19. Mär 2024, 04:38 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Conversations in Doriath: Discussion and Feedback  (Gelesen 15079 mal)

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
Re: Conversations in Doriath: Discussion and Feedback
« Antwort #15 am: 11. Okt 2016, 23:14 »
Ok, Galadriel shall then remain in Doriath for a while and get more acquainted with the everyday life of the realm. She will finally reveal the atrocities of Alqualondë when she feels ready to do it, even though Melian will get closer and closer to the truth as she explores deeply the depths of Galadriel's mind. If I'm not wrong, it's exactly Melian who 'convinces' her to get rid of that heavy burden.

As it's narrated in the Silmarillion, Galadriel nonetheless tells the Maia a part of the real state of things: the terrible end of the Noon of Valinor and the theft of the Silmarils. What Fëanor committed is unveiled, as you wrote, later and it so becomes the cause of the Sindar's hostility towards the Houses of Fëanor and Fingolfin.

Another aspect. When is Galadriel to meet the love of her life? Should Celeborn appear in the story, in your opinion, before or after the suffered confession of the Princess? Honestly, I would have her begin to interact with him once she's freed from the sorrows and guilt (though not directly responsible) of the Kinslaying. What do you think?

Fine

• Wächter der Veste
  • Ich hab da ein ganz mieses Gefühl bei der Sache...
« Antwort #16 am: 13. Okt 2016, 08:01 »
Another aspect. When is Galadriel to meet the love of her life? Should Celeborn appear in the story, in your opinion, before or after the suffered confession of the Princess? Honestly, I would have her begin to interact with him once she's freed from the sorrows and guilt (though not directly responsible) of the Kinslaying. What do you think?

Yes, I agree (as usual^^), it would be better for her to Encounter Celeborn only after she has relieved herself of the burden she carried with her from Valinor.
RPG:

Fine

• Wächter der Veste
« Antwort #17 am: 19. Okt 2016, 08:19 »
I've got to admit that I am, sort of, stuck right now, and am in need of a brliiant idea on how to continue the conversation. I will of course answer question you had Galadriel ask Melian but I am wondering about where the conversation should go from there. I do not think it is already time for Galadriel to reveal the true nature of the doom that hangs above the Noldorin People, even though Melian may sense it. Do you have a suggestion?
RPG:

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #18 am: 19. Okt 2016, 11:46 »
Yes, her revelation should come later; not before her brothers have left Doriath for sure.

Zitat
''[...]May I ask thee, my Queen, this: does nostalgia ever make thee long to behold the wonders of the Blessed Realm one last time? The evergreen fields lit once by the kind silver of Ibrīniðilpathānezel or the colossal palaces of Valimar?''

Even though Melian has surely realised that the sudden coming of the Sun and the Moon was due to some reasons, she doesn't obviously know what really happened during the Darkening of Valinor. So, while she reminisces her memory of the Blessed Realm, she could ask Galadriel what that 'once' exactly means. She won't tell her the whole story, but only the main events.

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #19 am: 21. Okt 2016, 05:51 »
Needless to say, once the two get to know each other better and deeply, we will then be allowed to use briefer sentences and less solemn words. That will mark the difference (and evolution) between the new life of Galadriel and the whole ceremonial atmosphere when the Noldor first arrived in Doriath. It will thus be easier for us to develop that RPG work and explore more sides.

Fine

• Wächter der Veste
« Antwort #20 am: 21. Okt 2016, 10:42 »
Yes, that is what I tried to do, to have them get to know each other better. Even though it may seem that Melian is criticising Nerwen a little bit here it is mostly done in order for her to better understand what happened and how Nerwen is feeling.

RPG:

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #21 am: 21. Okt 2016, 11:01 »
Even though it may seem that Melian is criticising Nerwen a little bit here it is mostly done in order for her to better understand what happened and how Nerwen is feeling.

Yes, I noticed that quite probing attitude of Melian (it's what happens in the Silmarillion either). It is nonetheless what I expected: she's naturally worried and wants to offer Galadriel a genuine support. I will think about the answer during the afternoon and structure it so that Galadriel begins to disclose her heart to the Maia.

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #22 am: 31. Okt 2016, 10:31 »
I'm a little bit pondering what will be Galadriel's response. Instead of a long and systematic story-telling activity, what if she began with not so specific sentences and, then, when Melian remarks her own sincere will to know the truth, she eventually started giving details of the happenings in Valinor? I guess that will represent Galadriel's initial uneasiness, with everything getting warmer and more comfortable once she frees herself from that burden.

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #23 am: 6. Nov 2016, 15:19 »
Sorry for the long posts, but Galadriel owed some explanations to Melian  :P

After what will be the Maia's response, I thought about slowing the progress of the game (the visit) down a bit, via a kind of clever means: what would you say if the Noldor, Melian, Thingol and their court were to organise a welcoming banquet in the halls of Menegroth?

Since the very archaic literature (Iliad and Odyssey, for example), banquets are precious occasions (and a smart narrative solution) to let each character interact with the others and tell stories about itself. In our particular context, there will be other interesting activities to involve people in.

Fine

• Wächter der Veste
« Antwort #24 am: 7. Nov 2016, 08:44 »
I am thoroughly impressed by Galadriel's long and detailed speech, very very well done!

The banquet idea sounds excellent. When I get to it, I will have a Messenger interrupt our two conversing ladies (or something along the lines of that) to inform them of the upcoming feast, and then wen can send them there.
RPG:

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #25 am: 7. Nov 2016, 09:31 »
Ok, so be it. Messengers are always smart narrative solutions as well. We should only arrange for the main settings of the feast and then get everything to start. For example, if the banquet ought to be held during the morning or at night, and the main characteristics of the whole context.

According to what I pictured in mind so far, I thought about a nocturnal banquet in a quite intimate environment. But I'm fully for the alternative idea either: a royal feast in grand style, which we could easily set in the night anyway and keep it reserved. Something akin to this typology of banquets  xD

I guess Elwë wouldn't mind at all giving the Noldor that kind of welcoming, in the great halls of his palace lit by hundreds of torches (or Elven lamps).

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #26 am: 13. Nov 2016, 01:45 »
Ok, it seems that we have chosen to set the banquet in a more reserved context. Now, leave aside minor descriptions and details, we should ponder a bit about the matters of the friendly and convivial talks that are to be the centre of our next posts.

I didn't exactly think about structured proposals yet, though it's desirable that the common tone be predominantly informal; this doesn't mean, though, that smart references to events in Beleriand or to the wider lore should be necessarily forbidden. It's quite the opposite: clever elements will make the scenario more actual and iconic (in the sense of being inserted in precise historical contexts). Just to throw around some examples, the Noldor could ask something about the people inhabiting Beleriand and their lore.

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #27 am: 18. Nov 2016, 14:02 »
Now that the banquet got lively, I came up with this idea: what if each of the royal participants, the two monarchs and the Noldor, sang one poem about a chosen theme? As a sort of 'poetry contest', which is something recurrent in many iconic tales. In this precise case, we would just explore what Galadriel and Melian have to say, without giving the whole situation a competitive tone. Sung verses are too a means via which Elves convey their emotions and deal with their past.

Obviously, if you prefer to continue with other types of interaction, I will follow that typology of narration  :)

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #28 am: 5. Mär 2017, 01:31 »
I shall continue with the development of the game in due time. As we decided, the banquet is to go on and provide us with valuable opportunities, in which the participants might share tales, poems, chants or wisdom with each other. The common and renowned archetype of banquets in classical literature. If you have other alternatives in mind, I will be more than open to different propositions  :)

Fine

• Wächter der Veste
« Antwort #29 am: 5. Mär 2017, 15:02 »
I am fine with your proposition, go ahead and carry out your plans as proposed :)
RPG: