29. Mär 2024, 07:15 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Edain Mod Wiki General Feedback and News Thread  (Gelesen 73626 mal)

Gandalf7000

• Heiler von Imladris
  • I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me.
Re: Edain Mod WIKIA
« Antwort #60 am: 1. Mai 2016, 09:08 »
"Someone else always has to carry on the story."

Hello everybody who is looking forward to the posts. The Edain Wiki News is back with new and interesting stuff happening this month. As you may have noticed this time I have been entrusted to write the April News post. That's why I chose such a  quote from J.R.R. Tolkien as the title. The reasons for that I'll explain later. I'm a bit nervous right now because this is my first time writing such a long post. I hope you'll understand if I make some mistakes in the text. So let's start:

- First of all I (Gandalf7000) have been promoted to Admin as The_Necromancer0 is temporarily absent from the wiki (studies, exams, you know). He has asked me to write the April news and keep an eye on wiki while he's not there.

-PATCH OUT!! Patch 4.3 with new Angmar faction has been released this month alongside with a minor update 4.3.1. Because of this, Angmar related pages have been massively edited: added spellbook, buildings and heroes (linked). But of course there is still much work to do, so everyone is welcome to visit wiki and edit.

-We have crossed 200 pages which means that we are on the way to achieve new horizons (xD). We will soon be able to request a spotlight which means that many other people will learn about Edain wiki.

-We have new Easteregg riddles added by Gotyam , The_Necromancer0 and seanpower2. You're welcome to visit the page and try to solve them!

-"The kingdom of Angmar shall rise again!" We have new Angmar badges created for our fellow Chilling Winter lovers.

- We have 4 NEW WIKIANS (Yay!) : MrZxs, Julio229, Tasshelhoff and FG15-ISH7EG. MrZxs has edited many dwarven hero, Gondor and Arnor related pages. Julio229 has edited Gondor unit pages and fixed other minor stuff. Tasshelhoff has created many Gondor and Isengard pages in very short time and fixed some minor stuff. FG15-ISH7EG has edited Path of the Edain map.Keep it up!

-As I mentioned above we have new mission map added: "The Path of the Edain". For now there is only the description of the map taken directly from Moddb but everyone is welcome to visit that page and post their strategies or tips how to complete the map successfully.

-RSS Feed and Main Page Slider: both are up to date with the release of every news of Edain team. The content in them is, as usual, linked directly to either Moddb or Modding-Union.

-The Navigation bar also received an update: now Angmar is listed as 'Released faction' and a couple minor details added.

-We have created a new important category: 'Pages requiring an update'. With the release of great patches all wiki pages will be marked with this category, which should be removed once the hero/unit/feature is tested in the new version and changes applied to the appropriate pages.

-New templates created: Navbox and Spellbook. Navbox is a navigation box appearing at the bottom of every unit/hero/faction page. In each are listed other pages to check out, like links to specific categories, faction ring heroes, and faction pages. For each faction the navbox has different font color to match that factions' infobox color. This idea was suggested by user (Semi-Admin now) OakenShield224 and realized by The_Necromancer0Spellbook is a template that when filled out will look pretty close to spellbook from the game with the pictures, descriptions and power points required. For now 3 factions (Lothlorien, Mordor and Gondor) have the spellbook template fully filled out. The Spellbook is a WIP and The_Necromancer0 will keep on trying to improve it.

-With the growing number of pages there have been many minor improvements, such as, links to other unit/hero/category pages.

-Concerning staff members: each staff member has received different color on their usernames (depending on state) and Tags next to their names in comments throughout all Edain wiki to differ from other users and to help guide new users to the correct person if they need any help.

-A bit about the Poll. On march 31 The_Necromancer0 created a poll on the Main Page about who is the favorite faction of yours. Here are the results:
Mordor - 5 people voted
Gondor - 4 people voted
Isengard - 1 person voted
Rohan - 4 people voted
Iron Hills - 1 person voted
Erebor - 0 people voted
Ered Luin - 1 person voted
Lothlorien - 0 people voted
Arnor - 3 people voted
Imladris - 2 people voted
Misty Mountain - 0 people voted

I would like to thank all who are involved in creation and construction of the wiki, especially our Lord The_Necromancer0 (power mongering Dark Lord :D), who has improved wiki performance and design. Also great thanks to OakenShield224 for being with us all this time and just for that he's one great member of our community.

So overall this month has been full of surprises (at least for me) and joy. The only thing I'm sad about is that Hobbit faction didn't make it into the mod as it was a very cruel April Fools joke from Edain team :P. But who knows, maybe it will appear as some kind of easteregg in the future!! The thing that surprised me this month was when I saw RuudDevil's video about Lich King easteregg as I had been trying to solve that riddle for weeks. But back to wiki: our plans for future involve filling out remaining factions and improving the design and performance of wiki and various tools to make it easier for everybody to participate.

And as always stats:
   -229 pages
   -723 files
   -5,539 edits

Sincerely,
Gandalf7000

Fredius

• Edain Betatesting
  • Galadhrim
  • It's good to be evil
« Antwort #61 am: 1. Mai 2016, 12:05 »
Nice work guys, thanks for your great contribution xD!

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #62 am: 1. Mai 2016, 14:31 »
The same as Fredius wrote. Good luck with your precious plans and many congratulations  ;)

The_Necromancer0

• Beschützer des verbotenen Weihers
  • There is evil there that does not sleep
« Antwort #63 am: 1. Mai 2016, 17:11 »
We're glad you like it  xD The project has really grown during the past four months and we have transcribed a lot more than I expected. We're always looking for feedback or suggestions, suggestions is what gave us the ideas behind doing a Edain Mission page and the Navigation boxes for each faction. I wasn't able to do the news post this month because of the upcoming exams but I've taken a quick break to write this just to say that's it's been a real pleasure seeing the wiki grow not only from dedicated Wikians adding pages  but also from anonymous contributors adding bits and bobs and fixing errors. So, from my part, thank you all  :)

Sincerely,
The (hoping he passes his exams) Necromancer
Come chat Edain on Discord: https://discord.gg/CMhkeb8
Questions on the Mod? Visit the Official Wiki: http://edain.wikia.com/

The_Necromancer0

Edain Wiki Monthly Massive News Post (May Edition)
« Antwort #64 am: 1. Jun 2016, 02:38 »
"And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide."
"One stage of your journey is over, another begins." I don't usually do this but the quote fit so perfectly I just had to. I have finished my exams which means that we will be resuming the monthly activity that is the Wiki news post and that the wiki will be more active than ever. I've got a lot of plans for this month and the following and if all goes well we should have a patched up and fully primed wiki for the next faction release. This news post is a bit smaller than usual but the next one should be much bigger considering all the plans we've got.
-Arnor: The glory of Arnor has been restored. The page has been finished and we've added all of the hero, units, buildings and spells but there is definitely space for strategy for each.

-Policies: To keep up with the ever expanding wiki we have set up a series of policies to keep the wiki as uniform as possible and pleasant to the eye. There is a wide variety of them to serve different purpose and more will be added as the need for them comes. We do not wish to restrict our contributors, simply to direct them in the right way.

-New Wikians: Many new people to welcome and many new contributors. I've been told that some of them even found it by accident  :D. We welcome to our ranks: Ggeorgelys, Madting123 and Palpou

-Battle at the Ford of Isen: With the recent releases by Fredius of the Invasion of Rohan arc the War of the Ring Mission Map has been updated. Be warned, the page includes everything, including spoilers so only look if you are ready for it.

-German Links: we have strengthened our links with the German Edain Wiki with the use of links at the bottom of the page which redirect to the german version of the page such as Aragorn, Gandalf and Sauron.

-Mae Govannen: With the announcement of Rivendell we have updated the page and are impatiently awaiting the remainder of the faction and are eager to write on the concept of Rivendell.

-"We've expanded the Cave!!": In an attempt to reduce the amount of dead links we've also began working on the links related to the Misty Mountain although most pages are quite empty.

-A couple of months ago I was dared by hoho96 :P to write an article on the Edain Community Content Group. At the time it was quite a challenging task for me since I was fully focused on the Wiki and school. In addition I regarded Moddb as some sort of mystical place with incomprehensible rules of logic. But time has passed, the wiki has slowed down a bit and I'm in my summer holidays and so I decided that this was a good time to take up this challenged. And with my best skills and with the clearest word choice I created this article to attempt to summarize the wiki in the smallest amount of words and in a clear structure. I don't know what to do with it after since there is no possibility like here to keep the post updated, apart from editing it. At some point I look forward to spreading the wiki's reach over Moddb but in which manner, I knot not yet.

- As usual, the Wikia Navigation has been tweaked but this time in addition the Main Page has also been tweaked.

This month the wiki grew at a faster rate than usual, even though I was absent we gained many more pages and many more details. Along with that we've also been working on polishing the existing pages to patch them up to the constantly changing mod and make them nicer to the eye as well as cutting down any unnecessary code. As for the quote and the change of avatar, some may have guessed that I'm done with my exams  [uglybunti] so I'll be back to my usual editing sprees. It's great to be back on the wiki and to see more and more stuff being added. We've already completed 3 of the current 9 faction pages and we're looking towards finishing a couple more for next month
As usual, stats:
- 251 Pages
- 6,433 Edits
- 811 Files

Darkayah

• The old blood will unite them, but destroy all
« Antwort #65 am: 18. Jun 2016, 23:14 »
i can't find Angmar in your 'favourite faction'-poll. :-/
« Letzte Änderung: 19. Jun 2016, 00:59 von Beautiful Darkness »
Grüße Darkayah

Of old blood, magic, fire and darkness!
The old blood will unite them all, but causes the  world to be destroyed!
-Prophecy of Valarya

Lust auf eine alternative Mittelerde Geschichte und dazu ein RPG? ?
Der Thron von Mittelerde

The_Necromancer0

« Antwort #66 am: 18. Jun 2016, 23:16 »
Yeah, about that. Angmar's the blank spot. I made some sort of mistake and it doesn't show up, the problem is that if I change it it'll reset the poll. I'm trying to fix it but I can't seem to find a way without resetting the poll.

Darkayah

• The old blood will unite them, but destroy all
« Antwort #67 am: 18. Jun 2016, 23:25 »
allright. :-)
Grüße Darkayah

Of old blood, magic, fire and darkness!
The old blood will unite them all, but causes the  world to be destroyed!
-Prophecy of Valarya

Lust auf eine alternative Mittelerde Geschichte und dazu ein RPG? ?
Der Thron von Mittelerde

The_Necromancer0

Edain Wiki Monthly Massive News Post (June Edition)
« Antwort #68 am: 1. Jul 2016, 03:36 »
            It's gone, it's done(again, not exactly)

I have many great news today for everybody. Very exciting which is why I'll cut straight to the fun bit:

-Finished Factions: Every single faction has been filled out! The number of wanted pages has fallen from ~150 to barely 14 while the number of pages has skyrocketed from 251 to 320. This means that the wiki is mostly functional although it can still be improved, this can be seen as a first draft. To think that after 6 month of work we've merely reached a first draft is quite funny  :D. We're looking forward to the releases of Imladris and the Misty Mountain to finally finish the entire wiki. There are also a couple missing pages floating here and there to fill out but the wiki is 90-95% functioning at the moment, it'd say.

-New User: Welcome to Trondheim9, he takes care of the grammar and sentence flow on the pages making them nicer to read. Keep up the great work.

-Along with that we have brought three new templates to simplify adding upgrades and abilities to the wikia, all described here and here but summarized below:
  • Upgrades Template: This allows to add a pre-created set of upgrades all linked here, it's important to use the precise wording but appart from that it makes creating and standardizing pages
  • No Upgrades Template: With the standardization of hero and unit pages it became a need to have a template that displayed a lack of upgrades (for heroes) and that's exactly what this does. All you have to do is fill out what the article is about (unit/hero/monster/siege unit) and the template will do the rest
  • No Abilities Template: Of course because of the aforementioned standardization it was also necessary that for a no abilities template be created for units such as the battering rams

-I'm extremely proud to announce that the wiki has not only hit the top 5000 wikis, which is already quite a sizeable achievement considering there must be tens of thousands of wikis but in addition we've hit a peak of Rank 720 during the moments of peak editing. This means that we gain a higher priority in terms of support from the Wikia staff, features such as the recent Community Page will be implemented on the wiki.

-the Main Page has also been edited with a set of animated categories for the heroes, a following set will follow for the units.

-during this month, the wiki was also the home of the project of the "Companions of Edain Census". A fun project, along with that the wiki also has a map of middle earth for anybody who wishes to pinpoint their favorite location

This news post is definitely more special than other, while it is one of the smallest post each point is packed with a lot of implications. One could say, if one was in a allegorical mood, that this is the bow being pulled back before the arrows is launched, or the calm before the storm. Hopefully, this coming month, we will completely finish the wiki for the released factions and after that we will keep going as more factions are released until there is nothing left and then... who knows.   With that I leave you with some stats (including a new one):
-Pages: 323
-Files: 1,108
-Edits: 7,963
-Current WAM Rank: 776

The_Necromancer0

« Antwort #69 am: 1. Aug 2016, 01:42 »
"Come, the Wiki is waking up. It isn't safe."

It's a special news this time, very little has happened since last time, with the completion of the pages most of the work is done, now it's mostly a matter of improving current pages. Apart from that we added a great deal of info on Imladris with the release of the showcase videos. I thought this would be a good opportunity to reflect on what has been accomplished. With the stats being posted every month I thought it might be interesting to see how well the wiki was doing and so I've compiled them into various graphs which can all be seen below. I think it's also interesting to see what each pike means.

Of course, after a slow month we have a finally starting getting to work again. With the (extremely) recent release of 4.4 we have begun transcribing the faction from the game into the wiki, bit by bit, unit by unit. With the uniqueness of Imladris and of its upgrade system there is a high possibility that a new, revised, system will appear to give it justice. And, unless the Team has a trick up their sleeves, the Misty Moutains should be next. Now that will be quite a challenge to incorporate due to it's building system, but one thing at the time first Imladris then we'll see what comes next.

Not everybody likes adding info to pages but that doesn't mean they don't have anything to do on the wiki. If you want you can also:
-Share your own CAH
-Vote for the next featured Quote, Article and Image
-Vote for your favorite faction

Speaking of this month's featured stuff. We've done something we hadn't done yet: we kept the Imladris article. It seemed logical considering its current importance. Appart from that the featured image now honors the greed of the dwarves and the featured quote shows the pride of Denethor

We've also started looking to communicating with the other Middle-Earth wikis which included helping each other. Each wiki participating now has a footer on their main page which links to the other, this will allow user to move over more the wikis more easily, new users discovering new wiki such as the Battle for Middle-Earth Wiki or the Middle Earth Role playing wiki.

Next month will probably be quite different, I'd expect a bit of a "heavier" news if I were you. This is more unique of a news, less structure but more other stuff. However, it wouldn't feel fair to leave without giving you your monthly stats so here we go:
-Pages: 327
-Files: 1,148
-Edits: 8,460
-Current WAM Rank: 1000

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #70 am: 1. Aug 2016, 01:56 »
A very detailed and professional report! Thank you very much for your constant impressive efforts, Edain WIKIA Team. It was also a very wise idea to cooperate with other LOTR/BFME-related WIKIA pages.

May your unfaltering and passionate activity succeed even more  ;)

Fredius

• Edain Betatesting
  • Galadhrim
  • It's good to be evil
« Antwort #71 am: 1. Aug 2016, 08:47 »
Yep, I fully agree with Walk. Well done Necro!

Ealendril der Dunkle

• Gast
« Antwort #72 am: 1. Aug 2016, 12:33 »
Thumbs up!

The_Necromancer0

Edain Wiki Monthly Massive News Post (August Edition)
« Antwort #73 am: 1. Sep 2016, 00:12 »
"I summon you to fulfill your oath."
Hello, Companions of Edain. A month ago I mentioned that you should expect news a bit "heavier", well... I've come to deliver. Over the past month we have been working at quite an insane rate, adding in the most recent faction and beginning to finish pages completely with strategy and audio quotes. So I hope you've got a piece of Lembas near you, cause you're gonna need some serious reserves to get through this massive news post. It's been a while since I did a proper news post, two month only but it felt much longer so I'm glad to be back. I hope everybody is looking forward to this, cause I sure am, I've got some pretty cool new features we've created to show you.

Before we start I have some important stuff to highlight (or bold in this case). We are currently looking to change the color scheme of the wiki, we like the green and white but it just didn't fit at all with LOTR or the Edain mod. This has lead to a long thread with many opinions and thoughts but we are currently stuck. We've come here to try and see what kind of color scheme people would prefer to see on the wiki, so now you can vote based on which color scheme you'd prefer. There are currently two different set ups based on the background color and a couple other things. There is the blue setup and the red setup, each can be seen as imgur albums at the links and then you can cast your vote on the poll.

Without any more delays, the news:

-Imladris: over the month we've added every unit, hero and completed the faction page of Imladris. This means that the whole of Imladris can now consulted by anyone and anybody whether or not they have the game. We're still having some trouble finding a proper way to transcribe the upgrade system so any suggestions are welcome.

-Imladris (again): a full set of achievement has been created for all the fans of the Last Homely House. However, Elrond is not present, just like Galadriel, Gandalf and Sauron they are secret achievements which can only be discovered through contributions.
-With the Loremasters we had been confronted to a new problem in terms of categories, in the end we created a new category: Elite. This concerns units with unusual abilities that don't fit in any of the previous categories in addition to possibly exceptional stats. The difference between Elite and Heroic is mostly the limitation in number of battalions but also the stats and abilities.

-This is the fun part. Over the month I've been collecting various clips either staged or unintentional of the game, after a while I made the necessary cuts on it and added a frame and this gave us GIFs to serve as the images that link to the categories of both units and heroes. You can all see it on the Main Page, just scroll slightly down and they'll appear.

-Two other issues, both quite similar to each other, also arose relating to the cannon of the movies and fan-art especially in relation to the quotes to use for the Angmar heroes. In the end, long story short, we decided to allow movie images on the pages to better tie in the mod with the movies (more recognizable to people than the books) and in addition we used fan-art for the Angmar heroes along with quotes from the backstories created by the Edain Team as can be seen on the various heroes such as Helegwen, Mornamarth and Zaphragor.

-A couple month ago I predicted the number of pages we would have after release of Misty Mountain. That prediction totalled 350 with the various pages that could come in, so it was a rough estimation. Well, let's just say we're hitting that number one faction early. Yes, with the recent addition of Imladris we have actually passed the 350 pages mark. I'm not exactly sure what went wrong with my calculation but something did, maybe I miscalculated the number of heroes or something but when Misty Mountain comes out we will probably hit the 400 page mark if not more. Of course because we've also decided to use the wiki as an storage space for strategy guides, maps and submods (and maybe more  ;)) it will forever grow as long as there is someone to edit it. So if you want to add your map, submod or strategy guide you can just visit the Fan-Created Content section and follow the instructions.

-Over the month, we've been looking carefully at the audio of the mod. Since we've always seen it as essential to it we decided to add two new sections to each hero and unit page: Trivia and Quotes. Quotes are a set of audio files linked and fitted into a table, any viewer can listen to the quote or read them. In addition to avoid the pages drawing out too much, the viewers can see all the quotes by simply clicking the See More Button to expand each table. This is a recent and very time consuming initiative and therefore only a few pages are outfitted with it such as Gothmog, Gulzar and the Mouth of Sauron to name a few. The Trivia section so far only serves so that viewer can learn the origin of the quotes for certain characters. However, it's purpose is much wider, it's meant to encompass anything unusual or special about the unit or hero, so if you know anything interesting about a hero or unit make sure to pass by it's page to add it to the Trivia section.

-After the introduction of the patch-fix 4.4.1 and the introduction of the Elven Lord CAH we updated our page with it along with many different tweaks that were also included. You can see the Elven CAH in all its glory on the CAH page. He's also the focus of our featured image this month.

-I just realized it's been a while but.... the navigation bar has been tweaked. With the help of a plugin the dwarven ring heroes retained their place even though their number multiplied by three :D. This plugin allows me to add a fourth sub-menu.

-Wiki Banners: If you wish you can go there and grab or request a banner. This banner will use the basic theme but you can customize the item at the center as you wish. You can also using the code provided at the bottom of the thread to link the image back to the wiki, if you wish.

-This month also saw the promotion of the 3 of our members who have all be promoted due to their dedication and hard work as follows:
-Oakenshield224 has been promoted to Administrator and now has access to a wide range of tools and abilities to help the wiki strive.
-Trondheim9 has been promoted to Semi-Admin which gives him access to many tools to edit the articles and if needed protect them against attacks
-Julio229 has been promoted to Semi-Admin, he also has gained the same tools to help the wiki grow and make his work easier.

-Finally, in addition to cooperating with other LOTR wikis we had submitted a request to be added to the official Wikia Strategy Games banner which ended successfully, this means that a link to the wiki can now be found on the bottom of more than twenty wikis.

This news post was really news heavy, both in the amount of news and the weight of each news. This really emphasizes how much progress we've made, not always big progress but most often difficult progress (such as adding the quotes). We've also began using the forum lot more, suggesting new features and discussing many of the current features.  As always, stats:
-Pages: 351
-Files: 1,251
-Edits: 9,588
-Current WAM Rank: 746
« Letzte Änderung: 1. Sep 2016, 07:15 von The_Necromancer0 »

Fredius

• Edain Betatesting
  • Galadhrim
  • It's good to be evil
« Antwort #74 am: 1. Sep 2016, 00:22 »
Man you, and everyone who works on this, are just purely geniuses! Well done, it looks so awesome!

Those gifs though, just beautifull :o.