28. Mär 2024, 14:30 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Mairon Map Pack  (Gelesen 5716 mal)

TheDarkOne

• Thain des Auenlandes
  • Ancient evil. Endangered species.
Mairon Map Pack
« am: 10. Jun 2017, 17:55 »
Greetings, fans of Edain.

I can finally release a pack of five different maps, they apply to 1x1, 2x2, 3x3 and 4x4 gameplay respectively. These maps are suitable only to Edain 4 of course, they were tested quite a number of times and perfected. Many of them were extensively retextured and modified. New maps will gradually appear here. Enjoy!

1. Plain of Kirithgal

This fiery plain was the southern most wedge of plateau of Gorgoroth and perphaps the most deadly. Filled with foul pits and noxious fumes, it was full of holes that spit fire and death. One of the most hostile places in the whole Middle-Earth offers a threatening battleground.

The map is basically a retextured reflection of Fords of Isen with a few gameplay differences. The dunlendings are no more but only orcs inhabit the desolation. The warg lairs in the very corners were swapped with fire drakes. This indeed is an obstacle to conquer but after all it offers the biggest bounty to the player if he is to destroy the lair.

2. Gorgoroth Plateau

Legions of orcs were stationed all across the Gorgoroth Pleteau at the slopes of Mount Doom. The plateau is an enormous barren wasteland covered in a thick layer of volcanic ash and debris.

This huge battlefield is suitable for large skirmishes thus allowing 2x2 games. Many orc camps provide a small treasure bounty and a settlement to occupy while wargs and trolls guard the key places.

3. Hills of Rhudaur

The green hills of one of Arnor kingdoms were once a home of Rhudaur hillmen. These lands have witnessed many skirmishes between them and their invading enemies.

This map is similar to Plateau, however there are many hillmen lairs instead of orc camps which are sightly harder to deal with. Also the green and picturesque landscape provides an exellent opportunity to switch between two maps if you prefer a furtile terrain above desolation. This is the most successful map of mine so far.

4. Gladden River

This small but important river has played a major role in the history of Middle-Earth. The One Ring was once lost in it's waters and was eventually found thousands years later by Smeagol and Deagol.

This is a heavy modification of a very famous Adorn river map. The somewhat harsh landscape turned green and lively. There are two versions of the map: one allows 4x4 games and the other allows 3x3 fights. This one is slightly smaller in size and there is only one bridge in the centre. Apart from that many settlements now are being guarded by goblins, wargs and all outposts can be built only when there are no cave trolls nearby.

5. Vale of the Fellbeasts

In this valley the creatures of an older world lived. Wyrms and other beasts lingered under the forgotten mountains. Sauron once tamed some of them and they became the flying steeds for his deadliest servants.

The map once allowed only 3x3 games to happen but due to it's immense size it was converted into 4x4 battleground. The outer outposts are being swarmed with fire drakes and cave trolls but the large cliffs provide an exellent defensive position once the place is cleared of creeps. Do not be alarmed if you see shadowbeasts flying over the map for they are neutral.

Note that some cliffs may appear untextured in cases when you set a different resolution than your screen resolution actually is (for example, the actual resolution is 1024x768 but you set 1600x900 in the launcher). The maps contain huge amounts of lairs and settlements to make the gameplay even quicker and more interesting. I shall give Glorfindel23 a credit for helping and teaching me the scripting.

Download on FileDropper or direcrly on Moddb.

The link crashed recently but now it should work again.
« Letzte Änderung: 17. Aug 2017, 02:41 von TheDarkOne »

Fürst der Nazgûl

• Bilbos Festgast
  • "Ea ez garun. Borganash. Daz-dandu gulizash."
Re: Mairon Map Pack
« Antwort #1 am: 10. Jun 2017, 18:26 »
They look nice, Gollum included?  xD

I'll try them later  :)
Danke an CMG für Avatar & Banner :)

Ash nazg durbatulúk
Ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulúk
agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #2 am: 10. Jun 2017, 18:48 »
First of all, thank you for having showcased your work here. It really looks like a structured project, on which you spent much time and energy. And I also like the fact that all maps are tied together by a common theme :)

As a very loose and sudden suggestion: according to a RPG of mine, Lórien fought a war against Goblins for the liberation of its northern neighbouring lands (including the Gladden River), around 2000 T.A. The host of Lothlórien eventually managed to drive off the foes and the rule of the White Lords was extended over those territories; that and the victory of the Golden Wood was symbolised by the placement of statues portraying Galadriel. The control of those lands was later given up, since Nenya's influence could only have had effect within the woods of Lórien. But some statues, covered by grass and in ruin, are still present as a concrete testimony of the old events that occurred. Henceforth, speaking about the Gladden River, do you think you could add some statues representing Galadriel across the map (the model consists of an Elven maiden holding a kind of tray that is meant to contain fire)? Anyway, this is just a little idea of mine. Your maps look wonderful nonetheless.

TheDarkOne

• Thain des Auenlandes
« Antwort #3 am: 10. Jun 2017, 19:15 »
Yes, Ring system is present but you will have to pay more attention and spend more effort to find him, because he hides very well.

Thank you for these kind words. I thought about adding some houses of local folk (even though the area is not so populated) on Gladden map but I don't think that there is enough place for them to be. Your idea sounds interesting. Surely I can add some ruined elven constructs, including the remains of statues.
« Letzte Änderung: 10. Jun 2017, 23:39 von TheDarkOne »

-DJANGO-

• Balins Schriftführer
  • I might play Unchained!
« Antwort #4 am: 10. Jun 2017, 19:26 »
Looks awesome!

I like how you played with alternative textures and new creeps for the reskins, as well the new stuff is looking good. Also great that your maps are MP based. I will def check them out  :P
- THE EAGLES ARE COMING -

Odysseus

• Galadhrim
« Antwort #5 am: 10. Jun 2017, 20:25 »
Looks really good indeed!
“For so sworn good or evil an oath may not be broken and it shall pursue oathkeeper and oathbreaker to the world's end.”

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #6 am: 10. Jun 2017, 20:37 »
Yes, those ruins could add an antique touch to the map. I'm looking forward to seeing the final result :)

TheDarkOne

• Thain des Auenlandes
« Antwort #7 am: 14. Jun 2017, 20:16 »
Yes, those ruins could add an antique touch to the map. I'm looking forward to seeing the final result :)

As requested. The link is updated.

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #8 am: 14. Jun 2017, 21:17 »
Thank you for having accepted the suggestion. I really appreciate that. Ruins give memory to the map and an interesting past; the statues will remind players of who used to rule those lands (not for long, alas) and of Lórien's victory :)

Trapper

• Edain Ehrenmember
  • Knappe Rohans
« Antwort #9 am: 15. Jun 2017, 22:06 »
Looking good ! :)

TheDarkOne

• Thain des Auenlandes
« Antwort #10 am: 27. Jul 2017, 20:30 »
All bugs and errors have been fixed and a preview is available now:
As the work over these five maps is finally over you can offer any ideas here for me to create a map you'd always wanted to see in your skirmish list.