28. Mär 2024, 18:28 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Annatar Model Discussion  (Gelesen 7030 mal)

The_Necromancer0

• Edain Team
  • Beschützer des verbotenen Weihers
  • There is evil there that does not sleep
Annatar Model Discussion
« am: 3. Dez 2017, 20:53 »
I've been hanging on to that one for a while now and since ET has a 3D artist again I thought it could be a neat little improvement. But basically, the Annatar model doesn't fit what we know of Annatar, it's really bright for some reason and when you remove the shine it has spikes everywhere. It seems to be somewhat inspired by the footage for the LOTR trilogy but that doesn't seem to do it justice. The letters of Tolkien speak of
Zitat
a commanding figure of great strength of body and supremely royal demeanour and countenance.
Zitat
Upon that ship which was cast the highest and stood dry upon a hill there was a man, or one in man’s shape, but greater than any even of the race of Numenor in stature...And it seemed to men that Sauron was great; though they feared the light of his eyes. To many he appeared fair, to others terrible; but to some evil.

So his appearance is that somewhat of an elf, albeit fairer and taller with his eye sparkling of an evil light. There's many pictures online and basing it off that I took my meager modelling skill and gave my suggestion a rough draft.

So the texture mapping is pretty rough, but this is basically what I think would be a nice appearance for Annatar. This is based off the Elrond model except I dragged down his robe all the way down and remove the elrond head in favor of the one from annatar's current model which I quite like. I also gave him a hood.

The texture itself is rather raw, the sash can be adjusted in length but it's golden  and holds together white robes. On top of tap he has a white coat like the loremasters except it's opened. As you can see it's no AOTR model but I think it does the job of conveying a message.

For the head there are many sources on the internet but given that he is suppose to be an elf then perhaps the shadow of mordor annatar's head could be used as inspiration.

If not blond creamy hair and the reddish eyes of this one is also a possibility

The skeleton there isn't much to be done unless custom animation be done, I didn't like his current ones but there are no other walking animation, ever other units just runs so I guess they have to be kept.
« Letzte Änderung: 3. Dez 2017, 21:25 von The_Necromancer0 »
Come chat Edain on Discord: https://discord.gg/CMhkeb8
Questions on the Mod? Visit the Official Wiki: http://edain.wikia.com/

The_Necromancer0

• Edain Team
Re: Annatar Model Discussion
« Antwort #1 am: 3. Dez 2017, 21:25 »
Updated post with complete proposal

Odysseus

• Galadhrim
« Antwort #2 am: 3. Dez 2017, 22:49 »
Looks pretty good, in my opinion. Not much to add. I personally don't have any major complaints with the current model, apart from maybe that it is a bit vague/unfocused due to the effect and the way the skin is done. At least, of what I remember anyway.
“For so sworn good or evil an oath may not be broken and it shall pursue oathkeeper and oathbreaker to the world's end.”

DrHouse93

• Elronds Berater
« Antwort #3 am: 10. Dez 2017, 20:14 »
I really like the model, really nice job! Apart for the yellow...sword?...which reminds me too much to a Christian Cross

The_Necromancer0

• Edain Team
« Antwort #4 am: 11. Dez 2017, 08:03 »
It’s suppose to be a golden sash :P

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #5 am: 13. Dez 2017, 02:58 »
Discussions of this kind please me always and it's also a pleasure to debate the very sources underlying the matter we focus on, delving and digging deeper in the old lore; I love it. On the present structure, I'm well glad to participate in the topic, but I'm afraid my stance on the proposal will have to be negative this time. I've already expressed myself in this post of mine and I reaffirm my thesis here too: as far as it pertains to the game itself (our defined context), I think it would be counter-intuitive and conceptually wrong if the Lord of Gifts were given that fair appearance, which is perhaps too fair for the case. Being Mordor the quintessential representation of the Evil in the Edain Mod, it is important that its leader (the tyrant) be characterised by some details that signal his real malicious nature. Clearly, his evil intentions are well embodied by his own abilities (it would thus be nice if his physical appearance matched his wicked mind).

Furthermore, the aforementioned reasonings reflect my personal opinion on the lore as well. It all revolves around the definition that Tolkien often gives to that atypical example of beauty: fairness that emanates might and provokes authoritative awe or dread in the people witnessing such types of uncanny events. I think that a comparison could be drawn with the Dark Queen; Galadriel says that she would be fair as nothing else in the world, but also terrible as the rising of the dawn or as raging storms. Tolkien writes that, while the One Ring causes her inner ambition to come forth, she does emerge as an unspeakable fair figure, yet dreadful and affected by that ill-natured power. The reference to natural phenomena is simply perfect, because this is nothing else but the canonical definition of a sublime manifestation (immensely beautiful and equally terrible), which both art and literature connect most of the times with nature. Tolkien follows therefore in such literary legacy about the sublime theme.

Now, this is what the passage that was presented here reminds me of. Sauron is exactly described as a commanding figure; one with a noble composure that stirs reverence within anyone beholding him. Nevertheless, it is quite far from a completely saint-like characterisation, which is instead used for the Maiar of Aman or even the Powers themselves, being terrible yet holy. And there is very little holiness in Sauron, even though he's disguising himself to trick others into believing he's a real angel who was sent as a divine emissary at the behest of Valinor. So, I'm not saying that he wasn't fair or bright, but there is that subtle trait of his which the current model shows well; his cunning and ambiguous ends, surrounded by an aura of clout and sheer power. This is what I read into Tolkien's own words, and we should also not forget that not all Elves were ensnared by his manners, for some saw through him and discovered that his heart was not pure nor pious. Additionally, I believe that the Elven smiths had been conquered more by his vast knowledge of the secret of metallurgy, rather than his fair appearance.

In conclusion, despite appreciating Necro's work, I would personally stick to the cinematographic adaptation, as it gets closer to the portrait of the Lord of Gifts that was depicted above. I will also provide other visual examples of that awe/authoritative presence/fearful reverence I was talking about.

AmosVogel

• Gastwirt zu Bree
« Antwort #6 am: 6. Feb 2019, 17:07 »
As far as i like to read dear Walküre, i think Annatar shouldnt be as Galadriel speaks of herself, i do understand what you stated, but in the lore, Annatar was never ever described as having a very strange aura neither spikes in his clothing, but fair and most noble.

Long time ago i said he would resemble the look of the Istari, but mightier and younger; as the istari, he should looked fair to both, men and elves. But we should also remember Galadriel and Gil Galad distrusted him, maybe rather than being white (as Gandalf's or Saruman's clothes) its clotthing should be darker with tones of red, colors the Istari would never use.

I truly think the model shown is great, maybe larger sleeves, for in medieval times sleeves height resembled authority and wisdom. 
« Letzte Änderung: 6. Feb 2019, 17:11 von AmosVogel »
"Viva México"