[en] The Prancing Pony > The Lord of the Rings

Neo-Black Speech and Neo-Orcish

(1/3) > >>

Radagast der Musikalische:
Hello all,

lately I've been studying the languages of Middle-earth more often, especially David Salo's Neo-Languages for the movies. I have tried to analyze the film quotes in Orcish and Black Speech from the two film trilogies using the available materials. For Neo-Elvish and Neo-Khuzdul there are already many reliable sources, for the languages of Sauron's servants the situation is unfortunately a bit different. The information available here is very limited and one of the main problems is that neither the English nor the German subtitles use the correct translations for the sentences. For example: The subtitle in the movies says: "They guard the gates! Not all of them!". The spoken Orcish lines translate to: "Now some sleep! Ugly Elves! They guard their territory!". But I tried my best to gather as many translations as possible.

I don't know if there are any other nerds here who are as excited about the languages as I am, but I thought I'd share my findings here just in case anyone is interested.  [ugly] For all of them I also have a derivation, which I have omitted here because the presentation cannot be reasonably accomplished in the narrow MU window. If someone is interested in the derivation, the individual word and sentence parts or the pronunciation of a quote, just ask and I will help. :)

EnglishGundabad OrcishSubtitle in the moviesAN UNEXPECTED JOURNEYAN UNEXPECTED JOURNEYAN UNEXPECTED JOURNEYYou will all die!Goryagug!-Inform our master!Zidgar durgim!Send word to the master...We’ve found the dwarf-maggot.Khozd-buzbi gimanim.…we have found the dwarf-scum.There, wizard!Kogum, zidgu!-Tear him apart!Ragshid!-The Dwarves, they travels towards East! Hurry!Khozdayin harish huru nar! Gur!The Dwarf-scum are over there!
After them!The Dwarves, master we lost them!Khozdayin, dorguz zuranimid!The Dwarves, Master...we lost them!Filthy Elves surrounded us!Shûgi golgai gelnakhanishim!Ambushed by Elvish filth, we were!I don’t want excuses!Sha nargiz obhakhtil!I don’t want excuses!I want the head of the Dwarf King!Nargiz khobdi rani khozdil!I want the head of the Dwarf King! They were too many!Murganish dum! They were too many!There was nothing we could do!Turim hag shad!There was nothing we could do!I barely escaped with my life.Zorzor go-kairaz obguraniz.I barely escaped with my life.Better you had paid with it.Ki go-kairag baganig ombar bunish. Far better you had paid with it.The Dwarf-scum will not stay hidden for long.Khozd-shrakhun gud shâ kilyash-zag.The Dwarf-scum will show themselves soon enough.They will try to cross the Mountain passes.Giryashi taryash kirgayil.--deleted scene--Send out word that there is a price on their heads.Zidgar obod tung nash ru khobdud.Send out word there is a price on their heads.The scent is fresh.Nuzdun gin nash.The scent is fresh.The dwarfdogs, they try to cross through the mountain pass.Khozd-shrakhun ord-kirg gir hir haranish.They have taken the mountain pass.Run them down! Tear them to pieces!Gurid dum! Ragshid shirzlum!Run them down! Tear them to pieces!Do you smell it? The scent of fear?Nuzdigid? Nuzdi gast?Do you smell it? The scent of fear?I remember your father reeked of it.Ganziliz-i unarug obod nauzdanish.I remember your father reeked of it.Thorin son of Thrain.Torin undag Train.Thorin son of Thrain.Bring this one to me.Kod toragid biriz.This one is mine.Kill the others!Gorid argil!Kill the others!Drink their blood!Shog agradol!Drink their blood!Bring me the dwarf's head!Biriz torag khobdidol!Bring me the dwarf's head!Kill him completely!Gorid dum!Kill him!THE DESOLATION OF SMAUGTHE DESOLATION OF SMAUGTHE DESOLATION OF SMAUGPursue them!Abgurid!-Let us attack now!Bû hum margyam!Attack them now!Kill the dwarvish filth!Gorim shûgi khozdayilKill the Dwarf filth while they sleep!No, we wait until they leave!Shâ, shulim nar i arangish!No. The Beast stands guard.We cut them down on the road.Zadgarimid ru mong.We will kill them on the road.I bring the news from Dol Guldur. The Master summons you!Ginai-nu toragin Guldur-ob. Dorgun toragishig.They are gathering in Dol Guldur. The Master has summoned you!My Master, aren't we allowed to track them?Dorguz, turim shâ nuzdid?Do we call off the hunt????Nuzdanumish. Thrak golbil akar-nu agh nash?I have a task for you. Do you still thirst for Dwarf blood?Now some sleep!Hum glozi ash!The gates are guarded.Ugly Elves! They guard their territoryShûgi golgai! Tud-dâd nu.Not all of them… follow me!Kill them quickly to the last man!Gor! Zib! Goridug!Slay them all!Kill her! Kill the elf woman!Gor-ash! Gor-golginul!Kill her! Kill the She-Elf!The dwarves will escape! After them!Khozdayin obguryash! Abgurid!After them!Keep up with the dwarves.Ban khozdai-go.After them!Don’t let them go away!Shâ-mogi obguryash!Cut them off!I do not answer to dogs, She-Elf!Shâ-hakhtiz khunai-go, Golgi!I do not answer to dogs, She-Elf!???Tum nash. Agra-yi.Dwarf blood! They were here!There is another smell. A Man was it.Nuzdi-arg nash. Hum ân bunish.There is another scent…Man flesh!They have hidden, but it is dangerous.Keranish ô kirzad.They have found a way to cross the lake.Wizard!Zidgu!The Wizard has come.He is lifting the spell. He will find us.Obtoragish gulum-nu. GimyashimHe is lifting the spell. He will find us.So it is.Hurnash.Yes…he will.You’ve come too late, old man!Nakhig lo shulun, Sharrukû!You have come too late, Wizard!It is done!Gorz nash!It is done!Do not expect we are few. He is reborn! Come!Ommig shâ zog. Undagush nakh!He is everywhere… We are legion!Run them down!Gurid dum!Run them down!The filthy dwarf scum, I smell them here.Shugi Khozd-shrakhun, hum nuzdidiz.-Oakenshield escaped!Ekinskeld obguranid!Oakenshield has gone!Hurry! We are leaving!Gur! Arangim!Fall back! Regroup at the bridge!Take news to Dol Guldur! Oakenshield reached Erebor!Zidgar Guldur-nar! Ekinskeld Erebor-nar nakhan!Send word to Dol Guldur… Oakenshield has reached the Mountain.Hurry! Follow me!Gur! Abguriz!Go! You! Come with me.THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIESTHE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIESTHE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIESLet them come to you!Mog i nakhyash du ki!Let them come to you!Quickly! To the lake!Gur du lôg!
EnglishBlack SpeechSubtitle in the moviesTHE DESOLATION OF SMAUGTHE DESOLATION OF SMAUGTHE DESOLATION OF SMAUGOne Ring to rule them all,Ash nazg durbatulûk,-One Ring to find them,Ash nazg gimbatul,-One Ring to bring them all,Ash nazg thrakatulûk-and in the darkness bind them,agh burzum-ishi krimpatul-???Zad thraka'ash. Zad thraka'ash gishu.We grow in number. We grow in strength.???Snakun nak.You will lead my armies.What of Oakenshield?Mod Ekinskeldu?What of Oakenshield?War is coming!Kutmu nakhash!War is coming!???Zad nathagash slangm-hu.You promised me his head.???Torum-nu shabala.Death will come to all.You know who I am, to me you are known!Ziduk ya nan, uzu nak zidân!There is no light, wizard... that can defeat darkness.THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIESTHE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIESTHE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIESOne of three which for Elves were made.Ash ob shre ya golugu buganush khurân.One of the three Elven Rings.The Ring of Fire! Where are the others?Nazg ghâshshu! Makha argu nash?The Ring of Fire! Where are the others?Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,Shre nazg golugranu kilmi-nudu,Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,Ombi kuzddurbagu gundum-ishi bagu,Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,One light in the darknessAsh zil burzum-ishiOne light alone in the darkness.Angmar will rise!Darzbandu ghurizash!So shall the Kingdom of Angmar rise.All shall come to dust and be forgotten.Srag glizdu nakhizish, agh bugash obzidân-Where are the other two Elven rings?Makha nash goi nazg ghar golugshu-THE LORD OF THE RINGSTHE LORD OF THE RINGSTHE LORD OF THE RINGSI smell your blood.Nubin sherkuk.-I shall devour it, eat it all, eat all the world.Rakhizinash, matizinashûk, matizin umbrûk-There is no life in the cold, in the dark.Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi.-Here in the void there is only the death.Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum.-SHADOW OF MORDORSHADOW OF MORDORSHADOW OF MORDORA sacrifice of blood and bone.Ghurarmu shirkush' agh azgushu.-A bridge for you to follow.Zant ya apakurizak.-You will emerge a shadow.Gûl-n'anakhizak.-I have a gift for you Celebrimbor!Armunu kiyu garzin Kalparinkar!-Your world will end in fire!Ghâsh-ishi umbruk ongizash!-Learn some Black Speech!Yamburz-nu zaida!-You embarass me!Bushtân karikin!-

Fredius:
Just found this beauty, well done Radagast! This is so useful.

Great to see that I'm not the only one being geeky about this.  [ugly]
Tolkien's languages have always been one of the most interesting parts of the universe for me. Seeing David Salo or other (amateur) linguists try to develop the languages further just fascinates me. Especially Elvish but also Khuzdul are now really mature languages, while the Black Language and Orcish have always remained somewhat mysterious.

By using Salo's word list and analyzing the familiar lines from the movie, I'm now able to formulate some sentences in Neo-Black Speech and Neo-Orcish, which I think is really dope. While I don't know yet if I'll ever be able to put it to good use, at least I'd know I could if ever needed.  xD

On that note: Biri borz dorgun! (For the Dark Lord!)

Fredius:
Hahah trust me they are very useful, especially because I am friends with a voice actor who can nail the Orcish accent used in the movies xD.

By the by, I noticed many BotFA llines are missing (like Azog commanding Bolg to travel to Gundabad or the orders he gives on top of Raven-hill). Will these be added to your list at some point as well?

Unfortunately, I have not been able to decipher them yet. As mentioned in the opening post, subtitles and what is actually said don't always match. I have tried several times, but words seem to be used that do not appear in Salo's word list so far. In other places I can decipher words, but the grammar is not correct.

Navigation

[0] Themen-Index

[#] Nächste Seite

Zur normalen Ansicht wechseln