12. Mai 2024, 00:52 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Ladders and Siege Towers  (Gelesen 2106 mal)

Hamanathnath

• Gefährte der Gemeinschaft
Ladders and Siege Towers
« am: 18. Mai 2016, 14:16 »
Hello everyone :)

Now I did quickly look at all the names of topic in the General Suggestion, but If I missed one that has to do with this topic then I'm sorry.

This doesn't seem to be a topic that is talked about often.  But in my opinion, Ladders and Siege Towers are completely worthless.  I honestly don't see any reason, besides for cinematic reasons, to ever use either of these.  Catapults/Ballistas always seem to be the better opinion.  Now, this isn't exactly an Edain only problem, as I would say every time I see one of these units in BFME1 (and I think they were also in Siege Maps in BFME2), they are also pretty much useless.  So I would like to get the Opinion of Ladders and Siege Towers, and see if other people share my concerns. 

My suggestions on how to improve them:

Ladders:  I do like how Ladders are cheap, recruit quick, and don't cost much Command Points.  But they die so quick to everything that they really don't seem to ever be worth it.  I would multiply their health by 2.5 (so 2500 instead of 1000), as well as make them take slightly less damage from Upgraded Ranged Damage.  To slightly compensate, they should take slightly more damage from Siege, so that Wall Catapults/Trebuchets can still deal decent damage to them, as they should. 

Siege Towers:  I think it is quite confusing that Siege Towers take so much damage from upgraded arrows.  Isn't the Tower plated with metal so that Arrows don't do much damaged to it?  Siege should deal decent damage to them, but Pretty much all forms of Ranged Damage should barely do anything.  So I would suggest that Siege Towers get a great increase to Armor against Arrows, including Upgraded Arrows, but also make them cost 100 more (so 500 instead of 400 I believe) so they aren't spammed too much.  They should cost a decent amount.

I would really like to hear other people's opinion on the current state of these units.

Odysseus

• Galadhrim
Re: Ladders and Siege Towers
« Antwort #1 am: 18. Mai 2016, 14:47 »
As you say, I always found these units to be campaign units. They rarely need to be used in the standard 1v1-2v2 skirmishes and matches in Edain because even the Fortress can usually be taken down by ballistas and rams. I see them only having more worth when you are playing on these campaign-esque maps, like the 3 player Minas Tirith map. There, 1/3 of the map is made out of walls, so the value of siege towers and ladders is significantly higher xD.

I don't really have anything against the suggestions that you made. I only get these units when it is time to troll your opponent anyway. A fully upgraded Isengard army, that is unable to enter, can simply enter via a single ladder. It can be pretty devastating, especially if you put the thing out of sight, like at the back of the Fortress walls.

Nonetheless, I agree with ya. Sounds good.
“For so sworn good or evil an oath may not be broken and it shall pursue oathkeeper and oathbreaker to the world's end.”

Hamanathnath

• Gefährte der Gemeinschaft
Re: Ladders and Siege Towers
« Antwort #2 am: 18. Mai 2016, 16:27 »
I also find it weird that whole armies can climb up one Ladder at the exact same time, but I realize that for gameplay, and because of the engine of the game, it might need to be that way. 

And I also find it very entertaining to use Ladders when sieging on a map like Helms Deep, but the problem is that just sitting back with a Ballista to destroy the Deeping Wall is always a more effective strategy.  I want to see Both Ladders and Seige Towers to have a legitimate use in matches.