28. Mär 2024, 21:57 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Hero Submod Community-sourced English Translation  (Gelesen 1416 mal)

The_Necromancer0

• Edain Team
  • Beschützer des verbotenen Weihers
  • There is evil there that does not sleep
I'm starting a thread in hope of getting some help with the translation of the Hero Submod. I've already made a rough start on it using DeepL to translate the strings, now they need to be polished and bug fixed.

The translations suggested here will first be used as part of the unofficial translation and then, once CMG releases an official translation, they will simply become suggestions for the official translation.

How does this work?
Collaboration among anonymous users can be somewhat complicated, especially on a task like this. So it's important that everyone follow a simple procedure. If you are interested in contributing here's how you can do so:

Download the string file - You can download the file here. This file contains five columns. The name of the string, the original string, the DeepL translation, the current community-sourced translation and your suggestion. You only need to modify the 5th column, this is where you input your suggestions. The others are just there for reference.

Make your changes - You are free to suggest translations for any of the existing strings, however, it is recommended that you aim mainly for strings where the "Community Translation" states "MISSING". To make a suggestion, simply fill the "Suggested Translation" column for the string you want to make a suggestion for.

Send your suggestions - You can send your changes by uploading it somewhere and either posting a link here or messaging me on Discord or Modding-union. I will then look over the list of suggestions and add the ones that meet a certain standard to the document. I will try to update the document with new suggestions as often as possible.

How to translate
This part is aimed mostly at non-German speakers that seek to contribute. German speakers have an easier time deciphering the true meaning of a string so this won't be as useful to them.

Translation can be hard when you don't speak the original language. Subtleties get lost when using automated translation tools and the meaning of a long string can get very muddled. Thankfully, when translating a game there are a few context cues you can rely on to get a better understanding of the intended meaning. As a note, it is recommended to use DeepL to translate German to English as it is more reliable and also provides alternative translations that can be used to mitigate the issues stated above.  

When translating strings it is useful to have the game open to be able to reference it in cases where an ability description gets a bit confusing. The visual appearance of an ability can be an important context cue.  

An example
"Verteidiger der Gemeindschaft", one of Aragorn's abilities, translates to "Defender of the community". This sounds kind of awkward, so, we translated words individually to try and understand what happened. When we translate "Gemeindschaft", we discover that an alternative translation is "Fellowship". If we connect this discovery with the fact that it's one of Aragorn's abilities it becomes much more logical for the ability title to be "Defender of the Fellowship". However, "Defender" is kind of awkward to use, it's not commonly used within a fantastical setting. This is where you're allowed to put your own twist on it. Synonyms of "Defender" include "Protector", "Guard", "Guardian" and many more. Pick one of those to replace the word "Defender". You would then end up with something like "Protector of the Fellowship". Sometimes the meaning of a translation is not lost but the words used don't really fit within the context of a BMFE game.

Finally, it is important to remember to capitalise the right words. The common practice within Edain is to capitalise all nouns within ability titles and to use standard rules in ability descriptions.

Credits
Here go the names of those whose suggestions have contributed to the translation
Come chat Edain on Discord: https://discord.gg/CMhkeb8
Questions on the Mod? Visit the Official Wiki: http://edain.wikia.com/

CMG

• Lehenfürst
  • Gnade ist ausverkauft !
Re: Hero Submod Community-sourced English Translation
« Antwort #1 am: 12. Feb 2022, 09:48 »
Again thank you for your efforts  ;) Hopefully I will have some time to go over the translations and see what I can do  :)

What I noticed when going over the file is that I have a lot of strings in there connected to abilities that are not used anymore. Looks like I need to to some cleanup work  [ugly]
Avatarsammlung für die Community

Wer Hilfe beim Ausformulieren eines Konzeptes braucht oder meine ganz persönliche Meinung zu einem eigenen Konzept wissen will, PM an mich. Das Konzept muss aber erst folgenden Richtlinien entsprechen:
Konzeptdiskussion Richtlinien