29. Mär 2024, 00:55 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Grima Wormtongue, Traitor-King of Rohan  (Gelesen 2986 mal)

Watcher

• Thain des Auenlandes
Grima Wormtongue, Traitor-King of Rohan
« am: 10. Okt 2022, 17:11 »
After some good feedback, I've edited the proposal. The original idea can be found in the spoiler at the bottom.

Below are the proposed changes:

Grima, using the power of the One Ring, breaks free of Saruman's control and takes over Rohan through sabotage and the command of his puppet-king.

Théoden succumbs to the venomous words of Grima and becomes his puppet. Grima takes control and Théoden follows him around like a passive creep. He cannot be freed as long as Grima has the Ring and must die before Glory of the King can take effect.

Traitor-King Grima has the following abilities:

- Traitor-King - Grima takes Eowyn for his wife against her will, and will not let her escape, yet will do everything he can to protect his love, even at the expense of himself. If Eowyn is near Grima, she will become invulnerable and gain an increased life-regeneration, but her movement speed, will be reduced by -50%, she will be unable to mount, and her ability cooldowns will be slowed by 20%. The Ring's corruption reduces Grima's movement speed by -50%. Theoden's mind may not be his own, but he still inspires his people. Nearby allied units will gain +15 armour and damage. (Passive ability)

I feel like a vital aspect is missing from the Grima Ring-Hero; his "love" for Eowyn. The changes to this ability seek to rectify that. Much like how Ring-Hero Glorious Theoden protects his family, Grima will do the same for his love. However, in doing so, Eowyn's greatest fear will be realised; she will be trapped in a cage of possession by Grima.

Gameplay wise, Grima could act as an area of retreat for Rohan's Hero-Killer, but she won't be able to leave it easily, and while she may still be able to fight against heroes, she will find it much more difficult with the slowed cooldown and inability to chase down wounded heroes.

The idea behind Grima's movement speed reduction represents his unwillingness to leave the safety of "his" kingdom, as well as the corruption the Ring would have on a weak-willed mortal such as him.

- Banishment to Exile - Grima banishes all heroes of Rohan who oppose his rule. If any Rohan hero besides Eowyn are near him they will suffer continuous damage. The very thought of Grima on the throne of Rohan fills the heroes of Rohan with wrath. Heroes of Rohan will gain +75% damage and be unable to be knocked back. If a hero of Rohan dies, they can be revived with 20% increased cost and will take 20% longer to revive. (Passive Ability)

This spell would no longer be single-target; instead, it would be a passive ability, making it far stronger than the original. However, in return, a fallen hero would be more costly and take longer to revive, perhaps representing Grima sabotaging the attempt much like how he might have done with Theodred.

- Grima's Taxes - Grima Wormtongue sends his thugs to extort taxes from the people of Rohan. The targeted resource building immediately produces triple recourses, but is damaged by 30% of its health and has half armour for 3 minutes.

A glance at what the rule of Grima might look like; a cruel king who demands payment from his subjects. Being able to use it on any recourse building shows the reach of his cruel hand.

- Grima's Traitors - Grima replaces the soldiers of Rohan with his own loyal thugs. The targeted Peasants or Rohirrim are replaced with Traitors of Rohan. Traitors will only last for a couple of minutes and do not benefit from Grima's rule unless they are bribed to stay. Bribing costs 200 resources. Once bribed, Traitors will stay permanently and be able to receive upgrades, and will gain a larger benefit from "Traitor-King" (+25% Damage and Armour).

Every king needs loyal soldiers, otherwise they wouldn't last very long. Grima has his traitors. While not initially loyal, they can be bribed into loyalty, allowing them to act as Grima's soldiers and letting them benefit from Rohan upgrades and Grima's leadership. Grima can now also convert Rohirrim into Traitors.

- Defend Me! - Grima orders his forces to return to the keep and defend him. For 30 seconds, all friendly units on the map become invulnerable and get a +30% speed boost, but they cannot attack for the ability's duration. Grima additionally gains +30% armour for the duration. Eowyn will also gain an increase of +30% to armour.

This is not a retreat from the battlefield as the old ability, but a call back to defend the king. This will allow you to protect Grima if you so desire it, to further benefit from his boons, though they are few. Along with this, Eowyn will gain an armour increase, though it will not benefit her if she is near Grima as she will be immune to damage.

I am most grateful to Elendil's Cousin, Halbarad, and The Necromancer for their ideas to improve this concept, though further improvement is always welcome.

« Letzte Änderung: 3. Mai 2023, 09:59 von Watcher »
"The pool is up to the west-gate..."

Elendils Cousin 3. Grades

• Administrator
  • Ringträger
  • German, Motherfucker! Do you speak it?
Re: Grima Wormtongue, Traitor-King of Rohan
« Antwort #1 am: 10. Okt 2022, 17:38 »
I've edited the formating of your post a bit to improve readability, I hope you don't mind.

Some interesting ideas in there, this is one of our ringheroes that could certainly be improved a bit.

Halbarad

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Soldat Gondors
« Antwort #2 am: 10. Okt 2022, 22:03 »
I like it! Its quite ironic how he can save the one he loves from death, but not himself!  [ugly]
The way you implemented these things sound vercy convincing to me. It doesn't even sound too strong for an 800-Ressources-Ringhero (if it would have been, I would have thought about giving him a system similar to the one of Lutz Farning where he would need to bribe people with money so that they would follow him).

So I'm in favor of this concept!

The_Necromancer0

• Edain Team
  • Beschützer des verbotenen Weihers
  • There is evil there that does not sleep
« Antwort #3 am: 11. Okt 2022, 00:35 »
This is an interesting concept. Some food for thought:

Creating a hero which punishes the player is quite a balancing exercise, you want to force the player to constantly have to choose. To that effect, both the malus and the bonus have to be carefully tuned. I think there's a good start of a concept but at the moment the malus that Grima provides is too strong, it would not be worth it to get the ring, especially when Theoden Ednew is so good with the ring. I think reducing the malus from Traitor-king would help.

Zitat
- Banishment to Exile - Grima banishes all heroes of Rohan who oppose his rule. If any Rohan hero besides Eowyn are near him they will suffer continuous damage. The very thought of Grima on the throne of Rohan fills the heroes of Rohan with wrath. Heroes of Rohan will gain +75% damage and be unable to be knocked back. If a hero of Rohan dies, they can only be revived once Theoden is freed from his spell. (Passive Ability)

I like the idea of transforming this into an AoE passive. It makes sense, with the full powers Grima would not have to scheme to slowly be able to exile heroes, he could do it instantly. However, I would change the downside of exile, as not being able to revive heroes on a permanent effect would be too much of a downside. I would opt for a softer downside, perhaps increased costs.

Zitat
- Grima's Traitors - Grima replaces the soldiers of Rohan with his own loyal thugs. The targeted Peasants or Rohirrim are replaced with Traitors of Rohan. Traitors of Rohan cannot receive upgrades, but gain a larger benefit from "Traitor-King" (+25% Damage and Armour).

If these traitors are still temporary, allowing them to purchase upgrades could force another interesting choice onto the player. After all, Grima has full access to the armories of Rohan now...

I have other thoughts but I would like to see how this concept develops first.

Come chat Edain on Discord: https://discord.gg/CMhkeb8
Questions on the Mod? Visit the Official Wiki: http://edain.wikia.com/

Watcher

• Thain des Auenlandes
« Antwort #4 am: 11. Okt 2022, 08:42 »
I've edited the formating of your post a bit to improve readability, I hope you don't mind.

Some interesting ideas in there, this is one of our ringheroes that could certainly be improved a bit.

I certainly don't mind having my post's readability improved, I only wish I'd have done it myself beforehand  :D

I'm glad you agree with the premise of my proposal  :)

I like it! Its quite ironic how he can save the one he loves from death, but not himself!  [ugly]
The way you implemented these things sound vercy convincing to me. It doesn't even sound too strong for an 800-Ressources-Ringhero (if it would have been, I would have thought about giving him a system similar to the one of Lutz Farning where he would need to bribe people with money so that they would follow him).

So I'm in favor of this concept!

I thank you for your favour, kind sir  :)

I would like to see the system that you proposed, and I thought of a similar one (though it involved Eomer) that would allow you to kill Grima without sacrificing him to the enemy. I'm still not certain how to go about this, though.

This is an interesting concept. Some food for thought:

Creating a hero which punishes the player is quite a balancing exercise, you want to force the player to constantly have to choose. To that effect, both the malus and the bonus have to be carefully tuned. I think there's a good start of a concept but at the moment the malus that Grima provides is too strong, it would not be worth it to get the ring, especially when Theoden Ednew is so good with the ring. I think reducing the malus from Traitor-king would help.

Zitat
- Banishment to Exile - Grima banishes all heroes of Rohan who oppose his rule. If any Rohan hero besides Eowyn are near him they will suffer continuous damage. The very thought of Grima on the throne of Rohan fills the heroes of Rohan with wrath. Heroes of Rohan will gain +75% damage and be unable to be knocked back. If a hero of Rohan dies, they can only be revived once Theoden is freed from his spell. (Passive Ability)

I like the idea of transforming this into an AoE passive. It makes sense, with the full powers Grima would not have to scheme to slowly be able to exile heroes, he could do it instantly. However, I would change the downside of exile, as not being able to revive heroes on a permanent effect would be too much of a downside. I would opt for a softer downside, perhaps increased costs.

Zitat
- Grima's Traitors - Grima replaces the soldiers of Rohan with his own loyal thugs. The targeted Peasants or Rohirrim are replaced with Traitors of Rohan. Traitors of Rohan cannot receive upgrades, but gain a larger benefit from "Traitor-King" (+25% Damage and Armour).

If these traitors are still temporary, allowing them to purchase upgrades could force another interesting choice onto the player. After all, Grima has full access to the armories of Rohan now...

I have other thoughts but I would like to see how this concept develops first.

Thank you for your advice and feedback. I'll be sure to improve the suggestion  :)
« Letzte Änderung: 11. Okt 2022, 09:32 von Watcher »
"The pool is up to the west-gate..."