19. Mär 2024, 07:15 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: New Imladris Spellbook  (Gelesen 6258 mal)

AulëTheSmith

• Elronds Berater
Re: New Imladris Spellbook
« Antwort #15 am: 24. Sep 2017, 23:48 »
With this premise:
1- TIME: Not only we are pretty lax when it comes to sustain some correctness in the time-consistency of spells (Last alliance, Bandobras Tuk, Luthien's Song and even Breeze of Manwë and light of Aman (Those only in the Imladris spellbook)), but also, some meetings were made during the War of the Ring.

2- HERO SELECTION: As explained above, "White Council" is just a badly put name, we could call it "Rivendell council". There have been men, dwarves, elves, Istari and even hobbits in a council in Imladris, so, in this "What if" story that is Edain, we could have another council that could result in the aid of other heroes of any faction (Mirkwood, Erebor, Lothlorien...).
Yes, the final one, with the max number of sanctuaries could be some members of the White Council, but that is just another option of the possible ones.

Canis took my mouths off :) i'd like to say the same words about the current spellbook's "out of age" exceptions. Anyway i suppose they are just too many so that there's no place for further exceptions. By the way, i always thought that Noldors and Elves in general have such a long life and memory that those unique ancient power are,even if not time-consistent with respect to the mod, at least more "justifiable" compared to the other races of Middle Earth.

@Garlodur about his message: agree that it's easier to discuss about things that the team just presented, but a certain moderator once said me "nothing goes unnoticed" in this forum. Even if it is a mere speculation :). The virtue of patience is a very great virtue, and a very high degree of patience is not for all i think, me either (in some period i obsessively come here or moddb looking for news  :D :D) :).

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #16 am: 26. Sep 2017, 01:06 »
With this premise:
1- TIME: Not only we are pretty lax when it comes to sustain some correctness in the time-consistency of spells (Last alliance, Bandobras Tuk, Luthien's Song and even Breeze of Manwë and light of Aman (Those only in the Imladris spellbook), but also, some meetings were made during the War of the Ring.

PS: Can we exhort you to give just a hint of information about this new spell? 8-|

There are indeed some exceptions in relation of timeline, even though most of them could be given a proper explanation. For example, Manwë may easily command that his winds, breezes or the very breath of Aman be spread unto the mortal Middle-earth, without the Lord of the Air being physically present. Lúthien's Song might perhaps embody legacy and tradition being passed over to the later generation; those sung lyrics could retain a magical incantation towards fell creatures. By the way, I myself like the idea that the mightiest Elf's spirit may be summoned on the battlefield. Last but not least, the Last Alliance spell defies the rule due to its prominence. A hypothetical White Council spell would be in stark opposition with the War of the Ring period, I guess, and the chief of the council is the leader of another faction, in which he's there with a totally different characterisation (and both factions are supposed to be based on the same years).

As for generic summoning spells, I think they would be quite redundant, if one considers the holistic portrait; I mean, we can already count on the best summoning spell one could hope for: the epitome of the Second Age's deeds, the enormously iconic prologue of the cinematographic adaptation and the opportunity to play with the most powerful heroes of that age (two kings of high descent and the legendary High King of the Noldor). I would thus rather have a spare spell be used for something unique, methinks.

Hints at the new spell? I'm afraid there will be scarcity of them, as circumstances bind me. May you just know that it is to be more interesting than summoning units, alongside dealing with a theme at the heart of the faction :)

Canis carcharothias

• Thain des Auenlandes
« Antwort #17 am: 26. Sep 2017, 10:31 »
Hey Walk!

The anachrony of the Valar power is not stated because they are not Physically in middle earth, it's because they decided that they will no longer intervene in the events occuring in Middle Earth, that's the work of the Istari.

About Lúthien, if she were a "normal elf" I could accept that, but she is a mortal one. She decided to come back to life with the condition that she would leave the world when her short life was over. Having them reincarnating, even as a ghost of a mortal being, which in Tolkien is usually related with evil corruption, is really out of place. (I would not enter in the overuse of magic in Imladris, I promise  xD)

Speaking about councils, I think that it is more plausible that some people meet in Rivendell to speak, like in the Council of Elrond than making the Valar change their mind for blowing some goblins or any of the other anachronisms.

That was the lore discussion, now:

Yes, a generic spell is kind of bland, that's the reason for putting it in a specific mechanic. I know that if the team has come up with another mechanic, that decision is now, mostly, set in stone, and now it's strange to speak about suggestions here. The council will not be in the spellbook but I would love to see the generic healing spell with a little bit more of personality, the sanctuaries being an option.
« Letzte Änderung: 26. Sep 2017, 15:02 von Canis carcharothias »

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #18 am: 26. Sep 2017, 12:45 »
Aye, Lúthien decided to relinquish her immortal life and follow the path of all mortal souls, who have exactly their souls sojourn in the Halls of Mandos for a brief time and then take the mysterious way going past the ether of Arda and even beyond. I know the tale. Being myself an admirer of Lúthien, whom I deem the mightiest of all the Eldar (surpassing other kings and heroes), I have thus said that I would nonetheless rejoice at the implausible case of her spirit reappearing temporarily in the world, despite this being impossible. My personal explanation goes with the aforementioned comment of mine: it might be that those sung lyrics have been entrusted to the later generation as in incantation. As for the Valar, sending winds for the aid of the Elves does not violate their policy, due to them being not present themselves or via an army waving the banners of their holy realm. Particularly, both the Breeze of Manwë spell and Light of Aman (I have personally crafted the latter) were fashioned on a significant event of the books, in which a strong wind from the West blows the remnants of Sauron's soul away, indicating the presence of the Ainur (more symbolic than meaningful, sure, yet present nonetheless). While Manwë tormenting Orcs and Goblins with his breezes could not be very much reasonable, the spell itself had to be viable in battle in some ways, because we're still talking about a game. The subtle intervention of Valinórë is still the central topic. Never have the Kings and Queens of Arda forgotten Arda and its people.

The healing spell has been given more personality, as the community proposed. This I may tell you without spoiling surprises :)