28. Mär 2024, 13:01 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: The Eagles Are Coming!  (Gelesen 2753 mal)

Julio229

• Edain Betatesting
  • Gesandter der Freien Völker
  • King Of the Misty Mountains
The Eagles Are Coming!
« am: 10. Jun 2018, 01:19 »
Oakenshield224, Samsara_No_Mei (known on MU as SP19XX) and I would like to make a short suggestion concerning the Eagles. In the current patch, Eagles are not the best spellbook power. They are present in too many factions (which has been addressed through the spellbook changes), and are not the best option in combat due to their really thin "armor", resulting in them dying too fast from arrows and not doing their job all that well. Plus, screech seems a bit weird and not unique enough on them, considering it is also a feature of the Fell Beasts, where it is quite iconic and is present on a kind of unit that is more durable.

So, we have decided on two basic ways to improve the role of Eagles in 4.5, to bring the summoning of the Eagle to the uniqueness standards that the new version will bring and to make their summoning more appealing in general.

1. The most simple change is to improve their armor values towards arrows. In the current patch, Eagles barely last any time on the battlefield before falling down, so improving their armor would help in their role of disrupting the enemy infantry through attacks from above.

2. In second place, there would be a new power to replace the Screech of Gwaihir.

This would be:

Tailwind:
Each time Gwaihir attacks, all allied units and heroes in a large radius gain 25% increased movement speed for 10 seconds.

This power would reflect the nature of eagles as a beacon of hope for the forces of good. When the eagles appear in books and movies, it is always a sign of the tide turning in a good way for the Free Folks, and this power could very well reflect that.

The speed bonus is one that is not present in Gondor until now in any form, and would be only activated when the Eagles attack to keep their main role that of disrupting units: only if they attack, can the ally units get the courage to move faster and into the enemy, or doing that tactical retreat that could save them from doom. This would reflect their status as "game-changers" aswell, but keeping their main role that of disrupting the enemy forces.

This would also be a nice contrast to the Fell Beasts. Until now, both the Eagles and Fell Beasts had screech, which is much more iconic and tematically fitting to the Fell Beasts than to the Eagles. Now, the Eagles would be a better defined counterpart to the Fell Beasts. While the mounts of the Nazgûl instill fear on their enemies, the Eagles appearing on battle would give the armies of Gondor the necessary courage to turn the tide of battle.

We hope this suggestion is good, and feel free to express your thoughts!
« Letzte Änderung: 10. Jun 2018, 12:34 von Julio229 »

NoldorSithLordsShipwright

• Gast
Re: The Eagles Are Coming!
« Antwort #1 am: 10. Jun 2018, 03:56 »
Replacing Gwaihir's Screech actually is a good idea. I like that Tailwind differentiates them from the Nazgul while not damaging their current role of disruption. A support move is much more fitting for a good flying creature. And Gondor badly needs assistance with their speed.

Garlodur

• Gastwirt zu Bree
  • In Moria, in Khazad-Dûm
« Antwort #2 am: 10. Jun 2018, 12:33 »
I quite like this concept, just as a small change of direction for the spell.

Moreover, it fits the Eagles as an offensive tactic. By disturbing the enemy and allowing your own army to catch up, they really provide support from above similarly to how modern fighter planes clear up the field.

Besides, reforming the Eagles spell allows for a further connection to the iconic moment of their arrival, in front of the Black Gate at the final hour, as the Messengers of Manwë. I believe we can justify some creative liberty by incorporating Aragorn's charge for Frodo into this spell  ;) As such the spell reconnects much better with this moment that determines the end for one of two ideologies.

I do think the ability needs a bit of refining. Gwaihir attacks more than twice, maybe thrice within 10 seconds, making the active ability more passive in function. Perhaps if the bonus is limited to 2-5 seconds in a small radius underneath him, it encourages players to move him accros the front line (similar to the new King Dáin on his boar).

I would like to see this develop further, and make the Eagles great again!  ;)

Julio229

• Edain Betatesting
« Antwort #3 am: 10. Jun 2018, 12:41 »

Thanks!

Thanks!

I can agree that it may be nearing a passive ability too much depending on Gwaihir's attack speed, so that could be refined a bit :P  The timer's duration, though, I think it allows for both a quick retreat from battle and a quick advancement, and I'm not sure if the retreat aspect of it would be as easy to achieve if the timer or radius were reduced. I'd like to see what Oak and Samsara think about this, too, but it certainly can be discussed further!
« Letzte Änderung: 10. Jun 2018, 12:46 von Julio229 »

AulëTheSmith

• Elronds Berater
« Antwort #4 am: 13. Jun 2018, 00:53 »
I agree with this suggestion because Eagles needs a (definitive) rework. Very good also the replacement of "Screech", which doesn't offer any new strategy right now and it fits with fellbeasts as you rightly wrote. I like how you guys pointed out the role of "bringers of hope", because it is exactly the purpose of the Messengers of Manwë both in movies and books.

Julio229

• Edain Betatesting
« Antwort #5 am: 13. Jun 2018, 14:47 »
I agree with this suggestion because Eagles needs a (definitive) rework. Very good also the replacement of "Screech", which doesn't offer any new strategy right now and it fits with fellbeasts as you rightly wrote. I like how you guys pointed out the role of "bringers of hope", because it is exactly the purpose of the Messengers of Manwë both in movies and books.

Thanks, Aulë!  :)