28. Mär 2024, 23:23 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Rohan's defence mechanism  (Gelesen 3807 mal)

Lille Rambo

• Bilbos Festgast
Rohan's defence mechanism
« am: 5. Feb 2016, 14:25 »
If we compare Rohan's defence mechanism to the other factions with walls, they are quite bad. They have no catapult option on the wall, to take out long ranged siege weapons. They don't even have an upgrade for their towers. Dwarves have forged blades, Gondor: Fire arrows, Elves have silver thorn arrows, and I was thinking if it is possible to give Rohan something like an spear upgrade for their towers or fire arrows just to level it out with the other factions defences. Secondly later in the game when the soldiers have upgraded armour the arrow tower just tickles them. And yes we can argue if their defence mechanism is the riders, and you use them to take out the catapults, but that is so obvious and easy to counter, they just spam spears. I'm interested in your thoughts on this subject.

Sawman

• Wanderer des Alten Waldes
Re: Rohan's defence mechanism
« Antwort #1 am: 5. Feb 2016, 18:01 »
I really like your idea to add spear throwers to the arrow towers that would even the playing field I think and see for adding a catapult option for the wall there is a huge problem and that is the Rohan catapult is god awful it is so bad it's not even funny it does nothing and so I feel it would be a waste because no one would ever get it for their defence because the enemy catapults will kill them over and over because of the damage they do

So I think riders are Rohan's only real option for taking out siege effectively

AmosVogel

• Gastwirt zu Bree
« Antwort #2 am: 6. Feb 2016, 22:07 »
Just remember:

Rohan is weak, poor & has no really siege might!

Maybe archers-spearthrowers could enter the defensive towers & make them reach even greater distances to reach siege machines.
"Viva México"

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
  • Arise! Arise, Writers of KryPtik!
« Antwort #3 am: 8. Feb 2016, 22:13 »
Rohan is not weak or poor, they are just not technologically developed upon the siege path, unlike dwarves. Théoden states in RotK "We are a people who fight rather in the open and on horseback". They are not poor or weak by any means, indeed they have the 2nd largest human kingdom in Middle Earth in the Third Age.

That said, something to give them a long range counter would be nice. I think that simplest solution is to give Flag Towers a range buff for archers nearby, this combined with the Rohan Archers ability Give Them A Volley! would allow them to counter siege quite nicely. I also really like the idea to give the wall towers a spear thrower upgrade, similar to Theodreds towers.
Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter! Spear shall be shaken! Shield shall be splintered! A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride, ride to ruin, and the worlds ending! FORTH EORLINGAS!

Dendrotheos

• Bilbos Festgast
  • æsc cyning. Freca Rohanes
« Antwort #4 am: 8. Mär 2016, 12:28 »
A spear throwing addition would be quite a unique upgrade for the Rohan towers. That doesn't sound to bad an idea. Concerning their lack of tower defences, I think it fits Rohan thematically quite well. Rohan acted in the book as a kingdom that very much prefered to fight in a pitched battle but retreated to their castles if severely outnumbered, in order to bide their time to turn the tide with a sally. Rohan is thus not a defencive nation but nevertheless has a defencive side, which I think comes across very well in Edain (an BFME1) with the lack of powerful defencive weapons, but having a large imposing castle as a base.
"Bealocwealm hafað fréone frecan forth onsended. Giedd sculon singan gléomenn sorgiende."

KingdomofErebor

• Thain des Auenlandes
  • Khazad ai Menu!
« Antwort #5 am: 11. Mär 2016, 18:16 »
The one anti seige method I can think of for Rohan is rock throwers, this probably won't work for catapults, however they could be an anti ram mechanism. Instead of being a unit, rock throwers could be an upgrade for build plots by the Rohan gates,we've seen evidenc for this from the two towers films. So as a description the men of rohan hurl large boulders onto attackers below doing heavy damage to rams and enemies near the gate.

this is only an idea with inspiration from the films and the old dwarven oil casks upgrade

what do you think?
The horns of hell are upon us!To Battle sons of Durin!

Sawman

• Wanderer des Alten Waldes
« Antwort #6 am: 12. Mär 2016, 20:05 »
Adding stone throwers like 3.8 fortress would be a good addition to this I think, but this still wouldn't solve the catapult problem

KingdomofErebor

• Thain des Auenlandes
  • Khazad ai Menu!
« Antwort #7 am: 13. Mär 2016, 15:53 »
Yeah as for catapults I'm stumped, Rohan don't possess the complex workings of Gondor or the dwarves, relying on open field tactics. The only suggestion I would make would be enable a fire upgrade for the onagers, or make a new unit that is strong against seige , perhaps some "west fold axemen" that are fast and lightly armoured. maybe give them a charge ability so that they can break lines to get at seige and run out again.

EDIT: Sorry to post again so quickly! I just did a bit of research on siege weapons of the ancient welsh/gauls and even romans, similar in style to Rohan. I noticed a lot of their siege weapons were drawn by horses, would it be possible to have a team of 4-6 horses pulling a sled with a small stone throwing mechanism. This would allow Rohan to move in quickly to attack then retreat to safety.
« Letzte Änderung: 13. Mär 2016, 16:20 von DieWalküre »
The horns of hell are upon us!To Battle sons of Durin!

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #8 am: 13. Mär 2016, 16:22 »
KingdomofErebor, posting multiple and consecutive comments in such short time is not permitted by the forum rules.

You can simply edit your comment, if you want to add something to it  :)