28. Mär 2024, 13:51 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: About Castle Gates  (Gelesen 1978 mal)

AulëTheSmith

• Elronds Berater
About Castle Gates
« am: 14. Sep 2018, 14:42 »
Hello everyone;
i'd like to share with you some thoughts about defending the castle gates. In the new patch we will see the defensive/offensive options increased, but still i think that the besieger will concentrate his effort trying to break down the gate, being it the weakest point, while in the meantime using siege tower to keep the defender busy on multiple sides.
For this reason i would like to give an extra option for the defender to actively protect his gate. Many times it happens that you can't do anything by looking your opponent (AI or real player) breaking down very quickly your castle gate while you're frenetically trying to concentrate fire against both enemy archers and battering rams (which they will become slower in attack-pace but more resistant in armor and attack value in the next version, am i right?). In the movies we have seen many times a scene in which soldiers actively try to reinforce the gate using props or they own strength also. I'd start with this idea and try to specifically expand it for factions that need extra defence. Let's analyse each of the 5 factions that actually have walls/gates:

- Gondor: it's the only faction that can actually reinforce life points and armor of the gate permanently, also it has wall crane  now which repairs quickly the walls too. It is fine as it is.

- Angmar: the new option "Bastion of the Winter" should be powerful enough giving you the time you need to re-organize troops and attempt a new assault against the attacker. That's fine.

- Rohan: i suggest a new purchasable option in the citadel (cost to be decided) called "On the gate", or "Reinforce the gate". By clicking on the gate you will visually see some rohan soldiers appearing (the model of armored peasant would fit perfectly) in front of the gate that prop up the doors with some rafters (see the picture below, the moment just before the last ride of Theoden and Aragorn against Uruks).
The effect: the gate has +50% armor and it is repaired slightly faster when out of combat for a period of time, but it cannot be opened during the effect. I suggest a long cool down to avoid abusing.

- Dwarves: the defensive faction by definition. It will be the only one with an effective defensive option right in front of the gate such as the boiling oil. I anyway suppose it will not be effective against battering rams and monsters  (if i'm wrong i'll take back my words  :D :D) . An extra rune could be a good idea in my opinion. The dwarves are famous to use moonlight runes to protect their gates. Moreover,  The Rune of involability i don't think it will work on the gate .
So the new option (cost TBD) , purchasable in the citadel, could be called like "Moonlight Rune", or "Sealing Rune": by left clicking, the door is sealed and cannot be opened nor repaired but is invunerable for some time. The sealed gate will be visually recognizable by a mark (in the form of a shiny rune ) right above it. I suggest again a long cool down to avoid abusing.

- Imladris: i currently have any good idea on how to improve the defense of the gate. It should be even more an important theme of Rivendell since it is a very late-game faction. So you need all the possible defensive options while you are slowly upgrading your army, especially against aggressive factions like Mordor. I would like to hear your suggestions  xD.

EDIT: Necro reminded me about floodgates which are really effective against both units and siege weapons, also Seleukos point out that loremasters can apply a disrupting ability on the gate too, a things that i wasn't aware of. So Imladris also is just currently fine in defense.

Let me know what do you think on the matter ;)

« Letzte Änderung: 15. Sep 2018, 12:29 von AulëTheSmith »

Seleukos I.

• Edain Balancetester
  • Galadhrim
Re: About Castle Gates
« Antwort #1 am: 14. Sep 2018, 18:10 »
Hello,
I really like this idea.
About Imladris:
Zitat
I would like to hear your suggestions  .
Have you ever used the ability of the loremasters (air-stone combination) on the gate? It's really funny to see all this Orcs flying around.^^

regardes
Seleukos I.

The_Necromancer0

• Edain Team
  • Beschützer des verbotenen Weihers
  • There is evil there that does not sleep
« Antwort #2 am: 14. Sep 2018, 18:20 »
I like the rohan suggestion. I think the rest of the walled factions already have a defensive options so it’s pretty handy. Dont forget that imladris has flood gates.
Come chat Edain on Discord: https://discord.gg/CMhkeb8
Questions on the Mod? Visit the Official Wiki: http://edain.wikia.com/

AulëTheSmith

• Elronds Berater
« Antwort #3 am: 15. Sep 2018, 10:38 »
Have you ever used the ability of the loremasters (air-stone combination) on the gate? It's really funny to see all this Orcs flying around.^^

Didn't know that because honestly i'm not a big fan of loremasters. But now that you told me it's worth a try  :D. Thank you anyway for your reminder this option is clearly a point in favor of Rivendell defense  :)

I like the rohan suggestion. I think the rest of the walled factions already have a defensive options so it’s pretty handy. Dont forget that imladris has flood gates.

Damn me, yes you are right Necro! and also floodgates do a non-negligible damage against siege weapons  [ugly]
After your and Seleukos' reminders i will correct the part about Imladris, because it is not necessary any new option for them.

Still, Necro, i would say that the Dwarves have another disadvantage: unlike the other faction they cannot have the support of the cavarly. Ok you could say me about Iron Hills and ram riders, but it is only one realm and is pretty an elite unit, you must spend a lot plus you are forced to recruit Narin if you want the complete battalion.
Also battle wagons cannot pass through the postern-gates so i would say they are mostly a tool used during attack rather than defense.
All of this to say: if there is a massive attack in front of the gate, the dwarves cannot interveen as quickly as other factions.  Note that i'm talking as simple fan who "ignores" what is the current state of gameplay in 4.5. Which is something that ONly Beta testers and team know. So if you're going to tell me that overall the new tools compensate this disadvantage, then i will trust you on the word :D

About Rohan, it is mainly an aggressive faction, but i thought that deserves something more when you are confined in you castle. The inspiration comes from the picture  ;)
« Letzte Änderung: 15. Sep 2018, 12:33 von AulëTheSmith »