28. Mär 2024, 11:11 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: I see a Saruman and Raise u a Gandalf  (Gelesen 2522 mal)

dkbluewizard

• Gastwirt zu Bree
I see a Saruman and Raise u a Gandalf
« am: 15. Okt 2017, 18:15 »
So in agreement with the Narya concept included, posted in the Gondor Suggestion area, I thought of something small yet new for Gandalf's character.

For a long time we have grasped the situation of Gandalf using his Erebor powers and I think I may have found a way that works like Saruman's Wizard's tower.

Where Saruman gains powers on a global weather scale, Gandalf will gain his Erebor abilities via the Firework Cart. How will this be implemented?

Much like the Witch King of Mordor being able to mount then be given the option to mount a fellbeast and then dismount--Gandalf will mount his horse/Shadowfax and then be given the option of the Firework Cart. The Cart would be clicked and dropped off on the area where Gandalf and his steed are standing and it would act like Thranduil's Feast of Mirkwood. Gandalf would then be free to move away from it on his mount or dismount on foot and move close to it. Like Thranduil's spell, only one cart at a time.

Within a certain radius of the firework cart, Gandalf's abilities switch to his Erebor incarnation, but like Saruman, if he uses his Erebor abilities and he moves away from the firework cart, he counts as having used that rank's ability.

For example Explosive Blast (Rank 1 ability) is used within radius of the Firework Cart and Gandalf moves out from the cart's radius, Gandalf cannot use his Wizard's Blast (Rank 1) because he just used the Explosive Blast in the cart's radius. Same is said for the Burning Pine Cones to Lightning Sword, Mount is still Mount, and Gandalf's Fireworks for Istari Light. I don't know what would be used in Word of Power, but probably his Rank 10 ability from 3.81 or something different.

So what would be the downside to this? Well if Smaug, Balrog, Sauron, Saruman, Fire Arrows--you get the idea fire attacks, hit the cart, it explodes like one of Saruman's mines, it would have good knockback though I doubt it would do as much damage as one of Saruman's mines--but I would leave this up to the beta testers to decide and since Gandalf bears the ring of fire, I would doubt it would do much damage anyways.

So all in all, why include this extra feature including the ring of Narya with Gandalf? Because it is gameplay balanced (erebor gandalf and gondor gandalf have been tested repeatedly), it is canonical (Gandalf wandered, his set up of fireworks at different areas of the map exemplify this as well as his abilities when it comes to using his firework attacks), it is not overpowering (like Saruman's wizard's tower his powers are used), Gandalf the White enhances these abilities and doesn't affect a change in powers or gameplay, it still works with the Narya concept perfectly, and finally this offers a small nice bonus to those faithful to the lore and want to see something canonical and new that isn't overpowered, yet is still balanced.

I hope you enjoyed this review. I will leave you all with these final thoughts: Grimbeorn gets all of Summoned Beorn's abilities, Haldir gets all of Summoned Haldirs, each of the three hunters get all their abilities in their character forms, and so why shouldn't Gandalf in a very fair, balanced and fun way?

Take care everyone.
Outside of Lord of the Rings, I am pretty sure Vengeance of Valdorian & Leoj's Wrath are the best novels I have read.

OakenShield224

• Elbischer Pilger
  • Welcome, my sister-sons, to the Kingdom of Erebor!
Re: I see a Saruman and Raise u a Gandalf
« Antwort #1 am: 15. Okt 2017, 21:37 »
I like the concept and implementation of this idea. I'm just wondering, what would be the overall benefit of doing it gameplay wise? All of the Hobbit spells that are proposed are replacements for Gondor Gandalf's spells so they don't really offer much that is new to the hero other than the lore aspect. Maybe there could be some other sort of benefit to having the cart or the abilities could be slightly changed (for example, Wizard Tower Saruman's lightning has a larger AOE but less damage while his fireball has less AOE but more damage).

Maybe the cart could have some sort of supporting role (i.e. buffing nearby units or being protected by hobbits)?

Another aspect to consider is that the fireworks are very closely linked to Gandalf the Grey. Gandalf the White wouldn't have cared too much about these things so I'm not sure that this spell would fit thematically for him.

I'm just throwing ideas out here and I hope they might help.

dkbluewizard

• Gastwirt zu Bree
« Antwort #2 am: 15. Okt 2017, 23:23 »
These are great Oakenshield, I am not the best balance master out there, and I don't think Gandalf the White would have minded using firework spells, I mean in regards to the game, he uses them as attack spells, so I am sure GTW would do the same.

Also, I don't see the Edain Team accepting a hero support ability with the cart. Summoning Hobbits to protect it seems out of place, especially since Gandalf was famous for fireworks all over middle earth his cart shouldn't be hobbit exclusive.

In regards to your last point, this offers a finite tactical advantage for Gandalf. I think his Erebor spells do have a great AOE already but his final Rank 10 spell is unknown right now--I mean, what would have better AOE than Word of Power?

Anyways, I like to think of the battle of Minas Tirith in the Good Campaign. Many times the enemy clumps and I wish I had better anti clump attacks, Fiery Pine Cones, Gandalf's Fireworks all engage faster and can transverse to the enemy faster and easier. Fast spell casting is the advantage here as the Erebor spells are faster and they should remain the same damage.

The only thing remaining is Gandalf's Rank 10. I don't remember what he had in 3.81 but we should probably go with that.

Does this help Oakenshield224? I think this is a good compromise and would help. I hope I answered all your questions bud. 
Outside of Lord of the Rings, I am pretty sure Vengeance of Valdorian & Leoj's Wrath are the best novels I have read.

dkbluewizard

• Gastwirt zu Bree
« Antwort #3 am: 18. Okt 2017, 00:28 »
I figured someone on here would ask how the ring function would work, well since he becomes Gandalf the Corrupted and loses a mount, he would no longer be able to use the cart in his corrupted form.

In the Challenge Master form everything would be the same but a different color and more damage/AOE, just like his regular spells.