28. Mär 2024, 15:32 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Edain Mod Wiki General Feedback and News Thread  (Gelesen 73584 mal)

The_Necromancer0

• Beschützer des verbotenen Weihers
  • There is evil there that does not sleep
Re: Edain Mod WIKIA
« Antwort #45 am: 24. Jan 2016, 10:14 »
UPDATE 24/01/2016
It has been a while since the last update but quite a lot has been added at various places so I believe its important to have an update to keep everyone up-date. So here we go:
-New URL: we've salvaged the old URL: edain.wikia.com
-Recent Changes Patrol: Discussion Mod and above can now approve edits to make sure they go with the agreed editing etiquette. You can check it out here , make sure to look at the latest posts or read the whole discussion.
-New Board: Admin Board, for any user that holds a administrative user right such as but not limited to: Admin, Chat Mod, Content Mod, ect...
-the slideshow on the main page has been updated to display the latest uploaded pictures
-Summoned Hero Infobox: a slightly modified version of the Hero Infobox for summonable heroes
-Share a Hero: Here you can share your favorite custom hero with everybody
-Previous Versions: Here are link where you can download the prvious version of edain mod
-Other Wikis: Here you can see the other language version of the wiki
-Tweaks have been made to the main page to make it better
-a couple threads have been added to Editing Etiquette board, have a look
-I've given multiple user rights to various users to help manage the wiki, just send me a message every time you do something that requires admin so I can keep track and not freak out.
-other minor tweaks everywhere and content has been added

Overall lots of major updates, and lots of thing that have changed and been added. As always I recommend that every contributor sign up but I will never force that upon them. The wiki keeps on growing and keeps on updating the design becoming finer and finer as time goes.
Come chat Edain on Discord: https://discord.gg/CMhkeb8
Questions on the Mod? Visit the Official Wiki: http://edain.wikia.com/

The_Necromancer0

« Antwort #46 am: 26. Jan 2016, 11:33 »
Project Main Page: 2.0
It has come to my attention that the main page of the English wiki has become quite lengthy as more stuff is being added. Therefore I have created a new page with the goal to replace the current main page but with a more attractive and use friendly look. The minor points are still being decided so I encourage all of you to go contribute to the thread for the subject so that the main page can be interesting to as many as possible. The following links can be seen below:

Thread
Main Page V2.0

I look forward to all the contributions so that everybody can relate to the Main Page 2.0. However, I have protected the actual page, if you wish to contribute please reply to one of the threads. I did this so that every detail can be discussed before being added.

The_Necromancer0

« Antwort #47 am: 31. Jan 2016, 00:04 »
Edain Wiki Monthly Massive News Post (January Edition):
"So it begins."
This is the first Edain wiki massive news post. Unlike the other news posts it encompasses not only the new stuff but also the major accomplishments of the past and acknowledges the valuable contributors of the wiki. So lets start with some already announced thing:
-Founding of the Wiki at edain-mod.wikia.com
-Factions pages created along with Installation, Multiplayer and Upcoming
-Wiki Tools added to help contributors
-Various Help Sections added
-Creation of the custom edit badges for: Mordor, Isengard, Gondor, Rohan
-Plugin Update
-Reworked the Navigation bar (multiple times)
-The Merge (between both wikis into one) followed by the URL name change
-So many pictures!!!!!!

Those are the major achievement that have been done on the wiki, obviously I can't mention anything or if I did the post would wrap twice around Middle-Earth. But let's have a look at some new stuff shall we? Rhetorical question btw, check it out:
-New Main Page: Edited for less bla bla and more wow. Translation: lest text more pics. Each picture is linked to a particular page in the wiki and there is a picture to show all the old main page now serving as a table of content
-New Custom Badges: "May Elven Grace be upon you"
-new help guide on the forum: Categorizing
-MORE PICTURES!!!!!
-tweaking of the navigational bar, but I don't think it's much of a surprise, eh?
-New Forum: Milestones of the Wiki: these are the goals that the wiki strives to attain, they give every contributor a goal to focus on
-ton of new fan-created content has been added and more to come. It has even gotten its own page due to the predicted inflow of map to come, check it out

That's quite a lot of stuff but I'm not done yet. The wiki came to life because people went on there and edited the hell out of it. A wiki isn't just a single person, it's a combination of the knowledge of many, many people. This is where we recognize that:
-Number #1 Editor of the month (drum roll please): Gandalf7000 with 117 edits on the whole wiki. He edited most of the Lothlorien pages along with the Saruman page. Keep it up man :)
-other notable editors are: TheFinalMe, Gimleux, Scrubor I, Kolibri8. Keep it up guys :).

Other Stats:
-Total Page: 73
-Total Edits: 1,904 (more than the number of views in the last stat posts  :D)
-Total Views: 5,885 (!!!!!!)
-Total Pictures: 383
-Total Videos: 1 (baby steps, one at a time)

This is the first of many posts that will represent the achievements of the wiki on the forum. It helps keep track of what the wiki has become and what it can achieve in the future. Talking of future, make sure to check out the new thread on the things the wiki still has to accomplish and what the purpose of that accomplishment is.I'm still hoping to see lots of you on the latest activity feed, even if it's to correct my frenchified english grammar. As of now I bid you a good farewell companions of Edain for I shall make my way towards my Tower of Barad-Dur since it is quite late and I am quite tired

Sincerely,
The Necromancer

The_Necromancer0

« Antwort #48 am: 31. Jan 2016, 10:05 »
I'd like to encourage all the map creators who read this to send me a link to any completed or finished map threads so that I can lay down the bases for their wiki page on the Edain Wiki. I will then message you back with the page link and you will be able to fill in or change anything you think is missing.

Sincerely,
The Necromancer

KillaColt

• Gast
« Antwort #49 am: 8. Feb 2016, 11:54 »
I have noticed that the way the wiki chat is structured makes it rather complicated for anybody to chat since it means that you constantly need to check because there is no notification system.

So the idea is a website called Slack which provides an exhaustive chat service allowing private channels plugins, bot and much more. I think this would be a great idea for the Edain Mod Wiki as it would allow the contributors to connect more easily than before. I've already talked to The_Necromacer0 and he's agreed to set up a channel.

The only downside is that it requires a personal e-mail address to be invited to the channel. It is available both through the browser and through a desktop application which works exactly the same except that the desktop gives you notification constantly where as the browser only does it when you open the website.
I think this program would be a great way for contributors to communicate both with other contributors and with admins. Also the multiple channels make it a great place to be able to talk about various projects whether to suggest something or to give an update.

If you want to try it out before passing judgment then PM The_Necromancer0 with the e-mail address you want to use to set up an account and He'll invite you to the Edain-wiki channel that was set up. It'll notify you if anybody wants to talk to you as long as you have the website open or if you have the app.

I also know that many of you like to keep up to date on your phones which is what influenced me to propose this idea over others: it's fully available on both android and iOS. Anyways check it out here and tell me what you think  xD

The_Necromancer0

« Antwort #50 am: 17. Feb 2016, 22:00 »
The Wikia has officially hit a 100 PAGES!!!! and we've barely added most units and heroes for only TWO factions!!  [uglybunti] It'll be great to see how many pages we get once all the pages are added and remember:
Concise communication of all the information easily to all the Edainers

The_Necromancer0

Edain Wiki Monthly Massive News Post (February Edition)
« Antwort #51 am: 2. Mär 2016, 18:11 »
"A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to."

Sorry about the delay for anyone who looks forwards to the news, I've been slightly busy with other stuff but don't worry I'm back. I haven't made any proper new update throughout the month and I think it's quite nice like that. It doesn't put too much stress on me for creating those news, compiling them, keeping track and it doesn't drown you guys with information like at the beginning, where we had daily news. This is an opportunity to look back on what's been accomplished and what is to still accomplish. For the recap check out the previous massive news here . I won't mention what was already shown in the previous massive news but rather refresh everybody memories about how the wiki is going and what is currently ongoing. Here is stuff to look forward:
-Fan-Made Content:
      -bunch of new maps have been added including Fredius's Famous Massive Army Mission Maps
      -the Flavor Map Pack from Hoho96 and Dr.House93, although not yet completely filled out
      -several other maps including a Seven Level Minas Tirith and a Map from the First Age

-although there are still many more to add which are currently blank and many more which we don't know about, so remember if you are a map creator you can either PM and I'll set the bases of the map and you can fill in whatever is missing or you can go add your map to the already existing list. If you are a map player and you wish to post a map on there, make sure you have permission from the map creator and then follow the same procedure once you do.

-We need Strategists: each faction page needs a little strategy corner, I've somewhat filled out Mordor's but the other are lacking. If you know a good starting strategy for any faction go have a look at the Faction page and write down a couple notes about your preferred faction. You don't have to write an extensive guide simply a couple pointers for every game stage

-The shadow of Mordor is nearly upon us: ever closer is the page of Mordor to being done,but today it is even closer, over half the units done, all other area have been filled out but it can still use a spellchecker of some sort

-Main Page 3.0: We're currently working on a final main page version but it will take quite some time to complete a it is a long and hard project, requiring a lot of editing and just checking how well everything fits in. I'm currently looking for some inspiration on the faction pictures for the following:Misty Moutains and Imladris .

-RSS Feeds: we have currently two RSS Feeds which are linked directly to both the Moddb page and the modding-union News Board

-Done a bit of reworking on some pages to make it easier to navigate:
     -content page is now shorters and the Help section has been move to a new page
     -the current main page has been edited slightly to help navigation
     -and, of course, I've reworked slightly the Navigational bar to make it more fun

-New template: Quotes which will help us putting quotes in a better format although it is a bit impractical

-Finally, I've updated the OP of this thread since quite a lot has changed and made it into an intro page to the wiki, usable as a Hub to get in contact with various pages of the wiki

Now, just because there is already a bunch of stuff ongoing doesn't mean there is more things planned. We've installed quite a few major things that make a difference and we've also planned new stuff. So hang on tights to your rings of power:
-Badges: We still need badges for the remaining factions, I'll get done with the Dwarven ones and I'll do the rest once the remaining factions are released. This mean that in total the following are planned: Iron Hills, Erebor, Ered Luid, Imladris, Angmar and Misty Mountain

-Bot: "I'm coming out of the sockets, Nothing you can do to stop it" We've got a bot fully installed on the wiki, by fully installed I mean we got an account flagged bot so that the large amount of edits no longer show up in the recent activity. The bot is used for mass edits, so far I've used it to hyperlink every faction word such as "Mordor" on the wiki with the faction page such as Mordor. If you wish to suggest any mass edit you can suggest it here

-currently three faction pages have began too look like something: Mordor (The Necromancer0), Lothlorien (Gandalf7000) and Rohan (TheFinalME). Any other faction is mostly empty with the basics filled in, if you have any favorite faction and you want to write a bit about them, you can simply go to the page and type a couple words, simply visit the faction page and pick your favorite

-As you know we've crossed the 100 page barrier, it doesn't mean much atm but once we hit the 200 page we can get a community app, meaning that users on their phones will be able to keep up to date with the latest stuff and maybe even edit. It'll be lots of fun to it all come together and so far that is the top goal.

-I'd also like to thank Gandalf7000 thousand personally, he has been of great help in the wiki, taking on the charge of the Lothlorien page while also helping me with many trouble I've had in improving the wiki. You're a true god-send mate, keep it up.

Overall we've made it a long way, with the goal of improving the quality of the wiki step, by step. It's all about making sure that the wiki looks professional so that new readers or contributors can easily go on read and edit the page without too much trouble. To do this the basic idea is to create a central hub (the main page) which links to smaller hubs which links to individual pages in an uniform manner and these pages and hubs interlink with it each other so that the user has a varied choice of related pages available. In an case it is a pleasure to see all the edits on going, even though they're mostly anonymous wiki contributors. This Massive news is quite massive itself because I had a lot to said since there were no news during the month. But just before I leave you guys here are a couple stats:
-117 Pages
-508 Files
-2988 Edits

Sincerely,
The Necromancer

Gotyam

• Bilbos Festgast
Your usage of time over sleep
« Antwort #52 am: 2. Mär 2016, 19:05 »
I can see that solving my riddles are not the only thing keeping you awake late at night,
robbing you for hours where you should sleep tight.
It is quite amusing to see all the work you have done,
work you share with fellow fans, whom I am sure to this new site will run.

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #53 am: 2. Mär 2016, 19:55 »
I want to say a word of thanks to the Necromancer and to all the people involved in what turned out to be a very successful and useful project for the Edain Community.

This is pure dedication.
Thank you very much  :)

The_Necromancer0

« Antwort #54 am: 4. Mär 2016, 15:00 »
Thanks everybody for the kind words  (**) It's a real joy to see new people join and even see anonymous contributors fixing small mistakes and adding on to the wiki. I have to admit that it has been a true pleasure to be able to document this amazing mod. I feel like an historian which would have found an old civilization that will revolutionize the way people see the world. It's so much fun, I haven't been this excited in forever.

Gandalf7000

• Heiler von Imladris
  • I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me.
« Antwort #55 am: 4. Mär 2016, 19:27 »
I agree with The_Necromancer0. We are just true fans of Tolkien lore and Edain - Mod and trying to ease people's sight of understanding of this amazing mod.  ;)

radagasti01

• Hobbit
« Antwort #56 am: 25. Mär 2016, 14:47 »
Thank you Necromancer. I'm seeing uptdates of edain wiki everyday. Is really helpful, especially for new edain users.
I want help too, but my english is not so good, so i can't.

The_Necromancer0

« Antwort #57 am: 25. Mär 2016, 16:21 »
That's the beauty of wikia, language isn't a barrier. If you feel really dedicated you can always gather a couple people who speak your native language and start a version of the wiki in that language. But I understand that might seem like a big task. If you prefer you can always add pictures and video, clean up dead links that don't lead to the appropriate page (e.g Black Riders (dead) link to Black Riders) and you can always go through the wiki and link words with appropriate pages, whether on this wiki or an external link. Wikia is all about contributing the way YOU want to contribute, whether by writing articles, uploading files or fixing spelling errors.

The_Necromancer0

Edain Wiki Monthly Massive News Post (March Edition)
« Antwort #58 am: 1. Apr 2016, 07:11 »
                       "It's gone, it's done"(well not exactly)
Yes, it's that time of the month again. I hope it brings some excitement to people because it sure does to me when I click that "Post" button. It is always with anticipation that I check my e-mails seeing the news updates on the wiki and seeing it build itself slowly but surely. However, today is even more special, it isn't your average run of the mill update, and I have so much stuff to get through so let’s get started:
-Angmar: of course, with the release RuudDevil's video on Angmar we were excited to start writing about it. We realized however that this would be all from the Beta but decided that it was probable enough that most things would not change or would change very little. With that in mind, we have officially finished the faction page for Angmar, which allows for a quick overview of the Angmar faction in all its glory. We will however abstain ourselves from adding the remaining pages, once the patch is out, since a lot can change between the release and the final version. We decided that we would go on finishing the other factions, which are more "settled"

-Animated Icon: With a couple lines of code in the Wikia.css page, I was able to animate the "Edain Mod Wiki" word art at the top left of every page. Nothing fancy though but I will be experimenting with more stuff to see how it works.

- Sons of Durin Submod: We have added the basic page for the entire submod along with two personalized feeds for "Through Fire" news and "Through Blood" news. We are very impatient for any news update.

-Web Search Placement: with all the adding stuff, it has been nice to see the wiki rise in the SOE placement. I am proud to say that looking up "Edain wiki" places us second, an honorable achievement considering that the "Edain" are an important part of the Tolkien Universe. "Edain mod wiki" places us first with the German counter-part second and the old main page (2.0) third. Looking up any unit with the edain prefix leads directly to the page and unique units such as "morgul archers" will lead you directly to the appropriate wiki page.

-I've spoiled it in the paragraph above but here we go: Main Page 3.0. This main page is even more user-friendly with almost as many pictures as words. Along with that, there are monthly "featured article", “featured quote” and "featured image". It is most probably the definitive version until I get some advanced wikia code knowledge that will allow more advanced version. Since this is the definitive edition, I’ve changed the name of the page to “Edain Mod Wiki” to allow its search to be easier. This also means that I have changed the links on the OP but I haven't made any other changes to it.

-*puts on party hat* It has been done!!!! [uglybunti] Both the Mordor page and the Lothlorien page have been completed. With every units, hero, spellbook and upgrade inputted. Of course, this doesn't mean the pages are definitive editions; everybody is welcome to go and check them for mistakes or for any strategical improvements but most of the factual stuff is there.

-New Wikian: Welcome to OakenShield224. He is often seen going around articles and greatly improving the quality of the grammar and word choice. He is key to making the articles more pleasant to the eye. I'll probably end up having him proofread the news posts  :D I'd also like to thank Gandalf7000 as usual for the massive work he has done on the Lothlorien page, without him it'd be another faction to work through. Along with that, he has been vital in editing non-mod articles such as the main page and various category pages.

-speaking of pages (not really but I needed a transition  :P) there is no an official guideline for naming new pages to avoid multiple version of the same page popping up. Check it out here. Of course, you can still debate if you believe that there is a better way and we will be glad to listen to what you say, we always strive to improve and the first step to that is knowing when someone else's idea is better than yours. Along with that, we’ve also discussed several other Editing Best Practices which you can check out here to talk about.

-RSS Feed and Main Page Slider: both have received an overhaul and are up to date with the recent influx of Angmar news

-Faction Pages have received a small aesthetic overhaul giving the heading that beautiful Ringbearer Font and the infobox for each faction have gotten a specific color which suits them best.

-"The dwarves are upon you (again)" A complete set of badges for each Dwarven Realm has been enabled for our Dwarf-loving contributors.

-We have successfully completed every faction page to a satisfactory level to which I am able to give you a approximate number on the total number of pages once the wiki is complete: 350. Now this number does not include: Imladris and Misty Mountain both very diverse faction that should add another 100 pages if not more. In addition, this does include pages that link to the same unit but under different names and non-mod pages meaning templates, policy pages or user language level pages. Along with that it is key to not that this does not include any of the Fan-Made content to come which could become even more numerous than the actual mod pages.

-more plugin for the chat, keep a lookout for it. I will be on it from time to time but it is quite impractical so you can always contact me, or any of the other contributors, on talk pages.

-as always minor tweaks to the wiki-navigation bar to include more stuff (what else did you expect?) I have reclassified the ring-heroes and tweaked the faction bars so that they can accommodate all the faction to come, even the 2 mystery factions.

This paragraph wasn't initially like that, I had something nicely planned which I had written over a couple of days. Nevertheless, you know what they say, "Life is full of surprises" so I was just scrolling through the unread posts tinkering about what I could do to improve the post when I saw the RuudDevil video and my world just turned upside down. The Wikia’s next 3 days were spent entirely on getting the Angmar page ready based off the beta; get it primed, and ready for the Massive news post. For people who don't know or just haven't thought about it yet I don't usually freestyle those posts which means that in addition to getting the Angmar page ready I also got the news post revamped and reworked. Just when you think you have your life under control something just has to upset it. 8-| As for the Hobbits we will abstain from adding them until proven that they're here to stay.
:D Nothing much more to say, I will just leave you with a couple stats (which, btw, were much lower the day right before the Angmar video release :P):
-142 Pages
-595 Files
-3,844 Edits

Sincerely,
The Necromancer

Gandalf7000

• Heiler von Imladris
  • I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me.
« Antwort #59 am: 23. Apr 2016, 11:55 »
Wiki has reached 200 PAGES!! It's so heartwarming to see how the community is growing : more edits, content and wikians. We are great. Continue the good work and remember "You are not alone!"