29. Mär 2024, 16:52 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Changing the glowing effects of Forged Blades  (Gelesen 1811 mal)

dgsgomes

• Pförtner von Bree
  • "If by my life or death I can protect you, I will"
Changing the glowing effects of Forged Blades
« am: 25. Okt 2019, 12:54 »
First of all, I'd like to make it clear that this post is not about the appearance changes in "heavy armour" upgrade nor about the arrow upgrades of any unit in the game so far; these look visually perfect in the game, as they are beautiful but still easily noticeble.

Here I wanna talk about the "forged blades" upgrade; its a common complain from players that even though they are supposed to be noticed in all units of a battalion, the upgraded weapons look like "lightsabers" - this is, of course, a thing since Vanilla, but it bothers many players purely for aesthetics reasons, including myself.

As Edain appreciate these little details, I've been thinking about a way of changing this matter recently... And I saw a thing that gave me an idea when I was playing Imladris: the elven units from this faction get a discrete and beautiful whitish grey glowing effect when they research their "forged blades" upgrade analog the second time!

So, here is my PROPOSAL:
- Give all good units the whitish grey glowing effect when they research "forged blades" (the brightness could be more intense to make it more perceptible);
- Give all evil units a blackened grey glowing effect when they research "forged blades" (this would make a perfect opposition to the good units weapons and would also look awesome visually)
- Give Imladris units's second "forged blades" upgrade the blue glowing effect (to keep this reference from the Vanilla and also to stand out even more - when you see that your opponents Imladris' troops get the "blue lightsaber", it meens you are probably screwed  :D)
Note: the red glowing effect could be a thing as well to differenciate when Uruks with "forged blades" receive the weapon upgrade from the "Isengard Steelworks" in an analog way of the Imladris' second weapon upgrade, but I don't see how to give a different look to a second armor and bolts upgrade from this outpost in an analog way - perphaps giving a white hand icon on the chest and helmet for the armor upgrade and differentiating the bolts from a darker colour to the actual colour could be a great thing

IN FAVOUR

1. GildorInglorion

AGAINST

Smeargollum

• Edain Balancetester
  • Gesandter der Freien Völker
  • #teamfish
Re: Changing the glowing effects of Forged Blades
« Antwort #1 am: 25. Okt 2019, 13:30 »
Hello,
I can understand you opinion that it does not look good when all units have this "lightsabers". But for me as a multiplayer player I have no problem with this "lightsaber" bacause it is improtant that you know what upgrades the other player has so you can decide if you want to take the fight or not.
In bfme 2 vanilla it was even more drastic because the heavy armor was golden so you just knew what units had what upgrades. This is the best possible way for the gameplay.
In edain we already have the situation, that it is very hard to see the diffrence betwenn units with and without heavy amore. That hurts the gameplay a little bit but I think the most player are fine with it. So why not also change the forged blandes?  :o
So I am not sure how good you can see this masterblades of Imladris but I think it would be a great compromise between gameplay and the visual effect to give this effect to all units with forged blades.
So in short form:
I have no problem with it as it is now and I like it but when there are a lot of players who would like to get a change I would be fine with this grey visual effenct you suggested.

Best regards Smeargollum

"What if the real balance was the friends we made along the way?"

FG15

• Administrator
  • Ringträger
« Antwort #2 am: 25. Okt 2019, 14:36 »
Such a change would require reworking every single object with forged blades.

dgsgomes

• Pförtner von Bree
  • "If by my life or death I can protect you, I will"
« Antwort #3 am: 26. Okt 2019, 02:17 »
Thanks for the replies!

To Smeargollum:
Yes, I understand the concern with multiplayer games, and that is why I said it should not be implemented if it were to not be easily noticeble... That is why little adjustements like changing contrast and brightness should be a thing to make it possible in a way it could look beautiful and it would not hurt online gameplay  :)

To FG15:
I'm sure it would be a time consuming work... But I really think it would be worth it. Anyway, it's your call; I can't do anything else other then accept whatever may be  :D

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #4 am: 28. Okt 2019, 17:01 »
I more or less find myself in support of the aforementioned replies. Although devising even more differentiated solutions is seldom uninteresting or futile, we have to deal with the relative workload that said graphical proposals would entail; the case being, that is really a demanding effort to carry on, which I doubt developers would want to burden their shoulders further. Therefore, despite agreeing with the core reasoning, I have to speak against the suggestion (for now). Maybe, future sunnier days will bring the right chance to seize for this to happen ;)

Moreover, I do remember there being a similar suggestion in the past. The team pointed out that 'blurring' visual differences even more, however noble the intent, would have caused confusion during matches, as players would find it harder to tell upgraded units apart. This is, basically, the argument presented in the above-written comment, that I view as more than reasonable boundaries not to be crossed.

Halbarad

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Soldat Gondors
« Antwort #5 am: 28. Okt 2019, 17:53 »
Could it maybe be possible to make a stronger glowing effect when playing on low(er) graphics? Multiplayer is often played on a lower settings than singleplayer, so that way the issue for most multiplayers could be fixed and singleplayer would be happy about the beautiful graphic.

FG15

• Administrator
  • Ringträger
« Antwort #6 am: 5. Nov 2019, 11:59 »
Different models for different graphic settings have often caused assynchrons in MP games in the past.

And as I already said reworking the forged blade effects would require to redo every single model using them, which is a ton of work and therefore extremy unlikely to happen.

Canis carcharothias

• Thain des Auenlandes
« Antwort #7 am: 6. Nov 2019, 22:00 »
I think that if changes are to be made in the glowing FX of forged weapons we shoud center our attention not in changing the models but in completely eliminating said glow and replacing it with a simple marker.

Something subtle as changing the color of the level markers that units display above them when they level up (unupgraded -standard color; upgraded - blue, green or any color that is a little bit more striking than the standard) or adding a small chevron or any other kind of marker above said level markers when unit is upgraded.

With that said, I don't even have a clue of how feasible are the changes that I just mentioned given the game engine.
« Letzte Änderung: 6. Nov 2019, 22:03 von Canis carcharothias »