29. Mär 2024, 00:30 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Guards of Orthanc  (Gelesen 29137 mal)

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
Re: Guards of Orthanc
« Antwort #45 am: 3. Jan 2017, 16:13 »
As we seem to have settled the issue of these units' origin with the formula I presented (that resolves things under a purely conceptual perspective), I have a solution to present you that was kindly hinted at by a German user. I think it's quite smart and it connects well to Isengard's mechanics.

Before illustrating it, may I say that I agree with the need to give the Guards of Orthanc a definitely wilder look (to indicate their corruption, their marred ancestry and the influence of Dunland), but I would nonetheless like not to depart from the concept-art too much, because a too Dunland-like appearance could arise issues of uniqueness: Dunlendings have already their fair role in the faction and the Uruk-hai are the sole who should represent the new industry-related warfare of Isengard (as the faction gets stronger). That's why I made sure to come up with a kind of third way between the previously-mentioned two, in the sense that their remote Númenórean lineage (both visually and conceptually) provides us with that needed measure of uniqueness, without excluding other connotations. Thus, instead of a wholly savage or fully armoured appearance, those corrupted Númenor/Gondor-related features will do fine, in line with the fortress' past. This is what my instinct tells me.

Now back to the suggestion from the German forum: a user suggested the guards be initially made wilder and more akin to Dunlendings (provided that the Gondor-related touch of the armour and helm remains unaltered, since these sentinels have been patrolling Orthanc long before the arrival of Dunlendings or Orcs), with partly consumed robes and wooden spears; then, once one buys the Wizard's Tower upgrade, they retrieve a nobler appearance and their spears will change to mirror Orthanc's shape (as the very citadel changes to resemble Orthanc as well).

What do you think? Feel free to give your sincere feedback.

Fredius

• Edain Betatesting
  • Galadhrim
  • It's good to be evil
« Antwort #46 am: 3. Jan 2017, 17:14 »
Yes I like the German's proposal. And I also agree with Walk that the Dunlending savageness shouldn't outplay the ancestrial Numenorean lineage. Also may I add that being a Dunlending doesn't necessarily mean that they never take care of their armour. Not sure how reliable it is, but according to lotr wiki the higher nobles of the Dunlendings wore similair armour to the Rohirrim.

DrHouse93

• Elronds Berater
« Antwort #47 am: 3. Jan 2017, 18:15 »
I also like the German's suggestion. It would also be cool if they get increased armor once the Wizard Tower is purchased, as that would give a secondary use to the upgrade even if you can't afford Saruman, yet

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #48 am: 3. Jan 2017, 18:33 »
It would also be cool if they got increased armour once Wizard's Tower is purchased, as that would give a secondary use to the upgrade, even if you can't afford Saruman yet.

I agree. If the idea receives enough support, I will proceed with inserting it in the main page; both here and in the German forum  :)

lordoflinks

• Pförtner von Bree
« Antwort #49 am: 4. Jan 2017, 00:08 »
I also like the German's suggestion. It would also be cool if they get increased armor once the Wizard Tower is purchased, as that would give a secondary use to the upgrade even if you can't afford Saruman, yet
I like this idea a lot.
All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death.

But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

My avatar is Romana, a favorite person of mine

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #50 am: 4. Jan 2017, 01:33 »
Ok, I will add that suggestion in the main comment.

As for Axe of Doriath, this concept has almost come to a finalised shape, meaning that it's now quite complete. We can thus just hope that it will eventually manage to get into the game. I would like to thank all the ones who took their time to debate their own opinions and so to polish the proposal even more. I'm very content of the final outcome  :)

We managed to get positive feedback in the German forum too (so far, no one is completely against the concept): even though there have been divergent views, the topic nonetheless succeeded in attracting people's interest. That's the most important thing. Needless to say, any additional thought is obviously very welcome and allowed to be shared.

Mr.Todd

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #51 am: 12. Jan 2017, 16:46 »
I agree with Fredius, Guards of Orthanc should be a defensive upgrade for the citadel, they are not necessary on the battlefield, but I really like the idea of a new defence for Isengard.

AmosVogel

• Gastwirt zu Bree
« Antwort #52 am: 12. Jan 2017, 21:15 »
Hey! thanks to Die Wälkire i've come to this, and i found it AMAZING!!!

But i may suggest something a bit different (due to my late arriving to this debate):

Yes, we could purchase some upgrade in the citadel, but instead of surrounding randomly the fortress, could it unlock another option for the defensive plots?

What i mean is that instead of only getting warg sentry or sentry tower we could add a gondorian-like tiny tower-building that summons this non controllable guys. & maybe by selecting this building their armor-weapons could be upgraded:

Normal citadel (but already purchased the upgraded):

Orthanc Guard lvl 1: summon four lesser numénorean soldiers to defend the base. Wooden spear equiped. Pasive ability. (the idea is -as read in this tread- to summon soldiers more dunland like than gondorian like).

Once we upgrade to excavations:

Orthanc Guard lvl 2: summon four lesser numénorean great armored to defend the base. Gondorian armor equiped. Pasive ability. (the more the citadel improves the more the soldiers get better)

& when we get the wizard's tower:

Orthanc Guard lvl 3: Summon four lesser numénorean heavy armored to defend the base. Tower guards equiped but with the white hand instead of the white tree.

*They will act as the warg sentry: they will attack when enemy gets too much close to the base.
*They will not be cumulative, every stage will kill automatically the previous ones and summon the new ones.
*They wont be selectable.
*They wil look pretty nice :)

Hope it is not too late, but rememember what Gandy says: a busy man arrives precisely when he means to ^^
"Viva México"

Fredius

• Edain Betatesting
  • Galadhrim
  • It's good to be evil
« Antwort #53 am: 12. Jan 2017, 22:10 »
Having three options for the surrounding buildplots is too much imo. Also it makes the guards too numerous and with that, they lose their uniqueness. They're called Guards of Orthanc after all, not just regular guards.

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #54 am: 12. Jan 2017, 22:21 »
Having three options for the surrounding buildplots is too much imo. Also it makes the guards too numerous and with that, they lose their uniqueness. They're called Guards of Orthanc after all, not just regular guards.

I agree, because it would make the whole concept more complex, when it's instead supposed to be a minor aspect (very useful in the early stage of the game). Moreover, you're always welcome, Amos, to share your opinions on the matter. Just, the proposal is already consolidated and wholly accepted by many users (both here and in the German forum). If I told you that we can change things nonetheless, I would be telling you something improper. I'm sorry, but there is very little that may be changed, at the final phase of this thread's development.

AmosVogel

• Gastwirt zu Bree
« Antwort #55 am: 12. Jan 2017, 23:47 »
Such a pity! anyways, it's an amazing idea  [uglybunti]

Agree
"Viva México"

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #56 am: 13. Jan 2017, 00:12 »
Such a pity! anyways, it's an amazing idea  [uglybunti]

Agree

Thank you for supporting the proposal, Amos. I will add your name to the list  :)

Dain@

• Pförtner von Bree
  • baruk khazad khazad? ai-menu. For the King ! ! !
« Antwort #57 am: 25. Jan 2017, 18:58 »
Hello ! Great idea ! I Hope 4.5. we will be able to enjoy it!
+1

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #58 am: 25. Jan 2017, 19:16 »
Hello ! Great idea ! I Hope 4.5. we will be able to enjoy it!
+1

It's great to hear that! I shall add your name to the list. A list comprising many people, of whom some gave their own contribution even in the German forum  :)

Ectheldir

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #59 am: 27. Jan 2017, 17:40 »
I also really like this one!
+1