23. Apr 2024, 12:13 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Palantir powers  (Gelesen 2551 mal)

AmosVogel

• Gastwirt zu Bree
Palantir powers
« am: 21. Aug 2016, 04:25 »
Dear Edain team & Edain fans, i've a very polemical subject: the special powers.

Why? Because i love them(also too many fans do), but i also know the are against the lore (not all of them but quite a lot).

I may write an example of what came to my mind a few days ago:

Good Factions

Most of good faction powers should be passive. Yes, Valar -an other magical situations- helped in one way or another, but very very subtle & in a defensive way.

Also men factions shoud have the least active powers; dwarves & elven the most.

Those powers that could be active should stay the way they are: cloud break, dead army, Eärendil ship or even eagles.

Gandalf the White should return as in the elder days when only should be active if Gandalfs dies as the grey.

Evil Factions

The evil guys always cheated with magic in one way or another, so the most evil they are (also the most releated to free magic) the more active powers they should have.

For example, Mordor (the most evil & magical faction):

Mordors begining is weak & also its powers should start weak but useful, this firts row should be passive. Until the second or the third row, where Mordors (an Saurons) strenght are better.

& Isengard (not that magical at all)

This faction is by now the least magical (until misty mountains arrive), Saruman was very very restrained, as former good guy, so his faction powers should be the most passive & the least active.

Powers as rain or the eye of sauron should stay active, for example.

I dont know which powers should use evey faction as passive, we know those active but its harder to think which ones should fit in every faction.

I really hope this could help, maybe its too much of following the lore, but could make every faction much more interesting & challenging to play.

Thanks!
"Viva México"

Julio229

• Edain Betatesting
  • Gesandter der Freien Völker
  • King Of the Misty Mountains
Re: Palantir powers
« Antwort #1 am: 21. Aug 2016, 04:54 »
Don't really agree with this idea, active spellbook powers are really fun and can bring different aspects of the faction that we don't see without it (for example, Gondor getting help of Rohan, The Grey Company...)

I believe it should stay as it is, because having only passive powers with good factions would make them so boring to play, and even would make evil factions OP because their powers would affect the gameplay in a more direct way than good factions' powers.

Lore is important and it should be followed, but for the sake of gameplay, some sacrifices must be made. If the mod totally followed lore, we wouldn't have the amazing Angmar faction that we have, just to have an example.

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #2 am: 22. Aug 2016, 02:00 »
I can only agree with Julio. Such strict active/passive system would result in a great loss for the whole gaming experience; there would be so many elements (from both books and films) that would seriously risk to be left out or abruptly altered.

As much as the Edain Mod constantly tries to follow the lore sources, its renowned lore-accuracy must necessarily coexist with basic gameplay rules (such as balance, the enjoyment of the actual game and uniqueness). These are factors that can't be done without.

dkbluewizard

• Gastwirt zu Bree
« Antwort #3 am: 6. Nov 2016, 15:34 »
I agree with Diewalkure and Julio. The powers that are set are good enough. I like it the way it is.
Outside of Lord of the Rings, I am pretty sure Vengeance of Valdorian & Leoj's Wrath are the best novels I have read.

lord_ellessar

• Edain Team Recruit
  • Verteidiger Morias
  • you know nothing j... sorry wrong place
« Antwort #4 am: 17. Nov 2016, 11:52 »
Something interesting could be to have one part of the tree focused on attack and the other on the defence, or one on passive and the other on not passive :)

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #5 am: 17. Nov 2016, 11:54 »
Something interesting could be to have one part of the tree focused on attack and the other on the defence, or one on passive and the other on not passive :)

Oh yes, it would be interesting indeed and much diversified  ;)