28. Mär 2024, 17:50 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Rules of the Ultimate Skill Cup  (Gelesen 5042 mal)

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
  • Arise! Arise, Writers of KryPtik!
Rules of the Ultimate Skill Cup
« am: 2. Mai 2016, 12:21 »
Thanks to everybody for watching and competing, see you in the next tournament!
« Letzte Änderung: 14. Aug 2016, 23:59 von Elite KryPtik »
Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter! Spear shall be shaken! Shield shall be splintered! A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride, ride to ruin, and the worlds ending! FORTH EORLINGAS!

Fine

• RPG Team
  • Wächter der Veste
  • Ich hab da ein ganz mieses Gefühl bei der Sache...
Re: Rules of the Ultimate Skill Cup
« Antwort #1 am: 2. Mai 2016, 13:19 »
It's great to see a new tournament being organized and put together and I applaud your (and Chiska's) enthusiasm and devotion to the community. I think this will be a great opportunity for players to show their skills and for many great games to take place.
However, I'm not sure about the following rule:

At the end of the time limit Chiska and myself will pick whoever we think is winning.

This seems... well, problematic. Of course there will be games were the winner is obvious even if the game has not ended after 30 minutes. But I am sure there will be other games were it will not be as easy to decide which one of the players is doing better and I believe this will lead to frustration when the player that is declared as the loser feels he actually had the upper hand or was breaking even with his opponent. Now, I do not really have an idea on how else to "enforce" the time limit so may it would be better to simply get rid of it altogether to avoid the problems I think may be coming with it.
Of course, this is only my personal opinion.

RPG:

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
« Antwort #2 am: 2. Mai 2016, 13:35 »
We may also do ask the twitch audience to vote on who they think is winning, but I have made it very clear from the get go that matches have a 30 minute time limit. So this should encourage players not to turtle, and to realize that they have a finite amount of time to defeat the opposing player. I'm sure that just having the players know this should solve any issues in regards to close matches, and also most 1v1 matches take less than a half hour to finish in general :)
Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter! Spear shall be shaken! Shield shall be splintered! A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride, ride to ruin, and the worlds ending! FORTH EORLINGAS!

Draco100000

• Gastwirt zu Bree
  • Revenge? REVENGE? I will show you revenge!
« Antwort #3 am: 2. Mai 2016, 21:14 »
This rule is unfair for Lategame Factions like Gondor or isengard. A game cannot be up more than 40-50 minits men, but 30 is very low time for a match, specially between 2 skilled players. I do not agree with that rule at all. Also I think if you are playing in the tourney, if chiska have to decide....he will be completely fair in his decision?
« Letzte Änderung: 2. Mai 2016, 21:27 von Draco100000 »

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
« Antwort #4 am: 2. Mai 2016, 23:02 »
Both Gondor and Isengard have many early game rush options, they can easily gain map control and end it in 30 minutes, I know from experience.

Odysseus

• Galadhrim
« Antwort #5 am: 3. Mai 2016, 00:06 »
I think there are quite some people that will disagree with you Elite. A tournament should have a set of rules, but no restrictions or limitations on specific factions, in my opinion. It's in the game, make use of it. Balance is a point of view, and to have such a thing be removed from the tournament is just negative bias, with Iron Hills having a very important aspect of their gameplay removed. Furthermore, it will also make it harder for the team to observe what needs to be tweaked exactly about the Ram Riders for instance, since tournaments also serve as a good pool of feedback.

The second rule about the 30 minutes verdict is probably one of the worst ideas for a tournament I have ever heard, to be quite blunt. Imagine a football game, El Classico (Barcelona versus Real Madrid) and then suddenly the arbiter simply decides that one side has won. Just let everything play out. As arbiters, you should monitor and guide the games, not decide them. Otherwise, just stick to commentary.

I hope you will consider some of the things I mentioned.

Kind regards,

Odysseus
« Letzte Änderung: 3. Mai 2016, 00:17 von Odysseus »
“For so sworn good or evil an oath may not be broken and it shall pursue oathkeeper and oathbreaker to the world's end.”

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
« Antwort #6 am: 3. Mai 2016, 01:11 »
I think comparing a soccer match to an edain match is something entirely different. There are variations to take into account due to factions and maps, sure, but in general the match, after 20 minutes, is going well for 1 player or the other. I don't want to end up in a situation where we have a gondor player turtling in their base for 2 hours, believe me it can happen. I will again state, people KNOW going in that there is a time limit, so this will incentivize aggressive play. The 30 minute rule is not absolute, some games might be 35-40 mins to allow a proper win if its doable, but there is a soft limit for a reason. To do the entire tournament over 1 weekend we need to have reasonably timely matches, especially considering its best of 3 and not just 1 game.

As for the Ram Riders, my prerogative is ensuring fair, balanced matches, not showing how OP something is for the team to fix. Iron hills can be played just fine without their Ram Riders, they still have access to incredibly tanky, bordering OP infantry as it is. If people rely on 3 overpowered cavalry to win them the game they need to work on their strategy, no offense. I was pretty strongly considering banning Angmar because of how OP they are too, but I decided against banning an entire faction.

Odysseus

• Galadhrim
« Antwort #7 am: 3. Mai 2016, 01:48 »
Well, it is your tournament, so you can decide of course.

About Gondor, I think that a Gondor player turtling in his base has sufficient counters to it. If you camp in base, you cannot control the map. If you control the map, you get more resources and you can start churning out enough siege to break Gondor's defenses, so I don't see a problem with this strategy. Yes, it would be unfun to watch or to play against, but it's a valid strategy and should not be prohibited, imo. Besides, people of ''skill'' will not camp in their base.

Zitat
The 30 minute rule is not absolute, some games might be 35-40 mins to allow a proper win if its doable
I don't understand this at all, why should you decide who wins if the game takes longer than 30-40 minutes? Comebacks are always a possibility. If you make a mistake in judgement, it will probably lead to bad blood.

I agree about the Ram Riders, it's just that I do not like the idea behind banning units from factions. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I wish you good fortune with the tournament!
“For so sworn good or evil an oath may not be broken and it shall pursue oathkeeper and oathbreaker to the world's end.”

Draco100000

• Gastwirt zu Bree
  • Revenge? REVENGE? I will show you revenge!
« Antwort #8 am: 3. Mai 2016, 20:18 »
I think comparing a soccer match to an edain match is something entirely different. There are variations to take into account due to factions and maps, sure, but in general the match, after 20 minutes, is going well for 1 player or the other. I don't want to end up in a situation where we have a gondor player turtling in their base for 2 hours, believe me it can happen. I will again state, people KNOW going in that there is a time limit, so this will incentivize aggressive play. The 30 minute rule is not absolute, some games might be 35-40 mins to allow a proper win if its doable, but there is a soft limit for a reason. To do the entire tournament over 1 weekend we need to have reasonably timely matches, especially considering its best of 3 and not just 1 game.

As for the Ram Riders, my prerogative is ensuring fair, balanced matches, not showing how OP something is for the team to fix. Iron hills can be played just fine without their Ram Riders, they still have access to incredibly tanky, bordering OP infantry as it is. If people rely on 3 overpowered cavalry to win them the game they need to work on their strategy, no offense. I was pretty strongly considering banning Angmar because of how OP they are too, but I decided against banning an entire faction.

I have played tons of matches just like you and i have get victorys after being defending 40 minits, for example against mordor. Who should win a mordor who has the entire map or a Dwarven Erebor faction with dain lvl10 and elite upgraded units with vets.... that are defending..... I think this is very important to be removed, matches can be that equal that the evolution to midgame can take 20 minits. Just getting constant winnings of territory and looses and some good moves we can have 50 minits of intense combat with no apparent winner. I think 3 days are more than enough to play matches until de end. Also if you want to make it shorter just put the best of 1 match and not 3. I think if well chose the map can be balanced for all factions.

About ram riders Im agree they are not needed at all.

PD: you are playing also in  the tourney, do you think you have more decision power than other players... you would reach the final winning with 30 mins cap at 1 or 2 matches... even being fair from point of view of many people it wouldnt be cool thought.

Chiska

• Wanderer des Alten Waldes
  • To err is human, to forgive divine
« Antwort #9 am: 10. Mai 2016, 15:39 »
This rule is unfair for Lategame Factions like Gondor or isengard. A game cannot be up more than 40-50 minits men, but 30 is very low time for a match, specially between 2 skilled players. I do not agree with that rule at all. Also I think if you are playing in the tourney, if chiska have to decide....he will be completely fair in his decision?

Don't worry, Draco, if it comes to it I will justly select a victor based off the actual game be it EliteKryPtik or not. And as he've mentioned we can always just ask the twitch audience to vote for a winner.

Lord of Mordor

• Edain Ehrenmember
  • Bewahrer des roten Buches
« Antwort #10 am: 10. Mai 2016, 15:49 »
You won't have to worry about the ram riders by the way :) It is very likely that we'll have another patch with a nerf for them ready by the time this tournament starts, which will also hit some of Angmar's most glaring issues.

I wish everyone best of luck with the tournament! Depending on how many players sign up, we'd be happy to toss some Edain Beta versions into the pot. For a 16 player tournament, we'd grant beta access to the victor, while a 32 player tournament would receive beta access for the top three players :)
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Richtlinien für Edain-Vorschläge
I Edain Suggestion Guidelines

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
« Antwort #11 am: 10. Mai 2016, 16:31 »
Great news LoM, thanks for the heads up, I shall update the main post :)

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #12 am: 15. Aug 2016, 14:28 »
Closed at the creator's request.

--- LOCKED ---