28. Mär 2024, 16:41 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Cirdan proposed ability alteration  (Gelesen 3348 mal)

Malhakai

• Bilbos Festgast
Cirdan proposed ability alteration
« am: 7. Mai 2022, 10:03 »
Mae govannen fellow Edain fans,

I wanted to propose a slight alteration to Cirdan of the Imladris faction. I feel that his ability 'Into the West' is good, but could possibly be fine tuned.

The ability granted to Durin, to 'send a unit to Khazad-dum, returning as a veteran' is a great concept and the inspiration for my proposed alteration.

Instead of Cirdan teleporting units across the map, what if he sent the target battalion into the west. After a duration, and respecting the current CP, a more powerful unit returns to fight for the free peoples.

Thinking about how some Noldor sailed into the West, lived and learnt from the Valar and then chose to return to Middle Earth, I felt that this idea felt accurate within the lore. In regards to what unit returns, I initially thought a 'Veteran of the Last Alliance' unit however feel that does not fit. Noldor returning to Middle Earth is also rare too, so I would propose a new unique unit, limited to only 1 be the unit that returns from Cirdan's ability. I was thinking of the Elves that protect the Resting Camp from the spell 'Journey to Valinor'. The wiki says they are powerful units that deal AoE damage.

Curious what other's thoughts are. Looking forward to reading Middle Earth loremaster's points of view :-)

Thank-you for your time.

Watcher

• Thain des Auenlandes
Re: Cirdan proposed ability alteration
« Antwort #1 am: 9. Mai 2022, 07:58 »
I am perhaps not as masterful in lore as some others here, but I believe those Elves that returned to Middle-Earth was an affair that the Valar only allowed once, and this was quite a ways from the Third Age. After this time, Elves were only allowed to return by the express-permission of the Valar.

I am also a fan of Into the West as it currently is, though I'll grant it isn't necessarily fitting to Cirdan as he neither called Elves to the Grey Havens nor went with them personally to the Undying Lands until every other ship had left, yet this ability seems to suggest one or the other.

Regardless, I'd personally prefer Into the West remained as it is now; though I am perhaps but one voice.

Until our next meeting.
"The pool is up to the west-gate..."

Elendils Cousin 3. Grades

• Administrator
  • Ringträger
  • German, Motherfucker! Do you speak it?
Re: Cirdan proposed ability alteration
« Antwort #2 am: 9. Mai 2022, 18:32 »
I agree with Watcher here - the journey into the West was a one-way trip for the Elves. They left Middle-Earth behind, which is why the later ages were dominated by Men. As it stands now, the ability is supposed to represent that all Elves who wanted to leave for Valinor came to Cirdan at the Grey Havens. You are right that technically, they did not answer his call and instead initiated their journey themselves; however, giving this ability to Cirdan is a more elegant solution in regards to gameplay for various reasons.