19. Apr 2024, 23:52 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Umfrage

Does Durin deserve to remain part of the Edain Mod?

Yes, he's an iconic mythical figure and he deserves to remain part of the Edain Mod
No, he doesn't have any place left in the Edain Mod after the overhaul of the Dwarven Ring system

Autor Thema: Durin's fate in the Edain Mod  (Gelesen 42123 mal)

Garlodur

• Gastwirt zu Bree
  • In Moria, in Khazad-Dûm
Re: Durin's fate in the Edain Mod
« Antwort #105 am: 29. Jul 2017, 15:51 »
Hi there!

I wanted to share my thoughts on the topic since this is a topic that intrigues me a lot, and it encourages me that other members are so passionate about this reconceptualisation of Dwarven Ring heroes. I apologise if my thoughts seem all over the place, but I want to ask and introduce vital questions.

• Firstly, I agree that the proposed configuration of Ring heroes should exclude the option for King Dáin to accept the One Ring. This leaves us with Thorin Oakenshield, Lord Dáin of the Iron Hills and Durin VII (somewhere in Thorin Stonehelm's line) as Ring heroes for the respective Dwarven factions of Ered Luin, the Iron Hills, and Erebor. I believe that the fate of Durin VII as a new Ring hero is indeed strongly connected to that of the other two.
  • Secondly, I am satisfied with the way the canon knowledge on Durin has been incorporated into this concept, although I find it a very significantly unsupported assumption that Durin VII is the son of Thorin III. The royal family tree of Durin's line is the only source that confirms descendance but the dotted line indicates an indirect relation that might span several generations. Nonetheless, I am willing to accept this proposal on the same ground the Last Alliance spell has a place in the mod, being the iconic meaning of the most legendary Dwarf (in resurrection).

I propose therefore to leave out the backstory around Hannar (who is also completely made up, besides being based on a loose premise). It seems Aule and dkbluewizard have come around to a similar conclusion. I want to strengthen their reasoning with the following argument: the spirit of Durin is resurrected in a new body wHich he then makes resemble that of previous namebearer. This explains on the one hand why nothing is spoken of a Durin after the death of Durin VI for thousands of years, and on the other hand it shows the uncertainty around the beginning and end of the lives of Durin II till Durin VI with regards to dates. I take the liberty to interpret these facts that Durin's spirit chooses when to resurrect in a new body. The argument of necessary resemblance between all Durin is hard to maintain for this reason, at least in physical form. Certainly, the Dwarves must have built statues to honour their kings but those could have perished in the ruins of Gundabad and Moria and even the First Age Blue Mountains settlements. I argue that the spiritual resemblance is more important to the Dwarves who recognise the exceptional skill in masonry, weapon arts and leadership as almost out of their nature. Furthermore, the decreased importance of physical resemblance allows for the new interpretation of every Durin not being directly related to each other. This way, only a very particular Dwarf with the right mental capabilities will be chosen to incorporate Durin's spirit.

In game, this is best translated as Durin VII instantly summoning on the battlefield as King Dáin collects the Ring, to imagine the reawakening of Durin's spirit in a new Dwarven body.
  • Thirdly, concerning the in-game implementation I have a few ideas to make the design stand out next to other Ring Heroes. I agree that somehow the individual progress as a hero must be reflected in Durin VII, from accepting the burden as an outstanding warrior and tactician to succeeding in carrying it as a mighty Dwarf lord with strong leadership and unyielding endurance.
« Letzte Änderung: 29. Jul 2017, 17:11 von Garlodur »

AulëTheSmith

• Elronds Berater
« Antwort #106 am: 29. Jul 2017, 18:05 »
I propose therefore to leave out the backstory around Hannar (who is also completely made up, besides being based on a loose premise). It seems Aule and dkbluewizard have come around to a similar conclusion.

exactly Garlodur! we decide to leave hannar to the background story. he's useful to introduce the character in the timeline. And also it was cool to make something by our interpretation, to give the character a sort of personality :)
However as you said, in game he will appear directly as Durin VII, with a mysterious aura around him as in the lore.

Thirdly, concerning the in-game implementation I have a few ideas to make the design stand out next to other Ring Heroes. I agree that somehow the individual progress as a hero must be reflected in Durin VII, from accepting the burden as an outstanding warrior and tactician to succeeding in carrying it as a mighty Dwarf lord with strong leadership and unyielding endurance.

Feel yourself free to share your ideas about it :)
Given story and lore consolidated, the last part about Durin VII in game is still work in progress and open to suggestion. I think the most important abilities won't change so much (they mostly resemble the ones of Durin I), a part of minor details, but for example i'm improving the balance, make his escalation to power slower  ;)
The models design i finally conceived, it seems the best one to condense the old design with something new.

The first (rank 1 to 5), looks more like a young brave warrior of Erebor.
The second (rank 5 to 10) is him after he complete his path with the reconquest  of Moria :)

PS: guys, for now, consindering the enthusiasm and new ideas about Durin VII and dwarves ring system, i deleted the FOR/AGAINST list, i'm gonna create it again when the separate thread will be created, given ALL the ideas about the main core as mostly consolidated.
« Letzte Änderung: 29. Jul 2017, 18:17 von AulëTheSmith »

dkbluewizard

• Gastwirt zu Bree
« Antwort #107 am: 29. Jul 2017, 18:14 »
Garlodur, I would argue on the premise of the dotted lines. Most of that shows when kings ruled, this is true. But if you go by Tolkien's timeline and the lore that is actually written, the Dwarfs are suppose to disappear in the 4th Age, there is simply just not enough time for all those generations as you speak.

This is what we know of Durin VII: He is a descendant of Thorin III (a son is also considered a descendant), Durin's have great longevity as far as Dwarfs go, Durin VII PROCLAIMED himself in the 4th age, not necessarily meaning that he was born in the 4th age, and finally, based on the background of all Durins we know that they were great smiths, warriors, and the Dwarfs considered them each to be reincarnated.

If it is just for the lore standards not EXPLICITLY stating that Durin VII is Thorin III's son--then it wouldn't matter as Durin VII even as a grandson would still fit the timeline. Don't get hung up on the semantics.

Truth is, for Durin VII to exist, reconquer Moria, and then disappear in the 4th age, then the timeline has to be presented the way I presented it. There is just not enough time for all the generations. I like what you stated in your reply about Lord Dain, Thorin II, and Durin VII Garlodur--but the lines could mean how long one rules. So after Thorin III dies, Durin VII could have ruled all those generations until the diminishing of the Dwarfs, as was Tolkien's intent. 
Outside of Lord of the Rings, I am pretty sure Vengeance of Valdorian & Leoj's Wrath are the best novels I have read.

AulëTheSmith

• Elronds Berater
« Antwort #108 am: 29. Jul 2017, 18:28 »
There is not a clear reference in the lore regarding the specific issue about if he is or is not the son of Thorin III. anyway i think the timeline of dk is reasonable. The very fact, which i strongly agree with dkblue and which makes his implemenatation in game feasible (even if is not as Hannar as i said before), is that  i believe is reasonable to think he's born in the third age, and he's the last king right after Thorin III. if it is the last heir of Durin, is lore-friendly the idea that he's blessed with exceptional long life, such as he could rule in the 4th age also.

Garlodur

• Gastwirt zu Bree
  • In Moria, in Khazad-Dûm
« Antwort #109 am: 30. Jul 2017, 00:54 »
Garlodur, I would argue on the premise of the dotted lines. Most of that shows when kings ruled, this is true. But if you go by Tolkien's timeline and the lore that is actually written, the Dwarfs are suppose to disappear in the 4th Age, there is simply just not enough time for all those generations as you speak.

This is what we know of Durin VII: He is a descendant of Thorin III (a son is also considered a descendant), Durin's have great longevity as far as Dwarfs go, Durin VII PROCLAIMED himself in the 4th age, not necessarily meaning that he was born in the 4th age, and finally, based on the background of all Durins we know that they were great smiths, warriors, and the Dwarfs considered them each to be reincarnated.

If it is just for the lore standards not EXPLICITLY stating that Durin VII is Thorin III's son--then it wouldn't matter as Durin VII even as a grandson would still fit the timeline. Don't get hung up on the semantics.

Truth is, for Durin VII to exist, reconquer Moria, and then disappear in the 4th age, then the timeline has to be presented the way I presented it. There is just not enough time for all the generations. I like what you stated in your reply about Lord Dain, Thorin II, and Durin VII Garlodur--but the lines could mean how long one rules. So after Thorin III dies, Durin VII could have ruled all those generations until the diminishing of the Dwarfs, as was Tolkien's intent.

Don't worry dk, I accept your reasoning for the sake of implementing Durin. I might not agree 100% with it but since this mod is only set at the end of the Third Age we have to deal with the inconsistency. Nonetheless it needs to become clear for what reason Durin deserves to be in the mod despite this time inconsistency. It is just something the main presenters of the proposal have to consider and write with utmost delicacy.

Thank you for your invitation Aule. I meant to write it all in one post but I lacked time. Simply put I suggest a sort of challenges system akin to the Necromancer's to symbolise the advent of Durin as an accepted Dwarf Lord. Such a system I feel is required to distinguish him from the other Dwarven Ring heroes and to give him extra attention.Also some sort of risk needs to be included because the Erebor gains another hero. This obviously requires to reconsider Durin's role in the faction that doesn't exceed the increase in power that Thorin II and Lord Dáin get when accepting the Ring. Besides, I want to mention how different this suggestion is from the Imladris Fellowship: they also spawn as  new battalion but they are in accordance to Elrond's role as mass slayer. It is another comparison that should be kept in mind when considering the intricacy and strength of Durin's character.

To the actual concept. I like the idea of a separate expedition to Moria solely for Durin VII to prove himself and to regain his long lost equipment. This will be in the form of an ability activated only once, which will transform the initial design to the legendary outfit. As a requirement to unlock this ability Durin will have to complete three challenges. These will follow his role as an allround supporter, thus taking the shape of one building buff, one hero buff and one unit buff. The basic set-up will mean that DurinVII spawns as a might warrior that is restricted to level 1, who forth needs to accomplish certain tests to prove his spirit, literally. After completing them, he will initiate the journey to Moria and return as a lord, being free to level up. This idea I got from the same Die Vierte Zeitalter mod that has brought you the models of Hannar. I don't quite know yet how to implement such challenges yet, which is why I want to share the idea with all of you. The fifth palantir slot is a passive that explains his unique levelling system and incorporates a form of leadership. Perhaps a nice place to reintroduce Durin's Day to the Dwarves, as a way to symbolise the pending rise to power.

I hope to have sparked some more debate. In the meantime I will reflect on possible challenges and the drawbacks of such a system.

AulëTheSmith

• Elronds Berater
« Antwort #110 am: 30. Jul 2017, 02:25 »
Don't worry dk, I accept your reasoning for the sake of implementing Durin. I might not agree 100% with it but since this mod is only set at the end of the Third Age we have to deal with the inconsistency. Nonetheless it needs to become clear for what reason Durin deserves to be in the mod despite this time inconsistency. It is just something the main presenters of the proposal have to consider and write with utmost delicacy.

I wouldn't speak about inconsistency, but rather Of sparse information which is more correct for Durin VII. In this sense, there is not something that is wrong or right, simply the info are not detailed so we have to deal with what we have from the lore. We have to interpret the low amount of information, reasonably adding some pieces to complete the puzzle. I think our story is a good story in this sense.
Independently of what name we gave him, or if is or isn't son of Thorin III, the main points are:
- the prophecy of his birth was made during BOTFA in 2941 TA, and the ring was destroyed in 3021 TA.These are authentic information from the lore.

Of course is reasonable to place is birthday after BOTFA, and at least 20- 30 years before the defeat of Sauron (otherwise it could be too young during the war of the ring) , being him a ring hero.
That is just what we made in our story, you can't say it is completely right to do it neither you can't say it's wrong, simply as I said the information are quite sparse; and we have made a reasonably timeline to fill this gap.

I would speak also in this case in relative terms, to build up another point in favor of the introduction of Durin figure through Durin VII,comparing the old system and the new one:

some people at the very beginning of this thread complain about the old system of reviving a death character from a statue was not canonic and against lore: agree, there is no mention of that. The return of Durin is present in the lore, but the old form of reviving him was strange and without any base (as I said just multiple times, it sounds a bit like necromancy stuff to resurrect him physically from stone). Now, relatively to this old form, what do you think is the most canonic? The old system or the new one we made?
If you think of what we have done, we have simply chosen a timeline in an interval coming from the lore ( i repeat: there is not a precise date, but the interval is canonic :) ). From the prophecy on (2941) anytime could be good to place the date of his birthday if you think about it. The lore give us a time interval only, without further details: is up to us to choose a proper and reasonable date. So is it more lore-friendly to revive Durin I from a statue with his body and soul or is it more canonic to choose a date for Durin VII birth from a CERTAIN lore-friendly time interval? I think the second one :).
About the theme of reincarnation I won't spend further words, because I just add tons of lore proof about all the possible way it can happen  [ugly]. What do you think about my thoughts Garlodur? I wrote this poem only because I don't want to introduce Durin "for the sake of do it", but I want to discuss very deeply the lore bases and the reason to introduce him ;) . Well of course one of the reason is because we all miss  Durin  xD (at least 2/3 of the voters looking at the poll), but it is not the only one. I want to make the pillars of the concept as solid as possible, and my passion for Durin motivate me a lot in this direction :)
P.s: anytime someone will bring back the issue of the timeline inconsistency and so on and so forth, I will quote this comment  :D :D

As for you are ideas, partially I have just introduce something about the travel to Moria in form of task :). I'm working on it and I think I will share it soon here, since the interest about this thread is increasing a lot and new ideas are rising. As I said the most important abilities won't change a lot a part of details, because are too much iconic and coming from the old skillset of Durin I. But for sure The issue of balance is something we can improve, introducing some task and constrains. Be it clear: I wouldn't complicate too much the concept, otherwise it could be not worth too much extra work for the team, especially in this delicate moment.
Said that, everyone is invited to share his thoughts :) Garlodur I will wait the details of your task system :)

« Letzte Änderung: 30. Jul 2017, 13:32 von AulëTheSmith »

dkbluewizard

• Gastwirt zu Bree
« Antwort #111 am: 30. Jul 2017, 05:04 »
Aule, I couldn't have said that better myself. Excellent job man!
Outside of Lord of the Rings, I am pretty sure Vengeance of Valdorian & Leoj's Wrath are the best novels I have read.

AulëTheSmith

• Elronds Berater
« Antwort #112 am: 30. Aug 2017, 00:00 »
Hello guys i'm back again to this post  :D I posted the last version of Durin VII, the lore and premises are the same as before, but the game implementation should be now more compact and balanced :). You can find it in my signature, and also i will copy it at the end of this message to make things easier  ;)
My willing for the future is to create a unique thread matching our work with the one of Isildurs Fluch, in order to present a new revolutionise dwarves ring system. I hope it will be soon (i'm a bit busy at the moment).

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #113 am: 30. Aug 2017, 03:06 »
It is holistically a very sound and detailed work! It boasts everything that a concept ought to comply with: a clear conceptual definition, lore premises, in-game perspective (as much as it's possible) and fine presentation. Once you manage to unify yours and Isildur's proposal, feel absolutely free to go for the showcasing thread.

A very decent example of conceptual craftsmanship, worthy of your very title, Aulë :)

dkbluewizard

• Gastwirt zu Bree
« Antwort #114 am: 30. Aug 2017, 08:20 »
Great job as always Aule. Enjoyed working with you on this project. Full steam ahead!

Fancy Lad School

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #115 am: 30. Aug 2017, 11:35 »
I must say. this is an exceptionally well worked out concept, which fits in with the lore as well as with the gameplay! Truly you must have spent a great deal of time preparing, overthinking and obviously writing that and I respect your dedication for making this mod better!
If only some people could share their opinions about my new Ered Mithrin Overhaul, maybe then we could work magic there too...  xD

dkbluewizard

• Gastwirt zu Bree
« Antwort #116 am: 30. Aug 2017, 17:44 »
Fancy Lad School, post the link and I'll throw in my 2 cents. Everyone here knows that is what I do best   :)

OakenShield224

• Elbischer Pilger
  • Welcome, my sister-sons, to the Kingdom of Erebor!
« Antwort #117 am: 1. Sep 2017, 12:44 »
I love this concept for Durin! It fits Dain well and Durin's mechanics are very interesting.

One question, will Thorin II and Dain Ironfoot still keep the Durin's Forge ability. I am just wondering if it would fit for them and if they should have their own unique ability.

AulëTheSmith

• Elronds Berater
« Antwort #118 am: 1. Sep 2017, 13:44 »
No more Durin's forge, here's the concept crafted by Isildur  ;):

Trapper

• Edain Ehrenmember
  • Knappe Rohans
« Antwort #119 am: 1. Sep 2017, 13:58 »
Proposals that include the history/lore are always very nice to read. Especially, when it is as nicely written as the one of you two. :)

Definetly, a very interesting and fitting lore and good conceptual ideas !