28. Mär 2024, 11:17 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Suggestion for the model of the Axemen of Lossarnach, by FilipGeorg  (Gelesen 3812 mal)

Julio229

• Edain Betatesting
  • Gesandter der Freien Völker
  • King Of the Misty Mountains
DISCLAIMER: this suggestion is not by me, but by FilipGeorg, who has asked me to post it here:

Appearance of the Axemen of Lossarnach:

For now we are able to see how this important regiment of the Fiefdoms is portrayed in Edain which depicts the important role of supporting unit that hails from Lossarnach and was present during the Siege of Minas Tirith, the Battle of the Pellenor Fields and part of the host led by Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas and the Grey Company. And lastly, present during the final stand at the Black Gate.

I am writing this because I felt that the current look of these axemen that serve under the banner of Gondor as auxiliaries are representing an unit that is close to its resemblance of the real life Scandinavian, Saxon, Frankish and German societies during the IX-XI century. By that I mean the usage of long chainmail, Danish ax, several layers of dried skin that serves as additional protection against melee and ranged weapons. The point is that Lossarnach is geographically located West of Minas Tirith and South of the eastern edge of the White Mountains. Thus it is described as fertile land suitable for farming ( the original name is: ,,Vale of the Flowers’’ ). The main economy relations between this region and the city of Minas Tirith alongside other cities under Gondor’s rule was based upon the export of fruits which were cultivated in the numerous orchards.

This peaceful land in times of war and danger was widely known for their Axe-bearing infantry regiments. While in Edain their visual look is more closer to the Rohirrim and the North-Men, due to the geographical position, historical relations between Anorien and the other Fiefs, I would propose different visual concept for them that will give closer touch to the Numenorean rule of Gondor mixed with the tradition of the pre-Numenorean cultures:

First of all, they should definitely wore central breastplate made of several layers of dried skin. In the center, instead of the Ax emblem, they should clearly have several flowers as insignia that will provide the needed heraldic culture and heritage of this Fiefdom. As head protection, the axemen should have some sort of horned and twisted helmets that will have mixed depiction of Anorien and Pelargir helmets. I would leave the chainmail since it is more suitable for the Rohhirim and the Men of Dale, Esgaroth. Below the torso and the armor, they should wear trousers that have knee protection and greaves, arms should be protected  by hand grieves ( made of dried skin as well ) and gloves.

Their main weapon- the Ax, should resemble a two-handed type of weapon that will have the already depicted Saxon style Danish ax but with Numenorean touch.
Lastly, their role as building destroyers is pointed well since the Gondorian army already have strong unit counters. Apart from the current ,, Splitering axe blow” ability, I propose a small armor protection for own settlement built Farms since Lossarnach was fertile land and most of the population ( we may assume and predict ) in peaceful times was occupied on the fields.

Created by: Filip Georgievski

FilipGeorg95

• Thain des Auenlandes
Thanks for the help Julio, much appreciate :) :)

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
Thanks for the help Julio, much appreciate :) :)

Dear Philip, next time, should you encounter some issues with images or other features of Modding Union, just message me and I will make sure to modify your own post afterwards; it's important that the own author of a proposal present his own concept, instead of others doing that in his stead. This is just to ensure more clarity for all forum attendees.

Nevertheless, thank you for your ideas. Your historical hints are always a very good read :)

AulëTheSmith

• Elronds Berater
hey Fil i like those design and suggestions you proposed, they fit very well. Moreover your geographical and hystorical hints are of a very expert on the matter  xD
I deem also a bigger two handed axe is suitable as a weapon for destroying building  :)