24. Apr 2024, 13:49 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Cosmetic details  (Gelesen 2777 mal)

The_ClocheFixer

• Bilbos Festgast
  • To Valhall sons of Odin!
Cosmetic details
« am: 4. Dez 2016, 13:52 »
Hello

First of all this perhaps not a really serious proposal in my eyes and perhaps even nitpicking ,but its still something I want to say, perhaps you can look to it when all the important work is done.

First off all the mod is ofcourse great, but in my eye's there are for now two little details, I know little, not important at all. But it would be nice to see it and I would change it myselfe if I could but I can't and I also don't have the time anymore to learn it :/

Its about the animations of the lorien warrior and the Gondor spearman. They are both really nice models but there animations don't look nice with their models in my eyes.

First of all the lorien warriors, the model looks great, but they don't have a shield, wich is good since that wouldn't fit. But they now have that one lame arm while fighting... Would it be possible to give them a two handed attack animation, perhaps Glorfindels, to stand out from the galadhrim, or just the standard two handed elves attack animations? Just to make the model complete?

With the Gondor spearman... Imo the spear is to long to have that bfme1 soldier of Rhun animation. Could they perhaps get a two handed animation, since they have the towergaurds and to make them different from the Arnor spearman. I know they have a shield, but perhaps they can carry those on their backs or perhaps even keep them on their arms but carry the shield higher on the arm, so they haver both their hands free? I'm sure they would look a lot better than, ready to spear a troll or some wargs

Its not much, not important or really game changing but I just wanted to say it and ask it. Could you perhaps look to it please, when you have time? Sometimes details can make a huge difference

I don't want to nitpick anymore, keep up the great work team!
A lady is never just NEVER to pretty for METAL!

Fredius

• Edain Betatesting
  • Galadhrim
  • It's good to be evil
Re: Cosmetic details
« Antwort #1 am: 4. Dez 2016, 15:12 »
With the Gondor spearman... Imo the spear is to long to have that bfme1 soldier of Rhun animation. Could they perhaps get a two handed animation, since they have the towergaurds and to make them different from the Arnor spearman. I know they have a shield, but perhaps they can carry those on their backs or perhaps even keep them on their arms but carry the shield higher on the arm, so they haver both their hands free? I'm sure they would look a lot better than, ready to spear a troll or some wargs

I disagree about the Gondor spearmen, their shield wall is iconic to their faction in ROTK. I would rather remove the shield of the Tower Guard, since they had none in the movies. Not to mention that a shield on the back makes it kinda useless, because they already are fully armored and will give some unnecessary weight. Why have a shield on the back if you won't use it anyway :P? I do agree that the spear is too long right now, but my personal solution would be to place the hand of the soldier more nearby the middle of the spear shaft, instead of near the bottom as it is now.

The_ClocheFixer

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #2 am: 4. Dez 2016, 15:26 »
That's indeed a good point Fredius, giving the tower guard animations to the normal spearman and the tower gaurds a two handed animation, tough its iconic to block the enemies with there huge shields. But it would fit better with the movie.

that's true about the shield on the back, is actually ridiculous, unless you are retreating ofcourse :P

Also a good idea. I think it would be great to see them "phalanx" like. A shield and both ands free to hold a spear (pike in that case, but its about the concept) https://images6.alphacoders.com/355/355335.jpg

Fredius

• Edain Betatesting
  • Galadhrim
  • It's good to be evil
« Antwort #3 am: 4. Dez 2016, 15:38 »
Notice how the shield is round and small in that picture, if we use the gondorian shield for a phalanx the shield will bother the legs (and most likely cause clipping issues on the model :P).

The_ClocheFixer

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #4 am: 4. Dez 2016, 15:51 »
Yeah that could be :/

Well then perhaps just placing the hand more to the middle of the spear shaft would give a better look than. Or give them the towergaurd animations, and the towergaurds their two handed one back, but its still something iconic... Difficult

I just don't really like the soldier of Rhun animation, it looks kinda inhuman, such a low profile for a proud man of Gondor

But in the end its still nitpicking

Fredius

• Edain Betatesting
  • Galadhrim
  • It's good to be evil
« Antwort #5 am: 4. Dez 2016, 16:00 »
It's okay, we are free to discuss this, no matter if it will be implemented or not :). Long live democracy eh xD! Edain once made their own animation for the Gondor Spearmen. You can see it in one of their videos, though I don't know why they removed it:

https://youtu.be/l7KCC69VKPo?t=6m6s

Now there is one more animation, and it's an edited version of the Lorien swordsmen. Basically the animation only uses the stabbing part, and holding the weapon vertically while walking. I've seen it in another mod before, though I don't remember which one.

The_ClocheFixer

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #6 am: 4. Dez 2016, 16:10 »
Yes :)

That animation looks good, perhaps it caused to much bugs. But something in that direction surely looks better.

I think the attack animation in that video is the stabbing attack from the Lorien warrior.

Fredius

• Edain Betatesting
  • Galadhrim
  • It's good to be evil
« Antwort #7 am: 4. Dez 2016, 16:54 »
No, those stabs are part of the Soldiers of Gondor animation set. They just aren't being used in Edain ;).

The_ClocheFixer

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #8 am: 4. Dez 2016, 17:23 »
Heh, I think I must play vanilla again, just to see that hahah

Fredius

• Edain Betatesting
  • Galadhrim
  • It's good to be evil
« Antwort #9 am: 4. Dez 2016, 17:49 »
Oh wait I might have worded it the wrong way, they are part of the Gondor Soldiers animation set, but they are not implemented in the vanilla game. There are a lot of unused animations in the game, and Edain just enabled most of them for the Gondor Soldiers (except for the stabbing part). You can see those animations here if you watch closely: http://www.moddb.com/mods/bfme-classic-edition/videos/updates-on-catapults-and-fire-arrows#imagebox

For more info on unused animations I would suggest you to follow the Classic Edition mod, from which that video is part of. It's purpose is to recreate BFME1 in the way it was meant to be before it was released :).

The_ClocheFixer

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #10 am: 4. Dez 2016, 18:22 »
Ah, that makes things clear, I played some vanilla and they had only a slash animation

Now I saw it, thanks for that link

There are sure a lot of options

Dendrotheos

• Bilbos Festgast
  • æsc cyning. Freca Rohanes
« Antwort #11 am: 4. Dez 2016, 19:40 »
Is it not worth a note for changing the animations for the spearmen of gondor, however? I don't use them because the rhun animation is really uncharacteristic of gondor soldiers; the films, from which the design is taken, depict such spearmen marching upright, while the rhun animation has them with bent backs.

It may be up for debate concerning what animation it should be replaced with currently, but I think a change of animation should still be on the agenda.
"Bealocwealm hafað fréone frecan forth onsended. Giedd sculon singan gléomenn sorgiende."

The_ClocheFixer

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #12 am: 4. Dez 2016, 20:55 »
the rhun animation is really uncharacteristic of gondor soldiers; the films, from which the design is taken, depict such spearmen marching upright, while the rhun animation has them with bent backs.

That's exactly what I think. but I use them frequently early game along my swords, just to catch some trolls, you never know. Dispite their look