28. Mär 2024, 11:58 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Edain Mod Wiki General Feedback and News Thread  (Gelesen 73575 mal)

The_Necromancer0

• Beschützer des verbotenen Weihers
  • There is evil there that does not sleep
"And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost." Long has the lore of the Edain mod been nothing but a collection of loose pages and riddles lost in time. BUT NO LONGER!! The Edain Wiki Team is proud to present to you the:

The Wiki is an ongoing project which aims to encompass all the data of the Edain Mod under the form of articles, whether it is the units, heroes, buildings or spellbook powers. Or as we like to say: "Concise communication of all the information easily to all the Companions of Edain"(the wiki's mission). Now, when I said that the wiki is an ongoing project I meant that is such a huge project having to take every unit, hero, building and spell from a mod as exhaustive in its lore accuracy as the Edain mod is an exhausting project, from the 4 different forms of Aragorn to the complex outpost systems of the factions without forgetting the unique spellbook, ring heroes, dwarven faction system and so on... This project is planned over several years during which we hope to form a community of fans of the Edain Mod with various dedication levels which take interest in sharing their knowledge with newcomers (or oldcomers, you learn something new everyday). In the end the Wiki will be a massive project with hundreds of pages which is why below follows a short guide to getting around the wiki:
  • Factions Page: each faction is linked and summarized there.
  • Help Page: this is where you can read about getting help, if you have a specific questions checkout the forums
  • Table of Content Page: this page lists every main "hub" which links to other pages and linking to other pages, it is the best way to get around
  • Ring Heroes Page: this is the list of all the ring heroes for the Edain Mod
  • Main Page: this is the current main page, the link is automatically updated to always link to the main page as the one above links to the current main page and needs to be updated manually.
  • Community Creations: this is where everything made by the community goes, whether map or submod, anything that affects the way the mod can be played.
  • Installation: tutorial on how to install the mod and various other tips
  • Multiplayer: tutorial on how to play online
But this is only a part of what the Wiki presents and each page is often fit with its own gallery, images and Table of Content for easier navigation. Along with that the Wiki-Navigation bar (at the top) provides you with a handful of useful links anytime, anyplace. However editing is a long and complex process which only the people who fit at least one criteria below can dare to try:
  • you're currently reading this list and/or think it was going to be way different
Only if you fit one of the high-skilled criteria above ( :P) can you even dare to think of the possibility of editing the wiki. But on a more serious note, as you saw above, anyone can edit the wiki. It doesn't have to be a whole page, it can simply be a spelling mistake you saw, which happens more often than you think, you can also add some strategy tips for hero, faction or units or improve on the already existing design of the pages. You can even get some help to familiarize yourself with the surroundings here and or go on the forums to ask your questions directly. You can also check out our staff list to ask for help. Every month massive news post will be created, summarizing changes in the wiki this month along with shoutouts to top editors and newcomers.
So, with that being said, I bid you farewell and hope to see you on the wiki and if you have any question, feedback or suggestions you are also welcome to post them here.

Massive News Posts Links:

One Year Anniversary (Special)
January 2017
February 2017
March 2017
April 2017 (no news post)
May 2017
June 2017
July 2017

This post has been edited to present an updated version of the Edain Wiki, therefore post below may seem out of place or inappropriate while having possibly being entirely appropriate before the edit. Please do not post any things about posts below if they seem out of place, unless they were posted after the April 2016 Massive update post, in this case they are still relevant.
« Letzte Änderung: 1. Jun 2017, 04:19 von The_Necromancer0 »
Come chat Edain on Discord: https://discord.gg/CMhkeb8
Questions on the Mod? Visit the Official Wiki: http://edain.wikia.com/

Odysseus

• Galadhrim
Re: Edain WIKI!!
« Antwort #1 am: 7. Jan 2016, 14:38 »
Hello mr Necromancer,

You wrote all this? If so, I really commend you for being such a devout fellow. Very few people have the patience to do so. I might contribute in the future!

Cheers!
“For so sworn good or evil an oath may not be broken and it shall pursue oathkeeper and oathbreaker to the world's end.”

The_Necromancer0

« Antwort #2 am: 7. Jan 2016, 17:02 »
Thank you very much, eager to see your name in that "latest activity" box. I must admit to having copy pasted a couple thing for the LOTR Wiki but that's about it.

WarOfTheRingVeteran

• Pförtner von Bree
« Antwort #3 am: 7. Jan 2016, 19:03 »
Great work, man! Well, it's so nice to have a wiki about the best game ever! Thanks for starting it! Looking forward for it being expanded :)

I might contribute as well :)
« Letzte Änderung: 7. Jan 2016, 22:46 von WarOfTheRingVeteran »

kolibri8

• RPG Team
  • Veteran von Khazad-Dûm
  • Geschichtsstudent und künftiger Schülerschreck.
« Antwort #4 am: 7. Jan 2016, 19:31 »
Why a new one, if we have already one with an english and a german version?

Granted, the english wikia is pretty much dead, yet it is connected with the german Edain Wikia. So, why a new wikia if you could simply revive the old one?

Also the English one was already presented here by Nightmaster.
RPG:
1. Char Alfward bei Dol Guldur.
2. Char Qúsay in Aín Sefra.

Das Wiki zum RPG. Schaut mal ruhig vorbei ;).

Neu im RPG und Probleme mit dem Namen? Schickt mir einfach 'ne PM ;).

Geschichtsfragen? Hier gibt's Antworten.

The_Necromancer0

« Antwort #5 am: 7. Jan 2016, 22:32 »
The problem with the english one was the afk admin. Without them it would have been impossible to modify the background or the icon like I did on the new one. Obviously I have forgotten to connect the one I created with the german version which I will do. Understand me, if you look at this you'll see that I was really hyped about this and I started editing like crazy, but all my admin related posts have remained unanswered and so I decided to create a new one where major customization could take place. Without an admin, users will only ever be able to fill the slots given to them, with an admin those slots can be expanded, changed shaped, ect... you get the metaphor.

The_Necromancer0

« Antwort #6 am: 8. Jan 2016, 11:00 »
I've been working all morning and I'm proud to present the first Edain Wiki Update. This is a small text with similar purpose to the Edain News but for the wiki. I've done some major changes on how things work and I've added a lot of things that will help users expand the Wiki. The Edain Mod Wikia now has:
-achievements with custom names and icons!!
-an infobox designed for factions!!
-a reworked navigation bar!!
-a custom background!!
-Edain Team Credit Section!!
-a reworked forum with a new board: Suggestions: for all the things you like seen but can't do or don't want to do alone
-and other minor edits for you to discover....

So join now and find out all about your favorite units, heroes and factions of the Edain Mod.
Sincerely,
The Necromancer

kolibri8

• RPG Team
  • Veteran von Khazad-Dûm
« Antwort #7 am: 8. Jan 2016, 11:51 »
Although you could've applied for Admin rights here:Adoption:Requests.

Also when I said the german and the english wikia are connected, I meant this:

(This Site is also available in German. Try it out! Edain Wikia)
This is archieved with an identical URL except for the language Prefix (edain.wikia.com and de.edain.wikia.com)

And this (which can be found on the bottom of the articles):

(Languages: German)
These Interwiki links have to be requested here:Interlanguage link requests.
But I'm pretty sure it is not possible to link more than one wiki per language or the outcome would be pretty strange (as it is with the german and english Star Wars wiki(a)s, where Jedipedia.de (on wikia) links to wookiepedia (on wikia), while wookiepedia links to Jedipedia.net (not on wikia). Why Jedipedia.de and Jedipedia.net are different is because their Community couldn't agree on moving to wikia and so there are two now [ugly].)

However I've got to say the marketing of the new one is much better xD.
RPG:

The_Necromancer0

« Antwort #8 am: 8. Jan 2016, 12:20 »
Zitat
Although you could've applied for Admin rights here:Adoption:Requests.
I didn't know that, I might have done it otherwise, well next time maybe.

Zitat
Also when I said the german and the english wikia are connected, I meant this:

(This Site is also available in German. Try it out! Edain Wikia)
This is archieved with an identical URL except for the language Prefix (edain.wikia.com and de.edain.wikia.com)
I did know that but I didn't know that you needed to request the linkage, by linking I meant putting a link to the german on the home page.

Overall, I understand that creating a new wiki with the same purpose might have been a bit messy, but I didn't know at the time that you could apply for adoption and it felt to me as though I was going to have to drag a dead horse all the way through. This is why I created the new Wiki so that everybody on this forum could have a say. I'm online 80% of the time, most of the time, whether on my computer or simply through notifications on my mails. This will allow me and the other user to collaborate more efficiently as communication is key and I didn't see any on the old wiki. All I saw was the default forums, the default navigation tab, the default icon, the default text and the default background. This is why I created a new wiki, now are you gonna keep beating that dead horse or do you wanna join me and saddle up on the live one ;)?

kolibri8

• RPG Team
  • Veteran von Khazad-Dûm
« Antwort #9 am: 8. Jan 2016, 12:36 »
One last thing to that matter:
Maybe we could merge the two?

Since the Article (and User) count is still so low, this should be easier now, than later.

I just don't like to have dead wikias drift around in the Internet. ;)
RPG:

Chiska

• Wanderer des Alten Waldes
  • To err is human, to forgive divine
« Antwort #10 am: 8. Jan 2016, 18:01 »
The page is looking outstadingly great, Necromancer. Can't wait to start contributing!

Melkor Bauglir

• Held von Helms Klamm
« Antwort #11 am: 8. Jan 2016, 21:54 »
A very good idea of you. However I do have some criticism, before I do think that some parts are just not supported by facts and are therefore assumptions (of which I personally don't think, they are true). E.g. this part:
Zitat
The Army consisted of over 10,000 Dwarves. They had only Infantry and Artillery Machinery. Possibly the strongest Artillery in Middle-Earth as it is stated that a huge army of orcs tried to attack Erebor "but they were no match for Dwarven Machinery."
Where is your source for this? There may be valid reasons for this, but IMO this stands out as a flaw if you can't confirm it directly (also, because this statement consists of a lot of superlatives ("only Infantry and Artillery", "strongest Artillery").

Also there are some mistakes I found by scanning the text, e.g.:
Zitat
The more the merrier once you have two nazguls out the total armor and damage lost is 30% rendering units useless in the face of the might of Mordor.
Because you actually need all Nazgûl for this debuff, but they also destroy all leadership buffs for enemies. (Each Nazgûl brings 10% less armor / damage which is increased by 5% for each new unique Nazgûl. Therefore with a maximum of 5 different Nazgûl this makes for a debuff of 30% armor & damage.)

Looking forward to see more, I might also write some stuff, if I do have the time. :)

Greetings
Melkor Bauglir

The_Necromancer0

« Antwort #12 am: 8. Jan 2016, 22:35 »
For the first one I believed I fished that one right off the LOTR Wiki. I'll verify and edit as it needs to be. The second one I wrote myself, but I am no modding expert so I might have gotten it wrong. I do encourage that we continue this discussion on the wiki forum, it'll liven up the community and keep this thread organized as your post is clearly a wiki-edition related post, of which i'm happy as it increase the chances of the wiki not dying off like the first one :) I also invite you to edit this yourself if you wish, I review most edits and either retouch it if there is fact proving that what is written is wrong or get in contact with the contributor to talk about it.

The_Necromancer0

« Antwort #13 am: 9. Jan 2016, 11:52 »
"What?!? Two updates in two days??" I hear you say. Don't worry I'll calm down as time goes on ...probably, but I felt it was necessary as I have done some reworking and new people have joined and I'd like to give them a shoutout, so lets roll:
-Two New Main Page Section:
      -Submod: For all the submod creators who wish to post about their submods and let the people know about them
      -Tools of the wiki: A section made to list all custome made tools that will help users in writing and contributing to the wiki
-Let's get visual: More Pictures!!! A Slideshow for Edain Mod Unit Models on top and a slider for Edain Mod Building Models/Showcase
-3 New custom infoboxes with 3 different purposes!!
-A chat!! We're going live to you at your computer!!
-"May Elven Grace be upon you": More custome achievements with elf portraits, even you-know-who...
-had enough? we're not finished: Angmar News page, available in the popular pages tab, keep up with the latest news on the upcoming faction
-Shoutout to: Scrubor I, editing hero lists for many factions, Rappy 4187 for edits on different pages containing factual/spelling error. Keep up the good work guys, really appreciate it.
-and more minor tweaks....

That's about it for this update, I think things are going to settle as I run out of things to tweak but I'll always be there in the dark: editing, communicating, collaborating if you need me.

The_Necromancer0

« Antwort #14 am: 10. Jan 2016, 09:39 »
UPDATE 10/01/2016
I said that I "might" calm down as time goes not that I would... You know the drill let's get rolling. In today's update:
-Two new sections, courtesy of Gimleux
     -Create a Hero: everything you need to know about the new and reworked Edain Mod 4.0 Create a Hero system
     -Eastereggs: not meant as a how to guide but rather as a centralized location for all of the hints and tips that the Edain team has given the user on eastereggs
-New Infobox: Custom Hero: An easy way to share your custom hero with the wiki
-Shoutout to Gimleux: 63 edits and 300, what would we do without him? keep up the good work
-"The Dwarves are upon you!!", new dwarf themed badges for the wiki
-More pictures!!! more content!!! more categories!!!
-another new section: Youtube: edain mod is very spread all over youtube, find here channels that make videos of various versions of edain
-Top ten list: Hottest pages
-tweaks of all sorts to add on to the quality...

It's always nice to see new faces join and with all the new categories almost anybody can contribute, whether you want to share your knowledge, showcase a Youtube channel that make Edain videos, write about your Submod or if you just want to fill out certain sections or even if you just want to propose changes, anybody can join and I encourage you to!!
« Letzte Änderung: 10. Jan 2016, 10:52 von The_Necromancer0 »