16. Apr 2024, 09:17 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Ship Design and Name Changes  (Gelesen 760 mal)

Watcher

• Thain des Auenlandes
Ship Design and Name Changes
« am: 7. Okt 2022, 08:14 »
I know the Edain Team doesn't have much interest in ships (and to tell the truth, neither do I) but I think they can still benefit from some change to make them a bit more lore-friendly if they are to remain in the mod.

Below I will list each faction, the ships they currently have in the mod, the new ship ideas, and a little bit of reasoning for the changes. Please note, however, that I am not good with design ideas so its up to those more talented than I to figure out how they should look (if this gets approved, of course).

Nonetheless, I have given a few thoughts on what they could look like.

Also, I apologize for the look of this suggestion. I am on mobile and it quite complicates matters on this forum. I have still attempted to make it as little of an eyesore as possible.

With that out of the way, lets jump right in!

[Gondor]:

(Current Ships):
- Gondor Transport.
- Gondor Dreadnought.
- Gondor Siege Vessel.
- Dol Amroth Battleship.

(New Ships):
- Pelargir Transport.
- Pelargir Battleship.
- Dol Amroth Warship (mounted with either a trebuche or a ballista).
- Dol Amroth Flagship (exactly the same as the Dol Amroth Battleship).

Gondor currently has a mix of Gondor and Dol Amroth themed ships, and while this is fitting, I believe the other dock-city should also have some representation. Therefore I propose that the Transport and Dreadnought should be renamed and crafted in the style of Pelargir, while the two heavier ships will bear the craftsmanship of Dol Amroth.

I think the Flagship should give some sort of "Naval Leadership" to make it more interesting than just a bigger boat.

[Rohan]:

(Current Ships):
- Rohan Transport.
- Rohan Battleship.
- Rohan Bombardship.
- Dol Amroth Battleship.

(New Ships):
- Rohan Transport.
- Rohan Battleship.
- Rohan Warship (mounted with an Onagar).
- Rohan Windship (a Rohan version of the Dwarven Wind Yachtsman).

Admittedly I have little ideas for Rohan. They're just not a seafaring faction, but I still think they could benefit from a few changes in name and design. More viking-esque boats and Rohirrim sails.

The Windship is currently a very fast ship, and I think that fits well with Rohan.

[Lothlórien]:

(Current Ships):
- Elven Transport.
- Elven Warship.
- Elven Bombardment Ship.
- Elven Storm Ship.

(New Ships):
- Dorwinion Transport.
- Dorwinion Battleship.
- Dorwinion Warship (mounted with a Ballista).
- Dorwinion Windship (Dorwinion version of the Dwarven Wind Yachtsman).

Lothlórien Elves aren't a seafaring people; they've no great shipwrights among them like Imladris. However, there is a nearby Elven kingdom that is most likely knowledgeable in shipmaking; The Elves of Dorwinion. Currently, Dorwinion is only represented in the mod in passing, therefore I believe that  the best way to add these Elves to the game is through ships; they are said to be traders, after all, so surely they must have some skill in ship making.

The Windship appears again, fitting with the ambush-tactics of the Silvan Elves.

[Imladris]:

(Current Ships):
- Elven Transport.
- Elven Warship.
- Elven Bombardment Ship.
- Elven Storm Ship.

(New Ships):
- Mithlond Transport.
- Mithlond Battleship.
- Mithlond Warship (mounted with a Ballista).
- Mithlond Storm Ship (Same as it is currently).

All Imladris ships should be renamed in order to signify their crafters. "Mithlond" seems like a fitting replacement for "Elven". The design is fine, otherwise.

The Stormship could represent the Noldor's relationship with the Valar. Perhaps its not actually sailed by anyone, but rather guided by the waves?

[Dwarves (Erebor)]:

(Current Ships):
- Dale Transport.
- Battleship of Dale.
- Dale Bombardship.
- Dale Wind Yachtsman.

(New Ships):
- Dalish Transport.
- Dalish Battleship.
- Dalish Warship.
- Dalish Windship.

Dwarves of Erebor are pretty much fine as they are. Just a few name changes.

[Dwarves (Iron Hills)]:

(Current Ships):
- Dale Transport.
- Battleship of Dale.
- Dale Bombardship.
- Dale Wind Yachtsman.

(New Ships):
- Laketown Transport Ship.
- Laketown Battleship.
- Laketown Warship.
- Laketown Windship.

Given the time the Iron Hills faction is supposed to be set in, it makes more sense that they have Laketown ships instead of Dale ships.

Laketown Ships would look like Dale Ships, but be made out of similar wood to the Town Hall, and maybe be a bit smaller.

[Dwarves (Ered Luin)]:

(Current Ships):
- Dale Transport.
- Battleship of Dale.
- Dale Bombardship.
- Dale Wind Yachtsman.

(New Ships):
- Laketown Transport Ship.
- Laketown Battleship.
- Laketown Warship.
- Laketown Windship.

Pretty much the same as the Iron Hills, not to mention Laketown is its subfaction.

[Mordor]:

(Current Ships):
- Corsair Transport.
- Corsair Black Ship.
- Corsair Bombardment Ship.
- Doom Ship.

(New Ships):
- Corsair Transport.
- Corsair Battleship.
- Corsair Warship (Mounted with a ballista). 
- Umbar Black Ship (either a Corsair version of the Dol Amroth Flagship or the Dwarf Wind Yachtsman).

The "Doom Ship" was always a ridiculous idea, and I'm surprised it managed to survive its way into the Edain Mod. A Troll rowing an explosive boat?! Preposterous! I think we'd all rather see a more seaworthy vessel in the Mordor faction.

I think the remaining ships should be redesigned, maybe made a bit darker. The banners should definetly be replaced, either with a golden anchor or the Red Eye adorning the sails.

[Isengard]:

(Current Ships):
- Corsair Transport.
- Corsair Black Ship.
- Doom Ship.

(New Ships):
- Ruffian Transport Ship.
- Ruffian Raid Ship.
- Ruffian Siege Ship (mounted with a ballista).
- Isengard Doom Ship (an invention of Saruman's; a device of metal and wheels, filled with explosive mines and headed by an Uruk-Hai Berserker)

Isengard, like Rohan, has no need for ships. However, due to game balancing, they must be given vessels. Since the idea of Uruk-hai or Dunlandings building ships is unlikely at best, I think the best bet would be to have Saruman's other mannish allies, the Ruffians, be the crafters. These are men that travel far and wide, acting as spies for the White Hand, and ships are a good way to sail down the Anduin looking for the Ring.

Design wise, the Ruffian ships could maybe use the old Corsair ship models, with either a completely black sail, or a sail bearing the White Hand.

The Isengard Doom Ship, on the other hand, would be a large ship carrying Explosive Mines with a single Uruk Berserker on board, ready to blow enemy ships to smithereens!

[Angmar]:

(Current Ships):
- Corsair Transport.
- Corsair Black Ship.
- Doom Ship.

(New Ships):
- Black Numenorean Transport.
- Black Numenorean Battleship.
- Black Numenorean Warship (mounted with a ballista or a Catapult).
- Black Numenorean Flagship (Angmar version of Dol Amroth Flagship).

The Numenoreans of old were a seafaring people, and it stands to reason that the Black Numenoreans were as well.

I'm thinking for design they would be a darker and more metallic version of the Gondor ships, with the Iron Crown adorning the sails.

[Misty-Mountains]:

(Current Ships):
- Corsair Transport.
- Corsair Black Ship.
- Doom Ship.

(New Ships):
- Looted Transport Ship.
- Looted Battleship.
- Looted Warship.
- Looted Windship.

I'll be honest, I'm blanking on ships for the Misty-Mountains, though in my opinion they should probably be looted Dalish/Laketown ships, filled with holes and tears and crudely pieced together with rusted metal.

I'd actually be interested to see them using some terrible sea beasts for naval combat, but I've no ideas for what they could be (and why they'd be coming from the Shipyard).

And that's it. My ideas have been layed out. I can only hope that they'll be taken into consideration, and perhaps a few ideas will be added to them?

I might start working on an idea to change to the Docks as well, but we'll see.

I'll try to reply to any comments as soon as I can.

Bye for now!
« Letzte Änderung: 7. Okt 2022, 08:32 von Watcher »
"The pool is up to the west-gate..."