29. Mär 2024, 05:33 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Map specific Heroes and Units  (Gelesen 2431 mal)

NorthRanger

• Hobbit
Map specific Heroes and Units
« am: 5. Okt 2018, 01:40 »
I have been reading in the faction forums how people have been suggesting adding new heroes or units to the game, but have been met with arguments against these because of balance issues, heroes not mixing well with the role system or already hero-heavy rosters. So I thought I would suggest perhaps adding these minor heroes or units to the specific maps in which they appear in the books/movies, like what was done with Tauriel on the Mirkwood map. These could be recruited from the citadel or an appropriate building within the specific faction. Some examples are:

Mablung and Damrod - one (or more?) Of the Ithilien maps

Furlong the Fat - Lossarnach map

Easterlings - Rhun map

Morranon Orcs (Gothmog's summoned troops) - Black gate map

Suladan the Serpent Lord - Pelennor Fields and/or Harad maps

Haradrim Raiders - Harad maps

Mauhaur - Eaves of Fangorn

Grishnakh - Eaves of Fangorn

I'm sure there are plenty of others. Also gives the opportunity to add niche units for that specific map that don't appear anywhere else.

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
Re: Map specific Heroes and Units
« Antwort #1 am: 5. Okt 2018, 15:21 »
First and foremost, welcome to Modding Union :)

As you've fairly put it, map-specific units are not only an intriguing addition to the game, but also an opportunity to give life to something that, otherwise, would not have the proper chance to be (due to balance-related issues, mainly). Said that, I believe it's not at all an evil to suggest some types of exotic/extravagant units which could fare well in the Mod.

My only concern, though, is the supposed bonus and effectiveness boost that the target faction then acquires by the inclusion of additional features, whether it be units or heroes. That is, I presume that one of the challenges entailed by such proposal would be to ensure that one of the two or more parties involved will not enjoy so generous an advantage, to the point of breaking balance altogether. Plus, I feel like remarking, it ought to be noted that special units are named so for the exact fact of being 'special'; hence, a limited number of them is another strong yet needed limitation, methinks. A proliferation of them would just defy the founding purpose, I would say. However, keeping things unique would be more than fine to achieve the said goal.

NorthRanger

• Hobbit
« Antwort #2 am: 6. Okt 2018, 02:17 »
Thanks  for the welcome Walkure.

Yes I agree with you completely on all your points. I'd rather not see these extra units and heroes break any balance or give a specific faction an added advantage. Hence any special elite units like the morranon Orcs (or are they called black guard, can't remember off the top of my head) should indeed be limited to 3 or even 1 battalion. Most of the heroes I have proposed are only minor characters, with perhaps the exception of Suladan, and i would consider them to be somewhere between Rohan's captains and Gamling in strength depending on the importance of the character. As I mentioned in the original post I deem most of these heroes to be comparable to Tauriel on the Mirkwood map.

Some of the other more soldier level units could possibly replace an existing unit or that given map. For example on Lossarnach instead of Gondor being able to recruit the Gondor Soldiers from the barracks they could instead be replaced with Lossarnch Axeman. I don't know if that would be possible to do or not, but I believe it would maintain the balance and be more loyal to the books, as well as a bit more variety and uniqueness to maps.
« Letzte Änderung: 6. Okt 2018, 02:31 von NorthRanger »

Tiberius Ogden

• Gast
« Antwort #3 am: 28. Feb 2019, 01:38 »
It's really wonderful idea and I hope that would be interesting for Edain mappers to implement these various units and heroes to various Edain maps. Proposed list doesn't end, I could continue with Blue Wizards etc.
Such suggestion is back to roots, back to BFME1, where extra units were pleasant surprise on individual maps.

Gandalf7000

• Heiler von Imladris
  • I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me.
« Antwort #4 am: 28. Feb 2019, 13:39 »
Oh, i'm for it. It would be very interesting.

JackyJack

• Hobbit
  • They're taking the rum to Isengard !
« Antwort #5 am: 7. Mär 2019, 03:44 »
Hello everyone ! :D

As far as I know, Glorfindel23 is creating a submod for Edain mod and in this mod, he will add new factions playable only on the maps where they are supposed to be (like Arnor in Edain mod).
This features Gondor fiefdoms (Lossarnach, Pelargir, Blackroot Vale, Pinnath Gelin, Lamedon, Dol Amroth and Ringlo Vale), Gondor cities (Osgiliath, Minas Tirith), Harad and Rhun factions and subfactions (Khand, tribes of the East...), new dwarven factions (Ered Mithrin, Khazad Dum...), new Dalian units...etc

It's a mod that I follow because of its creativity and visuals (and I suggest you to do the same :p )

Here is the link : https://www.moddb.com/mods/glorfindel23-submod

And here a link for another submod that has the same principle (but I prefer Glorfindel's one) : https://www.moddb.com/mods/folk-of-middle-earth-edain-submod
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us