28. Mär 2024, 13:14 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Sieges in 4.5, part II: Your Feedback  (Gelesen 2584 mal)

Elendils Cousin 3. Grades

• Administrator
  • Ringträger
  • German, Motherfucker! Do you speak it?
Sieges in 4.5, part II: Your Feedback
« am: 24. Jul 2018, 10:16 »
As always, we are excited to hear your opinions on the newest update - what are your impressions? Got any questions? Let us know!

Julio229

• Edain Betatesting
  • Gesandter der Freien Völker
  • King Of the Misty Mountains
Re: Sieges in 4.5, part II: Your Feedback
« Antwort #1 am: 24. Jul 2018, 11:48 »
Well, that was a good read  :P

I quite like everything you have implemented, specially since it tackles some of my issues with Edain sieges in particular, and other stuff: A more defined role for Rams that makes them a better option to get instead of just getting Catapults (same goes for all other sieging units, which now will be more useful and make sieges more interesting), giving Pikes another use instead of being a one-note used to stop Cavalry...

And particularly, the siege changes coupled with the new interesting units like Petardieres, the Hay Cart, the Siege Shield or the Dwarven Tunnel Crews will make siege much more interesting than just "Catapult Wars", as it often devolves to in 4.4.1. These changes will make it into more of an strategic "exercise", using all of the tools at your disposal to try and find a way to crack the enemies defenses open.

Overall, great job!

« Letzte Änderung: 24. Jul 2018, 11:51 von Julio229 »

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #2 am: 24. Jul 2018, 12:28 »
The final article is based on a first basic translation of mine. Given that some critiques have been made in regards to the previous siege update, don't forget to let us know whether the chosen style/wording of the text is appropriate or not, or whether you've read everything with pleasure or found it too much intricate to go through. Every suggestion is fondly welcome :)

FilipGeorg95

• Thain des Auenlandes
« Antwort #3 am: 26. Jul 2018, 21:14 »
After reading the usage of engines in 4.5 which are more specific than ever, a question arose in me: what will be the function now of the "traditional" monsters like Ents, Trolls, Oliphaunts that are good against buildings and bases. Will they have an overhaul against certain damage types from the castles in form of increased defense or increased attack against certain base points ? ( i.e Ents against walls, Trolls vs. gates, Oliphaunts vs. walls and defensive towers/catapults )

AulëTheSmith

• Elronds Berater
« Antwort #4 am: 27. Jul 2018, 15:50 »
The final article is based on a first basic translation of mine. Given that some critiques have been made in regards to the previous siege update, don't forget to let us know whether the chosen style/wording of the text is appropriate or not, or whether you've read everything with pleasure or found it too much intricate to go through. Every suggestion is fondly welcome :)

I personally deem the article quite "direct" and "linear",gentle Walküre  :) No complex languare or too much degression in it.
About the core of the article i appreciate the changes, i just was quite sure you guys are studying and testying every siege aspect in details. I'm sure there will no problem of balance when the patch will come out. A question, following Filip: what about the role of the monsters? And what about the weakness against tower now that towers have been nerfed?

Elendils Cousin 3. Grades

• Administrator
  • Ringträger
  • German, Motherfucker! Do you speak it?
« Antwort #5 am: 27. Jul 2018, 17:33 »
Ents in ranged mode function pretty much like other catapults.

Trolls work similar to cavalry with forged blades in that they are very quick and do high damage while still being relatively vulnerable to towers. That hasn't changed all that much. Trolls with siege hammers will do well against nearly all buildings due to their high health pool and amazing damage, but they're also very expensive - rams or catapults might be a better choice against a well defended position. Monsters such as trolls (werewolves even more so) can and should use their mobility to hit undefended targets, because in a frontal assault on fortified positions they are not as efficient as siege weapons.

NoldorSithLordsShipwright

• Gast
« Antwort #6 am: 28. Jul 2018, 12:00 »
I love how two walled factions (Dwarves and Angmar) are now gaining ways to circumvent walls. This opens up a lot of strategic possibility for them now.

Love the changes. Looking forward to the next update article.

Aranruth

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #7 am: 28. Jul 2018, 17:58 »
I love the changes that you all have highlighted here. On a similar note, which factions, if any, will be getting new siege engines? I remember hearing that Imladris would be getting a new one (casting my vote for a Lindon Ballista)  :D but I'm curious to know if there are any other additions planned.

Joragon

• Edain Ehrenmember
  • Beschützer des verbotenen Weihers
« Antwort #8 am: 28. Jul 2018, 18:43 »
It's great to hear that you like our changes.

There are a lot new siege units that were already presented in some previous updates. Aside from them there are no new siege units planned. We want to finish Edain 4.5 as soon as possible so our main priorities are the two remaining spellbooks. But there are still some other things that are planned and aren't presented in updates yet, so stay tuned!

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #9 am: 28. Jul 2018, 23:30 »
I remember hearing that Imladris would be getting a new one (casting my vote for a Lindon Ballista) :D but I'm curious to know if there are any other additions planned.

Hello! I just had a look at the Imladris siege thread we had opened back in the day, and I remember you proposing the addition of another siege weapon for the faction. I myself am still quite unsure about ballistae, but I'm more than happy if people have other ideas to throw around. That was a truly fruitful discussion and I feel it could benefit the forum once more. So, feel totally free to make your voice be heard; even if there might not be something more planned for siege, it would be fine to rekindle the flame of activity along those boards :)

Aranruth

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #10 am: 29. Jul 2018, 18:48 »
Ah I see, my mistake then. Regardless, I'm excited to play Imladris in 4.5 but will keep proposing a ballista option. I just think that it would make sense for the faction of Cirdan, who is being revamped as more architecturally focused, to possess a variant of the most complex yet graceful siege engines. However, this would probably have to come with a redevelopment/nerf of the Loremasters for the sake of balance.

And thank you Walk for your unwavering devotion to free and open discussion. It's always a pleasure reading your concepts and opinions. I truly think that your presence is one of the elements of Edain that makes this mod great.

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #11 am: 29. Jul 2018, 22:04 »
As you said, Círdan has been given a slightly different role than before and I can assure you he'll fare well as a siege-oriented hero; this is also very much in tune with his own lore: someone mastering the secrets of the seas and ship-crafting, while he's always represented the most loyal and resilient guardian of the shore, too.

And thank you Walk for your unwavering devotion to free and open discussion. It's always a pleasure reading your concepts and opinions. I truly think that your presence is one of the elements of Edain that makes this mod great.

Thank you very much, I didn't expect it. Your kind words really flatter me. What has made this community wonderful is also the passion of people like you and all those who stayed true to their convictions, when even the toughest matters were being discussed. Thanks, again, from the whole of my heart :)

FilipGeorg95

• Thain des Auenlandes
« Antwort #12 am: 30. Jul 2018, 14:35 »
What I was thinking about was how difficult will be for a player that has no Heal spell ( both Good or Evil ) to assault a fully upgraded castle ? We saw that certain factions have access to heal via heroes or special units but, wouldn't it be still a problem if the defender ( Dwarves, Rivendell, Angmar, Gondor for example ) barricades himself and while using all possibilities drains a massive army that has a lot of fighting potential but no supplies ? I also consider that this should not result into losing the whole offensive that will cost not only force but more important, terrain control and resources.
On a side note though, certain maps that are usually narrowed ( Stonewain, Nanduhirion, Last Bridge ( new one for 4.5 ) and many more ) how will they function now when all settlement buildings don't have defensive towers ? Will the players defend those and return asap to their bases for heal until some takes the initiative for a full scale assault ?