28. Mär 2024, 16:51 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Changing size of some battalions to improve game performance  (Gelesen 1565 mal)

dgsgomes

• Pförtner von Bree
  • "If by my life or death I can protect you, I will"
Considering that Edain was made based on an old game with lots of engine limitations, even small attempts to improve game performance are relevant; some recent changes, like reducing maximum command points from 1800 to 1500 in regular matches or increasing command points required for some troops and heroes, did help on that matter.

However, the game performance still has some room to be improved; we can see that games with more players (on multiplayer) or more AIs tend to be more buggy, specially when the map is crowded with huge armies moving around during a match, Mordor being the most known example to most for causing this issue because of it's massive amount of troops.

For this reason, I'd like to suggest to change the number of units for some battalions of the game with the goal to reduce excessive units on matches and improve gameplay experience. The change would be as shown below:

- Gondor soldiers, archers and pikemen and Fiefdom reinforcements: from 15 to 10 units for each battalion;

- Rohan peasants, farmhands, archers and traitors: from 15 to 10 units for each battalion;

- Dale swordsmen, archers and pikemen and Laketown swordsmen, archers and pikemen: from 15 to 10 units for each battalion;

- Mordor orc fighters, archers and pikemen: from 20 to 15 units for each battalion;
- Mordor halberdiers: from 15 to 10 units for each battalion;

- Isengard orcs: from 20 to 15 units for each battalion;
- Isengard urukcrossbowmen, fighters and pikemen and wildmen of Dunland fighters, pikemen and axethrowers: from 15 to 10 units for each battalion;

- Angmar orc fighters: from 20 to 15 units for each battalion
- Angmar Rhudaur spearmen and axethrowers: from 15 to 10 units for each battalion.

Therefore, I believe that doing so the gameplay can be improved and, as the changes were subtle, there will be no feeling that armies with many units, such as Mordor or Angmar, will be poorly represented.

In Favour

Against

Birds

• Edain Team
  • Bibliothekar Bruchtals
Re: Changing size of some battalions to improve game performance
« Antwort #1 am: 13. Nov 2020, 16:06 »
I don't think that would work. Sure smaller bataillons would help performance, but it would require a completly new balance and even if all those things would be done, it would probably still lag.
Creating some performance friendly models for low graphics is probably the better solution.