28. Mär 2024, 23:51 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: On Elven Woods and Tainted Land and tree coverage of the map.  (Gelesen 2810 mal)

Éomer Éadig

• Bilbos Festgast
Dear Edain team and players,

I would like to make a suggestion concerning the Elven Woods spell and its effect on trees.

As it currently stands, casting the Elven Woods spell from the spellbook will effectively remove all trees from the target area as soon as the spell runs out. This can be seen in the picture below:
http://imgur.com/a/zZsNS

This of course poses a problem for factions making use of trees for cover, such as Lothórien or Imladris. I would now suggest to leave all trees after the spell has run out. This would also include the trees that are spawned by the Elven Woods spell, thus creating new lasting forests.

The reason that I make this suggestion is the fact that evil factions tend to gain map advantage over time, as their powers (Tainted Land, Devastation) remove trees instantly, removing cover for stealth units of good factions. Trees cannot be replanted however, as the Elven Woods spell will only grant temporary cover, but will cause deforestation after a small amount of time. Not removing the trees after the Elven Woods spell ran out, would give good factions a means of countering this by creating more permanently wooded areas.

It could also be seen as a power struggle over the nature of Middle-Earth between the Elves and Mordor, as there was between Lothlórien and Dol Guldur.

This was my plea for more forests in Middle-Earth, I hope you will take it into consideration.

With kind regards,

Éomer Éadig
« Letzte Änderung: 6. Jan 2018, 14:47 von Éomer Éadig »

Gandalf7000

• Heiler von Imladris
  • I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me.
I really like this idea. I support it.

Julio229

• Edain Betatesting
  • Gesandter der Freien Völker
  • King Of the Misty Mountains
If this is technically possible, I fully agree with it.

lahe95

• Thain des Auenlandes
If it's possible to make it happen, I'm supporting it!

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
I have to say, I quite favour this proposal for a few reasons. I would really like to have the properties of the Elven Wood spell enhanced at that extent and to see that whole environment-modification theme in the game: yes, both the Good and the Evil often challenge each other via altering the very nature of the battlefield. There might be a valuable strategic potential connected to this option. Obviously, we still need to know if the suggestion itself is technically viable, or if there are other plans for balance and strategy.

I think that this scenario would probably compel players to make usage of the spell more wisely, in conjunction with other risks and possibilities. If I remember correctly, there was something similar in the Edain Mod 3.8.1; wasn't Thranduil capable of summoning an Elven wood in a selected area? A wood which also provided you with a concealing mist. Surely, a much more evocative representation of enchanted Elven forests.

Canis carcharothias

• Thain des Auenlandes
I love this proposal. Right now, the loose tree coverage in the maps make stealth a not so useful ability. Also, this could allow us the oportunity to develop the stealth concept in the game, giving us the opportunity to think in new spells and abilities related to forests and/or stealth. Or even in general buffs/debuffs fighting in forests for different units or factions, adding another layer of strategy to the game.
But, is it technically possible?

NoldorSithLordsShipwright

• Gast
Re: On Elven Woods and Tainted Land and tree coverage of the map.
« Antwort #6 am: 30. Mär 2017, 12:33 »
This is a fairly old topic, but my idea seems relevant to this, so I thought I'd post it here.

Related to the above concerns regarding Elven Wood and the importance of trees to stealth units (which is very important to the faction), I have been toying with this idea, though I'm not aware of its feasibility.

Instead of being an active terrain-changing ability, it's passive and long term (and could function as Lothlorien's faction spell if that's not already been conceived).

The idea is simple in its concept: every X amount of time (5 minutes sounds good, but I'm not a game-balancer), each tree present in the map (maybe could include allied Mallorn Trees? and Huorns? And Ent Moots?) spawns another tree within Y radius.

This reforestation would be an excellent counter to devastation and other abilities that remove trees and steadily shape the terrain in Lothlorien's favor. This may necessitate the removal of the armor bonus for balancing purposes, but Lorien never really had emphasis on armor and more on stealth and guerrilla warfare.

While I personally don't think it fits as well with Imladris as it does with Lorien, this concept would be of immense benefit to the Dunedain of that faction if the ET decides to keep this ability there.

Let me know what you guys think.

EDIT: I quickly realized that this essentially has a doubling effect on the forests and that could get out of hand very, very quickly.

So here's my revised proposal: limit the tree growth to center around Mallorn Trees, Huorns, and Ent Moots with a new tree spawning about every three minutes.

I also came up with an interesting effect that could apply to the tree growth around the Mallorns, but it could likely be OP, so let me know.

The otherwise normal trees around the Mallorns share in the Mallorn's Melian effects, though perhaps with reduced radii/effects.
« Letzte Änderung: 30. Mär 2017, 14:27 von NoldorSithLordsShipwright »

Bilbo Backings

• Bilbos Festgast
  • "Bombur slept on with a smile on his fat face"
If technically possibly this is in my opinion a great idea!
"Now is the time for our esteemed Mr. Baggins, who has proved himself a good companion on our long road, and a hobbit full of courage and resource far exceeding his size, and if I may say so possessed of good luck far exceeding the usual allowance--now is the time for him to perform the service for which he was included in our Company, now is the time for him to earn his Reward." Thorin Oakenshield - JRR. Tolkien: The Hobbit p. 246