord of the Rings, called The New Shadow. Sadly he abandoned the project, as he found it too dark, though he did write 13 pages of it already, and they are also published by his son. More info about characters and story can be found here:

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/The_New_Shadow

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
Re: The unfinished and abandoned sequel to LotR by Tolkien
« Antwort #1 am: 7. Sep 2017, 20:16 »
Very much interesting, and quite uncanny too. It seems to me the solid premise for an unpleasant return of some sort of revenant malice, although it is very much hard to fathom the exact intentions of such an incomplete piece. Yet, I really like how the story begins to create and build suspense up. I would say that Tolkien is an incomparable master in getting a new chapter of Arda to open with creeping shadows which grow in the darkness, unbeknownst to the common knowledge.

The question of all: what kind of evil force could make a foray into the mortal ways of the Fourth Age again?

Fredius

• Edain Betatesting
  • Galadhrim
  • It's good to be evil
« Antwort #2 am: 8. Sep 2017, 13:56 »
From what I've read thusfar I would guess that there would've been Men within Gondor, who felt more connected to Evil itself, and thus creating these "satanic cults" within the kingdom. I can imagine that they would either gain enough followers to start a civil war, or perhaps try to possess the current king through dark magic for unknown purposes. There might be some parallels between this story and the downfall of Numenor.

Such a pity that Tolkien abandoned this story though, we can only guess his true intentions with it :(.

Melkor Bauglir

• Held von Helms Klamm
« Antwort #3 am: 8. Sep 2017, 16:05 »
Zitat
Such a pity that Tolkien abandoned this story though, we can only guess his true intentions with it :(.
Funny, because my thought was more like, "Thank god, he did stop!".

Primarily because often "Less is more!" and I'd say this is exactly such an ocasion -there isn't really anything left to talk about, because of the inherent structure of evil in ME and the closure the LotR brought. Think about it as writing a sequel for Citizen Kane: What on earth would be the point of it?
I guess the next point goes mainly for me, but whatever: I guess, I deny Tolkien the ability to write more subtle evil forces, since from a dramatic perspective I value him not that capable (nah, ok, that might be a little harsh wording!).

Greetings
Melkor Bauglir

PS: Walküre, I found something to agree on:
Zitat
I would say that Tolkien is an incomparable master in getting a new chapter of Arda to open with creeping shadows which grow in the darkness
Although entirely because he was the only one writing about Arda and thus winning by lack of contest.

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #4 am: 8. Sep 2017, 18:29 »
I guess the next point goes mainly for me, but whatever: I guess, I deny Tolkien the ability to write more subtle evil forces, since from a dramatic perspective I value him not that capable (nah, ok, that might be a little harsh wording!).

PS: Walküre, I found something to agree on:
Zitat
I would say that Tolkien is an incomparable master in getting a new chapter of Arda to open with creeping shadows which grow in the darkness
Although entirely because he was the only one writing about Arda and thus winning by lack of contest.

Well, it is no surprise to me that you deem the master of plotting and story-telling not capable of coming up with a decent new story. I still remember you trying to dismantle the logic of the Silmarillion, implying that it has not been much pivotal in Tolkien's own construction, after all. Or something like that :D

As for that statement of mine, the term was meant to indicate the whole world in general. By the way, Christopher Tolkien wrote too and continued writing with the intention of expanding Arda's lore. Hence, nay, the Professor is not the sole, literally speaking ;)

Fredius

• Edain Betatesting
  • Galadhrim
  • It's good to be evil
« Antwort #5 am: 8. Sep 2017, 19:54 »
-there isn't really anything left to talk about, because of the inherent structure of evil in ME and the closure the LotR brought.

Disagreed. Evil is not completely withdrawn from Middle-Earth; let's not forget about the event called the Dagor Dagorath, the final battle that decides the fate of Arda. In the time between that battle and the closure of LotR, a whole lot could happen. Perhaps the goal of the cult that is described in The New Shadow was to free Melkor from his imprisonment, thus staging the events that would lead to the final battle. I'm pretty sure Tolkien would be capable of making a great story about these events ;).

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #6 am: 9. Sep 2017, 01:10 »
Based on a quite quick read, I have to say that discovering even the least hints about this new menace was enough thrilling for me. Especially, I would be much interested in that mysterious disappearance of ships, which sort of infers that something is indeed at work in the shadows. Just like the beginning of Sauron's poisonous influence on the woods surrounding the ruined fortress. A pivotal prelude to start with. And, apart from scarcity of broader and more detailed information, I found the hints that were provided quite revealing, in that they indicate the seeds of sedition being sowed in the supposedly peaceful Fourth Age.

And I obviously agree, when we refer to the never-ending character of this universe. One might have said that history could be halted just after the banishment of Morgoth from the ways of Arda. There has been, though, plenty to write about the future happenings of the Second and Third Age. Therefore, even at a smaller (lesser) extent, I'm more than sure that something might be written even for the Fourth Age of Arda. Not so much of a challenge for whom boasts a mastery of story-telling.