28. Mär 2024, 23:46 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Gifts of Lórien  (Gelesen 17977 mal)

Tiberius Ogden

• Gast
Gifts of Lórien
« am: 24. Jan 2019, 00:43 »
Gifts of Lórien

I've reworked famous Galadriel's ability in order to be more unique and fit to every hero. I don't think that Galadriel is walking armory, so I stayed loyal to Tolkien and focused my effort rather on smaller and meaningful things:

Purpose of my proposal is to make Galadriel's slot for level three more useful and enjoyable in the game, especially when her whole skillset is now connected to heroes.
And make famous ability really nice agan like in the previous version.

FOR

1. Tiberius Ogden
2. Walküre
3. officialNecro
4. Gandalf7000
5. OakenShield224
6. tolgayurdal
7. dkbluewizard
8. SP19XX
9. )-(albarad
« Letzte Änderung: 28. Feb 2019, 00:29 von Tiberius Ogden »

The_Necromancer0

• Edain Team
  • Beschützer des verbotenen Weihers
  • There is evil there that does not sleep
Re: Gifts of Lórien
« Antwort #1 am: 24. Jan 2019, 00:52 »
I really like Rumil and Orophin's one. However, I don't think the prideful Thranduil would accept a ghaladrim blade, nor do I think a raw damage buff is more interesting or unique than his current mechanic. Although I did always wonder what gift Galadriel granted Thranduil since the armor is most likely his already... Perhaps this would be a good time to rework the description of Thranduil's gift to fit more his character without editing the mechanic.
Come chat Edain on Discord: https://discord.gg/CMhkeb8
Questions on the Mod? Visit the Official Wiki: http://edain.wikia.com/

Tiberius Ogden

• Gast
« Antwort #2 am: 24. Jan 2019, 01:20 »
I really like Rumil and Orophin's one. However, I don't think the prideful Thranduil would accept a ghaladrim blade, nor do I think a raw damage buff is more interesting or unique than his current mechanic. Although I did always wonder what gift Galadriel granted Thranduil since the armor is most likely his already...

I've removed Galadhrim blades and added gem gift.  ;)
Thranduil would definitely accept some gem, especially silver gem. Galadriel probably has some special gems since time in Valinor. I would add something simple - it's gem enchanted by high sorceress after all ... so magic resistance would be fine.  :)
« Letzte Änderung: 25. Jan 2019, 18:58 von Tiberius Ogden »

The_Necromancer0

• Edain Team
  • Beschützer des verbotenen Weihers
  • There is evil there that does not sleep
« Antwort #3 am: 24. Jan 2019, 01:21 »
Perhaps such a fancy gift would make Thranduil more keen to involve additional troops in the battles and take it more seriously, hence the armor doning?
Come chat Edain on Discord: https://discord.gg/CMhkeb8
Questions on the Mod? Visit the Official Wiki: http://edain.wikia.com/

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #4 am: 24. Jan 2019, 13:48 »
Thranduil would definitely accept some gem, especially silver gem. Galadriel probably has some special gems since time in Valinor.
But what will be in-game effect? ;)

Right, this would be a brilliant in-game explanation. I think people wouldn't mind discovering that Galadriel had stashed some shiny gems away with her, while leaving Aman. By the way, she was part of the ruling royal family of Kôr (Tirion) and likely owned an awful load of treasures, since the Noldor were famed smiths.

Perhaps such a fancy gift would make Thranduil more keen to involve additional troops in the battles and take it more seriously, hence the armor doning?

Well, we might need to find a sort of compromise and smart solution that could keep together many vital elements pertaining to the Woodland King. So far, this is how I have figured things out:

1. Granting him access to his silver armour via the Gifts is wrong on so many levels, and we already agreed on that. The next step would be to decide whether he should be recruited already armoured or not. Personally, I'm thoroughly against the former option. A passive ability that endows him with a regal armour (at level 5) I like very much, because it mirrors how Elrond's design also works, and this is in tune with a great commander-like characterisation.
So, I say his silver armour should come with the new level-5 passive ability (part of Tiberius' concept).

2. What to do, then, with this hypothetical enchanted stone? Which kind of prodigious powers could a gem be imbued with?

I believe the answer is plain and simple, before us to be contemplated with wide eyes: recycling existing (wonderful) concepts :)
I get that the current Arcane Shield functions quite weirdly, and it even makes less of a sense, when circumscribed in its actual context; I mean, why in the world would a magical shield spawn so casually? Thranduil is no sorcerer either. So, I suppose that the shield would go hand in hand with the Lady's gem quite well. In my opinion, both as a graphical and conceptual feature, this special typology of protection was and is still revolutionary. Seeing it altogether gone from the Mod would result in a considerable loss, and I always mourn the departure of precious content. Needless to say, it is to highlight Galadriel's magic more deeply than an armour currently does. What do you think?

Defence against enemy magic (spells and attacks) sounds really good! Galadriel as a provider of a long-lasting incantation, channeled by the gem, instead of being a walking armoury ;)
« Letzte Änderung: 24. Jan 2019, 13:52 von Walküre »

Gandalf7000

• Heiler von Imladris
  • I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me.
« Antwort #5 am: 24. Jan 2019, 14:15 »
I like it. It's better than the current concept. Highlights the roles of the present heroes, which is what the Gifts of Lorien should do.

OakenShield224

• Elbischer Pilger
  • Welcome, my sister-sons, to the Kingdom of Erebor!
« Antwort #6 am: 24. Jan 2019, 14:32 »
I like these ideas. I'm not entirely sure about the magic resistance for Thranduil though. It seems a bit limited. Maybe expand it to elemental damage (fire, frost and poison) as well?

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #7 am: 24. Jan 2019, 14:39 »
I was thinking about elemental damage as well, but then it seemed to me too much. This magical shield provides him with a permanent defence; wouldn't including elemental damage make him too resistant? Keep in mind that his new level-5 ability (which I hope will be passive) is to increase armour against monsters and award him a splash-type attack. Together with his silver armour :)

OakenShield224

• Elbischer Pilger
  • Welcome, my sister-sons, to the Kingdom of Erebor!
« Antwort #8 am: 24. Jan 2019, 14:41 »
I guess so. If necessary, I guess you could reduce the total resistance value (i.e. the value that the armour increases by).

Tiberius Ogden

• Gast
« Antwort #9 am: 24. Jan 2019, 19:01 »
I get that the current Arcane Shield functions quite weirdly, and it even makes less of a sense, when circumscribed in its actual context; I mean, why in the world would a magical shield spawn so casually? Thranduil is no sorcerer either. So, I suppose that the shield would go hand in hand with the Lady's gem quite well. In my opinion, both as a graphical and conceptual feature, this special typology of protection was and is still revolutionary. Seeing it altogether gone from the Mod would result in a considerable loss

It wouldn't be gone, I suggest to move it to CaH. There it would be unique enough. :P
Yes, bubble could be visual upgrade of magic resistance, which would mean that bubble would be still active.  xD ... It doesn't really help to players who just don't like bubble not only conceptually, but also visually.
Well, that is maybe the problem - bubble has quite aggresive rich blue color, that's why doesn't naturally fit to Middle-earth, where white magic is primarily represented through flashes of light.
So I suggest use light blue, rather translucent color, for bubble shield. :)
It'll help.

I like it. It's better than the current concept. Highlights the roles of the present heroes

Yes, that was the idea. :)
But mainly I wanted to make it more unique than generic armor upgrades. I always considered Edain mod strong in the details.
Lorien's mystical nature was important for me, too. Enchanted things, mystical waters, lanterns ... also connections to nature (Grimbeorn) or even ancient nature (Ents).

I like these ideas. I'm not entirely sure about the magic resistance for Thranduil though. It seems a bit limited. Maybe expand it to elemental damage

Gifts shouldn't be so strong, rather cosmetic upgrades which add slight buffs, cause they are now linked to Galadriel's skillset - their purpose is channeling her abilities. ;)
« Letzte Änderung: 24. Jan 2019, 19:25 von Tiberius Ogden »

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #10 am: 24. Jan 2019, 19:08 »
True, although I like the bubble (visually), I understand that holier FX might befit him better. Magic, and not science-fiction :)

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #11 am: 25. Jan 2019, 17:55 »
On Tiberius' request, I have split the topic from the main Galadriel thread. This will allow us to concentrate on the Gifts of Lórien solely, since the concept touches many different matters and heroes.

In case there weren't any solution available, or necessity required that, I can simply re-merge the topic with its mother-thread. So, risks of thread proliferation will be thus avoided :)

--- SPLIT ---

Tiberius Ogden

• Gast
« Antwort #12 am: 25. Jan 2019, 18:49 »
On Tiberius' request, I have split the topic from the main Galadriel thread.

I don't prefer topics which were split (Walküre knows xD), but Galadriel as a whole (it means normal form, ring forms and demo forms from the spellbook) is already reworked, so we can leave her thread which will eventually become one of the most ancient threads of the English forum. :P

Gifts of Lorien ability I've always considered to be faction ability, rather than Galadriel's ability. It was in the spellbook in the versions before 4.0 after all. And now faction aspect was once again stressed because you can reach heroes and do additional effects with that skill.
So we can say that although we can find gifts in Galadriel's skillset, we can also say that such ability quite stands above hero, above her.
That's why I think that gifts deserve own thread.

Not to mention that for me it always was the most beautiful ability in the entire game, because it's cleverly implemented and mainly ... it's so Tolkienish. :)
And we should preserve its uniqueness.

By the way I've "heavily" edited my first post, and added some ingame effects for consideration. ;) 
« Letzte Änderung: 25. Jan 2019, 20:41 von Tiberius Ogden »

tolgayurdal

• Gast
« Antwort #13 am: 25. Jan 2019, 22:15 »
Hi guys! I really like the latest rework of gifts you've made. The most charming gift is obviously Thranduil's gem, nothing fits better then it to him. Celeborn's is detailed and logical. Almost anything new was acceptable for Orophin and Rumil cause they are really boring with this way, but after considering them as scout heroes, the lantern would be the best choise. Legolas and Haldir remain canonical. Grimbeorn's new axe has been thought for a long time but the effect contains the role of your reworked Thranduil conscept, btw I support it.

I think one of Treebeard and Quickbeam should have mallorn seed as plot for strategicly. Every faction except Mordor has building summon in their spellbook. (Lone Tower= Gondor, Dwarves, Arnor?,  Druadan Statue=Rohan, Resting Camp=Imladris, Lumber mill=Isengard, Dark Obelisk= Angmar). It provides a shelter or a quarter besides exterior plots. Lorien has only the feast for one simultaneusly. Now a mallorn tree maybe with Refuge in the Woods spell would work for the same reasons.
« Letzte Änderung: 25. Jan 2019, 22:23 von tolgayurdal »

Tiberius Ogden

• Gast
« Antwort #14 am: 25. Jan 2019, 23:45 »
I really like the latest rework of gifts you've made.

Thanks and be welcome! xD

Grimbeorn's new axe has been thought for a long time but the effect contains the role of your reworked Thranduil conscept, btw I support it.

It's not a problem. It would add only small Area of effect damage. Grimbeorn still will have mass slayer aspect, like Legolas or Galadriel. In Lorien just isn't clear mass slayer like Gandalf, Dwalin or Mollock.
And Thranduil won't be clear mass slayer, too. There are still dominant unit support skills, because overall unit support isn't so present like mass slayer aspects in Lorien.
We'll see.

I think one of Treebeard and Quickbeam should have mallorn seed as plot for strategicly.

I still have it in my mind - mallorn seed would be great recyclation and Treebeard is after all shepherd of the forest! It fits pretty well!

Problem is that central spell already adds something similar ... 8-|

Zitat
The Central Spell: Elven Wood
Creates a Heart Tree around which a forest grows that hides allies within.
After a while, it also lets them use Ambush of the Wood-Elves even when detected and reduces its cooldown.

But we should think in similar way ... and both ents have free slots so something active is clear choice.
« Letzte Änderung: 26. Jan 2019, 01:46 von Tiberius Ogden »