29. Mär 2024, 08:25 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Hero descriptions  (Gelesen 2022 mal)

ThePrussianMink

• Bilbos Festgast
  • Isildur's fabulous hair
Hero descriptions
« am: 3. Apr 2017, 12:55 »
There are a lot of heroes in this game, and keeping track of them all can be really hard. Would you consider adding to the heroes' tooltips either a short description of the hero, or simply word about their intended purpose, like: "ranged/hero-killer" or "mass slayer"?

That is all. :)
« Letzte Änderung: 3. Apr 2017, 13:32 von ThePrussianMink »

Gandalf7000

• Heiler von Imladris
  • I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me.
Re: Hero descriptions
« Antwort #1 am: 3. Apr 2017, 17:28 »
In Edain Wiki you can see all heroes and their respective roles. Here: http://edain.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Hero

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #2 am: 3. Apr 2017, 18:14 »
Yes, on the Edain Wiki platform it's possible to have a wide overview of values, statistics, indications or more general advices. Set aside that space, I remember other similar proposals being formulated in the past; and, if my memory serves me well, they were rejected on the grounds that a quite detailed description (comprising roles or strategy) could have resulted in too much text to deal with. There's also the ever-present need to let the player discover strategies or alternatives in autonomy, instead of rendering each description a long and dense explanation/catalogue. Necro and his team have already been appointed with that burdening task  xD

ThePrussianMink

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #3 am: 4. Apr 2017, 19:47 »
While I appreciate that you've had the discussion before, whomever designed Sauron's system of leveling (which I love) definitely didn't share that philosophy. :P

Personally, I think as much information as possible should be transparent within the game, no more text than what a regular unit has would be required: "Good against: Heroes, Structures etc.." I mean, I had no idea that Khamul was good against buildings until I happened to stumble across him in the wiki.  ;)

Elendils Cousin 3. Grades

• Administrator
  • Ringträger
  • German, Motherfucker! Do you speak it?
« Antwort #4 am: 4. Apr 2017, 20:27 »
Or you could just recruit the hero, have a look at his abilities and notice that they mostly have to do with buildings. ;)

And just out of curiosity, what would Elrond's description look like? "Hero supporter/unit supporter/tank/mass slayer"?^^

OakenShield224

• Elbischer Pilger
  • Welcome, my sister-sons, to the Kingdom of Erebor!
« Antwort #5 am: 4. Apr 2017, 20:43 »
About the descriptions on the Wiki, we just base these descriptions on the hero's abilities and regular attack (as well as any comments by the Edain Team).

So for Khamul, his abilities let him passively damage nearby buildings, disable an enemy building and summon his Black Easterlings who are strong against buildings. We've therefore classed him as building destroyer. Saruman has wizard blast, fireball, lightning and an AOE regular attack, so we've classed him as mass slayer. Both of these heroes have other skills that make them useful in other ways (for example Khamul's morgul blade and debuff or Saruman's convert allegiance and Power of Speech). However, we just try and focus on a main role for them which is entirely dependant on how the player uses them.

Hopefully that helped.
And just out of curiosity, what would Elrond's description look like? "Hero supporter/unit supporter/tank/mass slayer"?^^
Yes there are some heroes who just have a large amount of roles. These include Sauron, Galadriel, Faramir and Haldir. With these types of heroes, we've either just listed their roles or put them in a new category of All-Rounder.

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #6 am: 4. Apr 2017, 22:17 »
While I appreciate that you've had the discussion before, whomever designed Sauron's system of leveling (which I love) definitely didn't share that philosophy. :P

I love that system too, and it has often been in my mind when I had to come up with specific proposals. Said that, I don't think that picking Sauron as an example would be very apt for the situation. That is, he's always been an exception in himself, alongside having a quite defined role. The levelling system underlying his concept thus needs a proper explanation, given his structured characterisation (certain tasks that must be accomplished). Besides, what I wanted to point out was that the Edain Mod can't be a game and an encyclopaedia at the same time. If you were to implement descriptions or hints, those should inevitably be enough insightful; otherwise, it wouldn't have sense to add lapidary statements and be done with that aspect. As Elendil wrote, the rationalised and differentiated features of the game ought to be discovered via practice and direct experience. Descriptions and catalogues pertain to the realm of the Edain Wiki for precise reasons: you have there all the space and means to create useful reviews.

The ever-present dilemma  xD

ThePrussianMink

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #7 am: 5. Apr 2017, 22:14 »
There are of course some that are hard to describe, you could just say that they're "effective against: everything" like you do with some units. It may not be fantastically accurate, but it is better than nothing.

Still, the team has clearly thought it through, and I do get your arguments as well.  :)