28. Mär 2024, 11:02 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Pages for the Buildings  (Gelesen 12295 mal)

The_Necromancer0

• Beschützer des verbotenen Weihers
  • There is evil there that does not sleep
Pages for the Buildings
« am: 6. Nov 2016, 14:20 »
This is something I have been thinking about for a while but I'm stuck so I'm looking for feedback to make it into a complete idea. Basically I've been debating whether or not we should create individual pages for each building in the mod or whether we should keep them as they are on the faction pages, moving them to individual pages does represent some advantages and disadvantages along with that you can check out the sample page created here.

Creating individual pages for each buildings will allow the wiki to expand, displaying more information and displaying the in-game images of these buildings at different levels. This is a section in which the wiki has been lacking because there is just no space anymore on faction pages for anymore information.

At the moment I don't know how to categorise each section, I've simply put all the information known about the building. This includes everything it can do and all the abilities that affect it.

Now it's just a matter of creating a format for these pages and then getting to work. Thoughts?

P.S: I've already created a infobox template for the buildings but suggest any changes you feel necessary.
Come chat Edain on Discord: https://discord.gg/CMhkeb8
Questions on the Mod? Visit the Official Wiki: http://edain.wikia.com/

Julio229

• Edain Betatesting
  • Gesandter der Freien Völker
  • King Of the Misty Mountains
Re: Pages for the Buildings
« Antwort #1 am: 6. Nov 2016, 14:43 »
I agree with making building pages, it will allow to give more information on specific buildings, or even to put strategy tips on how to use it in the different stages of the game (When it is advisable to buy Library upgrades in Imladris, for example). I thought of suggesting this, but I didn't know if it would be good, but I'm glad you had the idea too!

Gandalf7000

• Heiler von Imladris
  • I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me.
« Antwort #2 am: 6. Nov 2016, 16:08 »
We can try this out and see how it goes. What I'm concerned about is Lorien since their buildings are very close to each other and I'm afraid we'll not be able to get a clear shot of each building.
And if this fails we could create a page for each faction buidings ('Rohan Buildings', 'Gondor Buidings') and write all info there.

Trondheim9

• Thain des Auenlandes
  • I give hope to men. I keep none for myself.
« Antwort #3 am: 6. Nov 2016, 16:22 »
I think building pages are a great idea.  Categories could include resource production, unit production, defense, support (well, heroic statue, etc), upgrades, settlement, outpost, etc.  It might seem a bit ambitious, but little by little.

OakenShield224

• Elbischer Pilger
  • Welcome, my sister-sons, to the Kingdom of Erebor!
« Antwort #4 am: 6. Nov 2016, 17:54 »
I like the idea of having some form of page about the buildings. Would each type of building (resource, production, citadel, defensive/support, upgrade) have a different layout or set of subheadings?

The_Necromancer0

« Antwort #5 am: 7. Nov 2016, 13:46 »
I think at the moment it's more likely that all the building will have a general layout but that will be filled differently, but if you have any ideas for different types of layouts make sure to post them, I'm still not sure myself how exactly the page is going to look like.

What I suggest is that you all pick a building from a faction with different purpose (recruitment, research, external build plots, ect...) and create a page to be able to test any ideas you have on the subject, you can also edit the Tribute Camp with any idea you have. I'll also add some more stuff I had ideas for and then feedback here.

I think the categories you suggested Trond are a great idea, categorising them both generally and specifically (in small groups rather than only as a "buildings" is a great idea, it'll also fill the navigation bar more, it's beginning to look a bit empty since the clean up.

Trondheim9

• Thain des Auenlandes
« Antwort #6 am: 7. Nov 2016, 16:35 »
I just finished creating the Dwarven Hall of Warriors page.  Let me know what you think or if I missed something.  I tried to think through it and put the most important details.  I've also tweaked the "Building" template to be able to implement it better with all building types.  For the units that you can recruit at the Hall of Warriors, I just copied and pasted the tables from the faction pages with a few modifications.  I felt this was the best method, but I'm open to any suggestions or feedback (on that and everything else I did, of course).

http://edain.wikia.com/wiki/Hall_of_Warriors

Gandalf7000

• Heiler von Imladris
« Antwort #7 am: 7. Nov 2016, 18:11 »
I just created Mallorn Tree page and I must say I give up my previous idea about the page of each faction buidings because then the pages are going to be waaay too long. Go and check out how much text there is in Mallorn Tree page.

Julio229

• Edain Betatesting
« Antwort #8 am: 7. Nov 2016, 18:18 »
With economy upgrades for the resource buildings, we could have them on a separate page so we don't need to add it in all the pages, I think.

Trondheim9

• Thain des Auenlandes
« Antwort #9 am: 7. Nov 2016, 18:33 »
With economy upgrades for the resource buildings, we could have them on a separate page so we don't need to add it in all the pages, I think.

We could also make templates for these economy upgrades to make them easier to insert.

Julio229

• Edain Betatesting
« Antwort #10 am: 7. Nov 2016, 20:32 »

We could also make templates for these economy upgrades to make them easier to insert.

I agree, that is a good idea!

OakenShield224

• Elbischer Pilger
  • Welcome, my sister-sons, to the Kingdom of Erebor!
« Antwort #11 am: 7. Nov 2016, 21:50 »
I've just made a basic page for the Gondor Well. One thing I'm unsure on is what to write if the building has no upgrades for it. Would a template need to be made for pages like this?

Gandalf7000

• Heiler von Imladris
« Antwort #12 am: 7. Nov 2016, 22:07 »

I agree, that is a good idea!
Agree, definetly good idea.

Zitat von: OakenShield224
I've just made a basic page for the Gondor Well. One thing I'm unsure on is what to write if the building has no upgrades for it. Would a template need to be made for pages like this?
Yes I think that a bit modified Upgrades template would fit for this.

The_Necromancer0

« Antwort #13 am: 8. Nov 2016, 08:57 »
Good Job everybody, a lot of feedback so far. Let me sort through it all and see if we can group everything into a single layout. Here is the first draft of what will soon be the official building layout:
Building Infobox - this will have all the possible fields but only those relevant to the building will have to be filled out.

Quote - try to keep it proportional to the page size (the one on the Well page is too big in my opinion, at the moment). Something nice that summarizes the lore or just the reason behind the building.

First Paragraph - just jot down a few words about the building, something that describes maybe its physical appearance or just a summary of its purpose.

Upgrades - just a simple template for the resource upgrades this will only list the upgrades that affect this building directly. If it doesn't have any upgrades use the no upgrade template.

Function - this will either list the units it can train, the discount it provides or list the upgrades that can be purchased that don't affect the building.

Level Up - because of the diverse and unique level up system that the Edain Mod has, I think this is a key section to have. Just a simple paragraph which explains how you can level up the system (if by upgrading at the building then refer to the upgrades section.)

Strategy Section - This should explain what strategy the building is part of and what it can be used for, in addition it should be explained at what location the building can be best used.

Thoughts on the layout?

Gandalf7000

• Heiler von Imladris
« Antwort #14 am: 8. Nov 2016, 11:01 »
Agree.