19. Mär 2024, 07:11 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: The White Council: Discussion and Feedback  (Gelesen 36330 mal)

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
Re: The White Council: Discussion and Feedback
« Antwort #30 am: 6. Mär 2017, 00:26 »
In accordance to Necro, we are soon to deal with possible integrations from the lore of the Unfinished Tales, via examining here some possibilities, in order to provide the context with many more elements to explore. As we have hitherto agreed, Saruman will remain unaware of Narya being wielded by Gandalf.

Of course, expedients such as summaries or loose endings are well contemplated. The other player will always be able to make usage of the situation and widen the game at will. On the matter, I think we should debate the prospect of the threat being one of the Nazgûl a bit more thoroughly. The divergent views of the guests will continuously clash with Saruman's refusal to take immediate action. At some point, in the midst of the heated exchange, things are inevitably to end abruptly, with Saruman overruling (with legitimacy) the other members of the council. Obviously, the duration of the very debate has no boundaries at all; we can freely prolong it as our will commands.

The_Necromancer0

• Edain Team
  • Beschützer des verbotenen Weihers
  • There is evil there that does not sleep
« Antwort #31 am: 7. Mär 2017, 23:28 »
My research for valid arguments lead me deeper than ever within the Middle Earth lore and into the Unfinished Tales. Once I got there, a couple paragraphs and sections caught my eyes and the seemed as though they could be interesting additions to the RPG. I looked through most of the text but only ended up finding one section that I found could be used directly in the RPG. Although there was quite a lot on Galadriel (and Celeborn), the Quest for Erebor, the Hunt for the One Ring and Disaster of the Gladden Fields (death of Isildur).
( Link to PDF )

Gandalf, Saruman and the Shire

This talks more of the dissent between Saruman and Gandalf where we can see Saruman mock Gandalf for his us of pipe weed and Gandalf let off a couple ambiguous rings of smoke. I must admit, I wasn't sure how canon these were since this Gandalf was not the one I grew up knowing but nonetheless I'm sure this part could be used in the Gandalf or Saruman POV.

Come chat Edain on Discord: https://discord.gg/CMhkeb8
Questions on the Mod? Visit the Official Wiki: http://edain.wikia.com/

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #32 am: 12. Mär 2017, 01:49 »
Thank you for providing us with this very precious insight, Necro. I knew about Gandalf's metaphorical rings of smoke, but I had never got through the details of that moment in the Unfinished Tales, alongside the other aspects concerning the bitterness between the two Istari (with Saruman feeling most of that resentment, of course). You are surely free to make usage of these little pieces, Necro; I can't see any defect in that and our whole work will certainly benefit from these secondary sides of the lore.

As I read those words, the opinion I had been coming up with, in regards of this kind of lore, was greatly reinforced: it's always great to analyse the difference between these successive additions and the rougher lore of the Silmarillion, which, regardless of its brevity and obscurity, kind of constitutes the origin of Tolkien's vision and the main fundamental pillars which his saga is built on. Paramount themes that are regarded as customary and pervasive, given their recurrence in the vastness of the very lore. I therefore suppose we could set the limits of whatever addition, so that those prime principles are not contradicted in any way. For example, I and Fine decided to accept only the earliest version of Galadriel's history (narrated in the Silmarillion), entailing her joining the rebellion of the Noldor for her malice-free longing for power in Middle-earth, surviving the deadly journey through the Helcaraxë and meeting with Celeborn (a Sindarin prince) in Doriath.

The original portrait of the Silmarillion has always fascinated me for a few reasons, the most important of which consisting of the holistic approach of the narration, as it deals with all pivotal topics during the eras of Arda. An ancient, primordial and mythical conception that embodies the generalities of this universe. I thus feel that some late modifications of Tolkien himself or of his own son seem to alter the original essence of the mentioned properties. What do you think about it? I myself am a quite speculative/antiquity-minded person and a kind of law-guy too; henceforth, that explains quite exhaustively why I like to consider the Silmarillion a sort of mythical ensemble of tales, which sets the imperative rules that ought to be taken into account and determines the nature of the whole construction, as a constitution would do for a country  ;)

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #33 am: 12. Mär 2017, 16:22 »
Zitat
Now the Shadow grew ever greater, and the hearts of Elrond and Mithrandir darkened. Therefore on a time Mithrandir at great peril went again to Dol Guldur and the pits of the Sorcerer, and he discovered the truth of his fears, and escaped. And returning to Elrond he said:
‘True, alas, is our guess. This is not one of the Úlairi, as many have long supposed. It is Sauron himself who has taken shape again and now grows apace; and he is gathering again all the Rings to his hand; and he seeks ever for news of the One, and of the Heirs of Isildur, if they live still on earth.’
And Elrond answered: ‘In the hour that Isildur took the Ring and would not surrender it, this doom was wrought, that Sauron should return.’
‘Yet the One was lost,' said Mithrandir, ‘and while it still lies hid, we can master the Enemy, if we gather our strength and tarry not too long.'
Then the White Council was summoned; and Mithrandir urged them to swift deeds, but Curunír spoke against him, and counselled them to wait yet and to watch.

‘For I believe not,’ said he, ‘that the One will ever be found again in Middle-earth. Into Anduin it fell, and long ago, I deem, it was rolled to the Sea. There it shall lie until the end, when all this world is broken and the deeps are removed.'
Therefore naught was done at that time, though Elrond's heart misgave him, and he said to Mithrandir:
'Nonetheless I forbode that the One will yet be found, and then war will arise again, and in that war this Age will be ended. Indeed in a second darkness it will end, unless some strange chance deliver us that my eyes cannot see.’
'Many are the strange chances of fee world,’ said Mithrandir, 'and help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter.'
J.R.R. Tolkien - The Silmarillion: Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #34 am: 12. Mär 2017, 16:47 »
So, having a look at what our 'bible' tells us, we're more or less following the guidelines of the Silmarillion, with the sole exception that Gandalf didn't feel (in our game) to reveal everything he had faced in Dol Guldur to Saruman; even though Galadriel has knowledge of the real state of things, Saruman is thus given the scope for convincing the other guests that the menace might be one of the Nazgûl and for delaying possible immediate counter-measures from the same council.

I therefore believe we should take advantage of this ambiguous scenario of said/unsaid truths that has created among the participants of the assembly (with Gandalf and Galadriel siding with each other, obviously), with the objective of getting each of us to deal with the lost lore of the Rings of Power and to augment the liveliness of the relative debate. In the end, when we deem necessary to end the meeting, Saruman too will have admitted the return of Sauron and will have, though, imposed in the meantime his will to wait and linger.

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #35 am: 6. Apr 2017, 23:23 »
As you may have noticed, the White Council is making an inquiry into the lore of the Rings of Power. Galadriel has narrated the brief generalities of the Three; Elrond has told the fate of the Seven. So, according to my plan, Gandalf should thus go forward with the sad story of the Nine and with how their bearers became the deadliest servants/slaves of the Lord of the Rings. At that point, Saruman shall conclude the overview of the Rings of Power by describing the characteristics of the One Ring. It is exactly around the One Ring that the discussion is to get heated, revealing the ambiguous interest of the White Wizard and making the distrust of some of the members really tangible. In itself, the inquiry is a quite significant event, since never before had the Wise discussed about the Rings of Power in such a detailed way.

At the beginning of each explanatory post, don't forget to add these GIFs and to put them at the centre with the proper feature.

Something tells me that Necro will be more than glad to come up with a presentation on the One Ring  :D

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #36 am: 21. Apr 2017, 15:33 »
I would never rush a contribution to be made for such pivotal matters, but we need Gandalf's overview on the Nine Rings, so that Necro may reach the heart of the debate via the introduction of the One Ring into the inquiry. And that would be the first time in which the Wise deal with Sauron's artefact in a so direct (and preoccupied) of a manner.

If you give me way, I shall momentarily take the role of the Grey Pilgrim.

Fine

• Wächter der Veste
  • Ich hab da ein ganz mieses Gefühl bei der Sache...
« Antwort #37 am: 21. Apr 2017, 15:45 »
I got you covered. Sorry for the delay!

edit: thanks for adding the picture :)
« Letzte Änderung: 21. Apr 2017, 16:11 von Fine »
RPG:

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #38 am: 21. Apr 2017, 16:12 »
Many thanks, Fine! We may now continue with the course of the assembly.

EDIT: Never mind  ;)

Fine

• Wächter der Veste
« Antwort #39 am: 26. Apr 2017, 13:34 »
You are simly too fast for me, Walküre ^^

I just read your post:

''The hour is late, unfortunately. If we are to elaborate a military action, it's imperative that a mobilisation of forces be called now. Too many packs of Orcs lurk among the ruins of Dol Guldur''.

And then I thought: Hey, Gandalf could chime in about that. So I wrote the following:

Zitat
"I agree, noble Lady," said Gandalf. "We must take action now, before it is too late. The orcish presence stationed at Dol Guldur will only ever grow stronger the longer we wait. Let us call upon our allies and gather a host strong enough to sweep through the Enemy's defences, cleansing this dark place once and for all. We must send word to the Woodland Realm, the inhabitants of the Anduin Vale and maybe even the Riders of Rohan. And of course, the Galadhrim of the Golden Wood will surely aid us, if their Lord and Lady suggest it, I reckon. I shall seek out my old friend Radagast the Brown, for he does not dwell far fraom the Hill of Sorcery and must know of the darkness that lingers there. And when all is ready, we must make our move. Time is short, even for the long-lived Firstborn amongst us! Lady Galadriel is right - the hour is late, and it will grow even later (and thus, darker) if we do not act. Send word to all who would lend their aid in the attack on Dol Guldur, and send it now. That is my advice."

When I wanted to submit that, I got the message that a new post had since been written. So I guess my text does not really fit right now...
RPG:

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #40 am: 26. Apr 2017, 13:50 »
I apologise. I thought I could have Gandalf add a little piece to the discussion, so that I was able to follow a precise course of events. My idea was that, given that the council had just finished its inquiry into the Rings of Power, Gandalf would then remind everyone of the threat of the One Ring still existing in Middle-earth. Fact that links to the erstwhile debate about the Ring, reinforces the need for an attack to be launched and increases Saruman's irritation. The meeting is exactly supposed to get heated around the One Ring and the chief's reluctance to act (and we know why). Saruman is to show his evident and suspicious interest in the One.

There's no problem though. I will add a remark from Galadriel, just to connect to what you wanted to write. Then, that text of yours will be simply included in the exchange.

Sorry for the rapid development, but I was particularly inspired  xD

Fine

• Wächter der Veste
« Antwort #41 am: 26. Apr 2017, 14:24 »
No worries; who am I to stand in the way of poetic inspiration?

I am glad though that my post is now not entirely in vain. :)
RPG:

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #42 am: 7. Jul 2017, 00:41 »
Since I would never force anyone to make a contribution, because each contribution should come from sincere inspiration, if you give me consent, I would politely ask permission to play Gandalf and Saruman to have the council continue. I am obviously to base those characters' words on lore-accurate facts and on the style you have chosen so far. This is just to know if I may take things in my hands, should a hiatus occur or if I would like the story to take a defined course. I'm of course planning to add more elements to the narration, yet minor, if compared to the main structure of the very thread.

As I know how daunting RPG-writing could be, I would really like to know your opinion. If there are aspects you don't deem proper, don't forget that it is always possible to go back and rewrite :)

Fine

• Wächter der Veste
« Antwort #43 am: 7. Jul 2017, 12:15 »
Sure, go ahead. :)
RPG:

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #44 am: 7. Jul 2017, 14:14 »
Thank for your consent. The debate of the council will thus continue. I will notify you all, should important happenings take place in the story, so much relevant that your counsel is needed.