28. Mär 2024, 14:53 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Imladris Weather Spell - Relief from Aman  (Gelesen 12000 mal)

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
Imladris Weather Spell - Relief from Aman
« am: 11. Apr 2016, 20:22 »
Hi all.
I want to present to the whole Community an idea that I have been conceiving and modelling in the depths of my mind for quite some time  :)
This is a proposal that deals with weather-related spells, the iconic spells we love so much, whose basic mechanics go back to the very first BFME1. What convinced me the most to take this step is the fact that every faction, in the general Edain Mod 4.0's architecture, has and will have a characteristic and specific weather-related spell, based on the essence of its own faction and fashioned on its lore.
Specifically, this is how, as I could also collect from my knowledge and from the forum, the general overview looks like.

Gondor: Gondor has the iconic clouds break spell of BFME1, the main and most recognisable weather-related spell from BFME1, along with Mordor's Darkness.
Mordor: The iconic Darkness, a perennial meteorological phenomenon caused by Sauron in order to darken the skies and support his legions of Orcs.
Rohan: The iconic clouds break spell at the Rohirrim's arrival on the Pelennor Fields.
Isengard: The constant cold Rain, created by the magic of Saruman during the Helm's Deep battle.

After these traditional spells from BFME1, we have now come to examine the new (most of them) spells of the new factions. It's really significant seeing how the actual spells, or the proposals of new spells, have tried to seek for a very conceptual and suitable outcome to apply to every faction's spirit and motive. This is the path I will try too to follow for my proposal for Imladris  ;)

Dwarves: The Durin's Day, following the pure Dwarven lore, myths and tradition.
Lothlórien: The Elves chant towards the Stars of the Sky, seeking for Varda's aid in their darkest times.
Angmar: The bitter Snow that indicates the arrival of the dangerous Winter (the Witch King) in the lands of the North.
The Misty Mountains: There is a proposal in this forum, that Ealendril liked, about making appear colonies/clouds of bats that consequently darken the Sky. This is what happened in the Battle of the Five Armies, and it was an intentional device used by the Goblins to face daylight.

A NEW SPELL FOR IMLADRIS

Note: This doesn't mean at all that Imladris will be the next faction. I don't have knowledge of which faction will come next.

Sorry for having probably repeated obvious notions, but it was necessary for my purpose. So, we now come to my proposal.
My idea is giving Imladris a sacred/holy type spell, in line with this faction's nature; a very distinctive spell worthy of Rivendell's known title of being the sum of the most sacred things left in Middle Earth.

In Imladris' darkest times, Manwë summons upon Taniquetil (the supreme Holy Mountain) all the holy winds of Aman, sending them in aid of the Noldor.
The Wind from Aman will blow away Darkness, Rain or Snow. Then, the holy Air of the Undying Lands will infuse the whole Sky with the holy and bright atmosphere of Aman, enlightening everything with a pure diamond-like Light that could never belong to Middle Earth. All the structures of Rivendell will react temporarily to this holy pervasive state by reflecting it and shining intensely in response (just how the Lothlórien structures currently do when Elbereth Gilthoniel is activated).

My idea is adding a stunting effect to the common darkness-breaking property. Nevertheless, if this couldn't be possible due to technical issues, an enhancing effect on yours and allied troops would do greatly anyway. I don't want to go deeply into balance-related matters or numbers, given that my main purpose is essentially finding a new conceptual rendition for this kind of iconic spells. Thus, I would gently and promptly leave numbers in the precious hands of the Edain Team or experienced Balance Testers  xD

The core of the suggestion is, if it's possible, displaying graphical wind effects and that 'holy daylight/shining' atmosphere related to the splendour of Valinor. As for the sound effects, I would 'only' suggest the usage of quite simple wind and shining sound effects, of which, I guess, the Edain Team have plenty at hand  :P
A song would ruin a bit the whole 'experience', in my opinion; thus, a calm/soft wind sound combined with the actual shining sound effects (like the ones of Nenya) caused by the spell.
This video could give a hint at the simple wind sound effects I am referring to.

Lore Accuracy

The idea came into my mind from a significant event taking place in Return of the King. After the destruction of the One Ring, evil residuals of ashes rise in the Sky from the ruines of Barad-dûr, indicating that the spirit of Sauron is somehow still present, full of hatred and resentment. At this point, a strong Wind from the West comes and blows forever away what is left of Sauron.
This is the lore reference (it's not specifically stated that it is a Wind from Aman, but this is a recurrent interpretation I often read in many sources, like the reliable Tolkien Gateway).

Zitat
‘The realm of Sauron is ended!’ said Gandalf. ‘The Ring-bearer has fulfilled his Quest.’ And as the Captains gazed south to the Land of Mordor, it seemed to them that, black against the pall of cloud, there rose a huge shape of shadow, impenetrable, lightning-crowned, filling all the sky. Enormous it reared above the world, and stretched out towards them a vast threatening hand, terrible but impotent: for even as it leaned over them, a great wind took it, and it was all blown away, and passed; and then a hush fell.
J.R.R. Tolkien - The Return of the King: The Field of Cormallen

The icon picture I have in mind for the spell is the image of the glorious and radiant Taniquetil, where the thrones of the King and the Queen of Arda lie. The place in which all the birds and the winds of the World gather, controlled by the Lord of the Air. It's an artwork from Ted Nasmith.

The name for the spell I thought about is, primarily, Relief from Aman. This is my main suggestion; an alternative name could be Manwë Súlimo.
The core description of the spell could be: In the Noldor's darkest times, Manwë summons the winds of Aman and sends them in the Elves' aid. Darkness, Rain and Snow will be blown away, and the holy essence of Valinor infuses the battlefield with Hope.
Obviously, specific descriptions of the effects are missing, but this is something that can be sorted easily out later.

Final Considerations

Imladris is told to be the place in Middle Earth that resembles the most the splendour of the Lonely Island, Eldamar or Valinor itself, due to the influence of Vilya. A kind of reflection of the Undying Lands in the mortal world. Rivendell is, thus, the most suitable faction to be granted this special and much significant spell.

Furthermore, there is an important analogy lying between the two Elven factions!
Lothlórien's Elbereth Gilthoniel is deeply connected to Varda and the Night, while Relief from Aman is deeply connected to Manwë and the Daylight/Air.

I hope you will appreciate this proposal and see deeply into my purposes. This could be a very smart and nice way to include the lore of Aman in the game in a more prominent way, while, needless to say, creating a very conceptual and unique concept for a weather-related spell.
Greetings  ;)

FOR: Fredius, -DJANGO-, Adrigabbro, ahdover, Odysseus, VectorMaximus, Maraelion, Ealendril, CragLord, LordDainIronfoot, DrHouse93
« Letzte Änderung: 20. Apr 2016, 15:34 von DieWalküre »

Fredius

• Edain Betatesting
  • Galadhrim
  • It's good to be evil
Re: A new weather-related spell for Imladris - Relief from Aman
« Antwort #1 am: 11. Apr 2016, 20:31 »
I'm all in for uniqueness! Especially giving an unique weather spell to every faction would be great, and your suggestion about the wind, or rather, Relief from Aman sounds great! I'm in favor of this suggestion xD.

Also I love to read that little bit of lore about the black cloud, I didn't know that :).

-DJANGO-

• Balins Schriftführer
  • I might play Unchained!
« Antwort #2 am: 11. Apr 2016, 21:03 »
Great concept! I share the same opinion on giving each faction an unique weatherspell.
I'm also really a fan of integrating more "Tolkien Essence" into the Edain Game  (**)

- THE EAGLES ARE COMING -

Adrigabbro

• Gesandter der Freien Völker
« Antwort #3 am: 11. Apr 2016, 21:08 »
After such reckless love, what can one man do but upvote?  :D

You have my axe, pointy-eared *Lady of Light* princess!  :)

"That still only counts as one!"

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #4 am: 11. Apr 2016, 21:13 »
I'm all in for uniqueness! Especially giving an unique weather spell to every faction would be great, and your suggestion about the wind, or rather, Relief from Aman sounds great! I'm in favor of this suggestion xD.

Also I love to read that little bit of lore about the black cloud, I didn't know that :).

Thank you, Fredius, I appreciate very much your support  :)
Yes, that black cloud is what is basically left of Sauron, cleansed by the Good Forces' intervention  xD

Great concept! I share the same opinion on giving each faction an unique weatherspell.
I'm also really a fan of integrating more "Tolkien Essence" into the Edain Game  (**)

Thank you very much  ;)
I admit you gave me the greatest motivation in finding a new concept for Imladris, after I saw for the first time your wonderful proposal Elbereth Gilthoniel. This is a really brilliant spell!

Thus, I would say that part of the merit is also yours, at least indirectly  :P

After such reckless love, what can one man do but upvote?  :D

You have my axe, pointy-eared *Lady of Light* princess!  :)

Thank you, I appreciate the great meaning of your offer  ;)

ahdover

• Bilbos Festgast
  • "I have faced the Great Serpents of the North"
« Antwort #5 am: 11. Apr 2016, 22:16 »
It seems that you have very carefully thought this through. I do like this idea as the "weather spells" that each faction has are unique, so to not copy from other factions, this is great. Kind of too early for this but...1+ ;P

Odysseus

• Galadhrim
« Antwort #6 am: 11. Apr 2016, 22:31 »
The fact that you put so much work into the proposal for a rather simple (in terms of design) spell, already makes it very difficult to dissuade such a proposal haha.

Nonetheless, I agree completely! Weather spells are extremely useful and very fun to tinker and play with I would imagine.

You have my approval Walk.

Kind regards,

Odysseus.
« Letzte Änderung: 11. Apr 2016, 23:02 von Odysseus »
“For so sworn good or evil an oath may not be broken and it shall pursue oathkeeper and oathbreaker to the world's end.”

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #7 am: 11. Apr 2016, 22:55 »
It seems that you have very carefully thought this through. I do like this idea as the "weather spells" that each faction has are unique, so to not copy from other factions, this is great. Kind of too early for this but...1+ ;P

Yes, uniqueness was one of the main purposes behind this proposal. I'm very glad you like it  :)

The fact that you put so much work into the proposal for a rather simple (in terms of design) spell, already makes it very difficult to dissuade such a proposal haha.

Nonetheless, I agree completely! Weather spells are extremely useful and very fun to tinker and play with I woudl imagine.

You have my approval Walk.

True, I did put 'some' efforts in this suggestion. Actually, I would say that it has drained many energies of mine  :D
This is how I kind of look like now  xD

Thank you so much for the support, I too am in love with weather spells  ;)

VectorMaximus

• RPG Team [en]
  • Pförtner von Bree
  • "This we have sworn, and not lightly"
« Antwort #8 am: 11. Apr 2016, 23:48 »
You know, I still kinda want the Noldolante, being more pro-Noldor, and largely indifferent towards the Valar, hence I want something that represents their own ingenuity and skill. Also, that's what I had suggested in my big Imladris suggestion (so I'm obviously not biased at all! :D) thread, but you've done an absolutely stellar job on this proposal Walk, so I'm not sure how I feel about it.

On one hand, in my opinion, the Valar by the 3rd age are observers; they don't intervene in the matters of Middle-Earth. The elves (in this case the Noldor) have had to make do on their own. Personally I find Elbereth Gilthoniel stretching even that a little bit (though, being Lothlorien and they sung it in the movies I'm okay with it). So I think it would be kind of redundant to have 2 'Valar-inspired' spells, and the 'holy wind' only comes once - as you said, to disperse Sauron. However, as said before, the proposal is very well done; and Imladris, being the mortal reflection of the Undying Lands, would be the most befitting place for such a spell.

So, overall, while I would still prefer the Noldolante (signifying the bittersweet nature of the Noldor, and their constant struggles in Middle-Earth, growing ever in wisdom and sorrow), this proposal has my support for an acceptable Imladris weather spell.
"But wherefore should Middle-earth remain for ever desolate and dark, whereas the Elves could make it as fair as Eressëa, nay even as Valinor?

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #9 am: 12. Apr 2016, 01:34 »
Thank you for the support, or half support, Vector  xD
Oh, yes, I remember that proposal of yours. I have to admit, though, that I had totally forgotten it.

Your points are legitimate, and I had already thought about them before deciding to present this 'final proposal'. The Valar are indeed observers, but I don't personally see this spell forcing too much the taboo of their canonical non-intervention in the World's matters. As you said, the event I took as inspiration 'just' shows the Valar (Manwë) intervening at the very last moment; the event itself, furthermore, is probably more meant to be an indicative and symbolic authoritative remark from the Powers of the West, rather than a true help in defeating Sauron (who had already been defeated). A symbolic theme, that's why I opted for this representation, to connect Imladris to Valinor (while, at the same time, avoiding the implementation of any Vala, Maia or character that doesn't belong to the War of the Ring, being this a quite defined boundary in the Edain Mod).

Thus, the Valar (that always see and hear everything of the World) send a message of Hope and Relief in the Noldor's hardest times (and this can be referred to the sad and tragic lore of the Noldor you rightly referred to). I really believe this is the only way to actually implement concretely something from Aman and the Valar in the game, without violating any gameplay limit. Obviously, everything has necessarily to be bent a bit, in order to match also with the characteristics of a game.
Therefore, we have Imladris, the Valar, Valinor and an actual and quite lore accurate display of Magic/Power at the same time; I guess we could have not asked for better (apart from your bitter resentment towards the Valar)  :D

What convinced me so much was also the effective analogy I found between Imladris and Lothlórien, Manwë and Varda, Day and Night  ;)
The two Elven factions will thus be profoundly linked to each other!

P.S. As always: #TeamValar  8-)

VectorMaximus

• RPG Team [en]
  • Pförtner von Bree
  • "This we have sworn, and not lightly"
« Antwort #10 am: 12. Apr 2016, 02:57 »
I would not call my relationship with the Valar bitter, per say. I actually admire them a fair bit, but I have to say that constantly hearing their praises makes me want to tear them down a bit from their pedestal. My basic thoughts are this; they have really good intents and have the right ideas, but they make some critical (in my opinion) errors that people just tend to overlook (the release of Melkor, the meddling and intervention in the court of Tirion, lack of intervention in the early parts of the FA, etc) so I feel the need to play the 'Devil's advocate' where they are concerned. ;)

Though I have to ask, what is it about the day/night analogy that causes you to associate those things with the two factions, outside of these powers? Day - Rivendell/Night - Lothlorien/Mirkwood.
#TeamMiddleEarth
« Letzte Änderung: 12. Apr 2016, 03:08 von VectorMaximus »
"But wherefore should Middle-earth remain for ever desolate and dark, whereas the Elves could make it as fair as Eressëa, nay even as Valinor?

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #11 am: 12. Apr 2016, 12:24 »
I know that you are, deep inside your heart, a true admirer of the Valar. I was just teasing you a bit  xD

That is an analogy/connection that I specifically found inside this and Lothlórien's weather spell. In the German forum, the Elbereth Gilthoniel proposal of -DJANGO- also aimed to recreate, beside the reference to Varda, that 'night-atmosphere' that we can feel when the Fellowship enters Caras Galadhon for the first time, in the first film. Thus, I thought it would have been very coherent and smart creating a spell related to Manwë and to the splendour of the daylight of Valinor (that the spell temporarily recreates on the battlefield).

So, as I said, the two Elven factions will be connected to each other by the two most powerful Valar (the King and the Queen of Arda), and by that night-atmosphere and holy daylight which eternally permeates Rivendell (I really love the rendition of this sanctuary-like aura from AUJ)  :)

Maraelion

• Gastwirt zu Bree
« Antwort #12 am: 12. Apr 2016, 12:52 »
I completely support your concept becuase it is unique and very well presented as your proposals are always!
Greetings
Maraelion

Ealendril der Dunkle

• Gast
« Antwort #13 am: 12. Apr 2016, 12:55 »
Currently I am not sure how to transfer this idea into the games engine. But i like it. ;)

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #14 am: 12. Apr 2016, 14:00 »
I completely support your concept becuase it is unique and very well presented as your proposals are always!

Thank you very much, I'm very glad you like it  ;)

Currently I am not sure how to transfer this idea into the games engine. But i like it. ;)

This was the core idea of this new weather spell; you are obviously more than free to bend everything to the game's needs, if it's necessary. I hope to have given the inspiration for a conceptual and unique change, in line with the differentiation of the other factions; I will wait and hope that the general guidelines of this proposal will be followed anyway.
I'm very happy you like it  :)