20. Apr 2024, 01:27 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Edain Mod Wiki General Feedback and News Thread  (Gelesen 74438 mal)

Ealendril der Dunkle

• Gast
Re: Edain Mod Wiki
« Antwort #90 am: 19. Okt 2016, 16:58 »
Well, it's a really great project, so we want to promote it. ;)

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
Re: Edain Mod Wiki General Feedback and News Thread
« Antwort #91 am: 20. Okt 2016, 16:02 »
It's really great to see that the Wiki forum has finally been moved to a much more welcoming and reliable place  ;)

Good luck with the work awaiting you (and us all). In case any kind of support were needed, I'm always available to give a helping hand.

Gandalf7000

• Heiler von Imladris
  • I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me.
« Antwort #92 am: 20. Okt 2016, 17:10 »
It's really great to see that the Wiki forum has finally been moved to a much more welcoming and reliable place  ;)

Good luck with the work awaiting you (and us all). In case any kind of support were needed, I'm always available to give a helping hand.
Thank you very much Walk! ;)

The_Necromancer0

• Beschützer des verbotenen Weihers
  • There is evil there that does not sleep
Edain Wiki Monthly Massive News Post (October Edition)
« Antwort #93 am: 31. Okt 2016, 23:48 »
"The Age of the Wikia Forums is over. The Time of the MU Forums has come."

Welcome to the new Wiki Forums! It is my great pleasure and honor to welcome you all to the MU based forums about the wiki. This will allow all user with an account on the MU to discuss, debate and talk about the wiki. You can create new threads to suggest new things, discuss current features, ask questions or just give your thoughts on the wiki. This final move should usher an era of peaceful editing for the wiki as we are now deeply rooted everywhere. It has been a while since I wrote a simple news thread, talking about the steady progress of the wiki rather than some huge change, it's nice to get back into a routine, here's what we've got for you this month:

-Forum Change: This month we moved from the Wiki Forums to the MU Forums, following a decision by Wikia (the company that hosts all the wikis) to eventually replace its forums with their own form of Twitter. It just wasn't a feature we were ready to accept as it would heavily limit the amount of debate and discussion we could have, creating a severe loss in time. So we approached the Edain Team with our request, which they were generous enough to grant. The Wiki now has a section in the English Edain section where users can come and talk about any aspect of the wiki, whether they want to change an existing feature, suggest a new or even simply ask a question or discuss. Just make sure that everything stays within the rule set by the MU administrators.

-Game Mechanics: The Wiki already delves pretty deep into the mod, bringing user information on all their favorite factions, fun trivia and more. But for some users this is, for a lot, information they already know. So to bring to those users more information we started looking into the nitty gritty part of mod, which is summarized (what we know for now) on this page. It also provides some information of the games that aren't covered on faction, unit or hero pages. Because of the type of information we're trying to find it'll take longer to fill out the page since the info needs to be taken from the game files itself, but you can already have a look at what we have. So far the game mechanics includes:
-The Palantir of Command: This gives a short overview of the palantir. A small guide on what each number means.
-Armor Set: This is an ongoing project to list all Armor Sets contained in Edain so that user can refer to them to understand how units take damage.
-Damage Types: The Armor Set section is complemented by the Damage Types section which explain what deals the different damage listed in the Armor Sets
-Unit Types: Those just list all the unit types and their relations with others units
-Game Modes: This just lists the game modes and some explanation as to what they do.

-We now just resume to improving the pages after having added Imladris, it still takes a lot of time to look through every page so if anybody wants to help you can just use this link which will bring you to a different page every time you click on it and just have a look, then simply comment at the bottom any suggestion you have for the page.  This would really help us catch the minor mistakes or even add new ideas you guys might have.

-We have begun to expand the Youtube section, we plan on making a page for each Youtube channel so that users can learn about those who make Edain Mod content, in addition they will provided useful links to different playlists grouping up the videos in theme. This will organise channels and relate them to particular features in the mod. The Youtube section is located on the Fan-Created Content page.

-the top navigation bar has been heavily tweaked, the ring heroes are now listed in under their factions in the Faction Tab and the tab Content has been split up into Content and Game Mechanics.

This is a short and sweet news and the first one I did in the official Wiki Forums. A lot has happened since I first pressed that Create a Wiki button and let me just say I regret none of it. As usual, finishing with stats:
-Pages: 344
-Files: 1,374
-Edits: 12,068
-Current WAM Rank: 735
Come chat Edain on Discord: https://discord.gg/CMhkeb8
Questions on the Mod? Visit the Official Wiki: http://edain.wikia.com/

Ealendril der Dunkle

• Gast
« Antwort #94 am: 1. Nov 2016, 10:58 »
All I can say is congratz! You are doing a really great job here.

The_Necromancer0

« Antwort #95 am: 2. Nov 2016, 12:35 »
All I can say is congratz! You are doing a really great job here.
We're all very happy you're enjoying the project  xD

The_Necromancer0

Edain Wiki Monthly Massive News Post (November Edition)
« Antwort #96 am: 1. Dez 2016, 01:10 »
"There are five of us."

I'm actually running out of intro phrases to make and we're only 11 mon.. wait, we're 11 month in? Damn, time does go fast when you're having fun. Well, in all cases I might have to resort to just starting straight off with the news if this keeps going  xD . I wonder what'll I do for the 1 year anniversary, if you have any ideas do PM them to me, I'll gladly look into it. But in all cases, let the news begin:

-Buildings: The idea of keeping buildings all on the same page was one of the concept that came into existence during the first few months of the wiki, it was decided so because at that time we feared that splitting off everything would result in too many stubs (pages with very little information), this would have lead to a fragmentation of the information and an overall negative user experience. However, over time all things change and so did this concept. Starting this month all buildings will be getting their own pages including any upgrades, function, level up system and a set of images that will display their in game appearance at each level. This is an ongoing project but should be done within the next 2 month if not less.

-WAM: I'm not sure I ever explained that one, I often end up dropping stuff in the news and then forget to explain it. The WAM (Wikia Activity Monitor) is a complex algorithm on all wikis which calculates how "active" they are. To avoid wiki exploiting the system it was never completely revealed how each thing is weighed but we know that it is "is a combination of traffic, engagement and growth". It's a nice little ranking chart to see how you compare to other wikis, at the moment the top wiki is the spanish Pokemon Wiki, and if you have a look at it edits happen approximately every 10-20 min, so we still have a long way to go  :D

-Categories: We are in the process of revamping the way pages are categorized, this is because the category system was initially created all the way at eh beginning, this system has never evolved unlike the rest of the wiki so it's really an archaic concept which is now being updated. You can go contribute over here.

-Favicon: We've got a new favicon, it's still the good old One Ring but it got a bit of a resolution upgrade. Nothing too fancy, but it's now more defined so that users can enjoy more of the details.

So as you can see, nothing too big this month. But I did want to take a additional second of your time for something else. The Wiki at its core is a community edited database, however over time certain user rise by their dedication and commitment to the Wiki, pouring endless hours into its construction. The users in question are given additional abilities to aid them in this task and form the Wiki Team, and I thought it would be important to present them to you all today so that you know who to go to if you have any issues,so... presenting the wiki's very own Team (by order of seniority):
Necro (The_Necromancer0): Wiki Admin
"Eldest, that's what I am...Necro remembers the first edit and the first page."
Big Mordor Fan, I am the first Edain Wiki user. I moderate the wiki along with the rest of the Wiki Team and contribute daily to it. If I was to pick my favorite task it would probably be either creating new template to streamline the page creation process or adding pictures from the mod to the building and unit pages. But that doesn't mean I restrict myself to only that, I love editing any part of the wiki and learning new things, in short I collect knowledge from the many different platforms the mod is discussed on (MU, Moddb, Discord...) and gather it in one place.

Gandy (Gandalf7000): Wiki Admin
"Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
The creator of all the Lothlorien pages, he brought up the entire faction on his own. Second Eldest he is and from a distant land in the north. He is like one of the Professor's wizards, always willing to give a helping hand to those in need but preferring to intervene only when necessary. On average his edit type is well rounded, with a bit of everything but with a slight preference to keeping the wiki clean of any unused files.

Oakenshield (Oakenshield224): Wiki Admin
Thorin: "I would take each and every one of these dwarves over an army from the Iron Hills. For when I called, they answered. Loyalty...Honour... A willing heart...I can ask for no more than that."
Our friend from under the mountain, he delves into the lore of each unit, bringing us relevant quotes for each units and fun trivia. He also implements pictures from the movies on each pages, like this users can relate units from the mod directly to the movies. Of course that doesn't ever stop him from helping out on other tasks but if you ever need a quote for anything about anything he's probably the contributor for the task.

Julio (Julio229): Wiki-Semi Admin:
"Short cuts make long delays"
Julio's area of expertise is interwiki links, he scours through pages everyday finding keywords and linking the appropriate page. If you've ever ended up 2 hours later on the Orc Laborer page after deciding you wanted to check what was the price of a Gondor Soldier then it's probably his fault  xD In all seriousness, he really help user find all the relevant data easily, so it's great having such a member on the team.

Trond (Trondheim9): Wiki Semi-Admin
"Certainty of death, small chance of success...what are we waiting for?"
The latest addition to our team, he's a recent contributor who joined in June but he makes up to it with a willing heart and countless edit (currently 1,700 under his belt). Like Oakenshield he also delves deep within the lore of units and heroes alike with quotes and trivia. At the moment he particularly likes adding the new building pages. In addition he has created most of the variations of the upgrades images giving diversity to the wiki.

We're entering christmas time, but at the moment we're still very busy with adding stuff from the wiki and therefore I doubt we'll do much but in future expect some grandiose stuff, what stuff you may ask? I don't know but just expect it.
« Letzte Änderung: 6. Dez 2016, 20:07 von The_Necromancer0 »

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #97 am: 1. Dez 2016, 07:18 »
Where should I start? That Christmas garland at the top is a very heart-warming decoration of very pleasing news. Beside thanking the remarkable work (always full of vitality) of the Edain Wiki Team, I would like to express again my joy for the moving of the Wiki forum to Modding Union, so that we can now celebrate together these holidays and the whole international Community keeps on widening its horizons  ;)

Zitat
Take some rest. These borders are well protected.

And could I ever do without my official and evergreen well-wishing sign?  8-)

The_Necromancer0

« Antwort #98 am: 2. Dez 2016, 01:15 »
Indeed, I've also changed the image that appears at the top left of ever wiki page to reflect that Christmas spirit.

But no rest for us, there is only one way to go and that's forward, we'll rest when we're done!  xD

EDIT: Because the image is linked through the wiki it has changed when I changed it on the wiki.
« Letzte Änderung: 2. Jan 2017, 23:56 von The_Necromancer0 »

OakenShield224

• Elbischer Pilger
  • Welcome, my sister-sons, to the Kingdom of Erebor!
« Antwort #99 am: 31. Dez 2016, 22:22 »
Can you promise that I will come back?"
Hello everyone, as you’ve probably noticed, this Monthly News  isn’t being written by Middle Earth's Dark Lord. Instead he is busy raiding some Gondorian villages and has decided to give me the task of writing the article. I will admit, I was simultaneously surprised and terrified when I was asked to do this. But I’ve tried to do my best with this to avoid a Nazgul attack so here we go:

-   Firstly, we’ve made a massive amount of progress with the buildings. We’ve completed the building pages for nearly all factions and are now just finishing with the last few. All that is needed for them now is the strategy which anyone can help with. The final concept of the building pages include an image for each level, a complete infobox with the stats and a complete section on all the functions of each building.

-   The recategorization of units and heroes has been continued, making the connections between pages a lot more organised. Most of the changes have been quite small, although big ones include changing Grond from unit to hero and the changing of the dwarven categories. 

-    The Necromancer0 has been messing around with the sound sets for units and heroes. Before, each page had a table of quotes for that unit at the bottom. However, all sound sets are being moved to one page with a new system. This is still a work in progress, but it is progressing well and should make it easier for any user to find the quotes for their favourite units once it is done.

-   We’ve expanded the Youtuber pages. This includes a live subscriber count that automatically updates. More to come later, it is a still a rather recent project so suggestions are welcome.

-   Trondheim9 has been changing the images for the units upgrades (forged blades, heavy armour etc.). Before they all had a generic symbols, but now there are unique upgrade symbols for good and evil factions, as well as some that are unique to each faction.

When I was debating whether to accept Necro's offer to make this article, I remembered what it was like when I first started editing the Wiki in February. Back then I didn’t even have an account and was just adding appropriate quotes to pages. It took about another month before I decided to create an account and started editing the Wiki in a more substantial way. Back then, the Wiki consisted of Mordor and Lorien with a few hero and unit pages on the side. The team was mainly The_Necromancer0 and Gandalf7000. It amazes me how much it is grown in less than a year and how it continues grow even now.  Next month will be the One Year anniversary so we are all looking forward to that and whatever follows in the future.

All that is left for me to say to everyone is Happy New Year and Good Luck in 2017!

And the stats of course. Can’t forget about those.
Pages – 434
Files – 2015
Edits - 14,457
WAM Rank – 523 (New Record!)

Julio229

• Edain Betatesting
  • Gesandter der Freien Völker
  • King Of the Misty Mountains
« Antwort #100 am: 1. Jan 2017, 04:42 »
It was awesome reading the monthly news, as always! I haven't been able to be a lot on the Wiki this month, but I hope to continue helping to improve it and complete it as the new updates come in 2017!

Happy New Year, everyone!

Gandalf7000

• Heiler von Imladris
  • I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me.
« Antwort #101 am: 2. Jan 2017, 12:40 »
I will admit, I was simultaneously surprised and terrified when I was asked to do this.
Believe me I felt the same when I needed to write the news as my English is not so good as others.

The_Necromancer0

One Year Anniversary
« Antwort #102 am: 6. Jan 2017, 01:54 »
One Year Anniversary

Today the wiki is officially one year old. One year since that “Create a Wiki” button was pressed, one year since the first edit was made and one year since the first page was created. During these one years we have accomplished an enormous amount of work and I thought today would be a nice time to feedback on all that was done. We will be looking at the progress in a couple different ways but the most important part is that at the end there will be a small questionnaire, which we would love if you could fill out. Feedback is key to a wiki and yours would be greatly appreciated. So, without further a due, onwards!

Visual Progress
The Wiki doesn’t only aim to collect all the information concerning the Edain Mod but it also aims to present it in a suitable manner. If that wasn’t the case we could just copy paste the content of the game files and call it a day, but that wouldn’t be much fun for anybody. Therefore, we first draw out the required information and then display it on page that change over time as we think of better designs or add more information. Below are a couple examples of before and after which truly show what the wiki was and what it has become.
Main Page
Of course, we can’t start this without looking at the main page first. It’s the most important page providing a home base for newcomers to then go to wherever they like. It’s the first age we present when advertising the wiki and it also contains mains links to other platforms of the mod. The Main Page has had 3 distinct version which are all linked and listed here:
-Main Page V1.0: This is now the table of content, not much welcome, a lot of text and just in general a terrible and extremely long structure.

-Main Page V2.0: A temporary fix displaying a welcome message and a more visual organization. In addition, it provided the bases for the third edition of the main page. It was a nice page but wasn’t compact enough, providing too little unique information over too much space. It was permanently deleted to avoid clouding the wiki with an unused page but it looked a bit like the current version expect that it was still too long.

-Main Page V3.0: This is the latest (and current) version of the main page. It is one of the best designs, providing compact navigation along with other various other more trivial information which make the wiki feel… alive. I believe this is the version that will most likely stay the longest but it might eventually get overhauled.

It would have been nice if we had the main page 2.0 since it would have provided a nice transition between the first and final edition but a lot has changed on the wiki and restoring the page would just render a mess of deleted pictures, improper formatting and broken templates.

Faction Pages
This one we can’t display, faction pages are just much too long to include in a single screenshot but I will include links to old revision although you won’t be able to see the old color scheme. Overall, the faction pages lost very little and rather always gained more with their content tables evolving from:

Links:
Erebor: Old Revision and Current Page
Ered Luin: Old Revision and Current Page
Lorien: Old Revision and Current Page
Arnor: Old Revision and Current Page

Although I’m sure that couple screenshots from when they were created might provide a couple giggles:

Visual progress isn’t all, while it is the most easily assessed it is also a shallow perspective, nothing beat the statistical progress. The Statistical progress shows the impact that a wiki has been making on its community and is to my eyes one of the most important, for all things are bound to die out without a community.

Statistical Progress
This isn’t the first time that this has been done. We did it 6 months ago at a low activity point to show the progress we had made, but let me show you how much more progress we have done. As usual, I have put all the wiki stats into various graphs and discussed them below.  The graphs are only here to give everybody a better understanding of how the wiki progresses. They are even essential to us since it is sometimes hard to see the big picture when you’re in the middle of the some big edit. Having a big visual graph to help us understand the effect of our contributions.   

Edits

Pages

Files

Both the visual and statistical progress are great ways to look at the entire picture but they lack the a certain time frame, everything is the same and nothing is really explained on how they get there. Which is why the third way we are going to look at this is the chronological order, supported by some images

Chronological Progress
The wiki was created on the 6th of January 2016, a year ago. But it didn’t instantly become what it is now, many things happened along the way that changed the way it looked and changed the way it was displayed. Many events happened and we will attempt to list all those that can be remembered:
  • Creation Wiki including the first few pages and the basic structure
  • The first few faction pages appear in their rough shape
  • The first few Java scripts appear opening new possibilities for the wiki in terms of presentation of the information
  • The Merge Project is discussed (eventually succeeding and merging both the more ancient wiki and this new one)
  • The factions pages are all completed giving birth to the first draft of the wiki
  • Main Page 2.0 released
  • The first “Monthly Massive Wiki News Post” appears, becoming the wiki’s news system
  • The 100 pages mark is reached
  • Mordor and Lorien pages completed
  • Main Page 3.0 released
  • The 200 pages mark is reached
  • Navboxes added to all pages
  • Spellbook overhauled and spellbook template introduced
  • Arnor Page completed
  • The 300 pages mark is reached
  • All faction pages are complete
  • Half a year reflection news post
  • Imladris is completed
  • Wiki Color Theme Overhaul
  • Formation of the Wiki Team
  • The Wiki moves its forum to MU
  • The 400 pages mark is reached
  • All buildings are added pushing the number of wiki pages to 434

At this point most of the post is simply old news, things that have been known for months now. Nothing more than blowing off the dust from old news posts and sandwiching it with some fancy words, but the fun part comes next: the future.

The FUTURE!
So, what’s next? The list goes on, we have many plans for the future and many ideas for plans. Some plans are even in progress as we speak a couple future plans that can be revealed are:
The Audio Quotes Project
A simple project, the goal is to look into the game files and find all the quotes used by the heroes and units and, using a simple script, convert them into clickable audio files which users can listen to on a whim and at any time. A subproject of this task includes finding the origin of all the audio file such as Cirdan’s (Markus Aurelius from “Gladiator” and Dumbledore from “Harry Potter”) or Theodred’s (Maximus from “Gladiator”). A fun project, even more so since recent discoveries have allowed a very efficient system to be installed on the wiki. The previous system was quite heavy on the viewer’s browser resulting in a laggy navigation for even the strongest of computers

The Buildings Project
The Buildings Project is a recent addition which aims to do what we did with units and heroes to the buildings of each faction. They will each get a page with a description, an infobox containing pictures for all their models and function of the building. It's a short little project but definitely adds on to the wiki.

Questionnaire
Feedback from the community is very important to the wiki, the entire concept of the wiki is based on a community slowly building its own database, but that doesn’t exclude some dedicated users giving it a little ‘push’. But I just have a couple questions about different aspects of the wiki and your thoughts on it. The Questionnaire is actually just a poll but the questions are explained in depth below, just makes it easier for everyone. Now because of how the polls are set up your will get a certain number of votes and you just have to spend one on each questions, for the most precision please only spend one vote per questions. The answers are always the same but the questions will differ.
Answers:
A) Visual Aspect (units models, the different units textures, hero models, visual effect of spells and abilities). This includes pretty much everything that can be seen in the mod, if you have any more ideas make sure to post them down below.
B)Audible Aspect (more hero and unit quotes, crowd response quote, spell and abilities sounds, building sounds) This includes pretty much everything that can be heard in the mod, if you have any more ideas make sure to post them down below.
C)Mechanical Aspect (expanding the game mechanics page, finding out all the numbers for the effect of abilities, finding hidden mechanics) This includes the game play itself and the balance of the mod.
D)Other bits (eastereggs, community creations, members of the ET, expanding the functionality of the wiki) Everything that isn't directly related to the mod pretty much. If you have any ideas, especially for this one, make sure to post them.

Questions
Q1. What aspect of the mod would you like the wiki to expand on?
A)Audible Aspect
B)Visual Aspect
C)Mechanical Aspect
D)Other bits

Q2. What aspect of the mod would you like the wiki to improve on?
A)Audible Aspect
B)Visual Aspect
C)Mechanical Aspect
D)Other bits

Q3. What aspect do you prefer on the wiki?
A)Audible Aspect
B)Visual Aspect
C)Mechanical Aspect
D)Other bits

Just head to the top and select one answer for each question. Thanks for your feedback!

With that final thing I bid thee farewell, it has been an interesting 12 month and I can't wait to see what the next 12 bring. We await them with a firm foot and eagerness, one last round of applauses and thanks for all those that have helped me and... curtain.
« Letzte Änderung: 6. Jan 2017, 09:17 von The_Necromancer0 »

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #103 am: 6. Jan 2017, 02:40 »
First of all, happy anniversary for this incredible project. Additional words of compliments would maybe be superfluous, and so, under a more pragmatic perspective, I would really like you to know that the Edain Wiki has helped me a lot while I was working on the recent major concepts; in dealing with precise references to abilities or values. Everything that one needs to know, listed and displayed in details. It's really equal to a true Edain Encyclopaedia  ;)

I'm really interested into the project concerning sound tracks. I'll surely follow its development.

Trondheim9

• Thain des Auenlandes
  • I give hope to men. I keep none for myself.
« Antwort #104 am: 6. Jan 2017, 18:05 »
Necro, being one of the newer Edain Wiki contributors, I found this post very interesting.  It's neat to see how the wiki has grown thanks to your efforts and the team's. 
Cheers