28. Mär 2024, 12:56 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: How to play with scout heroes?  (Gelesen 3750 mal)

Chiska

• Wanderer des Alten Waldes
  • To err is human, to forgive divine
How to play with scout heroes?
« am: 5. Jan 2016, 16:17 »
For some reason I just cannot use scout heroes as they are supposed to be used.

Whenever I get the cheap scout heroes I always end up just tossing them into battle and using them as regular heroes. I find it really hard to "scout" with the scout heroes because according to me they are too weak to take out a creep liar by themselves, right?

Anyways I would like to be told how to use scout heroes as they are supposed to be used.

Odysseus

• Galadhrim
Re: How to play with scout heroes?
« Antwort #1 am: 5. Jan 2016, 16:57 »
Well, the thing is that the term scouting can have different interpretations but also implementations in an RTS. My interpretation is closest to the vanilla RTS games, like Age of Empires or Starcraft. Scouting is all about Line of Sight (Revealing the Fog of War) and speed/maneuverability to me.

In Edain, the closest you get to a scout hero, I would say, is Pippin, or Merry, since they fit the description I gave above best. Pippin can greatly increase his LOS and Merry can increase his speed.

As for the other heroes, well, just use them like you said. Most of them do not have abilities that fit the description I gave, and serve much better among the frontlines. I have no issue with it personally, since it means less micro and thus less strain haha.

All in all, I think Scout Hero is kind of a misleading term. I would rename them early-game heroes, just for the sake of avoiding the narrow description at the top of the post.
“For so sworn good or evil an oath may not be broken and it shall pursue oathkeeper and oathbreaker to the world's end.”

ringbearer

• Wanderer des Alten Waldes
« Antwort #2 am: 5. Jan 2016, 17:18 »
I will give you a little long reply:

Merry&Bilbo&Pippin: throwing rocks can kill a troll with ease :)

After early game, they are not so usefull in direct fight, so you can try to get close to your oponent, activate elven cloak and vuala, you can stand there forever and see what your enemy is doing, it's even better with pippin and his mega sigh bonus.

Rumil&Orofin: you have a bow hero, so no troll or warg is safe :) + you can go invisible for a moment, so you excape a battle with ease + they have a speed bonus on top of that

Scout of IH: it's my favourite :) is is so fast + no one have a mount that early so just run and take other settlemets before anyone else

Shagrat&Gorbag: they are not really a scout heroes now, but shagrat has a nice line of sight + they can steal ressources with lvl2 ability, so it's nice.

Bill Ferny: his function is good in theory, but he is no scout, everyone just rush to upgrade him and use his last ability. I think i have never seen anyone using any other ability of him that the last one.

Hamanathnath

• Gefährte der Gemeinschaft
« Antwort #3 am: 5. Jan 2016, 19:18 »
The scout heroes, in my opinion, all have something that helps them scout and have something that makes them combat effective.  I'll go through the list.

Merry/Pippin (Rohan/Gondor):  I'm putting these two together because of how similar they are.  Because both Gondor and Rohan have no 1 point Spellbook scouting power, these 2 hobbits you will really be you only way of scouting just as the game starts.  And they are both very useful.  Pippin's ability allows him to have a very far vision range, which is extermly useful for scouting.  Merry's ability, a speed boost, while not as good at scouting, does have its scouting uses.  And also has the benefit helping him chase down enemies, or run from them.  Both of the have cloak, which can help in many situations, such as scouting and getting away from danger.  They are both are combat effective at all times of the game (early game because of rocks to kill trolls and the choice of upgrading them, and late game because of their lvl 10 Noldor Daggers, which do a lot of damage, making them decent at finishing off enemy heroes).

Bilbo (Ered Luin):  Has some identical abilities to the other hobbits (cloak and throwing rocks), as well as an ability that is similar to Merry's (which doesn't last as long, but also increases his damage).  His level 7 ability summons money, something like 1500 if I remember correctly, which is very useful.  You can leave him in ur base for free cash whenever the ability is available, but I found that getting him killed is more effective, because Bilbo is cheap, you get more money then you lose remaking him,  and getting killed resets the ability's timer.  Mithril Armour makes him a more effective late game fighter, but I would recommend giving that Armour to the other heroes before you give it to Bilbo.

Scout of the Iron Hills (Iron Hills):  The only mounted scouts, meaning they are the fastest scout in the game.  They also have a very wide vision range.  You can also have 3 of them for relatively cheap, making them the best scout heroes at scouting.  However, they are pretty awful when it comes to fighting early game to make up for this.  Once you have Dain, however, you will be able to make them entire groups of Ram Riders, making them good cavalry units.  (DISCLAIMER: I am aware of a bug that makes them insanely effective early game as of version 4.2.1. However, because I consider it cheating, I will not talking about how to do it or what it does.)

Nori (Erebor):  While only decent at scouting, Nori is very useful because of his auto-leveling ability, allowing him to become more effective just by being alive (with him automatically getting Mithril Armour at lvl 10).  He has a speed boost, useful for getting in and out of combat, a knife throw, good for dealing will fleeing scout heroes and some creeps, and a teleport that damages enemies.  But his most useful ability is his Dori Summon.  It's basically like having another scout hero in combat, and at level 10 Dori has AoE and Knockback.  Dori does have a timer however, so use him well in the time you have him. 

Rumil and Orophin (Lothlorien):  The brother's of Haldir are very effective in combat.  While not having many unique abilities (Speed Boost and Stealth, both with many uses), their damage early game is good, and having a long range Scout hero is is very useful against creeps.  They also have an ability that heals themselves, good in tough situations.  But I'll be honest, I've never gotten either of these 2 to level 7, so I actually don't know what their last ability does.  I've heard I'm not missing much though.  Don't waste Gift of Lorien on them.  There are so many other heroes with better upgrades.

Gorbag/Shagrat (Mordor):  These 2 don't really have any abilities that help them scout (Besides Gorbag's Orc scout summon, which has its uses).  What they lack in scouting is replaced by how effective they are in combat.  Gorbag is very good at killing other scout heroes, due to his high attack speed and poison damage.  Shagrat has more armour an AoE attack, at the cost of speed and attack speed.  They both can steal money from buildings (but Gorbag's is just better so use his), Can summon the other hero to help in combat, and can summon a horde at level 10, which changes the summoned unit depending on who is out.  I prefer Gorbag in combat, but Shargrat has his uses, namely summoning Black uruks on a building to defend it.

Bill Ferny (Isengard):  An extremely strong early game scout, he is argueably the best in combat.  Upgrading him to level 10 gives him an Ability that makes him have very high damage, Armour, speed, and steal money from whatever he hits.  And that's really his the only ability u need to use.  He does have other abilities, such as disguising as another unit, good for scouting, and he has detect the nearest enemy hero, but if you're buying Bill, it's for his level 10 ability.  However, after early game he really isn't that useful because his damage isn't that good in late game.

That's all of them for now.
« Letzte Änderung: 5. Jan 2016, 21:11 von Hamanathnath »