28. Mär 2024, 14:35 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Arwen's new spell  (Gelesen 4513 mal)

Secret Keeper

• Thain des Auenlandes
Arwen's new spell
« am: 7. Aug 2016, 19:15 »
I see that Arwen & Glorfindel have (almost) the same ability - "noro lin asfaloth" . I don't think it's a good idea so this is my proposal :

Since Arwen took Glorfindel's role in FOTR, i would keep this ability for Glorfindel and change Arwen's. Glorfindel is also a tank hero, so boost to his armour is very fitting.

I came along this quote from book: "A gift I will give you. For I am the daughter of Elrond. I shall not go with him now when he departs to the Havens; for mine is the choice of Luthien, and as she so I have chosen, both the sweet and the bitter. But in my stead you shall go, Ring-bearer, when the time comes, and if you then desire it. If your hurts grieve you still and the memory or your burden is heavy, then you may pass into the West, until all your wounds and weariness are healed. But wear this now in memory of Elfstone and Evenstar with whom your life has been woven!'And she took a white gem like a star that lay upon her breast hanging upon a silver chain, and she set the chain around Frodo's neck. 'When the memory of the fear and the darkness troubles you,' she said, 'this will bring you aid."

So i would like to build a passive spell around these Arwen's words. Heroes around her facing troubles and fear ( a.k.a loosing health points ) would look at arwen and get a "gift" of inspiration.  They would get a boost to armour when below some % of their HP, and get knockback when near death. Exact numbers doesn't mather now.

What do you think? :)

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
Re: Arwen's new spell
« Antwort #1 am: 7. Aug 2016, 19:58 »
It's true, the whole 'horse motive' is present both for Arwen and Glorfindel too. But, along with Glorfindel being legitimately portrayed that way as he is in the books, Arwen is also (mainly, as the majority of the heroes in the game) based on the LOTR trilogy, where her iconic ride is certainly one of the most recognisable sequences out of all the three chapters. Should she be deprived of such feature, I guess her concept would lack a very significant trait; not to mention the utility of the said ability in dangerous situations that may put her life in danger.

In fact, connected to her role in the overall gameplay design, the new power you proposed would be definitely redundant and unnecessary in my opinion: Arwen's own supportive properties are well enhanced with the existing Influence of the Evening Star spell.

Of course, the relevance of Arwen's gift to Frodo is prominent in the lore, but I can't honestly see how that could be implemented with justified purposes in the game, without disrupting mechanics that already work quite well  :)

Secret Keeper

• Thain des Auenlandes
« Antwort #2 am: 7. Aug 2016, 20:17 »
The whole chase scene with her and nazguls was playing in front of my eyes while i was writing it. :) It's iconic, but so was the water horses and they are gone for a long time now.

Edain is just too good to have 2 very good and favourite heroes sharing the same ability. Arwen suffers from having one ability ( heal ) that surpass others imo. Atleast taking a look at her performance would not be a bad idea.

kmogon

• Wanderer des Alten Waldes
  • "They stole it from us ! My precious Curse them!"
« Antwort #3 am: 7. Aug 2016, 21:11 »
Aditionally it's good idea, I think, to exchange her blessed banner with erlond's restoring skills skill - it would highlight her role which is hero support and give erlond more units support abilities couse he is commander of noldors and his 7 lvl skill is in some way out of place.

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #4 am: 7. Aug 2016, 21:59 »
Edain is just too good to have 2 very good and favourite heroes sharing the same ability.

But it's equally too good to have one significant spell and an ability that exactly do the same thing as well. I would rather consider the whole situation in these terms: either you have two similar abilities that nonetheless fit well for the two heroes (lore and gameplay speaking), or you opt to deprive Arwen of a useful feature and to give her an ability that contrasts with the very conceptual spell we can already use via the spellbook.

Thus, it's not that I deem the latter possibility impossible, but I believe we had better choose the solution that kind of satisfies the majority of the game's elements involved, and that doesn't risk to create further issues  :)

Aditionally it's good idea, I think, to exchange her blessed banner with erlond's restoring skills skill - it would highlight her role which is hero support and give erlond more units support abilities couse he is commander of noldors and his 7 lvl skill is in some way out of place.

That wouldn't be very wise. The restoration ability is one of the most powerful and effective powers a hero could ever be granted to, and it thus consequently belongs to the leader of Imladris. Needless to say, Arwen would become objectively too overpowered if she were to have another supportive ability of that magnitude (combined with her healing power and the spell).

Furthermore, the restoration has always been an extremely conceptual characteristic of Elrond since the very BFME2. The Lord of Imladris is mainly a unit supporter, and he exactly displays this through his perfect supportive abilities (that contemplate restoring features too). The whole healing and restoring theme is absolutely central in Rivendell and in Vilya's inner nature too; so that Imladris was truly made a mortal reflection of Eressëa or even Valinor itself, being a place of pure peace and serenity. I personally regard these fundamental lore facts as immensely paramount for the restoration ability to remain in the Edain Mod.

Garlodur

• Gastwirt zu Bree
  • In Moria, in Khazad-Dûm
« Antwort #5 am: 31. Aug 2016, 01:26 »
Can I suggest to make some differences between the powers of Arwen and Glorfindel in that case?

If I remember correctly it gives them both a significant speed buff and a slight armour buff, but please tell me if I'm wrong.
Arwen's ability Noro Lim, Asfaloth could integrate partly her nature as a hero supporter by given it the effect of giving a boost in movement speed to nearby friendly heroes as she passes by. This could go instead of the armour boost, to make up for balance.
Glorfindel's ability could, however, focus more on his role as a tank, therefore increasing his armour slighlty during the ability, as far as this is not yet the case.

Simply to spice things up and differentiate two unarguably iconic ability sets. ;)

Walküre

• Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #6 am: 1. Sep 2016, 13:41 »
Glorfindel's ability could, however, focus more on his role as a tank, therefore increasing his armour slighlty during the ability, as far as this is not yet the case.

This is already the case. Glorfindel gets an armour enhancement as Arwen does with her own ability. Besides, your idea sounds interesting as it focuses mainly on supportive properties and speed (the latter would convey the whole 'fleeing theme' of hers from the Fellowship of the Ring even better).

Nevertheless, one objection might be that the ability is already comprehensive of speed and that she necessarily needs that additional defence to compensate her other features. Adding another supporting trait might also make her too much advantageous (taking into account Arwen's abilities combined with Influence of the Evening Star). I'm anyway very curious to know if other people want to share other insights on the matter  :)

Linhir

• Gastwirt zu Bree
  • Inga mektar e Endamar.
« Antwort #7 am: 29. Sep 2016, 20:06 »
I agree that Arwen's skill should be changed into something else, so... maybe it should be Aragorn's (as heir to thorne of Gondor) summon, which will also grant dunedains option to change into grey company units (limited to 3 or 4 battalions) which will be stronger, faster etc. than regular dunedain units? Aragorn's apperance could also give some small buffs to Halbarad and Twins. ;)

kmogon

• Wanderer des Alten Waldes
  • "They stole it from us ! My precious Curse them!"
« Antwort #8 am: 29. Sep 2016, 22:52 »
That is not possible. Aragon already appears in Imladris faction as ring hero so having two Aragons wouldn't be lore accurate ;)

Linhir

• Gastwirt zu Bree
  • Inga mektar e Endamar.
« Antwort #9 am: 30. Sep 2016, 01:44 »
Yeah! My bad! I totaly forgot about fellowship. I don't use them often so it might slip out of my memory. :/