18. Apr 2024, 03:04 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Smaug, the Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities  (Gelesen 38007 mal)

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
Re: Smaug, the Cheapest and Greatest of Calamities
« Antwort #105 am: 5. Feb 2018, 12:35 »
Do not tear yourself down so easily! I believe there is always that one thing which each of us excels in. Also, it was you who crafted the core proposal in the first place; you ought to be proud of that. We're just polishing the final details of the case ;)

I agree with you. I find all those titles nice and fancy, but some either sound too much poetic or detach from the actual essence of the feature. For example, it's true that every treasure that was raided by akin creatures has been in a sense cursed; it does represent a grievous testimony of defeat, it's true. Such descriptions relate more to the victims, though, rather than the very perpetrators. Henceforth, I think that Usurper embodies all we want to express and tells something about the malice of the infesting force at the same time. I would also leave it in the singular form, because it seems more general: it obviously refers to Smaug, primarily, yet its meaning may also get wider and comprehend the common trait of Goblins. That is, anyone of their ilk is a usurper. Last but not least, a usurper is he who took possession of someone else's treasure or, more frequently in old tales, of a kingdom/throne...

P.S. There are people who even excel in being awful, but this is another story [ugly]

AulëTheSmith

• Elronds Berater
« Antwort #106 am: 5. Feb 2018, 21:26 »
Do not tear yourself down so easily! I believe there is always that one thing which each of us excels in. Also, it was you who crafted the core proposal in the first place; you ought to be proud of that. We're just polishing the final details of the case ;)

I agree with you. I find all those titles nice and fancy, but some either sound too much poetic or detach from the actual essence of the feature. For example, it's true that every treasure that was raided by akin creatures has been in a sense cursed; it does represent a grievous testimony of defeat, it's true. Such descriptions relate more to the victims, though, rather than the very perpetrators. Henceforth, I think that Usurper embodies all we want to express and tells something about the malice of the infesting force at the same time. I would also leave it in the singular form, because it seems more general: it obviously refers to Smaug, primarily, yet its meaning may also get wider and comprehend the common trait of Goblins. That is, anyone of their ilk is a usurper. Last but not least, a usurper is he who took possession of someone else's treasure or, more frequently in old tales, of a kingdom/throne

I was joking, yet  I cannot say it is completely wrong  :D
Anyway, I would stay with usurper. Not only Monsters infest lands, but also mark with evil everything they conquest. Such as for Khazad Dum, which after goblin invasion became a silent and empty ruined realm. Full of horrible creatures coming from the deep  :)
The main post will be updated with all new features, comprising a new tribute system ;)

P.S. There are people who even excel in being awful, but this is another story [ugly]

I got what you mean  :D :D

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
Re: Smaug, the Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities
« Antwort #107 am: 10. Feb 2018, 22:43 »
I just updated the title of the thread. I wasn't acquainted with Smaug's titles in the English original translation and I did not know that it was 'chiefest' and not 'cheapest'. I had some doubts, thinking about some possible old-fashioned meaning of 'cheap', until I was casually watching that sequence in English, yesterday, and I discovered the right word.

It was objectively an improper choice, as if Smaug had been turned into a good or a commodity :P

AulëTheSmith

• Elronds Berater
« Antwort #108 am: 11. Feb 2018, 11:39 »
I just updated the title of the thread. I wasn't acquainted with Smaug's titles in the English original translation and I did not know that it was 'chiefest' and not 'cheapest'. I had some doubts, thinking about some possible old-fashioned meaning of 'cheap', until I was casually watching that sequence in English, yesterday, and I discovered the right word.

It was objectively an improper choice, as if Smaug had been turned into a good or a commodity :P

What the heck, of course it was a mistake Walküre! no ancient meanings behind it...rather my disattention [ugly]...Moreover we all know that Smaug is priceless, for sure not cheap  :D
By the way, Thank you :)
P.s: everytime you or other members notice something strange like that, don't hesitate  letting me know! I'm like that sometime i'm sorry  [ugly]
« Letzte Änderung: 11. Feb 2018, 11:44 von AulëTheSmith »

Garlodur

• Gastwirt zu Bree
  • In Moria, in Khazad-Dûm
« Antwort #109 am: 11. Feb 2018, 12:29 »
Regarding instead the tribute system, i'll make it more cool to play starting from Garlodur's ideas for sure. I sincerely did not spend so much time on that part  [ugly] rather i concentrated all my efforts on main abilities and core.

Still, if I may ask, what do you think of my arguments for implementing the tribute system in such a way that unlocks abilities rather than levels?

Everyone else is also invited to respond!

AulëTheSmith

• Elronds Berater
« Antwort #110 am: 11. Feb 2018, 15:08 »
Still, if I may ask, what do you think of my arguments for implementing the tribute system in such a way that unlocks abilities rather than levels?

Everyone else is also invited to respond!
Of course you can ask Garlodur, also I make my apologizes if I was no clear on the argument :). I think it's a good idea and it should make him more balance. At least our duty is to justify his great power in someway. It has to be slowly and with an high price. It's a good way to do it I agree :) also, as I wrote I will free the lair from any level. It will simply get more advanced after the unlocking of central spell ;)
So yes, I will change the system in this way. An economy/technical question: each time the player pay a tribute then you unlock how many abilities? Only one per time?
Let me know in detail your idea  ;)

Ps: in fact, I would like to hear more opinion from the other users too, starting from voting system. Being positive or negative opinion it doesn't matter, The important thing is to polish Smaug's concept for Edain mod in a right direction, at least, for the major part of the community.
« Letzte Änderung: 11. Feb 2018, 20:34 von AulëTheSmith »

Garlodur

• Gastwirt zu Bree
  • In Moria, in Khazad-Dûm
« Antwort #111 am: 18. Feb 2018, 20:36 »
Poo, I don't want to go into much detail. Not because I don't want to see it implemented but because of how much this system needs to be balanced out. The balance goes further than Smaug on his own, up to the whole Misty Mountains faction, all the way to 1v1 multiplayer match-ups.

But sure, my general idea was for Smaug to start of with 2 abilities: Fly/Land and Incinerate/Dragon Breath. From there on we can decide on two things: either Smaug's tributes exclusively unlock his abilities; or the tributes also increase the summon time of summonable Smaug, or decrease the summon cooldown timer.

I guess Smaug's time on the battlefield as a summon should be temporary, but the time in the original proposal (several minutes summon) would turn the game around and end it in favour of Misty Mountains, due to its length. Yet again, having Smaug with all his abilities unlocked summoned for only 30 seconds or 1 minute does not give opportunity to use all these preciously dangerous abilities.

Back to these two options. In the first case each tribute unlocks an ability of a higher rank (3>5>7>10), and leave the summon time the same. Yet in this scenario we can also create a different 'branch' of tributes for the summon time.
In the second case each tribute unlocks an ability as well as shortening the summon time/cooldown. This option is favourable because it forces players to spend more money on summoned Smaug if they want to use him earlier in the game. Then, when Smaug is recruited, these tributes still convey his growing power. Even though the tribute is worth less (without the reduced timer) this can be balanced out by saying that a recruitable dragon is more strategically advantageous than a summonable one.

I hope this makes sense. Please ask for clarification. All of this is just an idea :)

AulëTheSmith

• Elronds Berater
« Antwort #112 am: 6. Mär 2018, 13:32 »
I'm sorry Garlodur and all of you guys i've been absent for a while from the thread. Due to real life obligations i had no time to give you a proper answer. Then here is the new version of the concept. What is changed:

- new intro poem by Walküre in the description.
- new name of the centrall spell: "Usurper".
- new proposals for other MM important lairs by Garlodur.
- "Dragon Sickness" renamed as "Greediness"
- Smaug now is no more dependent on classical leveling up system, he's recruited just at level 10 (but with lower stats in the case of summon).
-the abilties are now unlocked via tributes (even  if the player did not use summoning system; after buying central spell he can still make use of tributes to upgrade Smaug two abilities at time).
-Note: now the cost of tributes grows exponentially: each successive tribute cost the double of the one before, starting from 750 to 1500 and finally 3000.  That's because the abilites are increasing in power.
-ALL the rest (abilites,names, etc) is unchanged.
I hope is now more interesting from a game play perspective. Let me know what do you think, the main post will be eventually updated too.

« Letzte Änderung: 9. Mär 2018, 12:16 von AulëTheSmith »

Julio229

• Edain Betatesting
  • Gesandter der Freien Völker
  • King Of the Misty Mountains
« Antwort #113 am: 6. Mär 2018, 13:54 »
I already said I was in favour of this suggestion, so I don't have much to add, but I think that it is even better now! You've managed to make a lore-suitable, interesting and seemingly balanced approach to the recruitment of Smaug, taking into account aspects like him not being a part of the MM army, and only being swayed (sp?) to their help because of gold and treasure. I just want to say, congratulations!  :D you also have his quotes as names of abilities, which is something I wanted so much. Well done!

AulëTheSmith

• Elronds Berater
« Antwort #114 am: 7. Mär 2018, 12:44 »
I already said I was in favour of this suggestion, so I don't have much to add, but I think that it is even better now! You've managed to make a lore-suitable, interesting and seemingly balanced approach to the recruitment of Smaug, taking into account aspects like him not being a part of the MM army, and only being swayed (sp?) to their help because of gold and treasure. I just want to say, congratulations!  :D you also have his quotes as names of abilities, which is something I wanted so much. Well done!

Thank you very much Julio  xD I always try to do my best for the sake of the Golden One!!  xD
In fact in this new version is even more stressed his gold dependency, such that the player can have a huge boost of power but after a spending a big amount of resources and time also, which is not a negligible parameter in a match  ;)
If  we suppose a cost of 800 to build the lair, plus all the cost to upgrade him and recruit him the cost is around 9000 resources +  five-six points of central spell.

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #115 am: 8. Mär 2018, 16:39 »
I absolutely second what has been stated by Julio. Further additions to a splendid concept, crafted with passion and much care! Now, you only need to replace the modified (definitive) version with the one showcased in the front page of the thread. Also, thank you very much for including my little composition too; I'm always more than glad to know that my lyrics are appreciated by someone else, somewhere in the forum ;)

As for abilities and quotations from the very character, I dare say we are quite lucky, this time: Smaug is fortunately a prideful dragon, used to boasting about his might and praising his own physical prowess. So, most of his abilities may be matched with the proper line for our scope, in tune with the context. And, as far as I have knowledge of, the Edain Team already disposes of all lines of his from DOS; I would say it's well enough to come up with a truly great hero.

OakenShield224

• Elbischer Pilger
  • Welcome, my sister-sons, to the Kingdom of Erebor!
« Antwort #116 am: 8. Mär 2018, 18:32 »
I've already said how brilliant this concept is and nothing has changed in that regard. This is one of the best concepts I've read! I especially like how the central spell could affect the other creeps so it isn't just dragon focused.

I do have one question though. From what I've read, it seems like Smaug will only be available from the Dragon Lair. While this is appropriate for the character, it will mean that the Ring Hero for MM will be limited to an outpost hero (a limitation that no other faction has). Wouldn't this give MM a disadvantage?

AulëTheSmith

• Elronds Berater
« Antwort #117 am: 9. Mär 2018, 12:04 »
I absolutely second what has been stated by Julio. Further additions to a splendid concept, crafted with passion and much care! Now, you only need to replace the modified (definitive) version with the one showcased in the front page of the thread. Also, thank you very much for including my little composition too; I'm always more than glad to know that my lyrics are appreciated by someone else, somewhere in the forum ;)

Thank you Walküre for your compliments, it's a pleausre to develope further such a mighty hero for the community !
I read the composition some weeks ago when you composed it, and i like it very much, it introduce the arrive of Smaug perfectly!

And, as far as I have knowledge of, the Edain Team already disposes of all lines of his from DOS; I would say it's well enough to come up with a truly great hero.

I remember that they like a lot Smaug voice and quotes. However i didn't know they just collected the lines, that's a good news!! xD
I can't imagine anyone in the world who has something to complain about the splendid interpretation of Cumberbatch, even the most crititique of purist must admit this fact!

I've already said how brilliant this concept is and nothing has changed in that regard. This is one of the best concepts I've read! I especially like how the central spell could affect the other creeps so it isn't just dragon focused.
I do have one question though. From what I've read, it seems like Smaug will only be available from the Dragon Lair. While this is appropriate for the character, it will mean that the Ring Hero for MM will be limited to an outpost hero (a limitation that no other faction has). Wouldn't this give MM a disadvantage?

First of all, thank you again for your praises, Oaken  :)
I remember someone raised a similar question some time ago but i could be wrong, were it you? In that case i'm sorry if i forgot to answer and i forward my thoughts now:
For what i know it is also an idea of the team to confine Smaug in an external structure. I like more this option too, because i cannot see any of the three citadel (Goblin town, Gundabad, Moria) as a good place to host Smaug, whatever structures you are considering. Even treasure cave, since i suppose it will be a sort of "armory" of Gundabad, the heavy infantry of Goblins.
That was more a lore pov.
Said that, coming to the game-play pov: maybe yes, it's a disadvantage. You have to capture an outpost defending it from opponents.
However, my hope is that the player will be rewarded with the most powerful ring hero in game, second only to Sauron  xD

« Letzte Änderung: 9. Mär 2018, 23:37 von AulëTheSmith »

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #118 am: 9. Mär 2018, 14:34 »
Correct. As far as I know, the Edain Team has all the needed quotes already. They were collected by two very dedicated fans, at the dawn of the international community, to whom my utmost gratitude goes. Indeed. They have patiently cut most of the lines for every hero of each faction, making it possible for us to have a true English version of the Mod, because, otherwise, only the in-game texts would have been translated.

Given that, I assume, this was done before the actual release of BOTFA, I think we may use the sole lines from the second film; and I deem it well enough. Yet, if anyone is willing to undertake such task, having his lines from BOTFA at disposal would be equally great.

Tiberius Ogden

• Gast
« Antwort #119 am: 21. Jan 2019, 04:13 »
I support general idea and I really like all skills, wonderful arguments behind them and not generic like "fireball" or something like that.  8-|

But I have problem with some things:
1) That Smaug is summonable from the beginning and you have to unlock him through the spellbook. That is quite boring for me and it doesn't help to anything. Also I wonder how AI will react.
2) It leads me to second thing - levelling. Game is based on levelling. You level heroes, units, buildings ... it has not only strategic but mainly RPG feeling. I would be careful with exceptions and Smaug doesn't seem to me like the best candidate for it. He isn't so ancient ... Sauron is ancient, Galadriel is ancient, wizards-maiar are ancient. They are definitely better candidates to start with full arsenal of powers (I mean on level 10 as you proposed for Smaug)
3) Smaug as a central spell. Honestly I don't know if Smaug is crucial for the faction like Saruman for Isengard, Galadriel for Lorien or Sauron for Mordor. I always considered him as powerful and unique additon which is above the whole goblin's faction and he, as a very strong entity, is quite separate and uncontrollable ... exactly like Balrog who is only temporar while Smaug is permanent. But their characterization is the same.
I can imagine that Misty Mountains faction needs rather some active and offensive central spell, which underlines their aggressive gamestyle ...  8-)
« Letzte Änderung: 21. Jan 2019, 04:16 von Tiberius Ogden »