[en] The English RPG Forum > RPG Discussions, Feedback and Proposals

Conversations in Doriath: Discussion and Feedback

(1/7) > >>

Walküre:
This is the relative discussion topic of the soon-to-be-established game that concerns the canonical and pivotal conversations between Galadriel and Melian, while the former was a guest of Elwë and the Maia in Doriath, the millenary guarded realm of Beleriand.

After a first visit, Galadriel was mesmerised by the hidden and protected essence of that legendary realm, whose those said properties would later be recognisable both in Lothlórien (magical defence) and in the Halls of Thranduil (hidden halls and caverns); she also got very much enchanted by the powers of Queen Melian and her sacred rule over her people. These were the main reasons of the Noldorin princess' decision to stay in Doriath as a stable guest (she would also have her first encounter with Celeborn too, being him a Sindarin prince at the court of the king). Unlike the Houses of Fëanor and Fingolfin, the sons of Finarfin were friendly welcomed due to their common blood ties with the Sindarin royal family: Finarfin's spouse is Eärwen, daughter of Elwë's brother Olwë (king of the Teleri of Alqualondë).

The conversations of such two mighty characters were always wide-ranging and deeply emotional, encompassing both the sad fate of the Noldor in Middle-earth and their memories of their past in Valinor. The farsighted Maia had realised, in time, that Galadriel and the Noldor as a whole were carrying a heavy burden, and so she managed to have the princess of Tirion tell her about the darkening of the Blessed Realm, the theft of the Silmarils and the Noldor's arrival in Middle-earth to reclaim them. Galadriel, though, had not had the heart to reveal the other obscure side of the story which referred to the infamous Kinslaying and the consequent Noldor's exile from Aman. That aspect would be unveiled after some time, provoking the wrath of Thingol as he discovered that many of his own kin had been massacred by the madness of Fëanor. Galadriel would nonetheless be permitted to remain, given that her presence was source of appreciation and joy among the people of Doriath, and that she had by then become the beloved scholar of the Queen.

A Noldorin delegation is welcomed at the doors of Menegroth

Participants allowed: DieWalküre and Fine

Fine:
Alright, before we get startet we should gather up the facts we will need.

When the main host of the Noldor arrived, having crossed the Helcaraxë in the far North, the sun rose for the first time (thus, starting the First Year of the Sun, FA 1). I think we can safely set the first visit of Galadriel and her brothers to Doriath within the first years of the First Age. At that time, two battles had been fought in Beleriand, the most recent one being the one in which Fëanor perished. The forces of Angband are held back by the surrounding Noldor realms and the land is at peace.

Concerning the more practical matters: I do not yet know which role you, Walküre, would like to assign to me (though I have an elaborate guess in mind), but I'm fine with either choice. I think it would be best if you started the game with an introducing post, like you did with the White Council, to set the scene. Topics will come up as we get into the actual discussions, I'm sure.

Walküre:
Yes, I agree. We should start from the very first visit and then continue to explore Galadriel's long permanence in Doriath at the court of Thingol and Melian. If you share my view, I think you should pick up Melian's role. As much as I would love to play an Ainurin character, I am personally more acquainted with Galadriel's psychology and I really admire her 'wilder' characterisation back in the Elder Days (after her ambitious and fiery heart had led her to choose the exile from Aman).

I will then proceed with opening th new game as soon as I can do so. I would say that the first posts could relate to the two characters' thoughts; while Galadriel is riding to Doriath and Melian waiting for the guests (reminiscing some events or talking briefly to Elwë). Today I am a bit busy though, and it's also a quite interesting coincidence: I too have to pay a visit to my relatives, although not in Doriath of course  :D

I'll see what I can do. It might be not before this evening or tomorrow  :)

VectorMaximus:
I'm not sure I would be much use in this one walk. You know how my heart is tied far more closely to the Feanoreans and Fingolfineans than is perhaps good to play a role in this, being first and foremost concerning the Sindar and House of Finarfin. But if you have a part you want me to play, just tell me.

Fine:

--- Zitat von: DieWalküre am 13. Sep 2016, 15:09 ---I'll see what I can do. It might be not before this evening or tomorrow  :)

--- Ende Zitat ---

There is no need to hurry, just do it when you get to it :)
In the meantime, I will try and prepare for this ambitious role. You have already given me the perfect starting point for Melian; a conversation with Elwë about matters of importance to their realm as well as the new arrivals drawing near to Doriath.

Navigation

[0] Themen-Index

[#] Nächste Seite

Zur normalen Ansicht wechseln